Author Topic: What would Shankly have thought?  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
What would Shankly have thought?
« on: July 1, 2004, 01:50:47 am »
I think I got the call about 3 weeks ago, my friend works in the City, right next door to Canada Wharf in fact, and he told me the skinny:

“Chelsea want Gerrard.” He reported. “Can’t see it happening.” I countered.

Laughing at my reply my friend advised me to lay down cash at the bookies on Gerrard leaving. “It will soften the blow” was his ‘compassionate’ sign off.

Unfortunately for me this insider’s dealings could not be taken with a tabloid pinch of salt that one would automatically apply. My friends track record was unparalleled - his greatest coup was being informed that Ruud Gullit was being fired by Chelsea the night before Gullit was told he was to be fired.

Last Thursday night I got an update, “The deals done. He’s on his way.”

“I can’t believe he’d leave.” Was my sombre response. “He really wants to
go?”

“Agents my friend, don’t care what players want.” Informed my in-house associate while addressing my naivety.

Reality bites!

It must have been over 25 years ago now, but in the latter part of the seventies Pele played at Stamford Bridge. He was one of a galaxy of stars performing at the stadium, but it was not in the legendary yellow that had become a moving target for the Portuguese to kick on the only other time he graced our country. No, Pele was decked out in a green and white ensemble that was christened with the legendary badge of the New York Cosmos, the football equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters that had paid its players and Pele millions to become mercenaries in return for their integrity.

Who would have thought that Pele and Gary Lineker would actually have something in common!

I have been an interested reader of the forum postings recently. Not necessarily because I’m a Red but because I’m a documentary maker and over the past three weeks I had thought that if the ‘deal’ had gone through it would have made an interesting film and the perfect reflection of how our game has seriously disintegrated in recent years.

The Pele angle seemed to work well I thought, my opening monologue was already writing itself. I’m not a reader of the papers, I’ve been told by my doctor to steer well clear from hypocrisy, so I was relying on sources when I turned to this forum to get a fans perspective. However, as I started filtering through the various comments and ‘insider exclusives’ my feelings brought more dread than the sense of anger I had initially prepared myself to feel.

Over the past few weeks our emotions have been entirely manipulated and been at the mercy of the press and the pitiful egos of former players and so-called experts whose careers have been left to dwell as semi-illiterate commentators. The result has been a hysteria that have provoked comments that I hope upon reflection will cause many on this site (and others) to consider their words more wisely in the future.

Many, many years ago as a child my heart was nearly broken when I read a newspaper report that claimed the God Dalglish would be joining Chelsea. Yet, my father at the time gave me a piece of advice that has stayed with me to this day; ‘don’t believe what you read in the papers, wee man.’ And how right he was.

In later years I heard that Chelsea’s attention was in fact legitimate but upon hearing how much Dalglish was earning and the giggles from the bootroom, their interest suddenly evaporated.

How times have changed.

My documentary was no longer personal therapy it was beginning to have a bite and a focus. I had the subject, underhand dealings, greed and the prostitution of the national game. And then I remembered our former manager who blamed pressure and politics as the grounds of his recent demise and if anyone had cause to doubt this statement then the scenarios of recent weeks should be conclusive proof.

If Michael Moore was a Red then Peter Kenyon and Harry Harris would be shitting bricks. The posts I'd read had reproduced many comments and headlines from the media and it inflamed me that they still hold such a grip over the game that they are now beginning to drive. Football I concluded was no longer a game, it’s not even a business. It a reality show and we’re the pawns to provoke it.

Its latest contestant up for eviction was Steven Gerrard who ironically had become a victim of his own success and ambition. He was a perfect target for the media to flex its manipulative muscles after the player himself had commented about the current state of his club. Apparently everyone outside of Anfield wanted him to leave. This translates into a systemic campaign by Chelsea to entice the player to their club that used not only the press but also the ‘impartial’ FA.

And it was on show every day, both in the back and front pages. Yet, it was Gerrard who was being castigated for his lack of communication. Not the press or FA who had actually let the situation develop in the midst of a major international competition. Great support guys! Lets really stir it up for a 24-year-old new father supposedly concentrating on paying for his country.

