Author Topic: "Kaiser" Chief  (Read 13764 times)

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
"Kaiser" Chief
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:00:01 am »
"The Kaiser" tends to be a nickname bandied willy-nilly around England for most German players, especially those who play in a holding position in either midfield or defence.

The literal meaning of the word is "Emperor", and the word was used to describe the man who was the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire of Germany (1871-1918).  The latin equivilent being "Caesar".  The man who was at the helm of it all, the controller of those around him, and the people that moved the country on.

The original footballing Kaiser was Franz Beckenbauer, a man with style and grace who alongside Brazil's Zagallo is only person to win the World Cup as player and manager. But not only was it his success on the pitch, it was the class that oozed from the man as he strolled about the pitch making it look like he was a man amongst boys. Those lucky enough to have seen Beckenbauer will probably class him up there in the top 5 players ever ... that's EVER!

Our very own "Kaiser" is somewhat different to the original. He doesn't possess the flair and elegance that his older compatriot did. Nor does he collect the recognition world wide, or the accolades of the media the world over - but you can bet that the opposition almost hate playing against him as much as his fellow countryman.

Dietmar Hamann came to Liverpool as almost an unknown quantity, and with people wondering why we had spent 8 million quid on a player who we knew very little about. Yes, he had helped Newcastle have a decent season [helping them to an FA Cup final], but picked up an injury and struggled to really settle up there. We'd seen a couple of displays of his long distance shooting and efficient and frustrating defensive work, but he was revered also as a defence-opening player, who could pick a pass from deep. That said and done, we didnt know an awful lot about him, and when Houllier said that the team would be built around this strange looking cat, who looked like his coat-hanger was still in his shady coloured beige blazer, we all wondered what the Frenchman was upto.

Liverpool were in transition, and guilty of leaking goals through a lack of discipline in key areas. Houllier knew that Hamann could sit 5/10 yards deeper that the rest of the midfield, and just tidy up play, preventing too much pressure building up on the centre of defence where previous frailties were noticeable. With his range of passing, and eye for a ball he could control the tempo of the game from this deep lying position, and in turn allow the more creative players around him to blosom.

He slotted into the team like he'd played there all his life. Not grabbing headlines, but not letting anyone down either. He was the quiet man about the pitch just "searching and destroying" and basically getting into players' faces and not letting opposition teams settle into a pattern of play.

Hamann was key to the victories in the treble season and was part of the foundation [including Hyypia and Henchoz] that the whole season was built upon. People called us boring and unfashionable, and we were at times, but we were well organised, efficient and very hard to beat, and in a knock-out game we were outstanding tactically and mentally. All because we knew we had this fulcrum to start play from.

Gerrard has always been one of the first to praise the role Didi plays, and has done so again this week:

"Speaking personally, I've learnt an awful lot from him over the years."

and this is plain to see as the role Didi played, helped Gerrard to develop as an attacking central midfielder. Allowed to pretty much express himself as an when he felt neccesary, but also at the same time, learing to develop the defensive side to his game and when to push on, and when to hold back. Another lesson Gerrard has learned from Didi is that you dont need to go to ground to win a ball back.

Hamann is the master of this art. He rarely slide tackles, in fact he only does so when the player has broken free of his shackles and Hamann knows it's as likely he will foul them, concede a free-kick and take a yellow card for the team, rather than the player bursting on towards the centre backs. Hamann's shielding of the ball is immense, and I think only bettered by Shearer in the league. 90 minutes up, game 1-0, give the ball to Didi and let him hold it in the corner - no fucker is getting that back - guaranteed.

The trademark "Hamann fall" is always in his armoury if the pressure builds up, and he realises he may be in trouble. He shields the ball and then allows the opposition to place the slightest of contact to which he crumples to the ground, thus releaving pressure and at the same time atagonising and winding up the opponent. It's not like he's been shot [in the Robben mould] but more of an experienced cleverness as he uses the genuine contact to his advantage.

