Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #2 - Neil Mellor vs Arsenal, Nov 2004  (Read 11410 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #2 - Neil Mellor vs Arsenal, Nov 2004
« on: November 25, 2014, 04:41:11 pm »
At the end of a storm

Liverpool's first season under Rafa Benitez will always (and rightly so) be remembered for it being the year Liverpool defeated Ac Milan to win their 5th European cup.

Those of us old enough to remember the season though will know it like the back of our hand, and I doubt many reading this don’t know, but for those that were too young or simply forgot, it wasn’t always plain sailing. Benitez sailed HMS Liverpool through some choppy waters. It was typical of a first season one comes to expect from a new manager. Times a changing, new players and a new manager take time to bed down and Benitez and Liverpool were no different. For every magical night under Benitez that season there was a hangover in the league. The season in a lot of ways made sense, new manager as I said, takes time to get his vision implemented.

Then again it made no sense when Liverpool triumphed in Europe one minute and then went and lost to someone like Crystal Palace next time out. In Europe we looked world class, in the league we were very inconsistent, it was difficult to keep track of it all and emotions ranged from one extreme to the other.

I remember my own personal life was strained, some of it was my own doing, some of it was just crazy. I worked about 60 hours a week, I drove 400 miles a week in a tiny little ford fiesta that remarkably never broke down, I had two jobs, both were crap. I was on a football team and well that was a pile of shit too.

Monday - Friday in the office, people just moaning at you on the phone all day because they feel like it, their life is shit so it's all your fault and if you cough whilst on the phone they’ll complain about you, listening to pensioners drone on the phone repeating the same thing for an hour and when I did get off the phone I had the pleasure of listening to two women in the office whinge at each other all day and then both running off crying.

Tuesdays and Thursdays. Finish work, dash home, get changed and go to work again, deliver take aways to top up the wage and help pay the bills, listening to a manager roar abuse at you in front of customers yet if you so much as coughed it was all your fault and you were out of order, turn up twice a week wrecked and get given out to for saying hello (really that actually happened). fuck that.

Monday and Wednesday- go training with the team, travel further than anyone, drop people to and from training and then listen to them abuse you all night. Listen to people whinge on about commitment then watch them no show a week's training because it was too cold or they were too tired to walk down the road to train as they had a long hard day on the dole. Bust your hole to get from work to training and only 6 players show up.

Saturday, listen to people whinge at you because you hoofed the ball clear, every goal is your fault and then drive 120 miles to see your Mrs before heading home Sunday and then start all over again.

Shortly before Liverpool played Arsenal the Gunners had lost a long unbeaten record in the league, a defeat at Manchester United was Arsenal's first for some 18 months, spanning 49 matches which also included the previous seasons Premiership title, a title they had won without actually losing a game. The match was to take place Sunday at Anfield at the end of November, not long before this I had actually attended a home match with Crystal Palace, it ended 3-2 to Liverpool with Milan Baros scoring a hat-trick. It was a well-earned weekend away for me considering what I had just explained above.

No sooner was I back then I was just thrown back in the shit again, I had a fall out with my parents, the details of which I won't go in to but I didn’t speak to them for several weeks after, work in the office was the same shit of listening to one bitch whinge at another for having a cup of tea or some other heinous crime, then go into the chippy, yay I love getting given out to for saying hello and when all that’s done I can trudge around in the rain training listening to everyone tell me I'm a shit footballer because I got beat for a header by some 8ft3 centre forward last game out.

The Saturday before the Arsenal game I vividly remember a few things, one was doing a bet on Harry Kewell for first goal, as we headed off to play a team a couple of divisions ahead of us in the cup. We had played this team not so long before this day in another competition and got beat 6-1. 2 or 3-1 might have been a fair reflection and one of their lads actually came over to us after saying so which actually meant a lot. We were a young team in our first season and we were learning. I was one of the oldest players and I was only 21, I was the only one that could drive too which meant packing all the gear into my car and running around like a mad man to get the team to games. I was actually confident we could give this lot a game. I did require a good warm up because of a groin injury that had bugged me for the best part of a year, however no sooner had I started it than I was ordered to drop some lad home as Anto the resident gobshite of the team had turned up with one boot!!!!!

