Author Topic: Man Utd 1 Liverpool 0 post game  (Read 111829 times)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Re: Man Utd 1 Liverpool 0 post game
« Reply #1400 on: January 9, 2011, 11:02:40 pm »
Hehe, yeah, speaking as one of the more vocal Kenny doubters it was a very nice first impression from him today, especially considering how long he's been out for. Also goes to show that Hodgson had a level of arrogance his skills simply don't warrant - It was said earlier that Sammy set the team up today, so there's two people who could have shown him the simple basics of how he was going wrong. But then I don't think Hodgson really truly fully grasps that different tactics even exist (and it's not exactly an uncommon thing on here or in british football in general) - but that what we might perceive in tactical terms was to him just down to better players or players on better form - I mean, just to confirm that view he once stated that Wenger was basically one of the people working off of his Wadian tactical blueprint. Bizarre really, but enough about him.

It was indeed great to have Kenny back.
Your latter point is spot on, but your leading sentence goes up in smoke if Rooney scores 2 goals over the next 9 months ;D
Hehehe. Yeah, he's really repaying Fungus' faith in him with his form at the moment - on which note, Rooney succsessfuly putting Fungus' over a barrell like that marks the end of his career as a manager IMO. Sure, he'll carry on for a while, he may even win stuff - but caving into that is his way of telling the world that he hasn't got another rebuild in him, he hasn't got anymore of that ruthless fight left, it's this bunch of tarts plus whatever the Glazers give him until he retires. Though hopefully the old ginsoak is going to have to be dragged out of OT with the team collapsing around him, sticking around just long enough to watch the start of our resergeance as a footballing superpower.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1401 on: January 9, 2011, 11:04:44 pm »
I agree with HBHR in that Stevie's tackle was a red-cardable offence. Two things pissed me off about it though, 1. Stevie even giving the referee a decision to make, and 2. The fact the Webb even knew to send him off. He didn't even see the incident, his back was turned and only saw both players on the ground. I feel he was swayed by the fact that Carrick, the massive fanny that he is, stayed rolling around on the floor for an age.

Otherwise I'm not overly bothered by that defeat as I normally am whenever they beat us. Obviously I'm gutted, and feel cheated by the penalty incident but we looked a different team. Against all odds we put in a performance and showed great battling qualities. What a difference a manager who knows what he's doing makes eh?

I'm excited by Kenny's return and that performance today shows that the players seem to have a bit of belief back. Fair enough we didn't create a whole lot of clear-cut chances, but we were a goal down after a minute and we played for 65 minutes without our captain. It's fair to say it feels like a cloud has been lifted and that we can all unite behind the King and the team.

Onwards and upwards Redmen.

Offline The Dog's Bollock

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1402 on: January 9, 2011, 11:09:31 pm »
Welcome back Kenny
Welcome back heart
Welcome back pride
Welcome back hope

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1403 on: January 9, 2011, 11:10:32 pm »
Yet another irrelevant comparison. I can do this too.

Webb has sent players off before for deliberate hand ball to save a goal. Therefore the red card was correct.

If you're going to refer to prior Webb decisions then at least find one that's the same type of challenge - the law is very clear on the type of thing Gerrard did, as far as I know there is no such clarity on challenging for an aerial ball and sticking your leg out, even if it was a disgusting shithouse high footed disgrace that should have been a red...it was still a challenge more like the one Skrtel got away with against City, not the same type of challenge as Gerrard's at all.

Hold on.  Karate kicking someone in an aerial challenge is not serious foul play or violent conduct?  I'd say it falls under that category more times than Stevie's challenge...

Also, a deliberate handball is actually explicit under the sending off law: "denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity
by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within
his own penalty area)"

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1404 on: January 9, 2011, 11:12:11 pm »
I agree with HBHR in that Stevie's tackle was a red-cardable offence. Two things pissed me off about it though, 1. Stevie even giving the referee a decision to make, and 2. The fact the Webb even knew to send him off. He didn't even see the incident, his back was turned and only saw both players on the ground. I feel he was swayed by the fact that Carrick, the massive fanny that he is, stayed rolling around on the floor for an age.

Otherwise I'm not overly bothered by that defeat as I normally am whenever they beat us. Obviously I'm gutted, and feel cheated by the penalty incident but we looked a different team. Against all odds we put in a performance and showed great battling qualities. What a difference a manager who knows what he's doing makes eh?

I'm excited by Kenny's return and that performance today shows that the players seem to have a bit of belief back. Fair enough we didn't create a whole lot of clear-cut chances, but we were a goal down after a minute and we played for 65 minutes without our captain. It's fair to say it feels like a cloud has been lifted and that we can all unite behind the King and the team.

Onwards and upwards Redmen.
Yeah, your point 2 is a much more relevant debate - if he never saw it, he shouldn't have given it. Completely agree with 1 too, Gerrard should have cut two footed challenges out of his game a while ago because he's hugely risking a red card every time he launches himself like that - and it isn't exactly rare that he does it either.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1405 on: January 9, 2011, 11:13:53 pm »
Yeah, your point 2 is a much more relevant debate - if he never saw it, he shouldn't have given it. Completely agree with 1 too, Gerrard should have cut two footed challenges out of his game a while ago because he's hugely risking a red card every time he launches himself like that - and it isn't exactly rare that he does it either.

The annoying thing (well, one of them) about it is that he's not actually using the left leg as part of the tackle; he just can't be arsed getting it out of the way.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1406 on: January 9, 2011, 11:14:38 pm »
this is the least gutted ive ever been loosing to Utd. Funny feeling. - thanks to the diving bastard Berbatov and some awful reffing and Dalglish returning. Thought MOTM was Kelly and that Gerrard was very unlucky to be sent off. Thought Raul did not play very well but Reina did as did Babel when he came on.

The king has returned...
walk on...walk on...

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1407 on: January 9, 2011, 11:15:39 pm »
Hold on.  Karate kicking someone in an aerial challenge is not serious foul play or violent conduct?  I'd say it falls under that category more times than Stevie's challenge...

Also, a deliberate handball is actually explicit under the sending off law: "denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity
by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within
his own penalty area)"
My point being that, like with deliberate handball, they SPECIFICALLY altered the laws to cover 2 footed challenges and studs up challenges, like they did with tackles from behind, where with De Jongs it *could* be interpreted as a high foot rather than a deliberate challenge, for example. Something like the Cole challenge against Arsenal, or the average Paul Scholes tackle, is a fair comparison, De Jongs isn't. The only thing De Jong and Gerrard's challenge really have in common for the purposes of this discussion is that they both should have been red card offences. Compare De Jong's challenge to Skrtel's against City by all means, but it's not the same type of thing as Gerrard's.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1408 on: January 9, 2011, 11:17:02 pm »
Egg - fucking - zactly...  The one thing that was absent from the disussion of the game today was the lame old "what do expect given the squad he was left with". There wasn't and isn't a lot wrong with it. We need players if we want to get back to where we should be but the foundations are there.

It's why I was do desperate or Roy to go. Not just the garbage we played or the resulting failure to win games, but the real prospect of him wrecking those foundations and building his own squad.

Totally, never bought that shit squad stuff, fools blame their tools.

Possibly the only time I've ever been relatively content after getting beat by United. (Before you start I mean 'relatively'), now we can concentrate on making all those journalists, Patrick Barclay particularly, Danny Kelly, the LMA, Roy and his mates, deluded former players, Laurie Sanchez etc look like the fools they truly are. Watch them turn like worms . We should build up a list.

All in all it feels like I've finally woken up from a bad dream (What was weird about this dream was that I felt like I was waking up from a bad dream-October- but actually I was still in the middle of the bad dream)

Finally, its morning.

As for Roy, don't feel sorry at all, if he'd walked away I might of been but he had to wait to buy those bags to carry off all those hard earned millions, watch him try and claim he was hard done to, he's just won more than the lottery winner on saturday night.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1409 on: January 9, 2011, 11:17:59 pm »
At the end of the day, they're still the only team who is unbeaten in the league. I was watching the game today thinking "They'll never ever win the league playing like that", but the problem is that all the others are playing even worse. How the fuck they have gone without losing yet is beyond me, but they're quite likely to win the league in my view.

Another big problem is that the only other teams who are close to them are City and Arsenal. I'm still not sure whether City have it in them to win games on a consistant basis. Especially, with what could be another busy transfer-window for them. They already have Dzeko who'll have to bed in and for whom they'll have to change their line-up. Add one or two more new players and it could get difficult. And I'm afraid Arsenal will do what they do every year. Injury to van Persie once he gets going again and then they'll just crumble.

But that's Mancs for you. They traditionally don't do too well in the big games (vs the "big four") but they know how to pulverise the minnows. That's why they win the league. Of course over the years, they had players like Ronaldo, which makes the way they play look more "attractive"

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1410 on: January 9, 2011, 11:18:50 pm »
The annoying thing (well, one of them) about it is that he's not actually using the left leg as part of the tackle; he just can't be arsed getting it out of the way.
Though like I say he goes in two footed really quite often - it's something he should really cut out of his game altogether, but then the kind of challenge he made today has been there as long as I can remember, and in some ways I think it's gotten worse in recent years, perhaps because Refs generally treat him with (comparitive) kid gloves - that elbow against shithead Michael Brown for example. Deserved it may have been but I can't remember him doing that kind of thing too much when he was younger (as opposed to today's kind of full blooded, stupid, but at least genuine in intent challenges which he's always made).

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1411 on: January 9, 2011, 11:20:14 pm »
Yup, that is exactly what I have been told last season ...

By the way, they are even worse this season ...

It doesn't matter how bad they are this season. If everyone else is worse they will win it.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1412 on: January 9, 2011, 11:21:25 pm »
But that's Mancs for you. They traditionally don't do too well in the big games (vs the "big four") but they know how to pulverise the minnows. That's why they win the league. Of course over the years, they had players like Ronaldo, which makes the way they play look more "attractive"

United are very average. It's just unfortunate that so are everyone else.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #1413 on: January 9, 2011, 11:22:17 pm »
At the end of the day, they're still the only team who is unbeaten in the league. I was watching the game today thinking "They'll never ever win the league playing like that", but the problem is that all the others are playing even worse. How the fuck they have gone without losing yet is beyond me, but they're quite likely to win the league in my view.

Another big problem is that the only other teams who are close to them are City and Arsenal. I'm still not sure whether City have it in them to win games on a consistant basis. Especially, with what could be another busy transfer-window for them. They already have Dzeko who'll have to bed in and for whom they'll have to change their line-up. Add one or two more new players and it could get difficult. And I'm afraid Arsenal will do what they do every year. Injury to van Persie once he gets going again and then they'll just crumble.

It is easy to make the wrong conclusion ... Now, look at this:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2010-2011/true-table/away

It is true that the Mancs have 2 games in hand, but both games are away (Blackpool & Chelsea), and their away form has been very mediocre this season ... And as we have learned in a very painful way in the 2008/09 season, 11 draws and (only) 2 defeats don't win you the Premier League title ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #1414 on: January 9, 2011, 11:22:55 pm »
My point being that, like with deliberate handball, they SPECIFICALLY altered the laws to cover 2 footed challenges and studs up challenges, like they did with tackles from behind, where with De Jongs it *could* be interpreted as a high foot rather than a deliberate challenge, for example. Something like the Cole challenge against Arsenal, or the average Paul Scholes tackle, is a fair comparison, De Jongs isn't. The only thing De Jong and Gerrard's challenge really have in common for the purposes of this discussion is that they both should have been red card offences. Compare De Jong's challenge to Skrtel's against City by all means, but it's not the same type of thing as Gerrard's.

So whilst it's wrong to break someones leg with a two footed lunge, attempted decapitation is open to interpretation?

And studs up two footed lunges are ok on the grounds that your opponent sees it coming and leaps for dear life?

The real question here is not on the laws of the game but the ability of Howard Webb to officiate a game impartially.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1415 on: January 9, 2011, 11:24:10 pm »

Do you think his challenge was reckless or was it excessive?  In my opinion it was reckless, but not excessive.  Therefor it was definitely a yellow for me.  It was a 50/50 after all.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2011, 11:26:33 pm by Beninger »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1416 on: January 9, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »
Well I truly believe we will mince them at Anfield now, let's hope that if that is the case it costs them the league and, if they are still unbeaten by then (which I can't believe they will) we finish that run.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #1417 on: January 9, 2011, 11:26:08 pm »
I think/thought (rightly or wrongly) that Gerrard flew in because of Meireles shitting out. Just an assumption mind, but looking back on it, it felt like he was showing him what he should be doing, though, going in a bit too heavy if we are honest about it. As both incidents happened virtually one after the other.

Agree Chopper, as did most of the lads around me. It's not the first time Raul has shit out of a challenge - he needs to get himself sorted.

I'm not going to blame Gerrard or Torres and I'm going to look past the missed placed passes and the other negatives today.

Glad to hear a press conference that doesn't make me cringe.

Todays game reminded me of being a kid.

No, not the return of the King to a Liverpool dugout, more the 'Snap, Crackle and Pop' of the fucking seats from the moment Gerrard got sent off.

« Last Edit: January 9, 2011, 11:27:48 pm by OohCampione »
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #1418 on: January 9, 2011, 11:26:30 pm »
The bad news: We have lost ...

The good news: We have finally played with some heart ...

The best news: Mancs don't stand a chance of winning the No19 with this team ...

Thats funny as there going to win it.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1419 on: January 9, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »
Do you think his challenge was wreckless or was it excessive?  In my opinion it was wreckless, but not excessive.  Therefor it was definitely a yellow for me.  It was a 50/50 after all.
AARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH! ;D

ok.

It was two footed - both feet, off the ground, doesn't matter if it was done with murderous intent or Gerrard just wanted to stroke Carricks shins with his pinky-toes to make them feel less sore. Once both Gerrard's feet left the ground in a lunging challenge type fashion it became a clear, unambiguous red card offence.

Same way as the intent behind a professional foul or an elbow to the face doesn't matter either.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1420 on: January 9, 2011, 11:28:55 pm »
AARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH! ;D

ok.

It was two footed - both feet, off the ground, doesn't matter if it was done with murderous intent or Gerrard just wanted to stroke Carricks shins with his pinky-toes to make them feel less sore. Once both Gerrard's feet left the ground in a lunging challenge type fashion it became a clear, unambiguous red card offence.

Same way as the intent behind a professional foul or an elbow to the face doesn't matter either.

So why didn't Rafael get sent off?

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #1421 on: January 9, 2011, 11:29:20 pm »

I'd rather not indulge in conspiracys here but If it's a red, it's a red and you give it because you KNOW it is or you don't give it because it isn't. What it looked like to me today was that Webb shooed everyone away and walked backward, buying time until the replay was shown. Then when he heard the words "give it" come through on his ear-piece, he gave it. Think about it. Look at it again if you have it sky+'d. There's aeon's in between the offence and the brandishing of the card. It reminded me of the Zidane incident in '06. 4th official intervention. The red came out during the public replay too.

Back and to the left. Back and to the left.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1422 on: January 9, 2011, 11:29:25 pm »
The thing I liked most was Kenny taking Torres off. To me, that was him saying "youre not undroppable son, now pull your fuckin socks up!!!
This.

Made some noise today, we really did. The side worked hard, with fuck all luck coming our way, but that's football sometimes. Kelly really impressed me today, against a winger in Giggs who is getting on twice his age and with a huge advantage in terms of experience, yet he stood up to him really well. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against Blackpool next Wednesday.

More fight today, that was the big plus point for me. The players rolled their sleeves up in really tough circumstances and put more fight into ninety minutes than they have in every away game this season preceeding today combined.

As for that cheating twat Berbatov and Webb, well same old, same old innit. Some things never change and if that spineless bastard is the best of his profession in this country, that's a damning verdict on the standard of refereeing in the English game.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1423 on: January 9, 2011, 11:31:09 pm »

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2010-2011/true-table/away

It is true that the Mancs have 2 games in hand, but both games are away (Blackpool & Chelsea), and their away form has been very mediocre this season ... And as we have learned in a very painful way in the 2008/09 season, 11 draws and (only) 2 defeats don't win you the Premier League title ...

No, you're drawing the wrong conclusion. We have learned that you don't win the league with 11 and 2 defeats that's true. However, that season the Mancs needed 90 points to win the league. This season it will take much less to do that. Arsenal could reach 91 points, but only if they win every single game there's left.

No way will that happen. And to be honest, I didn't even take the two games the Mancs have in hand into account. Worst case is that they're one point behind Arsenal and I've already made my point concerning Arsenal and City. I'm not saying that Chelsea or Spurs are out of the title-race, but it won't be easy for them and at the moment it looks like it will be do-able for the Mancs...

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #1424 on: January 9, 2011, 11:31:27 pm »
AARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH! ;D

ok.

No it doesn't.

The referee has to be sure that  the player is not in control of himself. Gerrard initial movement was with one foot, the other merely followed. Gerrard was also meeting the ball head on, Carrick was the one coming in from the side. And of course, Webb never saw it anyway.
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1425 on: January 9, 2011, 11:33:17 pm »
United are very average. It's just unfortunate that so are everyone else.
Yeah, can't believe the luck they are having - Chelsea imploding, Manchester City not sure what their plan is, Spurs are a great entertaining side to watch but that's about it and Arsenal are Arsenal.

Can you imagine what might have happened if Rafa stayed on??? Shit! It could've been OUR year!

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1426 on: January 9, 2011, 11:33:37 pm »
AARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHH! ;D

ok.

You like quoting the law, so let me quote it for you. 