But why? What is the reasoning behind this vindictive streak as my documentary stumbled in midpitch. What had Liverpool and its supporters done to be treated in such a way? Was it our fault that we DIDN’T pickpockets at Hillsborough? All these questions and I didn’t have an answer. But, I reasoned, it’ll be fascinating to find out.

I was looking forward to treating the media with the contempt it deserved. I wanted to get Mark Lawrenson on camera and ask him what the club had done to earn such disrespect. ‘Mark I know its difficult that people will remember Sol Campbell as a great defender before you, but I know the truth, I remember that you were one of half of the greatest centre back paring ever. Jesus H Christ man, you single-handedly retired Kevin Keegan. That’s a God damn epitaph!!

And then it got worse.

The press had managed to achieve the first of its goals and turned Gerrard’s own supporters against him and then it tried to embroil his girlfriend into the proceedings. This to me is disgraceful, and my heart sank, as I knew attitudes would become more personal and vicious and I realised that we may never learn. The masses will still wake up and buy their daily dose of fiction and believe it to be fact. It's taken for granted when it’s actually the first form of attack to instigate a transfer or sacking. For a supposedly intelligent nation our gullibility and moral aptitude is embarrassing.

It not the legitimacy of the story I’m questioning, but the way we interpreted it. It hurts to know that Gerrard contemplated leaving, but here was a player being offered approximately £30 million over the next 5 years to sign for a club whose mission statement is that money can fix anything. For supporters who would actually pay to play in the red, Chelsea’s financial rewards and superficial image were no excuse, but unfortunately reality doesn’t work like that. Celebrity and obscene wages are enticing no matter who you are. Include a posse of players, agents, a spin-doctor masquerading as a chief executive and practically anyone else who can get their rhetoric in print or on television encouraging you to go then it’s only natural that Gerrard would question himself.

It’s true that SG hasn’t escaped the situation without damage, but in retrospect there was little else he could do. Anyone who believes he should have commented earlier should not discount the abuse that Gerrard would have encountered from those who would have questioned his prime focus at the time, the national team. I suspect that Gerrard had no idea how to handle the situation, yet perhaps the question that should be raised is the timing of the past events.

Speculation on Gerrard’s future and his possible transfer should never have occurred at the time it did. The national team were trying to compete in the European Championships, but when certain payers should have been concentrating on the opposition they seemed more concerned in their club's recruitment policy. Yet, where is the criticism from the press, which is supposedly behind Sven’s men? The answer; they unlike Gerrard have no-one to answer to.

My documentary was beginning to take shape but instead of a sense of enthusiasm my feelings had fallen into depression. The game I had loved as a child no longer cared about me and what was worse I was beginning to no longer care about it. My film would not be an expose but a parting shot and a two-finger salute to those who had pissed on my first love and made me hate it.

And then came the press conference.

For some reason my thoughts returned to Pele and the origin of his impotence at the Bridge, where 25 years later the stadium is entertaining the new generation of Harlem Globetrotters. I remembered the embarrassing chorus line of stars known as the NY Cosmos who had ceased to exist after America learned that football was something that couldn’t be bought, but had to be loved.

Sound familiar Fleet Street?

Chelsea’s attention will now turn no doubt to another Liverpool lad who is currently being informed that his career needs a move to fulfil its potential. This time the fixation is only 18 and until 3 weeks ago bled blue if cut.  Now he’s having his head filled with idiotic nonsense and whose teenage girlfriend is already being built up in the knowledge that her breakdown will be far sweeter.

Yet, do our hopes extend to Rooney and that he stays with his boyhood club and develop as both a player and man instead of inflating his ego and bank balance? I hope so, because we need to learn from this tawdry experience, and realise that sometimes as rival supporters our head should rule our heart.

I received an email this afternoon, sent from the financial capital. ‘Well, the running streak had to come to an end some point.’ Was his defence. I won’t disclose the amount that was wagered by my city slicker but I can reveal it reflected the ‘sure thing’ belief that instigated it. I wrote back and offered to buy him a beer, ‘should soften the blow’ I sympathised.

