Author Topic: Babel: I'm not finished here  (Read 148905 times)

Offline alan dicko

• 'beyond shite'
  • Anny Roader
  • bounce
Babel: I'm not finished here
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:25:15 am »
Ryan Babel hopes the Roy Hodgson era can be the start of 'a new chapter' in his Liverpool career after admitting he has yet to reach his full potential at Anfield.

The Holland international has been the subject of transfer speculation this summer but his focus has always remained on proving his worth to the new gaffer.

He said: "I have been through a difficult time at Liverpool, but I look upon this year as a new chapter for me.

"I am trying to be positive and looking forward. I still have two years left on my contract and I love Liverpool. I am settled.

"If I had the feeling that I have done everything I can here, then maybe I would say that it is time to look at something else. But at the moment I don't have that feeling at all.

"I feel I can give more and be important for Liverpool. I will try and be successful. I haven't really spoken to the manager about it.

"He has been busy with players coming back, I think when the transfer window is over then we will try and find the time to sit down and talk about things."

One club rumoured to be interested in Babel's services was Wolfsburg - but talk of such a move was quashed last week by Hodgson.

And Babel added: "The first time I heard about the interest from Wolfsburg was when someone asked me on Twitter if it was true.

"I Googled it and it said the deal was almost done! I didn't even know anything about it."

Babel was one of the last players to return to Melwood from the World Cup after Holland reached the final.

Despite his limited time with Hodgson, the winger has been impressed.

"I have been back two weeks more or less and he seems a very honest manager and very direct to the players," said Babel. "Everyone knows what he is up to and I like that.

"If I am 100 per cent fit and have the confidence I know that I can have, I think I can have an impact.

"It is a new season so everyone is starting afresh. We have a different staff, different people around us, different training sessions. It is a change and hopefully that will benefit me."

Babel's first start of the season against Trabzonspor last week saw him placed up front on his own.

Hodgson's selection was rewarded with a well-taken goal just before half-time.

The 23-year-old was then replaced at the break to allow Fernando Torres 45 valuable minutes in his quest for full fitness.

Babel said: "The goal was a big confidence boost for myself. It was a good set up by Joe Cole and I was fortunate that I could take it.

"I didn't expect to come off, but that was the manager's choice.

"He was pretty direct about that and said Fernando was going to play in the second half. He already had that in mind even if I played well."

Delighted with this to be honest, the amount of shit the lad gets because he uses twitter or plays on a PS3 because he's a footballer. Hopefully what he says he means and he'll knuckle down and show us all what he's capable off!
na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na fernado torres liverpools number 9

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Babel: I'm not finished here
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:29:12 am »
Hope babel can show something this season.  He has a lot of ground to make up and we desperately need a decent strikeforce.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:31:43 am »
Not another Babel thread where he gets slated for anything wrong he does.  :duh
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:34:13 am »
Play him on the right FFS! We're always complaining about not having natural, quick, wingers. Well we do have one, he just gets played in the middle. Stick Kuyt upfront (or on the bench) and give Babel a run at right midfield. It's not rocket science.

Offline TLT

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:34:16 am »
Same old story from Ryan, but what annoys me, is that I keep wanting to give him these chances. I just know if he left us, for a decent club, he would be a success. He has all the ability and talent in the world, and in his first season, I remember comparing him with a young Ronaldo. Young raw talent, who needed to be polished.

But that polish has never come, and now we have to ask ourselves, will it ever? I want it too, I think we all do.

Offline SRAWL

• 'Spicegirls Rule All! Wooooh! Lulz.'
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:34:37 am »
He should get loads of stick cos he should be playing a 360.

Hope he does well this season.
"We can win 4-0 but I want to win by eight. I don't like to lose. I never accept defeat". Luis Suarez

robbie9fowler robbie fowler
If these qualify now I'm gonna do the moonwalk bollocko from Liverpool to London blindfolded

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 11:35:26 am »
"If I had the feeling that I have done everything I can here, then maybe I would say that it is time to look at something else. But at the moment I don't have that feeling at all.

Well its a relief that he can see that!

