Author Topic: TV Licence Fee  (Read 23973 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: TV Licence Fee
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2017, 07:08:30 pm »
You need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

- watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
- download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand

This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one?&WT.mc_id=mec_Search_Brand

That wasn't my point - if he's watching live coverage of LIverpool games he must have Sky or BT Sports which costs £20-30 a month but he can't afford TV licence.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:10:16 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2017, 02:50:31 pm »
Watching TV isn't having your mind controlled. Unless you're very impressionable.

Maybe I was being a bit harsh. How about brainwashing ?

Let's be honest aswell. People are impressionable. If I ever go the pub I notice people just repeating  what the TV or Media wants them to repeat.

Ir's a fucking doddle mate !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2017, 02:58:51 pm »
I find plenty to enjoy on the BBC and at least the news content isn't headlined by shite like "Enemies of the People" or "Jordan's drawers fall down".

Well worth the licence fee.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2017, 03:16:55 pm »
Maybe I was being a bit harsh. How about brainwashing ?

Let's be honest aswell. People are impressionable. If I ever go the pub I notice people just repeating  what the TV or Media wants them to repeat.

Ir's a fucking doddle mate !

In the context of this thread the BBC is one of the most balanced and broad sources of information you could find. If anything they are sometimes too balanced on things like homeopathy and climate change where they sometimes give equal time to each side despite the huge imbalance in evidence.

I've spent a lot of time responding to impressionable people who believe all kinds of nonsense from the 9/11 truthers, chemtrails believers, moon landing deniers and despicable arseholes like the Sandy Hook false-flag merchants.

People are impressionable - it's about the integrity of the source. And I'd take the BBC every day over Alex Jones and InfoWars.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2017, 03:39:03 pm »
In the context of this thread the BBC is one of the most balanced and broad sources of information you could find. If anything they are sometimes too balanced on things like homeopathy and climate change where they sometimes give equal time to each side despite the huge imbalance in evidence.

I've spent a lot of time responding to impressionable people who believe all kinds of nonsense from the 9/11 truthers, chemtrails believers, moon landing deniers and despicable arseholes like the Sandy Hook false-flag merchants.

People are impressionable - it's about the integrity of the source. And I'd take the BBC every day over Alex Jones and InfoWars.

Why bring Alex Jones into it ?

Please don't tell me you think I get my opinions from him do you ?   For the record I think he is a twat and a fucking con artist too. If the false flag comment is aimed at me ( which I dont think it is ) then Iam not one of them either.

My thoughts on the BBC.

They are twats too. So there ya' go !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2017, 03:41:32 pm »
Regarding Alex Jones.

He is angry.

What's rule number one kiddies ?

Don't listen to an angry man !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2017, 04:00:28 pm »
That wasn't my point - if he's watching live coverage of LIverpool games he must have Sky or BT Sports which costs £20-30 a month but he can't afford TV licence.
Bollox alan. Technically, watch a stream and you have to have a licence.

Murdoch does not get what little money i have.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2017, 04:53:46 pm »
I could well be wrong on this Alan, but I thought you needed a licence to watch or listen to any live broadcast.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2017, 09:21:38 pm »
I could well be wrong on this Alan, but I thought you needed a licence to watch or listen to any live broadcast.
Is correct.

Even if it's watched on a PC!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2017, 09:27:03 am »

Yes thats right

Is correct.

Even if it's watched on a PC!

The law was amended to cover all kinds of devices that can receive telly programmes. Its not as daft as it seems, as you can get monitors as big as tellys now.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2017, 11:43:58 am »

You buy a TV licence so you can watch illegal streams? What else can you legally stream lfc without sky/by?
Wouldn't be my first thought.

Not judging on source of streams btw. But seems mad to get a licence to stream from a dodgy source.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2017, 02:25:22 pm »
You buy a TV licence so you can watch illegal streams? What else can you legally stream lfc without sky/by?
Wouldn't be my first thought.

Not judging on source of streams btw. But seems mad to get a licence to stream from a dodgy source.
I can neither confirm nor deny the gentleman's statement [emoji6]

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2017, 03:21:37 pm »
I dont have a tv so fuck em :)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: April 23, 2017, 07:10:29 pm »

'Technically?...' Sorry - you're watching Liverpool on a free (illegal) stream and worrying about the licence fee?

Seriously mat, if you honestly can't afford £140 for the licence fee I feel for you, but don't use watching Liverpool on a stream as justification.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2017, 07:12:21 pm »

That was my point - do you really worry about having a TV Licence if you're streaming illegally?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2017, 12:39:09 am »
'Technically?...' Sorry - you're watching Liverpool on a free (illegal) stream and worrying about the licence fee?

Seriously mat, if you honestly can't afford £140 for the licence fee I feel for you, but don't use watching Liverpool on a stream as justification.

Tut tut Alan.

Why did you bring money into it ?

You've just said that you feel for someone if they can't afford something that you choose to pay for.

Possibly the most honest question you have faced for a bit.

Om Namah Shivaya .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:43:21 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: April 24, 2017, 12:25:54 pm »
The licence fee is worth it alone just to avoid those have you planned your funeral/young father had died leaving his kids/did you fall cos your a soft c*nt, where there's blame there's a claim/ppi or bank account mis selling adverts on the other channels
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 24, 2017, 12:47:55 pm »
The licence fee is worth it alone just to avoid those have you planned your funeral/young father had died leaving his kids/did you fall cos your a soft c*nt, where there's blame there's a claim/ppi or bank account mis selling adverts on the other channels

If you didn't pay your licence fee, you wouldn't legally be able to watch those other channels......

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: April 24, 2017, 12:50:58 pm »
Tut tut Alan.

Why did you bring money into it ?

You've just said that you feel for someone if they can't afford something that you choose to pay for.

Possibly the most honest question you have faced for a bit.

Om Namah Shivaya .

It's about the licence fee Paul. At the moment money is the only way to pay it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: April 24, 2017, 01:11:45 pm »
That was my point - do you really worry about having a TV Licence if you're streaming illegally?
I'm going to have to take the 5th on this one Alan :D

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2017, 01:19:29 pm »

If you can take the 5th, you don't need a TV licence.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »
I dont have a tv so fuck em :)

Not about whether you have a TV. If you watch any live broadcast in the UK (or use iplayer) you need a license. Doesn't matter what device you use. 

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2017, 04:30:59 pm »
The biggest joke about the TV license fee is that they penalise people on lower incomes who can't afford to pay yearly or quarterly.

If you pay monthly - you have to pay for the entire year in 6 months but then immediately start paying monthly - meaning you are constantly 6 months in credit.

I've yet to see how they can legally justify this?
cyas

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2017, 04:51:08 pm »
The biggest joke about the TV license fee is that they penalise people on lower incomes who can't afford to pay yearly or quarterly.

If you pay monthly - you have to pay for the entire year in 6 months but then immediately start paying monthly - meaning you are constantly 6 months in credit.

I've yet to see how they can legally justify this?

I dont, I pay £12 per month direct debit. And never paid 6 up front unless its changed recently

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2017, 05:49:34 pm »
You would have had to pay 24 for the first 6 months though
cyas

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2017, 10:43:11 pm »
I get to choose whether to pay Murdoch or not.

I don't get to choose whether to have a licence. I'm pro-choice, me. I'd rather be able to choose.

And yes, its a fuckload of money for something you don't want when you're on a low grade cheapo  zero hours contract like me.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #266 on: April 24, 2017, 11:17:06 pm »

So that's where he disappeared to?

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2017, 07:26:37 am »
Regarding Alex Jones.

He is angry.

What's rule number one kiddies ?

Don't listen to an angry man !

Not only that, he suffers from mental illness. Has to.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline JaimeREDnapz

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2017, 01:20:52 pm »
I haven't paid the licence for about 4 years.

I just returned the letter saying I didn't have a TV.

Never had another letter or any come to the door etc.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2017, 04:08:41 pm »
I haven't paid the licence for about 4 years.

I just returned the letter saying I didn't have a TV.

Never had another letter or any come to the door etc.

Iam the opposite. Havent had a TV since.... ??? Fuck knows . Over ten years and just ignore them. They did knock once and said ' we told you we would come ' My response was ' Iam still telling you to fuck off ' and closed the door.