As this long and drawn out nonsense nears its conclusion I begin to think how this article would have read if Gerrard had left. Would I have been as sympathetic or just blazingly pathetic? The majority of my fury would be vented towards the media. Fantasising that I could ‘out’ those responsible, if I were an X-Men that would be my power.

But I suspect I’d have called Gerrard up on his hypocrisy and damned his career with the rest of his soul. When in fact I should have expected nothing more and asked myself what Shankly would have thought of my online hatred towards a Liverpool captain. It was then that I realised how special Liverpool Football Club really is and that the respect of a former manager who left us over 20 years ago still affects me.

When I heard that Gerrard was staying, the realisation of a great documentary being systematically erased never entered my thought process. There was a sense of relief and more importantly a sense of hope. Not because it will heighten our chances of success, but because in an era where the game is being held to ransom and treating those who adore it with disgust Gerrard has proved that not everyone can be bought. Red blood it seems does run thicker than Thames water.

And perhaps at the end of a glittering Liverpool career that will be Steven Gerrard’s greatest achievement.

© Stewart Jamieson 2004
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What would Shankly have thought?
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2004, 02:01:26 am »
A truely superb article, nice one.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline AndyJ

• If it wasn't for RAWK I'd jack in work
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2004, 09:13:32 am »
Nice one, great article. Alot of people should read that and take notice.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2004, 09:40:50 am »
Stewart, you post as Strangelove ? ( I think ) - I ve seen you discuss the documentary elsewhere...

Very interesting post and I agree with many of your sentiments.

I'd written a piece on how I couldn't understand Gerrard leaving, not through the sentiment us reds are all famed for, nor logic (he'd have less influence, less chance to run a game, he'd be Lampards' water carrier etc) and I just couldn't really think he would leave, though I'd accepted he was going too. But my anger at a 'betraya;' that seemed to be on the cards was real. I really didn't think he would, but I was furious that he was. If that makes sense.

I think Shankly's response would have been the same as many of us, that private anger (or not so private in the age of the forum) and public sadness at the 'dark side' taking one of the good guys. Money over love.

But just as professional footballers earn hard currency, we pay in emotional currency and I feel a backlash would've been inevitable if Stevie had left. Some footballers still have emotional currency, or recognise it, some don't. Lawro seems to have spent his on a new reversing opinion machine. See how he changes his mind in a flash...! Hansen wrote he should go, Gerrard recognised it over the weekend and stayed.

And that emotional currency is what makes us revere Shankly so much - a man who knew who to talk the talk we wanted to hear. I don't doubt he believed it for a minute, but Shankly never moved club. Nor my personal hero, Paisley, the greatest manager ever.

If they had, what would we have made of that ? Part of the reason the anger appeared over Stevie when it became apparent that he was  thinking of leaving was that we had bestowed on him the same kindof 'Redness' that Shankly had. We felt foolish and conned by his desire to move, whether for trophies or money. The hard professionals said 'it's a good thing for him, to move on' but none of us would or could believe he would possibly want to go... Because of the sentiment that we are always accused of having in bucketloads by everyone else. But when he didn't leave, sentiment proved right tastes a lot sweeter than a wrong realist.

Shankly operated in a professional game, not always in a professional way. He was and is just like every other manager. He was as desperate for a win as Ferguson is, as Mourihno is, as Wenger is. But the fans knew he loved, truly loved his club.

I remember at how hurt I was at Keegan's leaving, I never wondered then, but did over the weekend, what Paisley would've done...

It's not what Shankly would have made of it now though that's the real question but what signal it sends out to other top players - time to open up the heart not the purse perhaps. One can only hope so. Except for Igor.
Yep.

Offline fREDdie

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2004, 10:56:39 am »
QUALITY READ

Jaster

« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2004, 12:53:30 pm »
Brilliant. Damn, I have only just discovered this website and already I´m reading the best articles concerning LFC I have ever read! Time to start going through your archives...

