Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 554812 times)

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #2760 on: February 24, 2014, 04:18:43 pm »
The only conceivable way for us to fail to finish 4th is if we lose all of Spurs/City/Chelsea at home, and United away.  And if fail to get a point from any of those, then we don't deserve to be 4th.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2761 on: February 24, 2014, 04:18:50 pm »
For me, the game against Chelsea is the key game. At this point, I think we'll be playing it either to mathematically take 3rd at least, or we'll be playing it knowing that a win puts us in serious contention with two games to go.

The key game is Southampton. Exactly the sort of team to exploit our weaknesses. Press high up the pitch, high intensity, quick interchanges in and around the opposition penalty box.
The next three away games will make or break us. I think we'll see one of Coutinho or Sterling drop down the pecking order for the next 2 games.

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2762 on: February 24, 2014, 04:20:03 pm »
It's a pity in a way we have this new goal line technology cos I'd love to see the look on Mourinho's face when Daniel Sturridge (has to be) nicks one just over the line, or was it, the crowd are celebrating?  He must of course then suck his thumb, not dance.
I would just love to see that!!!!
SOS 8040

Offline professorj

• Main Stander
  • OG__ on the old Shanklygates forum...
« Reply #2763 on: February 24, 2014, 04:20:35 pm »
To be fair I seem to remember people saying "how can a team with Djimi Traore, Igor Biscan, Jerzy Dudek etc, who lost to Burnley in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, finished 5th in the own league, go on to beat Leverkusen, Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan.

You're right, but the answers were emphatic: Jamie Carragher, Big Sami, Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Didi Hamann, Rafa Benitez, Luis Garcia. Real team spirit and a crowd at home really unprecedentedly behind the team.
Remember kids: Say no to the Owl...

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #2764 on: February 24, 2014, 04:21:01 pm »
Eh we're 24/1 to fuck up and finish out of the top 4?

Nah we're 1.19 to finish in the top four  or about 5.2 to not finish in the top four.
Man U are 24/1 to win the CL.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2765 on: February 24, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »
Find myself agreeing with some of the points in this article:
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/2569?cc=5739

Especially the point that for the past 4 MOTDs, all the attention has been on our bad defending and every pundit saying that LFC won't win PL titles with such defense. It has an effect of removing pressure on Rodgers and the players of having to answer questions like "Are you title contenders" like other managers are. As long as we remain under the radar, and still win, it is fine by me.

Having such a porous defense means subconsciously, other teams might decide to attack instead of sitting back like they would against a team scoring 1 or 2 at most each game, playing into our hands and being forced to play the game at our tempo instead of theirs.

The rest of the league are looking at us and wondering how the fuck they beat a team that can outscore any opposition in the country at Anfield and also have the audacity to go to Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea and boss them.

I mean think about it. Swansea aren't going to score 3 away from home and lose many games. Fulham are not going to score 2 against quality sides. Arsenal - fucking arsenal - at home, 3 points and 2 positions above us in the league completely throw away their footballing principles for 90 minutes and from the first whistle are SHIT scared of what damage we can do to them. They're 2-0 up and cruising but still terrified. They just about cling on to the victory and dance around as if they've beaten the european champions or something.

Madness, it's all gone absolutely crazy and I fucking love it.

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2766 on: February 24, 2014, 04:22:57 pm »
The only conceivable way for us to fail to finish 4th is if we lose all of Spurs/City/Chelsea at home, and United away.  And if fail to get a point from any of those, then we don't deserve to be 4th.

Agreed.

I think we'll beat Spurs at home. And I am really confident we are going to beat City at home aswell. They haven't been good on the road this season and I think a similar performance to what we gave at the Etihad will get the better of them at Anfield.

Hard to know how the Old Trafford game will go but I guess if there's ever a year to be confident of a victory there, it's this year.

Chelsea is the big worry. Mourinho is the master at tactical triumphs away from home and he might come up with a solution to stop us.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2767 on: February 24, 2014, 04:24:41 pm »
Arsenal - fucking arsenal - at home, 3 points and 2 positions above us in the league completely throw away their footballing principles for 90 minutes and from the first whistle.

100% agree.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2768 on: February 24, 2014, 04:24:59 pm »
You're right, but the answers were emphatic: Jamie Carragher, Big Sami, Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Didi Hamann, Rafa Benitez, Luis Garcia. Real team spirit and a crowd at home really unprecedentedly behind the team.

I agree with you and I don't think it will happen.

But certainly stranger things have happened in football, and a good quarter-final draw and RVP hitting a hot goal streak and suddenly it gets nervy.

Online boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2769 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:10 pm »
To be fair Barca have won a fair bit with a shocking defence. Not a great comparison I know. (got torn apart at w/e mind)

Fuck it. We are gonna win all the next 11 games and win the fucking league. Bollocks to common sense and balanced analysis. Its football.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Lustig

• Kopite
« Reply #2770 on: February 24, 2014, 04:26:20 pm »
Tell u what if before the Tottenham game at home we're 4 points or less to the top then i get this funny feeling Anfield is going to explode.

The atmosphere against Chelsea in the CL semis in 2005 was great but now it will be something ridiculous. That alone will give the players

the courage to go on and do it.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #2771 on: February 24, 2014, 04:27:24 pm »
Just wanted to mention one thing.

Our home game vs. Chelsea, is sandwiched between the CL semi-final legs.

CL semis are Apr 22 and 29. Our game vs. them is on 26th. Will be a massive advantage for us, providing they make it to semis.

Now, I absolutely detest Chelsea football club and everything related to it, but won't be terribly  disappointed if they make it to last 4 of CL this season (and suffer a triple loss in the 3 games that week) ;)

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #2772 on: February 24, 2014, 04:27:51 pm »
To get third would be absolutely amazing. It's not inconceivable either, it would only take one of the three teams above us to go on a bad run, and for us to maintain our 2014 level.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #2773 on: February 24, 2014, 04:28:12 pm »
Agreed.

I think we'll beat Spurs at home. And I am really confident we are going to beat City at home aswell. They haven't been good on the road this season and I think a similar performance to what we gave at the Etihad will get the better of them at Anfield.

Hard to know how the Old Trafford game will go but I guess if there's ever a year to be confident of a victory there, it's this year.

Chelsea is the big worry. Mourinho is the master at tactical triumphs away from home and he might come up with a solution to stop us.

If we're still in the hunt by the time of the Chelsea home game, we'd most likely be a point or two behind Chelsea.

Maureen will do what he knows best n park the bus at Anfield and ask us to come forward n overtake them...n try to nick one on the break...if they're in front, a draw for them wouldn't be a bad result.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2774 on: February 24, 2014, 04:30:25 pm »
Tell u what if before the Tottenham game at home we're 4 points or less to the top then i get this funny feeling Anfield is going to explode.

The atmosphere against Chelsea in the CL semis in 2005 was great but now it will be something ridiculous. That alone will give the players

the courage to go on and do it.

Haha you're spot on. Explode is a word I absolutely love. If we get through these 3 away games and continue with this momentum then Anfield will be bouncing
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2775 on: February 24, 2014, 04:31:51 pm »
By the end of March it should be clear where we are for 4th and who is in for the title. No team has an easy run in and no one is exactly consistent.

Keep winning and keep this is our hands is all we can hope for.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #2776 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »
Looking past the fact that United have Moyes, a shit squad, their 3rd best player cup tied etc. and we had Benitez, there's something else to consider. Our 05 squad may have had a few misfits, but it also had a peak Carragher, a close to peak Alonso and Gerrard, and a player in Luis Garcia who was capable of turning a match with moments of brilliance. United are a squad of young players with potential and formerly top class players who are past their best.

United aren't winning the Champions League.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2777 on: February 24, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »
I don't think they will catch us, but I can see them winning the Champions League and leaving us stranded in fourth. It's no more outlandish than what happened in Istanbul

Yes it is. How many times does it have to be said:

Rafa Benitez joined Liverpool having won 2 La Ligas and the UEFA Cup. He won the European Cup and took us to another final, while regularly putting Mourinho in his place in Europe. Since them he's won more trophies including another UEFA Cup at Chelsea. We finished 2nd in 08/09 in the midst of a financial crisis and ownership turmoil. We regularly made the champions league and did extremely well - we were the top ranked English side in UEFA rankings and teams dreaded playing us. We beat pretty much every top team at one point or another in Rafa's tenure. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Chelsea, Arsenal... All seen off.

And then there's David Moyes who has won....    fuck all...

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:41:20 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline ouestlereferee

• Pourquoi! C'est monsieur Scrutin
  • Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #2778 on: February 24, 2014, 04:40:57 pm »
Chelsea is the big worry. Mourinho is the master at tactical triumphs away from home and he might come up with get away with instructing his team to completely disregard the rules of the game in order to stop us.

Fixed for you.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2779 on: February 24, 2014, 04:44:54 pm »
I don't think they will catch us, but I can see them winning the Champions League and leaving us stranded in fourth. It's no more outlandish than what happened in Istanbul
A snowball in hell has a better chance!

Coincidentally, they have to overcome Olympiakos next...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #2780 on: February 24, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »
Rafa made me believe and now Brendan is too and I can't thank him enough. Roll on May and whatever it may bring
Agreed. After the Hicks and Gillett apocalypse I never dreamt we would come this far, this fast, playing this football.

5th would've been acceptable, good progress and if we were within 4 or 5 points of 4th I would have been happy at this stage. To be allowed to realistically dream of the 2014 title is beyond belief.

YNWA
Indeed.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2781 on: February 24, 2014, 04:54:30 pm »
A snowball in hell has a better chance!

Coincidentally, they have to overcome Olympiakos next...
We'd already knocked them out by now.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2782 on: February 24, 2014, 04:56:34 pm »
We'd already knocked them out by now.
But Yernited haven't. (Yet.)

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2783 on: February 24, 2014, 05:01:36 pm »

And then there's David Moyes who has won....    fuck all...

Same as Di Matteo, then.

Not saying it's going to happen but seriously stranger things have happened in football and a good draw for them in quarters gets us twitching.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #2784 on: February 24, 2014, 05:06:39 pm »
If we're still within touching distance or even closer by the time the Chelsea and City games come around, I think we'll see Anfield rock  even more than the famous European nights under Rafa.

We're going to do this. I can feel it.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2785 on: February 24, 2014, 05:07:38 pm »
As I said in the other thread, I hope Spurs win their next three league games to put us under pressure!

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #2786 on: February 24, 2014, 05:09:17 pm »
Same as Di Matteo, then.

Not saying it's going to happen but seriously stranger things have happened in football and a good draw for them in quarters gets us twitching.

How many times does it need to be said....FOR UNITED THERE IS NO "GOOD DRAW" IN THE QUARTERS...!
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2787 on: February 24, 2014, 05:10:58 pm »
How many times does it need to be said....FOR UNITED THERE IS NO "GOOD DRAW" IN THE QUARTERS...!

Wait, are they in the quarters yet?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2788 on: February 24, 2014, 05:13:02 pm »
To be fair I seem to remember people saying "how can a team with Djimi Traore, Igor Biscan, Jerzy Dudek etc, who lost to Burnley in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, finished 5th in the own league, go on to beat Leverkusen, Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan.
The difference my friend- is that Rafa Benitez has half the knowledge and experience "Moyesie" has, in just one of his bollocks...
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2789 on: February 24, 2014, 05:15:49 pm »
As I said in the other thread, I hope Spurs win their next three league games to put us under pressure!

Naw, might get them too fired up for March 30.

Although I would love them to win 2 of the next 3... seriously damage Chelsea/Arsenal.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2790 on: February 24, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »

About the only thing that would be stranger than Moyes winning the CL this season would be a club fielding a first eleven made up entirely of fish and still managing to get a draw.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2791 on: February 24, 2014, 05:21:07 pm »

Would be better for them to somehow slip up against Cardiff and then go and get results against Chelsea and Arsenal obviously.  ;D

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2792 on: February 24, 2014, 05:21:52 pm »
The difference my friend- is that Rafa Benitez has half the knowledge and experience "Moyesie" has, in just one of his bollocks...

Whereas Moyes merely talks bollocks.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2793 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »
How good would it be to win it and then play United away first game of 14/15 ...cue guard of honour at OT :D

One slight caution .... what are the chances that FSG don't stump up mega money for signings, which we are going to need especially in defence, if we do get in the CL ?

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2794 on: February 24, 2014, 06:12:16 pm »

With a bit of luck, there is no draw for United in the quarters...although perhaps our purposes would be better served by Moyes having a glorious last 8 exit to Barca or someone so they can convince themselves he should be given another season.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2795 on: February 24, 2014, 06:13:21 pm »
How good would it be to win it and then play United away first game of 14/15 ...cue guard of honour at OT :D

One slight caution .... what are the chances that FSG don't stump up mega money for signings, which we are going to need especially in defence, if we do get in the CL ?
I'll worry about that if and when it hasn't happened at the end of August.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #2796 on: February 24, 2014, 06:24:31 pm »

I don't know what you consider to be 'mega money' but if it means us not complying with FFP then they wont stump it up.

Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2797 on: February 24, 2014, 06:26:18 pm »

When exactly were people saying that? Here's what David Maddox said in the Mirror after the final:

Maestro Rafa Shows He's the Boss-phorus

"...Yet if there were blows that some feared could be mortal in the summer [of 2004] then there was one event that at the time went relatively unheralded but was to prove significant beyond measure.

It was of course, the arrival of Rafa Benitez.

If Liverpool have dared to dream this season, then it is their manager who has allowed that to happen. He is the dream-maker. He is the architect of what - no matter which way you look at it - was the miracle of Liverpool arriving in Istanbul as Champions League finalists..."

They may have asked the question but they also knew the answer. A team with Traore, Biscan and Dudek won the Champions League because they had a great manager.

David Moyes may be many things but 'dream maker' and 'architect of miracles' are not on his CV...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2798 on: February 24, 2014, 06:31:59 pm »
Just be our luck we get 4th then United win the Champions League, their bad luck and shite performing has gotta change somewhere, they haven't got anything else to play for either as the league has gone...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2799 on: February 24, 2014, 06:33:41 pm »
Just be our luck we get 4th then United win the Champions League, their bad luck and shite performing has gotta change somewhere, they haven't got anything else to play for either as the league has gone...

Well it's  a good thing they're not winning it then.