Amongst the players he is also one of the most popular, and some of the stories and myths are legendary. My personal favourites being when he was introduced to the team after signing, and he went around shaking their hands wearing a Hitler tash, with the straightest of faces. Another trying to out do himself for every press interview by wearing the shittiest suit combo's seen since John Barnes retired ... no one ever came close. He has been, and will continue to be as important to the team off the pitch as he is on it. His experience coupled with his personality make him a key player for the Reds, and one which we know we can rely on in any given game such as Man Utd on Saturday or when coming on against Milan in the Champions League Final.

Like I say at the top, "The Kaiser" is a term often overused, but in Didi's case he can stand up there with the best of them. A true emporer of his position, and with so many unlike him in the world ... it makes you grateful that this man from Germany, with the crazy half-baked scouse accent, came to play for this football club.

Long may it continue.

"Hail the Kaiser"

© Roper 2006
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:04:28 pm by Rushian »

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
Re: "Kaiser" Chief.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:06:03 am »
Top article Andy, enjoyed reading that.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline hoobastanker

• Kopite
  • Ye dirty halien Ye
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:07:50 am »
Hail the Kaiser indeed.  I think he was one of Houllier's best signings, and the fact that Stevie reckons him Man of the Match on Saturday shows he can still cut the mustard.  His attidude is top class, and i really think the likes of Momo can learn an awful lot from him. 

Great post  :)
Xabi for Ireland

Offline koolkopite

• Main Stander
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 10:09:07 am »
lets get him on another year

Offline SuperSub77

• Kopite
  • Scals aren't what they used to be
    • terrace ultra
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:11:31 am »
I'm made up that he's staying around for a bit longer.
As he gets older and any pace he once had starts to dwindle, his intelligence is shining through.

I wonder if Rafa would ever use him as a centre back if needed? Has it been discussed?

Hail Der Kaiser Didi

Good read that Roper.
"I was a teenage armchair Honved fan"

Offline Luis Garcia scores again

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:13:33 am »
he isn't just a defensive player, he has got a stinging shot on him and I would be encouraging him to crank it up and have a ping any time he gets near the penalty area - as shown against the Arse in setting up Luis's goal.

Offline Dave Davies

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 10:14:03 am »
the kaiser of istanbul
"my makeup is dry and it cracks on my chin, I'm drowning my sorrows in whiskey and gin."

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 10:15:14 am »
All hail the Kaiser indeed.

Great read
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline hoobastanker

• Kopite
  • Ye dirty halien Ye
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 10:16:57 am »
he isn't just a defensive player, he has got a stinging shot on him and I would be encouraging him to crank it up and have a ping any time he gets near the penalty area - as shown against the Arse in setting up Luis's goal.

One in a hundred that though, the other 99 end up in 304 ;)
Xabi for Ireland

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 10:17:07 am »
He has been great since Benitez came, he has shouldered a lot more responsibility when selected and is probably playing better for us than he ever has. Up until Benitez came,  I wasn't a big fan of Didi. Didn't think he contributed at all with ther ball, often playing passes straight back to the full back who has just given it to him, taking hundreds of bad free-kicks. He never really seemed to be first choice to, himself, Murphy, Gerrard, Diao and before that Mcallister all vying for the central positions in midfield. I wouldn't have been fussed had he left a couple of yers ago, and if people are honest, a few would agree with me, I know a few reds who don't rate him even now.
Since Rafa came, Didi has been great, rafa has brough the best out in him (although we were close to selling him in the summer), and at the moment, I would have him first choice in all the big games where his experience and ability to control the tempo and draw fouls is vital.
Am not having him being a 'legend' though!

' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 10:17:30 am »
Good read that Andy :thumbup
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 10:17:55 am »
One in a hundred that though, the other 99 end up in 304 ;)

Last player to score at Wembley

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 10:20:39 am »
great read as always.

the most underated liverpool player of his generation imo

That bit about the hitler tash is priceless

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 10:20:54 am »
Did you not mean, hail the Kaizer ;D
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline byrnetred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are men of Shankly's best...
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 10:21:48 am »
great read man...excellent stuff
pitty he never got the accolades he deserves
top man
...i miss my scouse accent...

Offline hoobastanker

• Kopite
  • Ye dirty halien Ye
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 10:23:12 am »

OK then 2 in a hundred ;)
Xabi for Ireland

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 10:23:28 am »
???

