Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 556304 times)

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #3000 on: February 25, 2014, 12:12:26 pm »
I think it's related in that there are possibly a number of fans that are naturally pessimistic because they've never seen Liverpool win the league before

My feeling is that, human nature being what it is, some people just start out with a pessimistic view of pretty much everything and they bring this to their support of football.

Yeah...they've not seen us win it [at least not for 24 years] and their nature rolls over them like a cloud n they tend to think we can't/ won't win it [we won't bye the way].

But largely, they're not coming to this view after much analysis...a lot of them are going on this worrying gut feeling they have.

So they tend to look for spooks to justify their negative feelings...n the biggest one out there they know is United, so United are credited with almost magical powers to do this n that to stop us. 

Up until very, very recently the spook was United were going to come 4th n nick it off us...now that seems to have been scared off by the daylight of the actual situation they're in.

Now the new spook to rob us of 4th is United can/ could/ will win the CL n nick it off us.

Despite any realism/ analysis of it...we see on here LIVERPOOL fans arguing passionately that UNITED are good enough to win the CL.

Despite the evidence of their own eyes of how poor United are this season...LIVERPOOL fans on here claiming UNITED will win the CL..I find it nothing short of astonishing.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3001 on: February 25, 2014, 12:13:28 pm »
I think I need to trademark my username!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3003 on: February 25, 2014, 12:15:11 pm »
Such a pisser that Everton couldn't hold on for one more minute (vs Chelsea) as it would have meant but for City winning their game in hand, our fate would have it in our own hands. Unfortunately we need others to do us favours. For 11 games we need to be better than Arsenal by one fixture and better than Chelsea and City by two fixtures.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #3004 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:53 pm »
My feeling is that, human nature being what it is, some people just start out with a pessimistic view of pretty much everything and they bring this to their support of football.

Yeah...they've not seen us win it [at least not for 24 years] and their nature rolls over them like a cloud n they tend to think we can't/ won't win it [we won't bye the way].

But largely, they're not coming to this view after much analysis...a lot of them are going on this worrying gut feeling they have.

So they tend to look for spooks to justify their negative feelings...n the biggest one out there they know is United, so United are credited with almost magical powers to do this n that to stop us. 

Up until very, very recently the spook was United were going to come 4th n nick it off us...now that seems to have been scared off by the daylight of the actual situation they're in.

Now the new spook to rob us of 4th is United can/ could/ will win the CL n nick it off us.

Despite any realism/ analysis of it...we see on here LIVERPOOL fans arguing passionately that UNITED are good enough to win the CL.

Despite the evidence of their own eyes of how poor United are this season...LIVERPOOL fans on here claiming UNITED will win the CL..I find it nothing short of astonishing.

and embarrassing

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3005 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:15 pm »
Such a pisser that Everton couldn't hold on for one more minute (vs Chelsea) as it would have meant but for City winning their game in hand, our fate would have it in our own hands. Unfortunately we need others to do us favours. For 11 games we need to be better than Arsenal by one fixture and better than Chelsea and City by two fixtures.

There will be favours aplenty in these coming weeks mate. The top 6/7 all have to play each other at one point. Teams have to drop points somewhere (including us most likely). We can only do our job. Come the Chelsea game we could be looking at a win to take us to the top and then it's in our hands

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3006 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:29 pm »

We do have the advantage of welcoming them both to Anfield, though.

Both still have to face Arsenal aswell.

I think it's up for grabs.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3007 on: February 25, 2014, 12:24:22 pm »
We do have the advantage of welcoming them both to Anfield, though.

Both still have to face Arsenal aswell.

I think it's up for grabs.

We play Chelsea and City but they still have to at least draw a game elsewhere with us capitalising on their dropped points.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #3008 on: February 25, 2014, 12:30:13 pm »
or maybe it's neither cowards or logic or not wanting to look foolish....but rather just the way you've been brought up watching Liverpool under successive great managers and the values that it/they instilled in you of not shouting the odds, never underestimating the opposition, never taking anything for granted and doing your talking on the pitch?

You're so miserable.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #3009 on: February 25, 2014, 12:34:05 pm »
United and Spurs fans are now doing the sort of thing people on here have been doing the past X years. Looking 5 fixtures down the line and building up these ideas of "well if they only get 2 points from the next 12..." or "if we get 13 from 15...".

Let's get this right kids - statistically we've been closer to the three sides above us than we have the teams 'competing for 4th'. "Oh, but stats don't tell you the whole picture, you can twist them however you want". Well, "the league table doesn't lie" and all that nonsense. We're 6 points ahead of anyone else competing for 4th. That's 6 points with a +32 goal difference on Spurs. That's a three game swing over eleven games. Spurs, the closest challenger for 4th, need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Everton need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Manchester United need us to lose four more games than them. Over the next 11. Not draw. Lose. Do you know how many we've lost this season? 5. Do you know how many league games we've lost since the start of 2013? 8 in 45. I'll go back even further. Since United won at Anfield last season on the 23rd of September 2012, we've lost 10 games. Out of 60 in the league. That's not with Sturridge or Coutinho. That's Rodgers record besides the first 5 games. We aren't an easy team to beat. Haven't been in a long fucking time. More than long enough to say it's part of the Brendan Rodgers Liverpool DNA, not a streak. We've lost one set of back-to-back fixtures under Rodgers, and they were away to City and Chelsea. But hey, we must be fucking due a collapse, because that's what piss-pants logic dictates, right?

There is literally fucking nothing suggesting we're in a race for 4th instead of a title. I'm not even attempting to be an arrogant dickhead about it. It's just the only thing saying that is fucking cowards logic.

Practically every decent statistical model has us nailed on for top four. Our goal difference (usually a decent indicator) is 2nd best in the league. We're the only team to have kept even remotely within touching distance of City's goalscoring. This Liverpool team had scored more goals after 25 games than any of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal teams had. More than any of Ferguson's league winning teams had. More than any of Chelsea's teams. More than Keegan's Newcastle, more than fucking London club or Keegan's Newcastle. More than the 87-88 team. We're not lucky to be where we are. We're closer to the top than we are to anyone who thinks they're in a 'race for 4th'. We've been picking up 2 points a game steady enough for long over a year now. With Suarez, without Suarez. With Sturridge, without Sturridge. The only thing that doesn't look 'title contenders' about us is our defensive record. And y'know what? It's roughly in the same ball park as United's and Spurs' ones. Not that it fucking matters, because no team below us in the league has scored more than our front 3, never mind the rest of the team.

I'll just say this to end:

If the league had started January 1st 2014, we'd be top.

On December 25 2013, we were top.

Here's a fucking thought for you - maybe we are in a false position. But maybe it's not because we're 'due' to slip up or United or Spurs are ready to pounce and hanging in there. Maybe it's because we were unlucky having the two toughest fixtures in the calender back-to-back, over 3 days, during the most congested period in the calender? Maybe that's it. Because we were top of the league before those two games to the bankrolled pair. We're top of the form league since those two games. Maybe we are in a false position after all...

Or fucking maybe, just maybe I should be scared of the name of other clubs, or guard against optimism lest I look foolish for actually being bullish about what is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to measure by form, underlining statistics, the league table, basic common sense gleaned from watching matches or anything else that isn't piss-pants cowards logic because you're scared to fail and think your posts on here matter a jot about what will happen between now and the end of the season.

Good post.

The only way is up, not down. Most just seem mentally scarred from the last 5 years, which is making them all extremely paranoid.

For me we need to look for 3rd (or more?), the possibility of a tough qualifier is slightly worrying me.

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
« Reply #3010 on: February 25, 2014, 12:36:19 pm »
There will be favours aplenty in these coming weeks mate. The top 6/7 all have to play each other at one point. Teams have to drop points somewhere (including us most likely). We can only do our job. Come the Chelsea game we could be looking at a win to take us to the top and then it's in our hands

Yeah...someone posted a couple of days ago that there are still 12 fixtures between the top six sides during this last run-in.

While we have to take care of our business...there are opportunities for the others top drop points in crucial games.

I think you're right...that home game against Chelsea is going to have a lot riding on it...which is why I think Maureen will park the bus n invite us to go at them n try to nick one on the break.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline northern Monkey

• Kopite
« Reply #3011 on: February 25, 2014, 12:39:33 pm »
Yep, fantastic post Juan Loco.  I think there's an echo in here!

I am starting to find it really quite amusing how I know more LFC fans that think Ushited might still do something this season, than I do Utd fans.  Considering I live on the south coast these days, I know plenty of United fans.  We seem to have more faith in that shower, than their own fans or actually based on some of their performances even their players lol.

Baffling.

Offline jwill2127

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp is the man
« Reply #3012 on: February 25, 2014, 12:41:45 pm »
The next 3 games wil decide our season. 9 points we win the league, less than 5 we could miss out on 4th!  Our away form is not great but we have a full squad.... However we looked tired on sunday after no midweek game!!
Our support since 2005 is f@@@@@ @@@@

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3013 on: February 25, 2014, 12:43:15 pm »
Good post.

The only way is up, not down. Most just seem mentally scarred from the last 5 years, which is making them all extremely paranoid.

For me we need to look for 3rd (or more?), the possibility of a tough qualifier is slightly worrying me.

5 years? Try two decades.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #3014 on: February 25, 2014, 12:57:47 pm »
You're so miserable.

And you're a Chelsea fan........

we all have our crosses to bear.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Lovely Man

• Main Stander
  • I have Mr Mime
« Reply #3015 on: February 25, 2014, 01:06:28 pm »
Man City have the momentum and the games in hand, and the return of Aguero at the right time.

They've got a run-in that includes Hull, West Ham, Palace, West Brom, and Fulham.

They don't play a league game until 15 March, by which time they'll likely have a cup under their belt, and be out of the CL, but into the FA Cup quarter finals.

Let's not lose sight of our target at the beginning of the season, and that's CL qualification, hopefully automatic.

Haddaway - "What is love, baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more"

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #3016 on: February 25, 2014, 01:09:36 pm »
What will our seed ranking be if we qualify for CL?
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline greebo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3017 on: February 25, 2014, 01:12:22 pm »
United and Spurs fans are now doing the sort of thing people on here have been doing the past X years. Looking 5 fixtures down the line and building up these ideas of "well if they only get 2 points from the next 12..." or "if we get 13 from 15...".

Let's get this right kids - statistically we've been closer to the three sides above us than we have the teams 'competing for 4th'. "Oh, but stats don't tell you the whole picture, you can twist them however you want". Well, "the league table doesn't lie" and all that nonsense. We're 6 points ahead of anyone else competing for 4th. That's 6 points with a +32 goal difference on Spurs. That's a three game swing over eleven games. Spurs, the closest challenger for 4th, need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Everton need us to drop points in 3 more games than them between now and the end of the season. Manchester United need us to lose four more games than them. Over the next 11. Not draw. Lose. Do you know how many we've lost this season? 5. Do you know how many league games we've lost since the start of 2013? 8 in 45. I'll go back even further. Since United won at Anfield last season on the 23rd of September 2012, we've lost 10 games. Out of 60 in the league. That's not with Sturridge or Coutinho. That's Rodgers record besides the first 5 games. We aren't an easy team to beat. Haven't been in a long fucking time. More than long enough to say it's part of the Brendan Rodgers Liverpool DNA, not a streak. We've lost one set of back-to-back fixtures under Rodgers, and they were away to City and Chelsea. But hey, we must be fucking due a collapse, because that's what piss-pants logic dictates, right?

