Author Topic: Are flares legal?  (Read 13851 times)

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
Are flares legal?
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:38:44 pm »
A quick question, when you see various flares being let off in football matches around Europe usually as part of some pyro display or just to create atmosphere are they actually legal? What countries are they legal in?

Main reason I'm asking is I seen this video and thought wow what an atmosphere. But then I kept thinking how it would be legal to bring flares into a ground, never mind fireworks. Wouldn't they just be classed as a potential weapon? I seem to remember Dida getting hit by one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqLzgwZbXxI
Justice for the 97

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Are flares legal?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:42:35 pm »
They were in the 60s. Wouldn't be seen dead in them now though.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:42:48 pm »

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:26:22 pm »
They're not in my country. Doesn't stop many from bringing it in though.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »
They're not legal, but other countries have a less stringent outlook to them, than others. As proved by the point that as the fireworks are going off in that top vid, the game is still going on.

If someone so much as lit up a flare in a UK ground, the referee would be taking the players off the pitch, and there'd be calls to shut the ground.

Other countries are just not as anal, or up tight about it, as over here.

In the case of some clubs in some countries, say like Italy, the police don't come inside the grounds, but the crowd is policed by the ultra's themselves, and their own stewards, so they pretty much have free-reign to do what they want within some grounds.

I like the spectacle personally, as they always add atmosphere to a ground....

Which is probably why I sneaked an 18 inch one in to the Ataturk in 2005.

When I replay the match, I can still see it, and where I am in the crowd at the end, when I've got a red flare burning, and everyone going mental.   ;D

Offline Zanchent

• Sole creator and only disciple to the brand new yet enchanting, charming, one might say "revolutionary", religion known, quite unpredictably, as Zanchentism. It's like Zen, only not.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5Q_mhEIc4

Amazing to think people kick up a fuss about 'standing' over here when you see things like that.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 06:34:00 pm »
Can't remember the last time someone sneaked one in at anfield. It was probably Roma 2002 and the club afterwards made a big thing about life bans afterwards
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:36:26 pm »
Can't remember the last time someone sneaked one in at anfield. It was probably Roma 2002 and the club afterwards made a big thing about life bans afterwards
As I said, in this country they're a lot more anal about such things.  That said, a lot of that goes to do with the Taylor Report, and the idiot who took the flare to the Wales game a few years ago, and ended up killing someone in the opposite stand.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/flare-kills-football-fan-at-world-cup-qualifying-match-1505057.html

Hence the very tight ground regulations in this country.

I mean. It's not like I want to take my Lambretta the match now is it.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:39:47 pm by Big Red Breasted Richie »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »
Last one I saw was in our end at Goodison. Pretty shit bringing them into grounds when you've got kids about.

My mates kid (Was about 10 at the time) a fair few years back got his trainer burned in half by one.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »
I don't think they're legal in Sweden, but you see them every week. It's usually the big clubs that do it and can afford it. Nowadays the referee sends the players back to the dressing room as soon as a pyro thing is seen but they come back after the smoke has disappeared.

Then the club can expect a fine but it doesn't seem to bother them as they continue to do it.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »
All the changes in this country, for better or worse, some definitely made with good intent, have resulted in killing off what 'supporting' is really. Boo or leave early if you're not satisfied with the show on display. Don't go to support your team any more, go to watch them play. I'm not taking about flares like.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 06:50:44 pm »
It does create an amazing atmosphere, though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zulAAh5j4-M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zulAAh5j4-M</a>

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »
It does create an amazing atmosphere, though.

Yeah, but there's always a down side.

A great specticle they do make, but the hand-held one I had in the Ataturk in 2005 didn't half give off some shite.

It was like the fall-out from a volcano, with ash dropping all over the place, and not everyone was happy about being covered in the crap.

I had more than a crossed word, and a few growls.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 06:57:00 pm »
Yeah, but there's always a down side.

A great specticle they do make, but the hand-held one I had in the Ataturk in 2005 didn't half give off some shite.

It was like the fall-out from a volcano, with ash dropping all over the place, and not everyone was happy about being covered in the crap.

I had more than a crossed word, and a few growls.

And sometimes this can happen;

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/br126chhxHU#t=01m08s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/br126chhxHU#t=01m08s</a>

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »
If your stranded at sea they come in handy. For that reason I suspect they aren't illegal but you deffo can't take them into a stadium.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Pheeny

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:00:40 pm »
They were in the 60s. Wouldn't be seen dead in them now though.
early 70's as well mate...

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:02:33 pm »
And sometimes this can happen;

Which is exactly why they're banned.

If they caught someones clothing, or stated a fire in an enclosed space, and people started to panic, the outcome could be catastrophic.

Lets not even get on to the fact you can't smoke within a stadium.   The carcinogenic fumes off that lot would see you needing a new set of lungs.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 07:07:23 pm »
If your stranded at sea they come in handy. For that reason I suspect they aren't illegal but you deffo can't take them into a stadium.

I'd imagine they are treated like every other pyrotechnical material. They are not illegal as such, but only certain people can buy and use them. I'd imagine there are also various kinds of those flares (for example, at the ice-hockey club I used to support they used some powder that they put on a metal-plate and simply set on fire, mind you that was in the 90s). It's definitely illegal to use them at a football-match though... And I'd say it's the same for every country in Europe except that the law probably isn't enforced as strictly in some countries...

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »
Someone let one off after the City goal yesterday.
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »
early 70's as well mate...

semi flares in the 80's.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 07:21:35 pm »

Smoke bomb.

Offline Zanchent

• Sole creator and only disciple to the brand new yet enchanting, charming, one might say "revolutionary", religion known, quite unpredictably, as Zanchentism. It's like Zen, only not.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 07:21:38 pm »

They're becoming alot less rare. The Mancs have let off quite a few over the last few years, I've seen Arsenal/Wigan with a few and they're fairly common among the South London championship teams.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »
Which is exactly why they're banned.

If they caught someones clothing, or stated a fire in an enclosed space, and people started to panic, the outcome could be catastrophic.

Lets not even get on to the fact you can't smoke within a stadium.   The carcinogenic fumes off that lot would see you needing a new set of lungs.

Definitely. Didn't the Bradford fire disaster start from a cigarette?

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 07:41:30 pm »
Definitely. Didn't the Bradford fire disaster start from a cigarette?
Yes, but that was only the ignition source.  There was a long line of factors and failure, leading to the disaster itself. Not least a wooden stand with years worth of rubbish accumilation underneath.

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
Are flares legal?
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:15 pm »
Smoke bomb.

And their not allowed officially either.

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 04:39:55 pm »

I think the illegality stems from their 'improper' use ie using an emergency pyrotechnic device in a non-emergency type situation or some lark like that. I could be talking through my arse there but I've got a feeling that's right.

Anyway, used to love setting them off at the football as a youngster. Wouldn't do it nowadays but they definitely make for an amazing atmosphere.
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 04:57:25 pm »
I'd be scared out of my wits going into some of the East European stadiums. Just insane and not my idea of fun.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 05:04:41 pm »
I'd be scared out of my wits going into some of the East European stadiums. Just insane and not my idea of fun.

If it's done in a controlled way such as an organised pyrotechnics show it makes an amazing atmosphere and something brilliant to be part of. But it can always turn nasty during matches and there's nothing worse than a pissed off guy holding a flare close to you. I've experienced both so that's just my opinion. Never thought about them being legal/illegal until now which is why this question sprung to mind.
Justice for the 97

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 06:24:45 pm »
If it's done in a controlled way such as an organised pyrotechnics show it makes an amazing atmosphere and something brilliant to be part of. But it can always turn nasty during matches and there's nothing worse than a pissed off guy holding a flare close to you. I've experienced both so that's just my opinion. Never thought about them being legal/illegal until now which is why this question sprung to mind.

I agree with you - organised and it's fun. But being in a crowd full of random maniacs and nutters with flares and fireworks - that's just plain scary.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 02:17:49 pm »

id be scared but i would love it - probably not regularly mind, but just to experience it once

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 05:11:08 pm »
my opinion about flares in football matches is positive, they do create a really good atmosphere and image of the stand. There can always be someone whose jacket gets an odd little hole or something but you can also break a leg walking and you don't abandon walking do you?

I've been to some games which had lots of flares, mostly organized and the feeling is great, the adrenaline goes up and the entire stand starts singing and jumping, it's a good thing.  The only thing I would however ban is throwing them on the pitch or anywhere for that matter.

Having said that, I believe they're banned from football grounds everywhere in Europe but fans in lot's of countries still use it regularly and it almost always results in the club paying some financial fine.

Also, when they were lit in Istanbul on a couple of locations they looked boss and lifted people even more(if that was in fact possible  ;D ).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:14:20 pm by firing squad »
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline lfcbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh campione
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 03:48:24 pm »
What was that what city had against utd was it a coloured smoke bomb or flare?
“Everything will be ok in the end. If it’s not ok, it’s not the end.”

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 04:36:06 pm »
What was that what city had against utd was it a coloured smoke bomb or flare?
Smoke bomb.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:53 pm »
I thought this was going to be a thread about Flemings
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 07:24:13 pm »
I thought this was going to be a thread about Flemings
;D    HaHaHa. That takes me back . . . all the way to Walton Road. 
These whiper-snappers wouldn't even know what your talking about.

Speaking of flares inside grounds, I see the Germans are getting a bit upset.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/bundesliga-proud-german-fans-continue-protests-security-plan-214407710.html

Offline lfcbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh campione
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:46 am »
Was it a smoke bomb we had on sunday and where do you get them i had a Green one from paint balling once and my mate in the army claimes he can get me a flare like thing thats red
“Everything will be ok in the end. If it’s not ok, it’s not the end.”

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 11:28:47 am »
Was it a smoke bomb we had on sunday and where do you get them i had a Green one from paint balling once and my mate in the army claimes he can get me a flare like thing thats red
Which is all well and good if you want a banning order for a few years, and possibly even a lifetime ban from certain grounds.

Looking at your profile, you're 20?  Yes?

Trust me mate. At 20 years old, the last thing you need is a banning order, and to be on a Police watched list every time there's a match on.

I personally like flares and smoke bombs etc, and you can get them from various places.

Not that I'm going to tell you where like, as I wouldn't want to be seen to condone such behaviour.  :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:30:24 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 12:46:11 pm »
I agree with you - organised and it's fun. But being in a crowd full of random maniacs and nutters with flares and fireworks - that's just plain scary.

Normally it is organised by the top Ultras in Eastern Europe.
When it is done like this it can be very good and fairly safe.

But when AIK came to Poland last year, they set their own banner on fire lol
To make matters worse a load of them got arrested, detained over night and fines to pay.

The pyros can be bought online for football fans, not such if I can post the link....

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 12:55:54 pm »
That smoke bomb came off brilliant on TV, when the ball was on the wings you could see the red mist all along the touchline and high into the air. Our fans seem to be doing it a lot at the moment

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 01:08:23 pm »
The mancs got one into Anfield when the Youth teams played a couple of years ago.

Personally they are classed as pyrotechnics/fireworks and should be treated as such.

They have no place in modern stadia

Sunday just ensured that our allocation will be reduced even further next season