Bar

« Reply #6 on: July 2, 2004, 01:41:43 pm »
Jesus H Christ man, you've hit the nail on the head. I'm an Irish LFC supporter and I don't want this to come across as anti-English or anything like that but I've been of the belief for a few years now that the English press are a discrace to your country when it comes to sports and celebrities.
Wayne Rooney is no doubt a special player but he has been elevated to such a high pedistal by the English press (Mainly Tabloids) that there's only one way to go - down - and it's a long way.This is typical of how the best of what England has to offer the world is treated by your own press.
Gerrard has reached a point where you can truely say that he is (or can be) possibly the best midfielder in the world bar none. Becks is the biggest celebrity is world football and is also a fine player - possibly England's most influential of recent years. David Seamen will go down in your history books as one of your best ever 'keepers yet they've all come in for a torrid time from the English press.
It's not Seamen's fault England were knocked out of the World Cup, nor is it Beck's fault that England are out of the Euro Champioship. Remember, it's a team sport and while individual performances can turn a game, the responsibility lies with the whole squad, not a scape goat.
I read in the papers that Becks "is a bottler" - wouldn't you be? he has absolutely no private life.The English press were the most enthusiastic bunch that seemed hell-bend on destroying his marrage because they all wanted the story first so they could sell more copies. It frustrates me to see Rooney and Pele in the same sentance at such an early stage in the kid's career. I was shocked to see how the English squad went  to the European championship in search of glory and collapsed under the strain of the media pressure from your fellow countrymen. Shame on thise hacks.
Ireland failed to qualify but I think we could have reached the same stage as England if not gone further. That's speculation but if you look at the attention and 'blame' placed on Beckham's miss against France and factor that into the miss in the peno shootout you can see why the pressure would increase on the whole squad for the remaining peno's.
Without straying to far from LFC matters, the transfer speculation surrounding english players will ruin many of them before they get a chance to learn to cope with the media. Steven Gerrard should be commended for his nerves of steel. Can you imagine what it's like to be told of all the trappings on being the higest paid player in the premierships new glitterball footbal club? And all that other tripe and verbal dioheria that agents and middlemen are feeding to him. Factor in that he was playing in the Euro Championchip for his country and the media won't stop askin him the same bloody question every five minutes.
English players will always find it hard to perform at their best for extended periods for both club and country while the media are allowed pester them when ever sales of their morning edition slows down.
Shankly wouldn't have been able to do much about the media but I dare say he might have placed some kind of ban on his players speaking to all but approved reporters. Once the players leave the training complex, they should be allowed to go home and relax and unwind with their families.
Ask yourself why would you want to play for your country or the club you've supported all your life? Idealistically, you'd say that it's about pride in who you are and in your beliefs & heritage etc. There's Medals & glory not to mention the money involved. You pull on your shirt with pride and bust your guts to achieve your team's common goal - to win. If you don't win, collectively the team picks each other up and tries even harder next time. There's no shame in loosing gratiously. Every team can't be the best team. And when you DO win, the team & supporters share that glory and celebrate.
Now ask yourself what it's really like to play for your club or for England? You know what you dreamt of but you get a different package all together. You'll be hounded by the press. They'll suggest that there's transferes and extra marital affairs. If you have a bad game, you're a villian and it's all your fault. You'll have no private life. The bigger the hero they make you out to be, the harder they'll smack you across the face if you're unfortunately enough to miss a peno or let in an outragous goal. It's all forgotten how you contributed to the team qualifying in the first place with free kicks or heroic saves.
Steven Gerrard stood up to all of this and I admire him for his mental strength for this decision alone. Shankly would have been proud although he wouldn't have stood there at a press conference and announced it to the world. That kind of hunger for success at LFC will bring him his just deserves. His attitude and the commitment he has shown to LFC should spread in the dressing room.
In short, I say, support your team and your country and fuck your tabloid media hacks who are destroying your chances of success!

Kevin Nacey

« Reply #7 on: July 2, 2004, 02:08:04 pm »
A magnificent piece. Well done.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #8 on: July 2, 2004, 04:12:29 pm »
Excellent read!
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.