Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #1 - Luis Garcia versus Bayer Leverkusen Feb 22nd 2005  (Read 12205 times)

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
What leads anyone to go to a match?

Let’s face it. It’s cold. It’s wet and for some it’s a massive journey filled with panic, dread and nowt on the radio to keep you going.

In 2005 it was worse. I worked where I do now in Canary Wharf. I drove, as I do now, for what seemed like an eternity to the deepest, darkest recesses of the back of beyond. You know it as Wolverhampton, I know it as my now second home away from home. From there I went to Anfield.

Why, you may ask, did I need to do this? Mr Singh (me) needed a Mrs Kaur (the wife) to understand what Liverpool meant to me and where it sat in my life respective to priorities. Priorities such as bills, sleep, food, the air I breathe. Those kinds of things of importance. Less than 8 weeks prior, the then Miss Kaur agreed to marry me. She didn’t have to but she showed mercy upon my soul and said yes once I popped the question and coughed up with a diamond. No ring… it came later. Before anyone gets at me for that there was a fundamentally good reason for it – I didn’t know her size and wasn’t about to get it wrong!!!

I very nearly didn’t make the proposal date. Work had a bee in its bonnet about something. I was glum faced and sat on a call with my peers wondering where things were going. They wanted a follow up call on the day I was heading up to ask my now wife for her hand.

“No – not that day”, I stated
“Why? Why not?”, came the angry voices down the phone. Now, I hesitated. I either tell them the whole story or I blag it. In’s in…
“I’m proposing. It’s been a very meticulous operation and it cannot be jeopardised. Months will be wasted. I will be sad, nothing great can come of the meeting you’re intending on this day”
“Don’t do it!” one lady said

“Fuck off”

Ok. I didn’t say that

“Ahhh wow, that’s great news. We’ll set the call for the following week but must know how it went” said my boss followed with a “I’ve been divorced twice so I’m not making that mistake three times”
He was one of those happy souls that you usually find kissing the drains on a Thursday night after a few too many at the closest All Bar One. I ignored him on a more than frequent basis.

Back to the match. When the news popped up that the match against Bayer Leverkeusen was going to go on general sale I seized my chance. £32.00 a ticket and in the heights of the upper centenary. I didn’t care where I was in the ground… I had a chance to show her why Liverpool meant so much to me.

And like every person I’ve ever known taking someone close to them to Anfield for the first time I prayed for a win  ;D

In a parallel similar to now we had key players missing. Our lineup was as follows

Liverpool: Dudek, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Traore, Luis Garcia, Hamann, Biscan, Riise,Kewell, Baros
Subs: Carson, Nunez, Warnock, Welsh, Smicer, Le Tallec, Potter

Suffice to say I was nervous. I remember Leverkeusen from a quarter final back in 2002. Work, a constant in my life in causing conflicts with matches at times, had sent me to Paris. I was fuming. With this match coming on I wasn’t sure how I’d get to see it. French T.V. came to my rescue. Lucio came to give me tears in my pillow. Fast forward some three years on and I was close to tears again. My fiancé, now wife, kept on saying “Oooh’s where Gerrard? Is he playing?”

“No, he’s injured”
“What about the fit Spanish one?”
“No, he’s injured”
“What about Michael Owen?”

This was going to be a long night. Once I’d explained Judas an ease came over me. I felt ok with the world and it must have felt ok with me as we scored. I remember it so so well. Jumping, screaming, hugging, screaming, hurting. My knee smashed the seat in front and was in agony. An agony so very much forgotten as Eeeeeeegorrrrr, Eeeeeeegorrrrr, Eeeeeeegorrrrr had put the lovely Luis Garcia through to make it 1-0 to Liverpool. Biscan had been the focal point of much love and hate over his Liverpool career but lets face it – he set Luis up beautifully. All I recall is the ball going through the defenders and Luis putting it through the keeper’s legs. It didn’t have to be pretty but it was. It didn’t have to be much needed but it was. It didn’t have to seal that approval that I so wanted my lovely lovely wife to give but she did and I’m forever grateful.

“Have we won, will we win?” she asked.
“Not yet… not just yet, there’s around 30 mins of this half and a second half to come”
“How long’s that then?”

This was going to be a really long night :)

A Riise rocket of a free kick made it 2-0 to us and the first half was over. Things were looking good for the future for me.