There is literally fucking nothing suggesting we're in a race for 4th instead of a title. I'm not even attempting to be an arrogant dickhead about it. It's just the only thing saying that is fucking cowards logic.

Practically every decent statistical model has us nailed on for top four. Our goal difference (usually a decent indicator) is 2nd best in the league. We're the only team to have kept even remotely within touching distance of City's goalscoring. This Liverpool team had scored more goals after 25 games than any of Arsene Wenger's Arsenal teams had. More than any of Ferguson's league winning teams had. More than any of Chelsea's teams. More than Keegan's Newcastle, more than fucking London club or Keegan's Newcastle. More than the 87-88 team. We're not lucky to be where we are. We're closer to the top than we are to anyone who thinks they're in a 'race for 4th'. We've been picking up 2 points a game steady enough for long over a year now. With Suarez, without Suarez. With Sturridge, without Sturridge. The only thing that doesn't look 'title contenders' about us is our defensive record. And y'know what? It's roughly in the same ball park as United's and Spurs' ones. Not that it fucking matters, because no team below us in the league has scored more than our front 3, never mind the rest of the team.

Here's a fucking thought for you - maybe we are in a false position. But maybe it's not because we're 'due' to slip up or United or Spurs are ready to pounce and hanging in there. Maybe it's because we were unlucky having the two toughest fixtures in the calender back-to-back, over 3 days, during the most congested period in the calender? Maybe that's it. Because we were top of the league before those two games to the bankrolled pair. We're top of the form league since those two games. Maybe we are in a false position after all...

Or fucking maybe, just maybe I should be scared of the name of other clubs, or guard against optimism lest I look foolish for actually being bullish about what is one of the best teams in the country, whether you want to measure by form, underlining statistics, the league table, basic common sense gleaned from watching matches or anything else that isn't piss-pants cowards logic because you're scared to fail and think your posts on here matter a jot about what will happen between now and the end of the season.

I have read some shite on here over the last few days but this is one of the most common sense and brilliant posts I have seen in a long time (add it to the Swansea round table thread).

I looked at the half time thread for the Swansea game and to be honest I was glad they were sat behind their fucking keyboards cos some of the shite being posted there those knobs would probably have booed us off at halftime.

As much as we want to tell ourselves it isn't on because of all of the years of disappointment IT IS ON!! We can outscore any team in this league. With a bit more luck over the Christmas period we would have picked up points and taken them off our nearest rivals AT THEIR HOME GROUND. We have a couple of tough games but so was Stoke away, so was Spurs away, so was Arsenal at home, so was Everton at home...... look at what we did there. On our day we can score hatfuls of goals. Yes, we leak goals, our keeper doesn't come for crosses or off his line much but at this point, with 11 games to go, we are winning games and scoring goals and as long as we score more than we let in it equals 3 points. We don't lose points cos we let in soft or unlucky goals.

Stevie wants it
Luis wants it
Danny wants it
Martin wants it
EVEN KOLO AND VICTOR WANT IT BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!
Fuck, they ALL want it.

AND SO SHOULD WE!!!! Get the negative shit out of here and start posting some positive and structured shit like Juan.

LETS FUCKING HAVE IT!!!!!

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #3018 on: February 25, 2014, 01:14:06 pm »
Bang on the money, as usual.

Piss pants logic. If you don't mind I'm going to adopt that phrase and use it repeatedly in my daily vernacular. It really is Chicken Little stuff.

I agree with the false position stuff, too. If Howard Webb wasn't too much of a shithouse to send of Etoo, and we'd got the result we easily deserved at City, we'd be top now. Absolutely no doubt about it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:16:29 pm by Red number seven »
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline niallers

• Anny Roader
  • "dont worry marge,its only a quilt....MY COOKIE!"
« Reply #3019 on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:52 pm »
What will our seed ranking be if we qualify for CL?
Not good. Most likely in pot 4 as we're currently 30th. Being out of Europe twice in last 5 years has hurt big time.
in america 1st you get the sugar then you get the power then you get the women

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3020 on: February 25, 2014, 01:27:40 pm »

LETS FUCKING HAVE IT!!!!!