By the time I got back I'd no time to do a warm up as it was less than 5 mins to kick off. The game kicked off with me right back, I will claim to this day that I played well, despite that at half time we were 4-0 down. Our left back is a lad I still get the odd game with in a 5 a side and he still plays for a team but that day was the worst I ever saw him play, 3 goals came from a long ball over the top which centre backs could only respond to by falling over, the other was our keeper dropping a ball under no pressure. Our strikers couldn’t have touched the ball more than twice each all half, and I remember at least 3 times two of our midfielders went to kick the ball and completely missed it. Indeed our central midfield captain roared to one striker to drop back and help out midfield and which point he was told to "fuck off".

Needless to say at half time the gaffer was absolutely livid, half time usually only lasted 5 minutes in this league. I remember thinking "lets fucking give this our best shot, you never know". I thought to myself "you know what, we can still do this". As I was walking back on ready to go the manager pulls me aside. I thought he was going to switch me to centre back or ask me to get forward more. But oh no
"off!"
"WHAT?"
"off"
"me? ? ? ? ? ? ?????"
"yes"

I could name 8 players that should have been hooked before me that day. I had enough, I was fucked if I'm gonna give up every free minute I have for this shit, to drop people everywhere and not take any petrol money, to bust myself in training with an injury all season to then get taken off at half time with no word of an explanation, the previous game I played and actually ditched my Mrs on her birthday for it. I was sick of it all, I was sick of being blamed for everything. There was a bunch of water bottles next to the manager as he walked off and I volleyed them full force in his direction. Within 5 minutes I had changed out of my kit and had my bag packed and tracksuit on, not one person had come within 10 foot of me to explain why I was brought off. I'm fucked if I'm staying here another 40 minutes to give lifts so I got in my car and left them to sort out their own ways home, sick of being used for lifts. No one stopped me. no one even bothered to try, before I had even left pitch side a ball went down the wing I'd been defending. Cross goal 5-0, I was actually delighted. I was very close to cheering. Fuck yous I'm off to see me Mrs, excuse the pun but I've better things to do on Saturdays.

The next day Liverpool hosted Arsenal and I headed into Belfast, this was as I mentioned an Arsenal team that hadn’t lost one game en-route to the league title the previous season. Since 1998 they had won 3 leagues and 3 FA cups, they played exhilarating football, long banishing the boring boring Arsenal chants. Liverpool themselves had been labelled boring the previous few years under Gerard Houllier but with Rafa Benitez here now we tried to create something as solid as a Houllier side only with more flair up top.

Liverpool did start off fairly well, Steven Gerrard was denied a penalty in the third minute, and we continued to probe until a cross field ball from Steve Finnan was knocked down by Harry Kewell into the path of the onrushing Gerrard. Neil Mellor's run made space for Gerrard to tee up Xabi Alonso who rifled a 20 yard shot smack bang into the top corner, one of the best goals of the season. 1-0 and fully deserved, a great way to end the first half. The second continued in the same vein. I can remember Florent Sinama Pongolle making a fool out of two Arsenal players in the corner shimmying one way and going the other showing them who is boss. Just before the hour mark Arsenal hit a sucker punch with an outstanding team goal as Robert Pires and Thierry Henry played in Patrick Vieira who chipped the ball over the onrushing Chris Kirkland for an undeserved albeit brilliant equalizer.

I began to recall the previous tales above, family, jobs, football and Liverpool all giving me shit, I remembered Arsenal's unbeaten season when they came to Anfield, got played off the pitch for most of the game yet won 2-1, they were going to do it again weren’t they? Just my luck. We did continue to play extremely well but I had that sinking feeling so much so that 3 minutes into injury time when Chris Kirkland took a free kick from deep in our own half almost by the corner flag I actually wanted him to waste time, I'd take a draw.