;)

Seriously, a great read, Andy. Didi has been a favourite of mine ever since he came to the club. Believe it or not, I was responsible for his song to the tune of "C'mon, C'mon" (among many other Didi songs, including "Dietmar Hamann after Midnight",  "Stand by Hamann", and "Dietmar Hamann.... Alleluia" (to the tune of it's raining men ;)). The man is a hero, a maestro, a legend.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 10:25:58 am »
I wouldn't have been fussed had he left a couple of yers ago, and if people are honest, a few would agree with me
I can't think of one person I know who would ???
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline soleil rouge

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 10:27:02 am »
To the tune of 'they call him flipper'

His name is Didi, Didi
His tackles are frightening.
No one can be
Harder than  he
His name is Didi, Didi
A man full of wonder
His father a gunner
In World war two

I'll get my coat

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 10:28:23 am »

Hamann is the master of this art....he rarely slide tackles. In fact, he only does so when the player has broke free of his shackles and Hamann knows its as likely he will foul them, conceed a free-kick and take a yellow card for the team, rather than the player bursting onto towards the centre backs. Hamanns sheilding of the ball is immense, and i think only bettered by Shearer in the league. 90 minutes up, game 1-0, give the ball to Didi and let him hold it in the corner - no fucker is gettin that back - guaranteed.

The trademark "Hamann fall" is always in his armourey if the pressure builds up, and he realises he may be in trouble. he shields the ball and then allows the opposition to place the slightest of contact to which he crumbles to the ground. Thus releaving pressure, and at the same time atagonising and winding up the opponent. Its not like he's been shot [in the Robben mould] butmore of a cleverness of experience as he uses the genuine contact to his advantage.

He did both against Utd at the weekend. A scary height of professionalism.  He'll get all the plaudits he deserves if Germany do well in the World Cup this year.
GH learnt a valuable lesson about taking him off in European games too :)

While we wonder how good we'd be with a striker banging in the goals, just think how much Man Utd and Arsenal must be envious that not only do we have Gerrard , but Didi and Momo too.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline soleil rouge

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 10:34:36 am »
The Bob Marley Classic

Its  Hamann,
Its Hamann,
Didi will tackle you
Its Hamann
Its HAmann
Its Hamann
Its Hamann
And we hope you like Hamann too

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 10:38:09 am »
He has been great since Benitez came, he has shouldered a lot more responsibility when selected and is probably playing better for us than he ever has. Up until Benitez came,  I wasn't a big fan of Didi. Didn't think he contributed at all with ther ball, often playing passes straight back to the full back who has just given it to him, taking hundreds of bad free-kicks. He never really seemed to be first choice to, himself, Murphy, Gerrard, Diao and before that Mcallister all vying for the central positions in midfield. I wouldn't have been fussed had he left a couple of yers ago, and if people are honest, a few would agree with me, I know a few reds who don't rate him even now.
Since Rafa came, Didi has been great, rafa has brough the best out in him (although we were close to selling him in the summer), and at the moment, I would have him first choice in all the big games where his experience and ability to control the tempo and draw fouls is vital.

strange post this....i dont think hes been any different since rafa came...always been a consistent,reliable performer...his intelligence and professionalism are second to none...i certainly dont know anyone who wanted him to go or who dont like him now.
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 10:39:07 am »
a Manchester United fan who is a friend said "How did Liverpool play eleven men in the midfield"

Answer Didi Hamman

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 10:41:44 am »
strange post this....i dont think hes been any different since rafa came...always been a consistent,reliable performer...his intelligence and professionalism are second to none...i certainly dont know anyone who wanted him to go or who dont like him now.

Not strange, just not entirely agreeing with the 'everyone loves Didi' sentiment. A couple of years ago, if someone would have put this thread up, the reponses would not have all been positive.

I honestly think he has played his best football since Rafa came.

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 10:42:27 am »
Hamanns sheilding of the ball is immense, and i think only bettered by Shearer in the league. 90 minutes up, game 1-0, give the ball to Didi and let him hold it in the corner - no fucker is gettin that back - guaranteed
I've always loved that part of his game. Hes strong as an ox, and you just don't get the ball of him. Countless times on Sat he just shrugged off the opposition like they were nothing. When hes in the middle, there is a sense of security and calm, and his experience is there for everyone to see.