In the second half I remember the close shaves more than anything else. Baros and Carra went close but no cigar and it carried on as such until the last few minutes or so. Seeing people leave, my significant other thought it was time to go home

“Nope – stay seated. You get shot for desertion in this army”
“Eh? Why?”
“We stay unti the final whistle. I’m not missing anything here”

We only went and scored. Courtesy of Didi Hamman. They bloody scored too though so ruined the clean sheet. Final score 3-1.

This match though for me wasn't picked for the scoreline nor was Garcla's goal the best one in the match. I picked it due to what it led to. My wife is someone who started off as a fan but became a supporter. She was born and bred right around the corner from Molineux and Liverpool was only something in her life as her brother supported Liverpool. That season she also saw us beat Juventus and the deal was sealed really. She understood what it meant to me and has done for the last 10 years or so

Thank you wife  :)

In those 10 years you've let me become a season ticket holder, get up and down the country to watch Liverpool play and support the team that I love. We've been blessed with a daughter who is also beginning to understand this love I have for this club and she will soon join Dadda on the journeys to Anfield and beyond. Mumma can come too if she wants...PS, few matches on the trot over the Christmas period so err don't get mad. Remember, 'tis the season to be jolly!!!
« Last Edit: December 1, 2014, 10:14:35 am by Haaaa-rinder "The Angels" Singh »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
It's that time of year again. Already!
Welcome to this year's RAWK Advent Calendar. Our favourite goals. Kicked off beautifully by Harinder. Enjoy.
Yep.

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
 :) Loved that. Feeling the Christmas spirit already!

Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria...

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sweet. That time of the (RAWK) year.

As always, a treat from Harinder. Thank you sir! (and, of course, to Mrs Harinder ;))

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Cheers Harinder.

I loved that game. Going into it I didn't have a clue what to expect. We'd escaped the groups (memorably) but had very little to benchmark our expectations against.

And as much as Luis gets the credit for all the goals in that run (deservedly so) I'm glad you mentioned the mighty Igor! All through that run he popped up with key contributions. The run and assist away at Deportivo, the goal you mention here and then big games against Juve and Chelsea too. He turned into a different beast in Europe!

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Igor Biscan was a hero in 2005. He made me believe anything was possible :)

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Igor Biscan was a hero in 2005. He made me believe anything was possible :)

He was, played in every knock out game bar the final I think. All that was needed there was an Igor cameo to get the winner, although the script was fine as it was I guess!

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Remember, 'tis the season to be jolly!!!

Absolutely! Let's hope the Reds bring some festive cheer this month. This is a lovely read; the goal is irrelevant, it's the emotion around it that makes it meaningful and memorable. Thanks, H. :wave

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
Excellent read this. Thanks you so much.  :scarf
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Great start to December!
Can't believe it's almost 10 years ago. Time flies.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers Harinder.

I loved that game. Going into it I didn't have a clue what to expect. We'd escaped the groups (memorably) but had very little to benchmark our expectations against.

And as much as Luis gets the credit for all the goals in that run (deservedly so) I'm glad you mentioned the mighty Igor! All through that run he popped up with key contributions. The run and assist away at Deportivo, the goal you mention here and then big games against Juve and Chelsea too. He turned into a different beast in Europe!

When researching this we had some RAWKites desperate for Stevie G's blood. Funny that, not much has changed since then  ;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Nice one H.

Lovely memories rekindled. Cheers.

:)

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
Cracking read that mate.   

What I like about this series is that the "favourite goal" doesn't have to be Gerrard's screamer against Olympiakos, or the Riise Rocket against Man Utd (despite them both being sensational strikes) but a goal that means something to the person behind the article.

It could be a scrambled goal, a tap-in or even an own goal...  But it is the effect it left on someone that is the true story, and why they will always remember that goal. 

Can't wait to read the rest!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Great read, looking forward to the rest almost as much as my chocolate Advent Calendar. :P
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
great story
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just love it :) A slight remark, Gerrard was suspended, not injured for that game ;D
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Just love it :) A slight remark, Gerrard was suspended, not injured for that game ;D

Of course, booked for a rash tackle born of frustration in the Olympiacos game when it was still 1-1 I think.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
.... I remember Leverkeusen from a quarter final back in 2002. Work, a constant in my life in causing conflicts with matches at times, had sent me to Paris. I was fuming. With this match coming on I wasn’t sure how I’d get to see it. French T.V. came to my rescue. Lucio came to give me tears in my pillow....

Most enjoyable OP, I have to say.

Just digressing slightly, this game in Leverkusen in '02 will be etched in my mind forever. After all the years in the European Cup wilderness, post Heysel, this was our best chance to get to the Final. Me and a mate went without tickets, however, I had the "promise" of two tickets from the club provided I called such and such number :-)

What could go wrong. Well, it was the first time I'd taken a mobile phone abroad and, in those days, it didn't automatically switch to a local network. Suffice to say, I never got those tickets :-( However, I got a ticket for Euros 100 (still the most I have ever paid for a ticket) and my mate went to a bar to watch the game.

It was a real topsy turvy game. If I remember correctly, Ballack put them one up, we equalised but then Hamann was subbed and we fell apart until Yari Litmanen brought it back to 3-2 with about 5 to go. Then in pushing for the equaliser which would have put us through, they scored again.

I was in a Leverkusen section but there were loads of Reds spread across it. Most of us had had a few beers and stood and sang for large parts of the game (I have to say that the Leverkusen fans were very tolerant of us). Anyway, at the end, I had tears tripping me up, when the massive German next to me gave me an enormous bear hug and every Leverkusen fan in our row shook my hand and wished me well. Made me feel very humble (and even more emotional :-) )

Sorry to interrupt.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great story!  Thanks for posting.  It's nice to see some joy posted on here again. 

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
I was there too storkfoot. Still can't believe we lost that game...

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Of course, booked for a rash tackle born of frustration in the Olympiacos game when it was still 1-1 I think.

Genuinely at the time I thought he was injured. Whenever this conversation comes up with the missus she recalls it as him being injured.

I couldn't explain suspension to her at the time though thinking back. I just about explained 2 halves ;D

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Most enjoyable OP, I have to say.

Just digressing slightly, this game in Leverkusen in '02 will be etched in my mind forever. After all the years in the European Cup wilderness, post Heysel, this was our best chance to get to the Final. Me and a mate went without tickets, however, I had the "promise" of two tickets from the club provided I called such and such number :-)

What could go wrong. Well, it was the first time I'd taken a mobile phone abroad and, in those days, it didn't automatically switch to a local network. Suffice to say, I never got those tickets :-( However, I got a ticket for Euros 100 (still the most I have ever paid for a ticket) and my mate went to a bar to watch the game.

It was a real topsy turvy game. If I remember correctly, Ballack put them one up, we equalised but then Hamann was subbed and we fell apart until Yari Litmanen brought it back to 3-2 with about 5 to go. Then in pushing for the equaliser which would have put us through, they scored again.

I was in a Leverkusen section but there were loads of Reds spread across it. Most of us had had a few beers and stood and sang for large parts of the game (I have to say that the Leverkusen fans were very tolerant of us). Anyway, at the end, I had tears tripping me up, when the massive German next to me gave me an enormous bear hug and every Leverkusen fan in our row shook my hand and wished me well. Made me feel very humble (and even more emotional :-) )

Sorry to interrupt.

No apologies needed. Thanks for sharing that story. There have been plenty of teams that have made us cry over the years... Benfica, courtesy of Simao, is one that came close to a story that I wrote instead of this one.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Genuinely at the time I thought he was injured. Whenever this conversation comes up with the missus she recalls it as him being injured.

I couldn't explain suspension to her at the time though thinking back. I just about explained 2 halves ;D
Ah, no worries, mate, I see where you are coming from ;D It's a great story, brings in proper Christmas spirit, thank you for that :)
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
You had me at "we".

It's a beautiful sound when a loved one first talks about us as "we". Up there with mama and daddy from the babes.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
After that game I walked home with mates and said "We're winning this thing". To have that feeling against Leverkusen,  after missing out on a Quarter Final with the Mancs to them the years before was redeeming to say the least.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Great read Harinder.

After that game I walked home with mates and said "We're winning this thing".

Ha well done, us conceding in the last minute put serious doubts in my mind about us even qualifying for the quarter finals.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Great read Harinder.

Ha well done, us conceding in the last minute put serious doubts in my mind about us even qualifying for the quarter finals.

Some Art Garfunkel looking fella wasn't it? Definitely gave me a nagging doubt too, especially after the 2002 game.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
The away had Luis on a hat-trick. A hat-trick!!!

I don't think he got it though.