This was the moment everything that went against me got repaid with interest. Ever remember back to the future? Biff the bully constantly picked on Marty's loser dad in the 60s, who constantly took shit thrown at him, never fought back until the prom night he summoned everything to land a peach of a left hook on the bully boy and knock him for 6 to save his future wife. Well something like that happened here. An absolute haymkaker if ever you saw one.

Kirkland's free kicked went long, Harry Kewell competed for it but was hauled to the deck by I think Sol Campbell, the pub I was in was up in arms for a free kick to be given but in stepped Neil Mellor. Liverpool's number 33 had banged in goals for years in the reserves and was finally getting a big chance upfront in light of injuries, one thing Mellor would no doubt have been taught growing up was "play the whistle".

Some 25 yards from goal, and not arsed wanting a free kick, Mellor suddenly launched a thunderous half volley goal bound and from the second it left his boot it was only going one place. It was placed perfectly as Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann was too far over the other side of his goal to get across. The ball flew majestically into the bottom corner and all the weeks of being pissed off were let go, arms up, screaming wildly, jumping 10 feet in the air, the Mrs looked at me as if to say "errr I don’t know you". Arsenal stood dejected, Patrick Vieira and Sol Campbell looked to the sky, the game was up. Replays showed the goal from every angle as I continued to cheer on like I'd just won the lotto, the storm clouds dispersed and there was the golden sky, replays had no sooner finished than the final whistle went.

Liverpool had won it at the death but to use the word stole would be an injustice, late goals are always lucky but if you ever you made your own luck then this was it, it was nothing we didn’t deserve, it was nothing I didn’t deserve. Mellor's goal suddenly made me remember that maybe we didn’t live in such a bad world, well until I had to go to work or go back training that was but that could wait until another day. It was a good day to be a Liverpool fan, it was a good day to be me again but best of all it was undoubtedly the day of all days for Neil Mellor.

:scarf :scarf
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:10:03 pm by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #2 - Neil Mellor vs Arsenal, Nov 2004
« Reply #1 on: December 2, 2014, 08:40:01 am »
Woah another masterpiece :) Loved it :)
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2014, 08:55:47 am »
Great read - up there in quality with the goal and the moment it describes. Thanks!

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #3 on: December 2, 2014, 09:09:47 am »
Neil Mellor!! that season oh god, there are many names that we tend to forget but Neil Mellor isn't one of them.

Thanks a ton for your wonderful take on all of it Hellrazor.  :thumbup
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: December 2, 2014, 09:55:55 am »
3 superb goals from this game, all very different in their own way. Looking back , that Arsenal goal was exquisite. One of those goals where everyone is on the same wavelength and it all played out a couple of passes ahead in their minds.

Still wasn't enough though! The first team to beat them in ages without having to rely on a very dodgy penalty!

Cheers Hellrazor!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 2, 2014, 11:17:06 am »
Number 2. I was there. I loved this.
Yep.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 2, 2014, 11:46:41 am »
Great stuff!
Made me smile that, as a I know exactly where I was. Was in Austria, the very first day on a new job. We drove to a new city, I managed to find a pub that showed the game. Then I forced my new colleague to watch the game with me. And then Mellor's goal.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline RdJRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: December 2, 2014, 11:56:56 am »
Watched that one in a bar in Rio de Janeiro with a mate who is a Utd fan.  He was cheering nearly as much as me..
YNWA

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: December 2, 2014, 12:09:40 pm »
One of my favorite ever goals!
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #9 on: December 2, 2014, 01:54:41 pm »
Love that goal.

Was at school, completely forgot the match was on - it was on a Sunday afternoon, I thought it was a Monday night game.

Went up to my room and looked at the score with an Arsenal supporting mate who didn't know it either. When we saw the result and who scored (and when) it was brilliant, even better when I saw the goals, particularly Mellor's.

Good lad Neil Mellor, commentating now for Soccer Saturday.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 2, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »
thank you all

as you know Neil (as Jerseykopite said) can be seen on Soccer Saturday

unfortunately he got a pretty bad injury just after this, i dont think he would have been a 20 goal a season player but for the reserves he did score a lot of goals. He was doing here what he would have been good at, a backup to come in here and there. He scored two earlier that month in the league cup against Middlesboro and of course scored against Olympiakos and around the same time against Newcastle. He picked up a bad knee injury around January 2005 and that was the last we saw of him for us.

Very willing worker though. only just turned 32

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 2, 2014, 04:26:58 pm »
Love it. Neil Mellor will remain a legend for the exploits of this season. This goal epitomises so much of what we are about.

Great write up sir!
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 2, 2014, 04:29:56 pm »
Yeah, another fine read mate. Shame he struggled with injuries and a shame he had to retire early.

A last minute winner against Arsenal and that goal and nod back to Gerrard against Olympiakos meant it wasn't a bad 10 or so days for him.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: December 2, 2014, 04:34:05 pm »
Yeah, another fine read mate. Shame he struggled with injuries and a shame he had to retire early.

A last minute winner against Arsenal and that goal and nod back to Gerrard against Olympiakos meant it wasn't a bad 10 or so days for him.

We think we have Striker problems now. Around this time we were without Cisse who has that shocking leg break at Blackburn and Baros who had a niggling hamstring injury leaving us with only Mellor and Sinama-Pongolle. We bought Morientes in the January. I was at the League Cup game with Spurs and Mellor was subbed off at 0-0 midway through the 2nd Half because we needed him for the League game at the weekend.

We came through it ok in the end! :D

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 2, 2014, 04:41:21 pm »
Love it. Neil Mellor will remain a legend for the exploits of this season. This goal epitomises so much of what we are about.

Great write up sir!
thank you sir

yeah i forgot that. brilliant assist. i love them back headers

We think we have Striker problems now. Around this time we were without Cisse who has that shocking leg break at Blackburn and Baros who had a niggling hamstring injury leaving us with only Mellor and Sinama-Pongolle. We bought Morientes in the January. I was at the League Cup game with Spurs and Mellor was subbed off at 0-0 midway through the 2nd Half because we needed him for the League game at the weekend.

We came through it ok in the end! :D
thats right!

start of season we had cisse, baros, mellor, pongolle.

-cisse got injured in october and came back in march. was lucky to come back at all
-baros always seemed to have niggles
-mellor and pongolle got pretty bad knee injuries in january and that was the end of them
-morientes came in and got injured vs everton and missed one or two games.

home to bolton i think we had luis garcia and steven gerrard upfront. it kinda forced us to go with one up top but i dont think that was a bad thing. it suited our system and got the best out of attacking mids like gerrard and garcia.

plus cisse and baros hadnt a clue how to play together. i saw them against villa the game before istanbul and it was like watching two headless chickens.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #15 on: December 2, 2014, 04:44:25 pm »
Hellrazor..so did your team have you back after you drove home.. :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 2, 2014, 09:53:50 pm »
Hellrazor..so did your team have you back after you drove home.. :P
next match. Last min of match assistant manager called me a bottler. We were in middle of lining up a wall but I had enough and roared back "shut your hole you fat c*nt"

I lasted about another year but by then I was hardly playing so I left. First game after I left only 9 players showed up.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #17 on: December 2, 2014, 10:02:41 pm »
next match. Last min of match assistant manager called me a bottler. We were in middle of lining up a wall but I had enough and roared back "shut your hole you fat c*nt"

I lasted about another year but by then I was hardly playing so I left. First game after I left only 9 players showed up.