LET'S BE HAVING YOU!!!

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3021 on: February 25, 2014, 01:29:57 pm »
Not good. Most likely in pot 4 as we're currently 30th. Being out of Europe twice in last 5 years has hurt big time.

Depends on who else qualifies. Spurs and Man United are two of the clubs above us, for starters.

Currently Milan, Inter, Valencia, Marseilles and Lyonnaise are all outside the Champions league places in their own leagues too, so as it stands we'd be in pot 3.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:42:21 pm by Nessy76 »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

• Kopite
« Reply #3022 on: February 25, 2014, 01:30:11 pm »
LET'S BE HAVING YOU!!!

Ugh...she's got some fucking hairy chest n back...
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #3023 on: February 25, 2014, 01:34:55 pm »

Really, really good post. I'd be more effusive with my praise, but you have spelt 'calendar' wrong. ;)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3024 on: February 25, 2014, 01:42:09 pm »
/snip

Great post, just one thing though, we aren't within touching distance of City's goal scoring, we've overtaken them, albeit they have played 1 game less.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3025 on: February 25, 2014, 01:57:50 pm »
Depends on who else qualifies. Spurs and Man United are two of the clubs above us, for starters.

Currently Milan, Inter, Valencia, Marseilles and Lyonnaise are all outside the Champions league places in their own leagues too, so as it stands we'd be in pot 3.

You can add PSV Eindhoven, Rubin Kazan and CSKA Moscow to that list as well.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #3026 on: February 25, 2014, 01:59:03 pm »
Bang on the money, as usual.

Piss pants logic. If you don't mind I'm going to adopt that phrase and use it repeatedly in my daily vernacular. It really is Chicken Little stuff.

I agree with the false position stuff, too. If Howard Webb wasn't too much of a shithouse to send of Etoo, and we'd got the result we easily deserved at City, we'd be top now. Absolutely no doubt about it.

Chelsea fan in work said he was looking right at the Et'oo challenge on Suarez and the whole stand had their heads in hands thinking we were getting the pen

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3027 on: February 25, 2014, 02:23:40 pm »
or maybe it's neither cowards or logic or not wanting to look foolish....but rather just the way you've been brought up watching Liverpool under successive great managers and the values that it/they instilled in you of not shouting the odds, never underestimating the opposition, never taking anything for granted and doing your talking on the pitch?

You must only be talking about Paisley and Fagan, because Shanks was forever talking Liverpool up and shouting the odds. Who was it that convinced press and fans alike that Liverpool would hammer Ajax 6-0 in the return leg? Or who handed out boxes of toilet rolls to the opposition as they arrived at Anfield? Or had a sign installed at the pitch entrance saying "This is Anfield", to remind the opposition of just who they were playing (as if they didn't know)?

Nobody is going overboard. It's called "being positive", and it's a natural result of being a part of something that is moving forward. Shankly called it "natural enthusiasm". For the first time in a small while, Liverpool fans are approaching the March fixtures with something to be "naturally enthusiastic" about in the league. We're not sitting at the kids table, looking enviously across at the grown-ups cavorting at the big table. We're part of that group now, and it's in our own hands to stay there for as long as possible. Nobody has said "we've won the league, we just have to play out the games". People are just being positive, excited, and enthusiastic about our chances. Shanks would almost certainly have approved of that.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline Kadian

• Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #3028 on: February 25, 2014, 02:23:46 pm »

You can add PSV Eindhoven, Rubin Kazan and CSKA Moscow to that list as well.

I like.

In the words of Neville, it's written in the stars.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #3029 on: February 25, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »
I think that all depends if we beat Southampton or not. 15 days is a long time to stew after a defeat.

Lose to the Saints and it's possible they could only be 5 points behind us by time we play them. Albeit we will have a game in hand on them.

Saturdays game is massive!

You sound like a united fan... "if they lose 4 and we win then blah blah blah". not going to happen

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3030 on: February 25, 2014, 02:36:33 pm »
I don't know about others but I just don't want to fully believe because the pain would be too much.

My motto: expect the worst, hope for the best.

It doesn't take any of the joy out of supporting the club and watching matches but it protects me against devastation. Who the fuck wants to be devastated?

I take it game by game. Over the moon when we win, bitterly disappointed when we lose but I never look to far into the future.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #3031 on: February 25, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »
I don't know about others but I just don't want to fully believe because the pain would be too much.

It doesn't take any of the joy out of supporting the club and watching matches but it protects me against devastation. Who the fuck wants to be devastated?

I take it game by game. Over the moon when we win, bitterly disappointed when we lose but I never look to far into the future.
that the same way i am (usually) but how can you not get your hopes up with that strike force(diluted slightly by our defence)

we have not looked so dangerous going forward since the days of Rush,Barnes and Beardsley,how can you not think we have a chance of winning the league?

BELIEVE

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3032 on: February 25, 2014, 02:42:14 pm »

With all due respect, that's a recipe for knee-jerkism right there. The big picture is always the most important one. It's a marathon, and not a sprint, etc.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3033 on: February 25, 2014, 02:48:44 pm »
You must only be talking about Paisley and Fagan, because Shanks was forever talking Liverpool up and shouting the odds. Who was it that convinced press and fans alike that Liverpool would hammer Ajax 6-0 in the return leg? Or who handed out boxes of toilet rolls to the opposition as they arrived at Anfield? Or had a sign installed at the pitch entrance saying "This is Anfield", to remind the opposition of just who they were playing (as if they didn't know)?

Nobody is going overboard. It's called "being positive", and it's a natural result of being a part of something that is moving forward. Shankly called it "natural enthusiasm". For the first time in a small while, Liverpool fans are approaching the March fixtures with something to be "naturally enthusiastic" about in the league. We're not sitting at the kids table, looking enviously across at the grown-ups cavorting at the big table. We're part of that group now, and it's in our own hands to stay there for as long as possible. Nobody has said "we've won the league, we just have to play out the games". People are just being positive, excited, and enthusiastic about our chances. Shanks would almost certainly have approved of that.

Great post POP as surely now is the time to be thinking positively as last August we were hoping for 4th spot but probably ready for less as long as there was progress. Right now we are there with room to spare and closer to the leading group of runners than those behind. A wee spurt in pace could have us right there so why not dig deep and see what we are made of. Others are complaining about having no strikers we have all we need and more so feck the doubters, look at the sign This is Anfield and make it so like it was in the great old days.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3034 on: February 25, 2014, 03:01:08 pm »
Just out of interest, how many people posting 'it's on', 'believe', 'it's ours to lose' etc etc...have actually seen us win the title?

Who posted "it's ours to lose".

I believe we could win both the Uefa Cup, Champions League and FA Cup before we won them - I hadn't seen us win any of thsoe either.

Why would it matter anyway?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

• Kopite
« Reply #3035 on: February 25, 2014, 03:11:38 pm »

If you don't love like you've never been hurt...it's only half love.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3036 on: February 25, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »
The crucial aspect of any title challenge is we need to remember that we weren't expected to do well at all. Our ambition was to break into the top four. Therefore, the further we move away from 5th, we can play our games without pressure, we aren't supposed to be challenging, go out and try to win, with just 11 games of our season left. Chelsea have the 'Special One' back, he's under pressure to win it, Arsenal bought Ozil and need to break this 8/9 year drought, Man City are the money men. While as fans we will be wishing and hoping, ultimately, if our team doesn't quite make it, there won't be quite the same post mortem as there might be elsewhere.

No-one in their right mind should be annoyed at the players if we don't make it, disappointed that we didn't capitalise on an opportunity perhaps, but c'est la vie.