Nice to hear him talking positively about the club though and let's hope this season can be the one he breaks through.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:35:35 am »
I love Babel, I really do. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and if I'm being honest, his face makes me laugh a bit - it's very childlike and naive. He's got a lot of potential, but I don't know if it will ever be realised, here or anywhere.

Offline daniel dougherty

• clueless...
  • Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 11:38:09 am »
It does baffle me sometimes though, he's quick, strong, powerful, skillful, yet his first touch sometimes is a disaster :(

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 11:50:14 am »
Well he'll have something to prove tonight. Can see him playing on the right since jovanavich hasn't travelled

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 11:51:21 am »
Surely you need to start something before you finish it??!!  :P

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 11:57:20 am »
Seems to have got a lot of people on his side after the second half of last season. Hodgson best had bring the best out of him, otherwise he WILL fulfill his big potential somewhere else.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 12:03:19 pm »
Delighted with this to be honest, the amount of shit the lad gets because he uses twitter or plays on a PS3 because he's a footballer. Hopefully what he says he means and he'll knuckle down and show us all what he's capable off!

I don't really think that's peoples main issue with Babel, instead they just use it as another stick to beat him with.

The main problem is his 'I don't give a shit' attitude when he's on the pitch, fair enough you theres a noted improvement in effort from the lad but he just looks like hes not interested. Whether thats due to lack of ability (poor awareness of whats going on around him) I don't know, its a shame though because if he could sort out some of these problems then theres no doubt that theres a player in there somewhere who'd offer us something much different than what anyone else does in the squad

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 12:07:26 pm »
Hope its time to deliver ..

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:16 pm »
He's at his level now. There won't be a manager who "gets the best out of him".

As long as he wears the red shirt i'll want him to do well. But my expectations are low, so I don't expect much.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 12:13:56 pm »
I don't really think that's peoples main issue with Babel, instead they just use it as another stick to beat him with.

The main problem is his 'I don't give a shit' attitude when he's on the pitch, fair enough you theres a noted improvement in effort from the lad but he just looks like hes not interested. Whether thats due to lack of ability (poor awareness of whats going on around him) I don't know, its a shame though because if he could sort out some of these problems then theres no doubt that theres a player in there somewhere who'd offer us something much different than what anyone else does in the squad

Are you seriously saying he still looks like he couldn't give a shit? Really? Have you watched our games in the last 6 months? He's looked like one of the players who gives a fuck the most. This doesn't giver a shit is just another stick to beat him with, and people constantly refuse to accept that situation has changed. I've had loads of arguments in Babel threads about this. People just don't accept he does give a fuck and is trying very hard, and producing end product. All this without a regular run of games.

Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »
hope he finds his feet tonight and skins some players, carries the ball into dangerous areas, maybe a few tricks, goal and an assist would be nice.

in terms of his personality, i think its cool how someone at his age with so much money can be a relatively normal person. people tweeting him, so he googles a news story about his own transfer, that kind of stuff makes me feel in touch. he plays ps3 online against the supporters FFS!

hes a good guy with a lot of talent and should express himself more in a red shirt. the game intelligence comes with game time in a settled team. i still have faith. still think hes shit up front on his own though!

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 12:22:29 pm »
good luck Ryan! I'm not gonna lie, he has annoyed me at times but I, like others, believe he has a lot of potential, potential not yet discovered or tapped into!!

He is still young mind so he has a lot of time to develop, hopefully Roy will persist with him and Babel will "blossom" if you will, best of luck to him during the upcoming game and hope he bangs in a hattie to really boost his confidence and keep him working hard!!  8)

Offline daniel dougherty

• clueless...
  • Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 12:26:13 pm »
He's better than Ngog. Fact.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 12:34:11 pm »
Its Babel time !
Doubters to Believers

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 12:34:36 pm »
You've got to admire the lads attitude.

Come on Babel lad, this is your season to prove yourself.

Offline L7S

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 12:36:26 pm »
He's better than Ngog. Fact.