Not very mature I know but still gives me the giggles to this day.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2017, 10:15:26 am »
Iam the opposite. Havent had a TV since.... ??? Fuck knows . Over ten years and just ignore them. They did knock once and said ' we told you we would come ' My response was ' Iam still telling you to fuck off ' and closed the door.

Not very mature I know but still gives me the giggles to this day.
How the fuck do you not have a TV? I'd literally go fucking crackers if I didn't have a telly! :o

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2017, 10:56:34 am »
How the fuck do you not have a TV? I'd literally go fucking crackers if I didn't have a telly! :o

Simple, dont buy one. I dont and its great.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2017, 12:57:08 pm »
Simple, dont buy one. I dont and its great.

I lived on my own for a year and didn't have a telly. Found I listened to a lot more music and read a lot more. I'd watch the odd thing when I nipped in to my Mums, but didn't miss it.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2017, 11:39:13 pm »

It's easy.

Think it was in 2006 my portable was always in my kitchen cupboard but would come out for a live match or something then back in it would go. I completely got sucked in during the 2006 World Cup and what I noticed was how violent and mad my dreams became. There is a connection.

TV is a drug. Too much of it will rot your fucking brain. It's programming but you can't see it.

In the words of Zappa it's the tool of the Governement and the industries to and it's here to regulate you.

Over the years I've taught myself the guitar , the Indian harmonium , had a go at various bamboo flutes , the tin whistle and read countless books. I've put a lot of my creative energies into my home too . Meaning Ive collected a lot of drift wood from Crosby ( etc ) and and turned them into little pieces of art , shelves or coat racks .. etc . I tend to travel a lot to and now my buisness takes me abroad. I practice Yoga to and play devotional music on my instruments which actually created my little buisness.

Iam sure Ive missed out stuff like just sitting therevand thinking .. putting the world right in my own head . Finding solutions to personal problems my sitting their and just.... being .

Up to you mate but letting go of that square thing in your living room that tells you how to feel and think... fuck .. it even tells you what to buy .. may not be such a bad thing you know.

Each to their own though !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #274 on: April 27, 2017, 10:06:18 am »
That's a bit all or nothing, kesey. Good TV can be just as edifying and spiritually enlightening as a good book, good music, etc. I mean, fuck, almost all of what I watch are music programmes, adaptions of literature, natural history documentaries, and so on. BBC 4 is not equivalent to Sky Sports.

If someone is so impressionable, they'll be negatively affected by the things they hear people say when just walking about, nevermind what the box blares out. It's the same with all media - the books you invest so much in as an alternative to watching any tele could themselves be a crock of shit (not saying they are, but you get my point).

At the end of the day, you treat any information with reasonable caution, no matter which source it spews from. You're on the internet right now!! It's as much a hive of villainy and disinfo as it is a beacon of freedom and vast repository of knowledge. Like television on steroids.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: April 27, 2017, 11:25:54 am »
TV is a drug. Too much of it will rot your fucking brain. It's programming but you can't see it.

In the words of Zappa it's the tool of the Government and the industries to and it's here to regulate you.
Ha ha in the words of me, bollocks ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm massively selective in what I watch, I don't sit there watching Corrie like TWD. If Mr Robot is programming me then it's probably a good thing!

(Haemoglobin puts forward a far more cogent argument ::))

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: April 27, 2017, 04:23:33 pm »
That's a bit all or nothing, kesey. Good TV can be just as edifying and spiritually enlightening as a good book, good music, etc. I mean, fuck, almost all of what I watch are music programmes, adaptions of literature, natural history documentaries, and so on. BBC 4 is not equivalent to Sky Sports.

If someone is so impressionable, they'll be negatively affected by the things they hear people say when just walking about, nevermind what the box blares out. It's the same with all media - the books you invest so much in as an alternative to watching any tele could themselves be a crock of shit (not saying they are, but you get my point).

At the end of the day, you treat any information with reasonable caution, no matter which source it spews from. You're on the internet right now!! It's as much a hive of villainy and disinfo as it is a beacon of freedom and vast repository of knowledge. Like television on steroids.

I agree a bit but by now you must now Iam an all or nothing kind of guy.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #277 on: April 27, 2017, 04:42:21 pm »
I agree a bit but by now you must now Iam an all or nothing kind of guy.
Hey, as long as it works for you, man!  :D

It's a healthy way to live in fairness, to know your happiness does not depend upon all these gadgets and new-fangled shit. For me it's less about having your thoughts controlled, and more about always letting others create stuff for you; taking the role as a passive recipient of entertainment, rather than ever being the provider of your own entertainment in life. A consumer in every sense, not just in economics terms.

That's why I try to find my own balance with music, writing, drawing, letting my mind drift in meditation, and various other forms of embracing the creative process, even if it's all just for the sake of creating and I never show anyone. But also, I have to deeply appreciate the creations of others in order to grow as a creator myself! So you can never knock a good bit of art and/or education, whatever media it's filtered through.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2017, 05:28:42 pm »
Hey, as long as it works for you, man!  :D

It's a healthy way to live in fairness, to know your happiness does not depend upon all these gadgets and new-fangled shit. For me it's less about having your thoughts controlled, and more about always letting others create stuff for you; taking the role as a passive recipient of entertainment, rather than ever being the provider of your own entertainment in life. A consumer in every sense, not just in economics terms.

That's why I try to find my own balance with music, writing, drawing, letting my mind drift in meditation, and various other forms of embracing the creative process, even if it's all just for the sake of creating and I never show anyone. But also, I have to deeply appreciate the creations of others in order to grow as a creator myself! So you can never knock a good bit of art and/or education, whatever media it's filtered through.

I must admit when Ive a hangover or Iam feeling ill I do miss watching documentries on Mummy panda and baby panda. I include Polar bears in this too.

:D

What does sadden me though is seeing children glued to the TV and getting every ounce of creativity sucked out of them. Also what saddens me is watching grown adults getting angry watching the news or something.

Iam currently in Bristol and will be in Dorset for a few days . I then ferry to Cherbourg then will somehow manage to get to Bordeaux by Friday as Iam playing there. I then hold my own retreat with my good friend then travel againto Pyrennes then the French Alps doing my thing. I have my camping gear , guitar , Indian harmonium abd a Tibetan singing bowl.

I do have a word with myself sometimes  ;D. What the fuck are ya doing soft lad  ;D but give me this over TV any day.

:wave

Each to their own though .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: April 28, 2017, 11:44:02 am »
As is always pointed out, both the left and right complain that the BBC shows bias to their opponents...they're doing something right if that's the norm.
http://newsthump.com/2016/05/12/bbc-actually-biased-against-everyone-confirms-bbc/
BBC actually biased against everyone, confirms BBC
May 12, 2016
Written by Davywavy
The BBC has responded to the latest claims of bias by confirming that it actually can’t stand anyone.

The Corporation has been under fire in recent days from all sides of the political spectrum, amidst claims that the failure to run programmes with titles like “Nigel Frottage – a god amongst men” and “Why Jeremy Corbyn is right about everything” proves they are editorially biased.

Speaking to assembled representatives of the nation’s political opinions, Director General Tony Hall said, “Fuck you.

“If we’re interviewing someone right wing, our non-partisan editorial policy is ‘Fuck you, you self-serving pigfucker’.

“Whereas if we’re interviewing someone left wing, we try to maintain a strictly neutral position of ‘Fuck you, you economically illiterate sack of shit’.

“And with centrists, we tend to stick with ‘Pick a side before you impale yourself on the fence you cowardly twat’.

“If you had to spend as much time in the studio with these people as we do, you’d hate them all equally as well.”

Warming to his theme, Lord Hall confirmed that Respect, Plaid Cymru, the SNP, Ulster Unionists, Sinn Feinn, the Greens and anyone else he’d forgotten to mention could also take a running jump.

However, the statement has not been sufficient to silence more determined critics, with some already claiming that the Director General sounded ‘more sneery’ when he was referring to their side, and others already flat-out denying that he mentioned their opponents at all, irrespective of all the evidence.

A popular satirical website which asked not to be identified issued a statement in support of the BBC.

“We know what it’s like,” said editor Simon Williams.

“You should see our comments threads when we take the piss out of a politician. Jesus.”