Yes, the fixture list is kinder to Chelsea of the top three, but they will be in Europe still you would imagine after this round of games. Man City will have FA Cup, and re-arranged games to play together due to postponements, we can actually go above them if we beat Southampton as they don't play this weekend with the Carling Cup final, Arsenal have a difficult run of games and an FA Cup run to continue - morale, tiredness, pressure can all build in the coming weeks.

The joy of football besides the actual winning, is surely being in this position with 11 games to go. Having your football team catapult you into a dream of winning the one thing you want your team to win so much. From Hicks and Gillett, mutiny on the Kop against Havant and Waterlooville, Purslow, nearing administration, court cases, a finish of 8th in the league, a feeling that we might never get back anywhere near this sort of position. Perhaps we lose to Southampton like people have suggested, it might happen, but it won't mean that we haven't made the progress. Barring complete collapse we should get fourth. Therefore we are in a position now, where with every win, why not, allow yourself to dream of higher up the table like we have done in the past? Liverpool are back. We're marching up that hill, but some of us don't seem ready yet to sing the song, to march into battle behind the red men!

I mean perhaps we don't win the league, no worries. Maybe we can get direct qualification for the Champions League in a position of 2nd or 3rd - and really cement a brilliant season and start preparing for the new season with Champions League confirmed!

Ultimately the real excitement for me, comes from Liverpool being back. As Phase of Play says, it means so much to me, just to think of the Southampton game and get butterflies- knowing that while watching it, it will matter so much to me- and that's because of our direct improvement. It's not a game where if we win we can cut the gap to fourth to 6 points, it's a game where we can keep 4 points from the summit, or even closer to 1st, or 2nd if Chelsea or Arsenal drop.

Gerrard's goal was massively important, but if I remember correctly, Benayoun's winner against Fulham away came after the league leaders had dropped points. Imagine if Chelsea somehow manage a draw against Fulham away and we grab another last minute winner against Southampton later in the day? I think I would get kicked out of any pub I was in ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:38:42 pm by Hij »

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3037 on: February 25, 2014, 03:32:31 pm »
The crucial aspect of any title challenge is we need to remember that we weren't expected to do well at all. Our ambition was to break into the top four. Therefore, the further we move away from 5th, we can play our games without pressure, we aren't supposed to be challenging, go out and try to win, with just 11 games of our season left. Chelsea have the Special One back, he's under pressure to win it, Arsenal bought Ozil and need to break this 8/9 year drought, Man City are the money men. While as fans we will be wishing and hoping, ultimately, if our team doesn't quite make it, there won't be quite the same post mortem as there might be elsewhere.

No-one in their right mind should be annoyed at the players if we don't make it, disappointed that we didn't capitalise on an opportunity perhaps, but c'est la vie.

Yes, the fixture list is kinder to Chelsea of the top three, but they will be in Europe still you would imagine after this round of games. Man City will have FA Cup, and re-arranged games to play together due to postponements, we can actually go above them if we beat Southampton as they don't play this weekend with the Carling Cup final.

I mean perhaps we don't win the league, no worries. Maybe we can get direct qualification for the Champions League in a position of 2nd or 3rd - and really cement a brilliant season and start preparing for the new season with Champions League confirmed!
Problem is, we are notoriously crap at negiotating transfers in a major tournament year! Need to get targets signed up before the World Cup!

Offline Hij

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3038 on: February 25, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »
Problem is, we are notoriously crap at negiotating transfers in a major tournament year! Need to get targets signed up before the World Cup!

Some might say we are notoriously crap with transfers full stop! Will certainly help us to have the Champions League locked down before August though.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #3039 on: February 25, 2014, 03:42:10 pm »
Chelsea fan in work said he was looking right at the Et'oo challenge on Suarez and the whole stand had their heads in hands thinking we were getting the pen
I meant the sending off, but, yep, the pen too.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.