Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 58444 times)

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #680 on: March 30, 2012, 01:47:16 am »
There's no LED for notifications is there? Or are the apps i'm using not working?

There's a notification LED on mine. Top right, front, in the opposite corner to the camera that you can set to blink with things like incoming emails, texts, etc.  Or do you mean something different?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:50:01 am by SportBilly »
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: March 30, 2012, 09:52:36 am »
Been offered one of these (phone free) by Orange 500 mins, unlimited texts and 1.75gb Data, which is more than enough for me.

Tempted but might wait for the HTC One X.

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #682 on: March 30, 2012, 11:44:35 am »
Can anyone recommend a decent case?

ACase - comes in 2 parts.  Inner layer is a silicone type thing that keeps the phone feeling quite thin.  The second optional hard layer goes over the top of the silicone one but adds a bit of thickness, even thought the hard shell itself is very thin.

It protects the camera when the phoneis on it's back and also the screen if you put it screen-down.

Comes with a good screen protector.

Very good case - but expensive.  But hey, it's a £400 handset.

"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: March 30, 2012, 11:56:53 am »
What are those 2 things at the top next to the camera for?

Not to sure.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #684 on: March 30, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »
What are those 2 things at the top next to the camera for?
I'd imagine one is a light sensor for the auto dimming screen?

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #685 on: April 3, 2012, 11:04:02 am »
What are the best pay monthly deals at the moment? Currently have a Desire on Orange that I've paid £17.50 a month for with 500Mb data. I think there's a 'T' Mobile offer that works out at just over £18 a month with 1.5G data through mobiles.co.uk.

Got mine delivered yesterday, £17 a month, 300 mins, unlimited texts (booster), unlimited tinternet, upgrade from T Mobile themselves which I thought was a bargain considering I was paying £10.50 a month on my Desire with only 100mins. I did ring them on the last day of March, could have upgraded on the 13th, always found the last day of the month is the best time.

Was going to wait for the One X but they are just getting too big now, the Galaxy is just about right for my needs.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2012, 11:06:28 am by keithcun »
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #686 on: April 3, 2012, 01:25:54 pm »
Just released version 2.0.0 of the LFCHistory app, see the thread in the Techonology and Science section for more details.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #687 on: April 3, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »
Was going to wait for the One X but they are just getting too big now, the Galaxy is just about right for my needs.
No need to wait, they have them in stock now.  And why not go for the One S, the smaller brother of the One X?

Not that you'll be disappointed in any way with the S2, mind.  It's an excellent handset.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #688 on: April 3, 2012, 03:12:27 pm »
No need to wait, they have them in stock now.  And why not go for the One S, the smaller brother of the One X?

Not that you'll be disappointed in any way with the S2, mind.  It's an excellent handset.

T Mobile who I'm with said it was probably only available with them early May. Maybe they wanted to get rid of old stock of Galaxy's before the new ones come in, I don't know but I just used that to get a better deal on the Galaxy, so everyone's a winner.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #689 on: April 3, 2012, 04:49:02 pm »
Instagram is out on Android now.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: April 3, 2012, 04:57:21 pm »
i don't get instagram, what's so great about it, it just takes odd looking pics, right?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #691 on: April 3, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »
i don't get instagram, what's so great about it, it just takes odd looking pics, right?

Yep, and if one more person posts one on my Headbook timeline im going to kill somebody.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: April 5, 2012, 11:55:17 am »
absolutely loving this phone, a massive, massive step up from my iphone 3g, it doesnt really compare at all

i just ordered a car charger and holder as well as a case, great

i was wondering does anyone know what i need in order to listen to music from my phone through the speakers in the car? i have a 7 year old car with just a cassette player in it if that makes a difference

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Proud member of the Witness Relocation Program
« Reply #693 on: April 5, 2012, 12:08:39 pm »
I have had an S2 for just over a month now but keep having trouble connecting to my home wifi.

It appears connected on the phone, the icon appears but when I try to go online there is no connection.

I have tried searching around for some solutions to this; selecting Static IP address, making sure it doesn't disconnect when phone is locked etc. This seemed to work for a bit but now its worse than ever.

Anyone else get this, or have any potential solutions? Its driving me nuts!
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: April 5, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »
I have had an S2 for just over a month now but keep having trouble connecting to my home wifi.

It appears connected on the phone, the icon appears but when I try to go online there is no connection.

I have tried searching around for some solutions to this; selecting Static IP address, making sure it doesn't disconnect when phone is locked etc. This seemed to work for a bit but now its worse than ever.

Anyone else get this, or have any potential solutions? Its driving me nuts!

Think ive found a fix.

Settings > Wireless and Network > Wi-Fi Settings > Settings (touch key to the left of the main button) > Advanced > Use Static IP - turn this off.

No idea why this is on as default, but that's what was forcing mine to continually disconnect. I also made the wi-fi sleep policy 'never'.

Its working for me so far, with Wi-Fi being on and I have an internet connection and mobile signal. Touch wood thats the end of that problem and it doesn't go off again.  :wave

this fixed mine  :wave

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Proud member of the Witness Relocation Program
« Reply #695 on: April 5, 2012, 01:02:50 pm »

this fixed mine  :wave

Cheers, will give it a go.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #696 on: April 5, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »
absolutely loving this phone, a massive, massive step up from my iphone 3g, it doesnt really compare at all

i was wondering does anyone know what i need in order to listen to music from my phone through the speakers in the car? i have a 7 year old car with just a cassette player in it if that makes a difference

Far  as i know off the top of my head this will do the job...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/CASSETTE+ADAPTER.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Obiously wil be cheaper variants avalible on ebay and amazon

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: April 5, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »
Far  as i know off the top of my head this will do the job...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/CASSETTE+ADAPTER.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Obiously wil be cheaper variants avalible on ebay and amazon

cheers mate,

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: April 5, 2012, 10:29:37 pm »
i think there's a bluetooth cassette out for cars these days
STFU and agree with me.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: April 5, 2012, 11:58:05 pm »

Not sure about a cassette player. As iSmiff said, you might be able to get a bluetooth cassette, or alternatively a cassette with a cable that you plug into your headphone jack.  (EDIT: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-PH-62050-MP3-MD-To-Cassette-Adapter/dp/B0007R4LI8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333666704&sr=8-2)

I finally managed to get mine working via USB though. I used to use my iPhone 3GS via USB, and could control it via the steering wheel controls, however when I plugged my S2 in it kept saying "invalid device" (after several minutes of saying it was searching for music). If anyone else has this issue and doesn't know a workaround, the following will do it:

1) Make sure your phone is unplugged from the stereo
  2) Go to the USB settings on the phone (on Ice Cream Sandwich its under Settings > More > USB Utilities, I think on Gingerbread its with the wi-fi settings).
  3) Click "Connect storage to PC"
  4) When prompted, plug it into the stereo
  5) It will then ask you another question (can't remember what exactly), but select "Yes".
  6) That's it, it should now work.

Only downside is you can't choose playlists (certainly on my stereo anyway) which I could with the iPhone. Oh, and you have to repeat the above process each time you plug it in.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: April 6, 2012, 11:48:13 am »
Well I'm tired of waiting for Vodafone and probably going to install ice cream sandwich manually this weekend.  Does it live up to the hype?

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: April 6, 2012, 01:58:52 pm »
Well I'm tired of waiting for Vodafone and probably going to install ice cream sandwich manually this weekend.  Does it live up to the hype?

I'd suggest waiting for Vodafone to release it to be honest and not risk voiding your warranty. It might be that I've just not found everything thats new, but there doesn't seem to be that much. It might also be that I use Go Launcher, some of the new things in Ice Cream Sandwich (such as folders on the home screens) have been done in Go Launcher already so I've not noticed much difference.

The things I have noticed and like though are:

- You can now take panorama photos easier - press the shoot button once, then turn the phone and it continues taking photos automatically to build up your panoramic photo.
  - Task manager is a lot nicer than before, with thumbnails of the different apps that are open
  - The notifications bar now allows you to remove individual notifications by swiping them to the side, rather than having to clear all at once

Apart from that I really haven't noticed much. I thought there would be a lot more new stuff.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #702 on: April 6, 2012, 04:57:26 pm »
What's the Google Chrome browser like?

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: April 6, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »

i didnt like it quite slow download Dolphin Browser HD think its much better faster response time aswell

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: April 7, 2012, 12:14:26 am »
Anyone ever had their fone heat up last couple of nights went ever i put my fone on charg the heat went holding it is unbelivablly hot to hold any suggestions

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: April 7, 2012, 08:51:06 am »
Anyone ever had their fone heat up last couple of nights went ever i put my fone on charg the heat went holding it is unbelivablly hot to hold any suggestions

Using the official charger? My Galaxy W gets a tad warm when I use a 2 Amp car charger. Think the usual is 0.7-1 Amp.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: April 7, 2012, 12:00:28 pm »
I'd suggest waiting for Vodafone to release it to be honest and not risk voiding your warranty. It might be that I've just not found everything thats new, but there doesn't seem to be that much. It might also be that I use Go Launcher, some of the new things in Ice Cream Sandwich (such as folders on the home screens) have been done in Go Launcher already so I've not noticed much difference.

The things I have noticed and like though are:

- You can now take panorama photos easier - press the shoot button once, then turn the phone and it continues taking photos automatically to build up your panoramic photo.
  - Task manager is a lot nicer than before, with thumbnails of the different apps that are open
  - The notifications bar now allows you to remove individual notifications by swiping them to the side, rather than having to clear all at once

Apart from that I really haven't noticed much. I thought there would be a lot more new stuff.

Warranty isn't much of a problem.  I'm with Vodafone on a business account and it's amazing how readily they will swap broken phones - zero checks are made. In any case I'd be taking all the precautions, backups etc.

Is it not noticeably faster then?  I was hoping for a bit of a speed increase as well as more features.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: April 7, 2012, 05:52:23 pm »
Mine gets hot as fuck sometimes, both if im using it heavily or charging it.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #708 on: April 7, 2012, 05:57:28 pm »

It's ok. I started using it purely because it could sync up everything with Chrome on my PC. If I had 5 tabs open at the last sync, those same 5 tabs would open on my phone when I open Chrome. I could continue right where I left off. The zooming in is a bit weird. Sometimes when I click a link it just magnifies the link instead of going to it. It doesn't have full screen browsing either. I been using it for about 3 months and just yesterday I moved back to the stock ICS browser. It's brilliant. A massive upgrade from Gingerbread. Full screen browsing and it did sync up my bookmarks from my PC so screw Chrome. Hopefully when it comes out of beta it will be a lot better, but for now the stock browser is brilliant.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: April 7, 2012, 06:12:52 pm »
When are T-Mobile (or any other networks) planning on upgrading it to ICS?

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: April 7, 2012, 09:48:34 pm »
Warranty isn't much of a problem.  I'm with Vodafone on a business account and it's amazing how readily they will swap broken phones - zero checks are made. In any case I'd be taking all the precautions, backups etc.

Is it not noticeably faster then?  I was hoping for a bit of a speed increase as well as more features.

Can't say I've noticed any speed improvements. Then again, everything seems to be instant with the phone anyway so not much chance of noticing anything :)

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #712 on: April 7, 2012, 09:49:53 pm »
I think Orange is sometime this month.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #713 on: April 8, 2012, 02:00:15 am »

Virgin Mobile , who Im with, provide S2's to their customers that are not locked in to the network so technically we should have already had it but they are taking ages to test.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #714 on: April 8, 2012, 02:55:00 am »
Really don't like the fact that networks get hold of updates. It should be Google > manufacturer > customers.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #715 on: April 8, 2012, 03:03:49 am »
Really don't like the fact that networks get hold of updates. It should be Google > manufacturer > customers.

Yep, its all to do with ensuring customers dont claim against them if it goes tits i reckon.
Not all that arsed myself to be honest. As long as the dam thing still works couldnt care less about FaceLock and all that shite.

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
« Reply #716 on: April 8, 2012, 09:59:19 am »
I really, really want this phone. Has anyone ever used moneysupermarket.com or affordablemobiles.co.uk before?

They have much better deals but a bit anxious about this cashback malarky.

300 mins, unlimited texts and 750MB would be perfect for me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: April 8, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »
moneysupermarket is 100%

never heard of the others
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #718 on: April 8, 2012, 05:05:10 pm »
I really, really want this phone. Has anyone ever used moneysupermarket.com or affordablemobiles.co.uk before?

They have much better deals but a bit anxious about this cashback malarky.

300 mins, unlimited texts and 750MB would be perfect for me.

I've used affordable moibles, in fact that's where I picked up my dads S2. That and I think my brothers Nexus Prime. Just another mobile shop really. I never do cashback, a lot of hassle. mobiles.co.uk is another, where I got my phone from. They are part of Carphone Warehouse.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan