Author Topic: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'  (Read 143638 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
Re: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« Reply #280 on: October 31, 2014, 07:19:53 pm »
I think Marshall knew exactly the reaction the interview would garner though John.

But I think you would Al. I think that is nonsense, I think that all parties know that a contract is in the offing regardless, and personally don't think that either cash or length will be an issue to either party.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #281 on: October 31, 2014, 07:25:36 pm »
But I think you would Al. I think that is nonsense, I think that all parties know that a contract is in the offing regardless, and personally don't think that either cash or length will be an issue to either party.

So why give an interview to Bascombe knowing that Gerrard prepared to leave is going to be plastered all over the papers.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: October 31, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »
It started long before then, he was taking injections to play in 2009/2010

I'm assuming that was in relation to my post (the Ignore List is our friend), but yes, this. There were plenty of "Benitez and Gerrard will pay for playing him despite his groin pain" warnings in the 09/10 season. The point was that this was someone who went to a fucking shrink to get himself back on track after thinking his career was over, so accusing Gerrard of bad work ethic to get Rafa fired is a little more than "not that far fetched", it's beyond ludicrous.
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #283 on: October 31, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »
It started long before then, he was taking injections to play in 2009/2010

He played 49 games that season and then played the World Cup in south Africa.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #284 on: October 31, 2014, 07:27:32 pm »
Wonder how many hits the media articles have had.

Nothing sells like bad news...

Even if there really isn't any news to begin with, twist the news to be bad..job done.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #285 on: October 31, 2014, 07:29:17 pm »
He played 49 games that season and then played the World Cup in south Africa.

Irrelevant how many games he played, the fact is he was taking pain killing injections to play. Plenty of sources out there on it including the man himself.

November 2009.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/nov/17/steven-gerrard-injury-liverpool-manchester-city

And unfortunately it ended up getting worse and worse and down the line he had to have surgery, more than once.

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #286 on: October 31, 2014, 07:29:34 pm »
Don't see what's controversial about the quotes from Gerrard.
It is a fact his contract expires at the end of the season.
It is also a fact he intends to keep playing after the end of this season.
So it is natural to say that if he is not extended at Liverpool he will go somewhere else.
He didn't say he'd like some other place. The club will decide if they want to offer him the contract and salary he commands and at this time we don't know what he wants or for how long.
Don't see a fault with Gerrard or the club.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #287 on: October 31, 2014, 07:40:53 pm »
Irrelevant how many games he played, the fact is he was taking pain killing injections to play. Plenty of sources out there on it including the man himself.

November 2009.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/nov/17/steven-gerrard-injury-liverpool-manchester-city

And unfortunately it ended up getting worse and worse and down the line he had to have surgery, more than once.

Gerrard barely played as a kid because he had muscle injuries and has had them for most of his career. In the last six seasons 09/10 was the season he played the most games.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #288 on: October 31, 2014, 07:44:51 pm »
Gerrard barely played as a kid because he had muscle injuries and has had them for most of his career. In the last six seasons 09/10 was the season he played the most games.

;D You are just waffling on rubbish now because you wont dare admit you got it wrong, no one is saying he missed a load of games that season, just that the groin stuff started in 09/10 and thats confirmed by the bloody man himself!! So why you're still trying to argue it otherwise I dont know.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: October 31, 2014, 07:48:28 pm »
What's happened since then, then? It's obviously been discussed but it's a question of terms. Feeding the media a headline is just part of the negotiations.

Rodgers or any football manager don't do the deals.

Rodgers can say what he wants. It's not his decision.

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • Insurance
« Reply #290 on: October 31, 2014, 07:49:37 pm »
Both parties need to know where they stand. And for god sake keep it out the media.

That's basically the bottom line, and how it should be done.  Its funny how so many people think the owners (and others) should do things the Liverpool way, while they turn a blind eye when one of the clubs legends does the exact opposite.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: October 31, 2014, 07:55:26 pm »
So why give an interview to Bascombe knowing that Gerrard prepared to leave is going to be plastered all over the papers.

Its a throw away line in an interview, fuck all, no conspiracies. He basically says if Liverpool want him he's staying, frankly the media can interpret that how they like. Its not about  better contract.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #292 on: October 31, 2014, 07:56:50 pm »
I see MLS in Stevie's future.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: October 31, 2014, 07:59:19 pm »

MLS? funny

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: October 31, 2014, 08:02:23 pm »
Gerrard brought the contract talk up? Hrs obviously angling for a new deal to tie him till retirement.

Loved his little dig at rafa again regarding heighway leaving. I mean we all know Gerrard and Carra would of won the CL and the FA cup and the another CL final under Houllier anyway.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2014, 08:03:10 pm »
;D You are just waffling on rubbish now because you wont dare admit you got it wrong, no one is saying he missed a load of games that season, just that the groin stuff started in 09/10 and thats confirmed by the bloody man himself!! So why you're still trying to argue it otherwise I dont know.

Shame the facts don't back up what you have said in 08/09 the preceding season Gerrard had 4 separate groin/thigh injuries. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #296 on: October 31, 2014, 08:08:16 pm »
Shame the facts don't back up what you have said

Irony alert. You say the groin stuff was 10/11, I've posted an interview with Steven Gerrard talking about his groin injury and how he's getting injections to hopefully sort it in 2009!! It's just an internet forum, you can admit you were wrong.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #297 on: October 31, 2014, 08:09:03 pm »
Its a throw away line in an interview, fuck all, no conspiracies. He basically says if Liverpool want him he's staying, frankly the media can interpret that how they like. Its not about  better contract.

A throwaway line or the whole point of the interview.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #298 on: October 31, 2014, 08:10:26 pm »
Yeah, 40 years ago.

Also, quite a distance between Owen and Torres.

Regardless, point is being missed. What have we won with Torres or Suarez?

Exactly, nothing, we had one great season with both. What happened the following season? We didn't build on either of those great seasons.

Lacked ambition, and sold/lost players and didn't replace them.

In 09 we lost Hyypia, Arbeloa and of course, Alonso. Replaced them with Johnson, Maxi and Aquilani.

This season we lost Suarez, replaced him with a dozen hopefuls.

Liverpool Football Club will always have one star. Our trouble is surrounding him with quality, for a sustained period of time.

To be honest your logic is all over the place, you claim we never replace star players and then say we never win anything when we have them. Your point on Torres is off, he had two good seasons then another 18 months before he was sold (and replaced by a better player at half the price, Suarez)

As regards stars (or galacticos) they are rare beasts, we've probably had more than our fair share all things considered, there is no way that Liverpool can hold onto the best player or players in world football, you can't blame the club for not being mega rich (which is what matters for those players). The only period we really lacked ambition (ie money) was the H&G era. Most people at the beginning of this season thought we had bought well for what we were having to do, it's only now when form and confidence is poor that those buys are being questioned. I for one think they'll come good in time, once they've been coached through and bedded in. We're still involved in all trophies and that's without the best two players of last season.

Also add to that list

Sold Carroll bought Sturridge
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: October 31, 2014, 08:11:01 pm »
Well lets look at it from another angle. If Chelsea offered him the chance to join them at the end of his LFC contract. Could you blame him if he went. I couldn't.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2014, 08:12:07 pm »
Irony alert. You say the groin stuff was 10/11, I've posted an interview with Steven Gerrard talking about his groin injury and how he's getting injections to hopefully sort it in 2009!! It's just an internet forum, you can admit you were wrong.

No mate 10/11 was the season when Gerrard had the surgery, started talking to Peters and missed a shed load of games. The groin injuries didn't start in 09/10 and for about the tenth time 09/10 was the season when Gerrard played the most games in the last six seasons.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:47 pm »
No mate 10/11 was the season when Gerrard had the surgery

No one has said otherwise. This is what I'm saying, instead of just having the balls to admit you were wrong you desperately try and turn it in to a different argument. Hilarious.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2014, 08:15:14 pm »
A throwaway line or the whole point of the interview.

Well that may depend upon how much paranoia has set in

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2014, 08:16:02 pm »
To be honest your logic is all over the place, you claim we never replace star players and then say we never win anything when we have them. Your point on Torres is off, he had two good seasons then another 18 months before he was sold (and replaced by a better player at half the price, Suarez)

As regards stars (or galacticos) they are rare beasts, we've probably had more than our fair share all things considered, there is no way that Liverpool can hold onto the best player or players in world football, you can't blame the club for not being mega rich (which is what matters for those players). The only period we really lacked ambition (ie money) was the H&G era. Most people at the beginning of this season thought we had bought well for what we were having to do, it's only now when form and confidence is poor that those buys are being questioned. I for one think they'll come good in time, once they've been coached through and bedded in. We're still involved in all trophies and that's without the best two players of last season.

Also add to that list

Sold Carroll bought Sturridge

Liverpool fan's mentality since the mid 90s. Eternal optimist.

Sadly, eternal optimism gets you nowhere in top level sport. Not to worry though, we'll replace Sterling with five or six gems, and they'll come good. And if they don't, there's always the batch of gems after we sell our next star after Sterling.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #304 on: October 31, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »
This thread is priceless :lmao

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: October 31, 2014, 08:18:52 pm »
Liverpool fan's mentality since the mid 90s. Eternal optimist.

Sadly, eternal optimism gets you nowhere in top level sport. Not to worry though, we'll replace Sterling with five or six gems, and they'll come good. And if they don't, there's always the batch of gems after we sell our next star after Sterling.

or for those eternal pessimists who saw Sterling as the next Sean Wright Phillips, ready for a loan spell last season.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2014, 08:21:22 pm »
Shame the facts don't back up what you have said in 08/09 the preceding season Gerrard had 4 separate groin/thigh injuries.

And he was bloody brilliant that season. He didn't want to know in 09/10. Especially after that 'senior players' line from Rafa after Villa which was the point of no return. He was busting a gut in 10/11 and gave it everything under Hodgson until the injury struck just after kENNY took over.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #307 on: October 31, 2014, 08:21:23 pm »
MLS? funny
What? He wouldn't cut it there?

Offline LionheartCFC

• But Tiger fucking hates them
  • Anny Roader
  • "I am not a neutral, I am Chelsea"
« Reply #308 on: October 31, 2014, 08:21:40 pm »
Don't see what's controversial about the quotes from Gerrard.
It is a fact his contract expires at the end of the season.
It is also a fact he intends to keep playing after the end of this season.
So it is natural to say that if he is not extended at Liverpool he will go somewhere else.
He didn't say he'd like some other place. The club will decide if they want to offer him the contract and salary he commands and at this time we don't know what he wants or for how long.
Don't see a fault with Gerrard or the club.

Exactly. At Chelsea we got used to this talk from Lamps, JT and Cole for the last few years.
We only offer 1year deals to anyone over 30, and only sit down at the end of the season to discuss extensions/ parting of ways.
This leaves Journalists - in every interview they get - asking about these players futures. So unless liverpool sort out his contract soon, expect Gerrard to be answering many questions in the same way throughout the season. It gets very tedious, but you just have to get used to it as fans.
It might be different for Gerrard as this is the first time he is entering the last year of a contract, but at Chelsea our players know it is a 1year extension regardless of who they are / their status at the club etc, and the contract will be discussed at the seasons end - no earlier. This at least adds a bit of clarity for our players, but im sure Gerrard will have had some dialogue with liverpool by now (whether it's about sorting out an extension already, or him just being told there will be no contract talks till later in the season).
“I am not a fundamentalist in football. What I mean is that in football you have your ideas, you die with your ideas. No. People ask me: what is your model of play?
Model of play against who? When? With which players?
I cannot answer to that. Am I too stupid, or am I too smart?
I think some people in football are becoming a bit fundamentalist"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #309 on: October 31, 2014, 08:23:41 pm »
No one has said otherwise. This is what I'm saying, instead of just having the balls to admit you were wrong you desperately try and turn it in to a different argument. Hilarious.

Dakota posted a quote about things that happened in 10/11 the groin surgery and Peters and tried to link it to Benitez. I correctly pointed out that those things happened the season after Rafa left.