He's a legend our Didi, great post.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 10:46:09 am »
Not strange, just not entirely agreeing with the 'everyone loves Didi' sentiment. A couple of years ago, if someone would have put this thread up, the reponses would not have all been positive.

I honestly think he has played his best football since Rafa came.

Nonsense, it was when Didi went missing through injury that Ged's team fell apart.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 10:48:33 am »
Nonsense, it was when Didi went missing through injury that Ged's team fell apart.

Is correct and there will be stats somewhere to back that up aswell

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 10:49:21 am »
Is correct and there will be stats somewhere to back that up aswell

Don't need stats if yer've got eyes ;)

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 10:58:20 am »

Didi Hamann not being fit was a reason in Ged's team falling apart? I would say there was other major reasons, the main one being Ged was a shit manager in the last two years.
I don't agree that Didi was a great player while Ged was here, he has been outstanding since Rafa took over. He has certainly changed my opinion of him in that time, so something has changed.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 10:59:05 am »
Don't need stats if yer've got eyes ;)

Does not missing a game count :op

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 11:04:08 am »
Does not missing a game count :op

Not really no. I know people who haven't missed a Chelsea game and they still talk shit.

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2006, 11:05:15 am »
think starting Didi and Sissoko with Xabi off the bench might be a go for a while.

Offline DannyD

• Son Of Millie Tant. General Secretary of the National Union of Ice Cream Miners
  • Legacy Fan
  • 60 Years torment for Palestinians make it the last
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2006, 11:10:05 am »
You could see the influence he had on Momo Saturday, he was not looking to pass the killer ball every time, just easy passes and keep possesion, and when it is open give the killer ball, don't take unnecessary chances with your passing, this is Didi at his best and the reason  Rafa gave him a new contract. His influence on the young mid-field must be massive. I know he is settled in Liverpool and has many friends here, would it be too much to give him a coaching job when he retires or will he go back to Germany?
I lay before you a plan of freedom - adopt it, and you rid the world of inequality, misery, and crime. A martyr in your cause, I am become the prophet of your salvation.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2006, 11:12:10 am »

think starting Didi and Sissoko with Xabi off the bench might be a go for a while.

says a lot about Didi and Sissoko's recent from that that is even a possibility..

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 11:13:30 am »
reckon they actually complement each other more than Xabi.

Not saying Xabi isn't a great player.

Offline DannyD

• Son Of Millie Tant. General Secretary of the National Union of Ice Cream Miners
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2006, 11:15:04 am »

and if democracy works he should have had the new Wembley Bridge named after him
I lay before you a plan of freedom - adopt it, and you rid the world of inequality, misery, and crime. A martyr in your cause, I am become the prophet of your salvation.

Offline DannyD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2006, 11:20:13 am »
reckon they actually complement each other more than Xabi.

Not saying Xabi isn't a great player.

It's another option for Rafa, if we play teams with a strong central mid-field we can more than match them. Alonso has dipped a bit in the last few games but that is acceptable given the standard he set himself.

Rafa is not building just one team he is building teams that can take on anyone and
" dominate" them no matter how they line up.

He has more sides than a Rubik Cube.

Offline DannyD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2006, 11:30:13 am »

Thought he was brilliant in the treble year especially in the UEFA Cup games. It is about his influence on his team.

He is a shrewd cookie and knows when to use his body to either turn a player or force them into a foul, I wouldn't say Didi was a great player, but for us he is very influential. Its about personal choice some can't stand him some love him to bits. The comparison with McAllister is a good one.

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2006, 11:32:55 am »
It's another option for Rafa, if we play teams with a strong central mid-field we can more than match them. Alonso has dipped a bit in the last few games but that is acceptable given the standard he set himself.

Rafa is not building just one team he is building teams that can take on anyone and
" dominate" them no matter how they line up.

He has more sides than a Rubik Cube.

An Octogon

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2006, 11:32:55 am »
I saw The great Kaiser on more than one occasion he was awesome

I always wanted to sneak up behind him and shout ALUN EVANS !!!

;D
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century