As a striker, no. He lacks the ability to hold the ball. But I do think that he will better this season as long as he is given chances to prove.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 12:42:30 pm »
wont be playing tonight.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 12:45:49 pm »
Are you seriously saying he still looks like he couldn't give a shit? Really? Have you watched our games in the last 6 months? He's looked like one of the players who gives a fuck the most. This doesn't giver a shit is just another stick to beat him with, and people constantly refuse to accept that situation has changed. I've had loads of arguments in Babel threads about this. People just don't accept he does give a fuck and is trying very hard, and producing end product. All this without a regular run of games.

Yes, seriously. There's more to it than closing down players. He shits out of headers, touches the ball twice then goes into hiding for huge periods, doesn't seem to be emotionally involved in the game.... you know - all things you'd be expecting players to do when your team are in a ditch, especially those who're fighting for their place in the team. As I mentioned it's quite noticeable that he's making more of an effort in the games, though for me he still needs to do more. i'm sure that Rafa and Roy both feel the same too, as his talent has never been in doubt yet they're always so reluctant to play him.

And I like Babel BTW.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:47:57 pm by 5BigCups »

Offline Wiggles

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 12:59:16 pm »
You've got to admire the lads attitude.

Come on Babel lad, this is your season to prove yourself.

It's all talk though! how many times has he said this and then done absolutely nothing having been given a start or a good half an hour on the pitch?!  I'm a bit sick of him asking for the chance to prove himself and talking himself up in the media.  He just doesn't seem to have the intelligence on the pitch to do what's asked of him.   

Rafa rotated him, but if he's good enough for any top team then he will have to get used to starting one week, the bench the next, even Birmingham do it with their attacking players (to an extent).   

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 01:05:44 pm »
Play him on the right FFS! We're always complaining about not having natural, quick, wingers. Well we do have one, he just gets played in the middle. Stick Kuyt upfront (or on the bench) and give Babel a run at right midfield. It's not rocket science.

A bit of this, but really I think the only position he can excel in is striker.....all he's got is pace and a shot.

I'm starting to warm to him again.  I think he's at least trying his best.

Offline Mingles

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 01:12:50 pm »
Babel doesn't talk like that

Offline Spleen

• he's garbage or shit
  • Main Stander
  • Pun Master, King of Irony
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 01:13:22 pm »
Babel = Neo

Just needs to learn that it's not the spoon that bends, only himself

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 01:18:13 pm »
One club rumoured to be interested in Babel's services was Wolfsburg - but talk of such a move was quashed last week by Hodgson.

And Babel added: "The first time I heard about the interest from Wolfsburg was when someone asked me on Twitter if it was true.

"I Googled it and it said the deal was almost done! I didn't even know anything about it."

The intelligence of Ryan Babel...... Has to check google to see if he has/hasn't signed for another club  :butt

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:25 pm »
get your finger out ryan!!
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Marshall

• Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 01:21:05 pm »
His attitude has improved considerably over the last year which is really good to see. Just hope his football does too.

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 01:21:34 pm »
He's starting to remind me of Harry Kewell minus the injuries.

Fuck off making announcements, and let yer feet do the talking.
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 01:23:10 pm »
I just don't know what to think anymore with this lad, I really don't

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 01:23:51 pm »
he's not even in the starting lineup tonight.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 01:30:38 pm »
Babel is a riddle in a mystery wrapped in an enigma.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »
Same old story from Ryan, but what annoys me, is that I keep wanting to give him these chances. I just know if he left us, for a decent club, he would be a success. He has all the ability and talent in the world, and in his first season, I remember comparing him with a young Ronaldo. Young raw talent, who needed to be polished.

But that polish has never come, and now we have to ask ourselves, will it ever? I want it too, I think we all do.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 01:33:51 pm »
For the last two years he hasn't been at the level of the rest of the squad. But now that we are rapidly lowering that quality he should fit right in.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 02:16:31 pm »
Well he not in the team today so one has to wonder whether Roy actually rates him or not. Clearly Roy favours defensive players above all else.

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 02:24:56 pm »
It does baffle me sometimes though, he's quick, strong, powerful, skillful, yet his first touch sometimes is a disaster :(
It's his game intelligence that is the problem, he has fantastic technical attributes.
"There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all"

royhendo

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »
I read the title and had a mental image of Babel in the Melwood khazi with Stevie G knocking on the door while bursting for a captain's log.