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with EXCESSIVE force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Let's look at definitions:

“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or
consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the
danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary
use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off

So as you can see the intent does matter.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1427 on: January 9, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
We lack pace, width and guile down the flanks, and have done for years. A narrow compact system doesn't use width and thats where we have been for some time.
I agree, I love wingers but they've let us down for so long and they are hard to find. I'd just settle for quality footballers out there mate.
Not Diouf, Heskey, Kuyt, Smicer......A decade of failure.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1428 on: January 9, 2011, 11:33:40 pm »
Do you think his challenge was reckless or was it excessive?  In my opinion it was reckless, but not excessive.  Therefor it was definitely a yellow for me.  It was a 50/50 after all.

Gerrard's action in those tackles is for the right leg to be bent at the knee as he's diving in, then extended to straight as he makes contact. Of course, it could be seen just a way of 'getting' to the ball quickly - but it can look like an attempted 'stamp' as part of the tackle, i.e. excessive.

We could debate it all day, but as HBHR says, he just needs to stop doing it.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1429 on: January 9, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »
Gerrard was also meeting the ball head on, Carrick was the one coming in from the side.

That makes no sense. A circular ball has no "head on" or "side". Neither was tackling the other, they were both going for a loose ball. Therefore neither was coming in from the "side" at all (though it ended up being Gerrard who did, as he was there a fraction later).

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1430 on: January 9, 2011, 11:36:52 pm »
That makes no sense. A circular ball has no "head on" or "side". Neither was tackling the other, they were both going for a loose ball. Therefore neither was coming in from the "side" at all (though it ended up being Gerrard who did, as he was there a fraction later).

If Carrick had got there 0.1 of a second ahead of Gerrard, Carrick would have been in trouble (well, probably a yellow from Webb), but Gerrard was just a fraction late.

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #1431 on: January 9, 2011, 11:37:03 pm »
I agree, I love wingers but they've let us down for so long and they are hard to find. I'd just settle for quality footballers out there mate.
Not Diouf, Heskey, Kuyt, Smicer......A decade of failure.

We need someone like Patrick Berger, could cross and cut inside was really brilliant. Riera could have done much better for us. We need someone like Cristian Rodriguez, brilliant footballer.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1432 on: January 9, 2011, 11:38:27 pm »
If Carrick had got there 0.1 of a second ahead of Gerrard, Carrick would have been in trouble (well, probably a yellow from Webb), but Gerrard was just a fraction late.

Of course, whoever gets there last is going to be in trouble. That's sort of the definition of a foul. But still, Carrick was sliding and Gerrard had jumped. Different approach to the ball.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #1433 on: January 9, 2011, 11:38:44 pm »
No, you're drawing the wrong conclusion. We have learned that you don't win the league with 11 and 2 defeats that's true. However, that season the Mancs needed 90 points to win the league. This season it will take much less to do that. Arsenal could reach 91 points, but only if they win every single game there's left.

No way will that happen. And to be honest, I didn't even take the two games the Mancs have in hand into account. Worst case is that they're one point behind Arsenal and I've already made my point concerning Arsenal and City. I'm not saying that Chelsea or Spurs are out of the title-race, but it won't be easy for them and at the moment it looks like it will be do-able for the Mancs...

Compared to the previous seasons, the Mancs away form has been awful ... Yes, they are still unbeaten, but they have 2 wins and 7 draws, which shows that the teams are no longer bending over for them, when playing at home ... And they are yet to play Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal away ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline trader

• Main Stander
« Reply #1434 on: January 9, 2011, 11:39:33 pm »
Just got in from the game. Thought Kelly was outstanding. Thought Torres was very, very, very disappointing.
The King is back! (and gone again)

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #1435 on: January 9, 2011, 11:40:27 pm »

I always thought the title was decided over 38 games played home and away. I'm glad they've changed the rules if it means the mancs wont win number 19, even if we do get relegated.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1436 on: January 9, 2011, 11:40:39 pm »
Gerrard's action in those tackles is for the right leg to be bent at the knee as he's diving in, then extended to straight as he makes contact. Of course, it could be seen just a way of 'getting' to the ball quickly - but it can look like an attempted 'stamp' as part of the tackle, i.e. excessive.

We could debate it all day, but as HBHR says, he just needs to stop doing it.

Intent is definitely an issue though.  To me it was reckless, there was no intent of excess in my opinion.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1437 on: January 9, 2011, 11:40:43 pm »
Just got in, reckon that bent twat Webb will sleep better than me tonight....job done you eh you c*nt.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Alpherah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1438 on: January 9, 2011, 11:41:40 pm »
Still too much trouble to place police presence there then? considering there was a truck load at the stadium anyway.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1439 on: January 9, 2011, 11:42:12 pm »
I mean, I know the Mancs started it all off by wrecking the Anny Road toilets, but what on earth is the point?