Players with their groin hanging off don't play 49 games and then go to the World Cup.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #310 on: October 31, 2014, 08:24:48 pm »

Look how it has worked out for Lampard at City. An MLS buy/loan back could free up some cash for us to spend on a new player and stay withing financial fair play rules. I'm just saying, might a solid option for all parties...

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #311 on: October 31, 2014, 08:27:53 pm »
It's well known that towards the end of the 08/09 season Gerrard started having serious groin problems and that through 09/10 he was playing through pain, with injections, because of those problems.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #312 on: October 31, 2014, 08:27:57 pm »
And he was bloody brilliant that season. He didn't want to know in 09/10. Especially after that 'senior players' line from Rafa after Villa which was the point of no return. He was busting a gut in 10/11 and gave it everything under Hodgson until the injury struck just after kENNY took over.

Yeh the Villa game after which Gerrard's ghost writer Henry Winter did the hatchet piece about Benitez risking losing the dressing room 3 games into the season. A Marshall story that other journos wouldn't print.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2014, 08:29:38 pm »
This thread is priceless :lmao
Katie Price less ?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2014, 08:32:23 pm »
Yeh the Villa game after which Gerrard's ghost writer Henry Winter did the hatchet piece about Benitez risking losing the dressing room 3 games into the season. A Marshall story that other journos wouldn't print.

Yes, the press were not queueing round the block to attack Benitez, they did it on Gerrard and Carragher instructions. You have mentioned it once or twice, as much bollox then as now.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #315 on: October 31, 2014, 08:32:59 pm »
It's well known that towards the end of the 08/09 season Gerrard started having serious groin problems and that through 09/10 he was playing through pain, with injections, because of those problems.

In the entire 2010 calender year Gerrard didn't miss a single game with a groin or a thigh injury.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #316 on: October 31, 2014, 08:38:36 pm »
In the entire 2010 calender year Gerrard didn't miss a single game with a groin or a thigh injury.

He missed games due to his groin injury in the 09 year, towards the end of the season. He had notably missed the 2nd leg of the CL tie against Chelsea IIRC.

Al, you keep ignoring the what's being written. No one said he was missing games because of his groin injury. In fact the point is the very fact that he was playing through pain, with injections - something Gerrard himself has explicitly mentioned - shows that he was dedicated to the cause, helping us and Rafa, at the risk of further injuring himself.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #317 on: October 31, 2014, 08:41:38 pm »
Yes, the press were not queueing round the block to attack Benitez, they did it on Gerrard and Carragher instructions. You have mentioned it once or twice, as much bollox then as now.

What was the main gripe again John that the Club wasn't English enough and that it was useless lightweight foreigners who were letting us down. Wonder where they got that line from.

Thankfully that great English saviour Roy Hodgson rode to the rescue with the likes of Koncheskey and Cole just a shame we missed out on Carlton Cole and Luke Young Eh.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #318 on: October 31, 2014, 08:43:10 pm »
What was the main gripe again John that the Club wasn't English enough and that it was useless lightweight foreigners who were letting us down. Wonder where they got that line from.

Thankfully that great English saviour Roy Hodgson rode to the rescue with the likes of Koncheskey and Cole just a shame we missed out on Carlton Cole and Luke Young Eh.
Also players` wives suffered with non-english speaking counterparts.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2014, 08:43:39 pm »
Jesus fucking christ, this thread is embarrassing.

I can't believe that there are those that actually think that our captain, the man who has given everything on the pitch for this club and devoted his whole career to it, should call it quits and look to play his football elsewhere. It shouldn't even be an issue, he should be offered the new contract immediately, as in right now. I'm fairly upset that it hasn't happened yet. The man is a fucking legend and yet you still have some on here that will slag him off and take slight digs at him.

I'm hoping that he does indeed want to stay and know he will if offered the new contract. But then again, it's no wonder why he doesn't have that smile on him anymore, we've gone out and replaced one of the best players in the world with 100 million worth of players that as of yet look nowhere good enough for the level we want to be at and he knows it. We took one massive step forward last season, and at the moment it looks as though we've backtracked yet again. Rinse and repeat, and he must be tired of it.