On conceding in the last minute - it was just like us I guess. Didi scored and with the game pretty much sewn up they scored. Dudek spilled the ball or palmed it stupidly. Can't fully recall but I know it was a bad goal to concede

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
I remember Riise's free kick. The Leverkusen player on the right hand side of that wall was pointing up at the sky or somewhere towards the top of the main stand and the ball went past him. Anyone remember? What the hell could he have been pointing at at that time haha ;D
Justice for the 97

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
I remember Riise's free kick. The Leverkusen player on the right hand side of that wall was pointing up at the sky or somewhere towards the top of the main stand and the ball went past him. Anyone remember? What the hell could he have been pointing at at that time haha ;D
"Look ist unt plane vid Gentleman's Club banner"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
 :thumbup  Great one to start us off H.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There's something great about football and family stories.
YNWA.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
Little forwards called Luis are great, aren't they.  I miss 'em.

Nice one ;-)
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
The away had Luis on a hat-trick. A hat-trick!!!

I don't think he got it though.

On conceding in the last minute - it was just like us I guess. Didi scored and with the game pretty much sewn up they scored. Dudek spilled the ball or palmed it stupidly. Can't fully recall but I know it was a bad goal to concede
indeed it was though he did make several top drawer saves that night

i was worried about he second leg but we ended up pulverising them

Offline KennyVialli

• Main Stander
  • Keep the Faith - YNWA
I remember the return with fondness. I really didn't think we'd get past them, so travelled with me mates with great trepidation. We started with Warnock  at RB, and had a bench of Carson, Smicer, Le Tallec, Nunez, Raven, Welsh & Potter. Didn't have anyone else, thought we'd get mullered. In the end though it could and should of been abar 6 or 7 for us. However the fondness came near the end, Liverpool cruising 3-0. I remember we hadn't kept a clean sheet for ages and were leaking stupid goals all over the place. We really thought this was a clean sheet and an easy 6-1 aggregate victory. Then bang another stupid mistake and they score, oh craaaap, was the general concensus, the travelling Kop groaned as one and looked on disgusted with conceding another soft goal. Then over the tannoy Status Quo - Rockin' all over the world !!
We all joined in, and guess what, groaned when Bayer missed a chance right at the death, we really wanted to hear Quo again such was our joy at winning and seeing their fans going mental singing to Quo. Fantastic night and superb cameraderie with their fans. That night another Euro song was born to rival Johnny Cash.
Great times. :)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
its great how stories like this start snowballing your own memory

it reminds me of the second leg. did you ever really get down about something? something which years later when you see it or think of it again it grinds your gears. 2002 did. i genuinely thought that was the closest i would ever see us get to winning the champions league.

after that match i actually sat in a room by myself at home for an hour and stared out the window as if id just been told id a week to live.

i really wanted us to absolutely destroy leverkusen. when we did i remember texting a few people. my brother wrote back
"i take it your not sitting in a dark room alone depressed then"

2002's pain had finally gone never to return.

that second leg was also the match where Benitez showed up in a pub in Germany and mingled with fans the night before the game

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
Beautiful OP Harinder, great work mate. 
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
its great how stories like this start snowballing your own memory

it reminds me of the second leg. did you ever really get down about something? something which years later when you see it or think of it again it grinds your gears. 2002 did. i genuinely thought that was the closest i would ever see us get to winning the champions league.

after that match i actually sat in a room by myself at home for an hour and stared out the window as if id just been told id a week to live.

i really wanted us to absolutely destroy leverkusen. when we did i remember texting a few people. my brother wrote back
"i take it your not sitting in a dark room alone depressed then"

2002's pain had finally gone never to return.

that second leg was also the match where Benitez showed up in a pub in Germany and mingled with fans the night before the game

Know exactly what you mean. I was convinced we'd get through once we scored. We weren't a side who shipped Manu goals. I can remember not saying a word from the final whistle, leaving the pub and driving home with my brother. Took a while to get over that one. 2005 definitely helped.

Worth saying what a decent side Leverkeusen had then. Ballack, Ze Roberto, Basturk, Berbatov, Lucio...couple of good German centre backs who's names escape me. Think they finished runners up in three competitions didn't they?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
great OP well done Sir.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
Remember this game big time. Was a game in which we were so weak, yet Biscan bossed it. The moment of the game for me was Hamann strolling with lethargy, and coolly placing the ball over the wall into the bottom corner. Hans Joerg Butt (was it?) didnt move an inch. And then Gerrard went bonkers in the crowd !
Luis was phenomenal in both legs. Even better was the header he scored at Leverkusen. Just to go a bit off topic, Garcia has been getting phenomenal support in the Indian Super League here. There has been a new banner for him at every away venue he has been too. The fans here love him to bits. The lad can still turn it on  :)
« Last Edit: December 8, 2014, 10:19:28 am by Didi_ram »