Should have become a Ref and ref'd that League. Ultimate payback.. :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 2, 2014, 10:16:12 pm »
Should have become a Ref and ref'd that League. Ultimate payback.. :P
oh crikey. Wouldn't ref there. I don't like broken legs

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #19 on: December 2, 2014, 10:37:35 pm »
Loved it.  :)
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #20 on: December 2, 2014, 11:21:31 pm »

Excellent.  And a magnificent piece Hellrazor.  :scarf
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 2, 2014, 11:34:51 pm »
Great stuff mate, and Mellor has turned in to such a good pundit as well.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #22 on: December 2, 2014, 11:58:52 pm »
Super piece, thanks.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 3, 2014, 08:37:08 am »
thanks folks

looking forward to number 3 today

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #24 on: December 3, 2014, 09:45:30 am »
Cheers Hellrazor, enjoyed this. :wave

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 3, 2014, 10:23:50 am »

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #26 on: December 3, 2014, 11:06:04 am »
I loved this goal. I remember where I was. On my sofa after leaving work early to watch the game on TV.  I still remember Sol Campbell's face after he saw it go in.

Even though it sadly didnt work out for Neil he got to do tthree things we amateurs only dream about. He wore the liverpool first team shirt, played at Anfield and scored a true wonder goal loved by fans.

Regardless of what happens to him in life no one can ever take those things away from him.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 3, 2014, 11:52:51 am »

Regardless of what happens to him in life no one can ever take those things away from him.
indeed they cant

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: December 3, 2014, 12:05:00 pm »
Was nine at the time and I remember it feeling like a really good win - at the time, Arsenal felt invincible to me (indeed, they were the 'Invincibles') so for us to beat them felt like a sign that we were moving forward and a sign that we weren't going to be the average, lightweight team we'd been in the previous couple of seasons.

Though I have to say, every time I watch the Mellor goal he always seems to be closer and closer to the goal. I always remembered it as being like 40 yards out and every time I've watched it since, he always seems to have crept forward a yard or two
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 3, 2014, 12:17:59 pm »
Though I have to say, every time I watch the Mellor goal he always seems to be closer and closer to the goal. I always remembered it as being like 40 yards out and every time I've watched it since, he always seems to have crept forward a yard or two

Oh you are lovely Lanky.   :-* :wave

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 3, 2014, 01:01:35 pm »

funny you should say that

my initial draft i had it down for about a 35 yarder. when i watched it again on youtube i was thinking the same as you

this time next year itll be on the goal line ;)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 3, 2014, 01:13:59 pm »
funny you should say that

my initial draft i had it down for about a 35 yarder. when i watched it again on youtube i was thinking the same as you

this time next year itll be on the goal line ;)

Ah g'way.   You're as daft as he is.  Great though eh?  :scarf 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 3, 2014, 01:29:21 pm »
Ah g'way.   You're as daft as he is.  Great though eh?  :scarf 
:D

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 3, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »
I was nine at the time, give me a bit of leeway. Perspective is not as rational as it is now ;)
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 4, 2014, 08:55:06 am »
Probably the goal that got me watching Liverpool more seriously, coming from an immigrant, non football family.

Oh and it's a definite 35 yarder. Not going to watch a video and ruin the nostalgia.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #35 on: December 5, 2014, 01:44:39 pm »
This is probably the goal I have celebrated the most

For younger fans beating Arsenal 2-1 at home might not be that impressive but I assure you nobody gave us a chance beforehand. Think this season Chelsea but better in my opinion. Our season wasn't going well and up pops a product of our academy to score an absolute screamer in the last minute of injury time to beat last season's invincibles!

Incredible stuff   

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 5, 2014, 02:47:28 pm »
It's a story we all know well, but even now, with 10 years of perspective, when I look at the players we had that year, and how abject we were for most of it, and yet at the end of the year we won the European Cup, despite being 0-3 down in the final?!  Football will never, ever, deliver like that for us again!  Great article.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #37 on: December 7, 2014, 09:43:09 am »
Dover think Mellor is best remembered for this or for his 'lovely cushioned header'?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 08:44:08 am »
An unlikely hero saved the day to go down in Liverpool folklore - never to be forgotten.
And, yet another fantastic winner at the Kop end.

Great read mate.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2014, 02:01:26 pm »
Great post i loved watching Neil play for us, and to be fair he is good pundit now as well, as many said shame about the injury, he is still a legend in my eyes.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway