Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1009809 times)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alcohol Issues
« Reply #80 on: October 8, 2009, 10:05:59 pm »
Congratulation on the first few steps, mate. Keep us informed of how you're getting on. Best of luck.

Offline AndrewFitz22

• easily outfoxed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 8, 2009, 10:09:05 pm »
Hope things pick up for ya lad. You've mad the best decision by admitting it.

Keep us up to date with your progress.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #82 on: October 9, 2009, 03:44:53 pm »
I wish you all the luck in the world mate, "Give yourself the chance to be a hero"
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: October 9, 2009, 11:32:57 pm »
Good luck with this mate.  I've known quite a few to die of the drink.

As an 11 year old watched my uncle coming off it following the breakdown of his marriage and loss of his job.  He was a mess sitting in his own vomit and shit while holding onto a bottle of whisky.  He'd his sisters (one of which was my mum), his brothers, his mum and dad in the room and all shame had left him.

He didn't give a toss, the next drink was all that mattered. 

That was the beginning of the fight to escape it.  He went through hell for about a week.  Had visions of being attacked by giant fuckin insects and shit, while asleep and semi awake.  Think of trainspotting and times it by three.

However the 'battle' lasted for about a year.  He'd go 'on the wagon' for a few months and secretly (he told us way afterwards) plan for a binge.  He would spend a fortune on bottles of heavy spirits and fags, and lock himself in the attic for a couple of weeks.  Food was a no go.

Nightmare it was.  At the time his two daughters were 13 and 14.  Unsurprisingly they've never drank in their lives.  They're now 31 and 32.

He's now been sober for 15 years.  He escaped just before the death.

Dunno if you've read them but Alan Carr's books are good re 'addictiion'.  He obviously concentrates on the fags but touches on all drugs.  I smoked about 20 a day for 20yrs and stopped with reading his book.  May as well try it with whatever else you're using to help you.

Good luck.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2009, 07:50:00 am »
im not to that stage and i wont be. havent slept properly since i cut me drinking. sweating like a pig in bed even tho i live up in the mountains with ice on me bike in the morn and the bedroom window open. bastard headache everyday too. not really fancied a drink. had 2 after work thurs but that was a hard day 12hrs and 4 tonnes of shovelling cement etc. but was just 2. normally it would have been loads more. pints of lemonade im on now. cheap too as the landlord either refuses to charge me or if i complain he says 50p. saving me a fortune. woo hoo more fuel for my bike.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2009, 08:07:22 am »
Just stick with it mate, small steps.  Just keep everything in perspective, its your health thats your no.1 concern, the money you save is just a bonus!  Not sure if it will help but if you could (obviously gym money aside) put the money you save from not drinking away and start to save for summit, maybe a holiday or a short break.  With having somewhere else for your money to go it will be another thing to keep your mind off it.  Might sound stupid, but if u can, take up squash at your gym lol.  Does wonders for me for taking out aggression etc!  Hit the ball as hard as u like and it keeps coming back for more!

Offline cj

• didn't get where he is today without becoming a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2009, 02:54:36 pm »
I drink a bit much myself every now and then. The rate you're currently at you will not last longer than a few more months though, then it will be over.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2009, 09:17:26 pm »
I drink a bit much myself every now and then. The rate you're currently at you will not last longer than a few more months though, then it will be over.

only if i carry on the way i was.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2009, 12:00:36 am »
To admit to something as big as that on here  is i think is the best thing you could of done. A lot on here are piss takers , but  for once there have been some really good and sincere advice given. I wish you the world of luck, and strength in your attempt to kick the habit.Take one  day at a time..AA are the best people to help, but if you do it on your own terms , you can and will feel much more achievement from your own effort. Good luck 
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2009, 12:40:53 am »
Only just spotted this thread.

First of all may I echo what most people have said that the fact that you recognise that you have a problem is big of you..

i do drink during the day. ill have export in the pub then cheap shit cider at home. 5.28 pints of it to be precise. thing is i dont actually get pissed, merry maybe but thats it. also if im drinking i wont eat. I cant go to the docs cos the local authority nut house has access to all my medical records. one wiff of this and im fooked.
I've highlighted the bit about not eating because my Missus is a nurse, and she's been working on a ward that deals with people who have drink related problems.
Cut a long story short, she came home a couple days ago, really upset and told me that a young lad of 29 died in front of her.
One of her colleagues told her that he hadn't eaten properly for months and once that happens and you still drink to excess, it becomes a death sentence.

Good luck mate and I hope your life takes a turn for the better...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:43:18 am by Terry De Niro »

Offline AndrewFitz22

• easily outfoxed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2009, 05:10:06 am »
There is a family friend who went from drinking everyday in the last few years to drinking nothing but fizzy drinks down the pub. He was in hospital two years ago to have stints put in his heart, but was right back on the tear after he got out. He pretty much spent two years, drinking and smoking far beyond excess and also eating fuck all, maybe a pork chop in the evening, but that would be it, no veg or spuds. He then during the summer was back in hospital for more heart surgery. He got out and went back to his wicked ways of drinking 20 pints a day, along with 60 cigs, until he started throwing up blood in the pub, because he had severe internal bleeding. Somehow he copped on, he got outta hospital and the last time he had a drink was before his last stint in hospital.

For you to go down the pub and to have only 2 pints is something I find amazing! You are on the right path! And busta luck again with it.

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2009, 04:39:53 pm »
Replacing the problem with a more wholesome activity is often a good idea. A lad in my work (white English lad) recently gave up drinking and the beak and found religion instead. He now wears one of them skull cap / head pieces. How about getting a bike and doing some cycling? Also do you smoke weed? I used to find that if I had a smoke it would decrease my appetite to have a drink. Maybe worth considering? I've changed my drinking pattern the last few months. I have set days for it now as opposed to drinking whenever I felt like. I've been confining most of my weekly drinking to a Friday night after work and viewing it as a kind of "reward" for 5 days hard graft in the office. I've been enjoying it more this way and I even find myself sat there in work on a Wednesday afternoon looking forward in anticipation to Friday night whereas under my previous regime I wouldn't even look forward to it on the same day. It's not without it's pit falls though because this Friday I downed 16 cans of Becks, whereas previously I probably wouldn't have gone over 10-12 cans, although this was over the course of 11 hours and I did have several breaks for Lucozade, coffee and water in between. Btw you should still try eating something when you drink aswell as you're only doing further damage to yourself going without food, plus food will also soak up the ale of course.
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2009, 05:07:09 pm »
I actually recommend starting martial arts. Not only is it great for fitness, but will give you the ability to defend yourself if need be, and will help give you focus and more energy. There are so many different types of Martial Arts, I am sure you can find one that interests you.

Best thing I can recommend to you when going to the gym is, to set yourself a goal. You could train perhaps for a charity event or such, which would not only be beneficial for yourself, but for the cause that you are trying to raise money/awareness for. With such a goal in mind, you are more likely to succeed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:13:01 pm by Baraka »
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2009, 07:20:03 pm »
Best of luck with it all mate!!
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:17 pm »
i used to be a black belt at taekwondo years ago. i dont do drugs. i dont smoke. seems that booze is more lethal that ppl give it credit forl. i have work tomorro but tues im off to the gym. i had to re arrange my app. and Maggie May, pm me your email and ill send u that pic.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2009, 08:25:10 pm »
Well in mate.  I admire your pluck.  I bevvy far too much myself, but only 2 or 3 times a month... although I have a few units most days.

Since I'm near 50 now, and not hooked it doesn't bother me too much.  But for someone like yourself, its really important not to get too dependent.  You're making all the right noises mate, stick at it.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »
seems that booze is more lethal that ppl give it credit forl

It's a fucker. You appear to be doing well though.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2009, 05:41:26 pm »
Well done mate, keep it up.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline EveryOtherSaturday

• Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2009, 08:03:36 pm »
That is a massive amount each day mate, sorry to say it.
I drink a lot myself, not every day but mainly binging, i'm only 19 but the ale is having a detremental effect on my life. I started drinking at about 14 8 cans every friday with me mates then carried on that way until at 15 and16 i was starting to get into pubs and going out, ( because of my height and that) then drinking at the match etc.
At this point i was playing footy 3 times a week and always on the move and was not fat at all.
At 17/18 i could easily put away 20 pints or drinks in a session but not drinking in the week at all (unless at the match).
The last year carried on in the same way and starting to notice it now i've put on about 4/5 stone and it is purely down to drink, i hardly eat, at one stage i was drinking in the week, just a few cans like and then at the weekends and at the match.
The last 3-6 months i have banned alcohol in the house so don't drink midweek and have 1/2 binges a week but have managed to not drink as much, however I don't think cutting down is any way to stop, you have just got to completely abstain in my opinion, after a certain level of alocoholism you can't just have 2 pints and stop.

My dad was a promising footballer, played for Everton, Wigan, Wrexham and abroad until his late 20's but was a heavy drinker and this ruined his career and was ousted out of the Everton side at 17/18 despite scoring in every round of the F.A Youth Cup and winning it, by Joe Royle because of alcohol, he now has alzheimers at the age of 63 and the main reason behind it could well be the drink, as well as knocks to the head. He hasn't drank for 25 years now without any relapses after his dad's last words to him was an argument over him coming in bladdered, the next day he had a heart attack and died. He still attends and has done for 25 years AA meeting and really found them to be a great tool in staying off it.

Obviously I know to an extent what you are going through and at times could see myself going worse but i reckon i'll calm down soon and i still see it as just having a laugh and that.

You need to find a past time, get yourself to the AA, and don;t think that you can just cut down, if you're drinking 10 pints a day you are most definitely an alcoholic, i know it's harsh but there's no cutting down mate.
P.M me and I could probably get you some info on AA meeting in and around Liverpool and me dad's mate and him still go reguarly.

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2009, 08:50:59 pm »
Good luck HF. I used to have some very serious drink problems, but have managed to leave them behind a few years ago. All I can say is stay strong, and that once the worst of it is over you will feel so much better, physically and mentally, to be rid of your problems.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline berrno3333

• Taliban Arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Noodles i slipped",
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2009, 11:57:50 pm »
You are one of the biggest men on this site, cos you have admitted, in all honesty ,your problems.Disregard all the negative comments mate because you have the greatest of Rawk to support you.
What a man you are,youve admitted your failings but it is shared by countless people all over the globe.
Hope it work outs for you mate,
Go easy on yourself.
An arsehole of the first order and proud of it.                                                                                   Founder member of the Popular front of Judea

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2009, 02:08:51 am »
Now i know this isnt an agony aunt forum etc but can any of you guys and gals help.

i have a lil drink problem and i need to seriously cut it down. i cant go to the docs for help. does anyone here have any ideas? i dont want to quit, just drink say 2 times a week, for the footy etc.

presently im drinking about 5-6 pints of export and 5 pints of 7.5% cider a day. i know its not immense amounts but its cost me my marriage already.

sarcastic comments welcome as well cos knowing Rawk someone is itching to drop one lol.

Have you ever thought about becoming the manager of the Mancs? You'd give that fucker a run for his money!  ;D

Seriously though HF, whatever way you find that helps best is the one for you. Good luck lad, and well done for coming on here to start the ball rolling. If fuck all else, you know you'll get the encouragement that might help you. Obviously, you've got to do it yourself, for all the right reasons for you. People might mention money, but that doesn't sound like it's a motivator for you.

One thing I would say from reading your post is that your trying to diminish the extent of the problem, saying things like "lil drink problem" and "I know it's not immense amounts". Seriously mate, to succeed, you have to face up to the fact that it's a very big problem. Those levels of alcohol, combined with no food, as Terry has already said, is potentially lethal.

The other thing is the stuff from the past and the suicidal feelings. As hard as this sounds, these are things you are going to have to face sober to deal with. If you don't, they'll just be there in the back of your mind waiting to hit you at a moment of weakness. When you feel strong enough, take control over them and over any fucker who's helped to put them there. Make yourself a promise that you'll take away the power these bad things have over you. Take that away, and you'll take away the power the ale has over you.

Good luck mate, and if you ever want to PM anyone, don't hesitate   :wave
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2009, 02:26:10 am »
Its silly o'clock on a Tuesday monring, i'm about to quit my job (because i'd rather tear my eye lashes out than continue in my call centre job)

I've had 4 cans of beer, and 2 bottles of wine... normally i'll drink 3 or 4 times a week.. am i an alcoholic? your response will help me to decide.

On a weekly basis, if it were not beer - it would be beer weed or cocaine. Now i've cut back on the coke... i.e i don't do it anymore, however i still drink and smoke weed on a weekly basis. I have done for at least 5 years, do i have a problem? what help would people suggest?

I have a partner who i love, who loves me... however the moment she leaves mine i have a beer or (many) or a few joints... on a weekly basis... do i have a problem?

What advice could you give?
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2009, 02:39:20 am »
It all depends whether it's that amount every one of those four nights nights a week or once a week. But even if it is only once a week, it's dangerous as fuck mate. The thing is mate, what reasons do you do that much for?
Macca resplendent!

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2009, 02:48:58 am »
Because i hate my 'working life' - i understand that any addiction is usually an ingrained result of how somebody feels.

I hate my job with a passion... i don't know if anyone out there has smoked / drank on a every day basis... any help, support i'd welcome.

I hate my (day) life... i ache to see my girl in the evenings, however my job in the day (call centre employee) fucking sucks... i figure i get fucked to push back my hate for this part of my life. However with a couple hundred buff in my back pocket and only a 4 A levels to my name, what more can i do that a shitty telesales job?
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline macca888

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2009, 03:05:17 am »
Because i hate my 'working life' - i understand that any addiction is usually an ingrained result of how somebody feels.

I hate my job with a passion... i don't know if anyone out there has smoked / drank on a every day basis... any help, support i'd welcome.

I hate my (day) life... i ache to see my girl in the evenings, however my job in the day (call centre employee) fucking sucks... i figure i get fucked to push back my hate for this part of my life. However with a couple hundred buff in my back pocket and only a 4 A levels to my name, what more can i do that a shitty telesales job?

Seriously mate, it sounds like you're saying that the only thing you're happy with is the time you spend with your girl? From what you've said, you don't like your working day life, you don't like it when your bird's not with you, and you're not happy with things like your qualifications and circumstances. If you don't mind me saying, it sounds like you're using your girl to escape from the things you don't like in your life. Maybe facing up to them would help, an it would also be beneficial for your relationship too. You'll see your girl as someone to share your positivity with rather than all the negative shit that you've got around you, and you'll enjoy being with her more when you don't just see her as an escape from all the shit that's there. Likewisemate, the drink and gear is just another attempt to escape from your realities. Just remember mate, there's nothing stopping you from finding a job that you really love, even if in the short term you might have to start at the bottom and take a short term pay drop. There's nothing stopping you getting further qualifications to help you with that. And finding something more constructive to do when you're not with your bird will help too.
Macca resplendent!

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2009, 08:38:15 am »
Generally agree with most of the advice on here:

- You've done the hardest part by admitting you have a problem and deciding you genuinely want to do something about it

- Exercise is an excellent option, it will make you feel better, break your routine (including the habitual drinking) and save you the money. Plus the natural endorphins will give you that "uplifting" feeling you are getting from the booze at the moment.

- With the best will in the world, think about why you got into the habit of drinking so much. You've hinted at various people in your life causing you stress, and also at some childhood issues. Probably the most important thing I can say for both of them is COMMUNICATE.

- Firstly I would say find someone you can trust and talk to about your childhood issues (doesn't have to be a professional, but probably better if it is). Unless you do that I think you'll find it very hard to deal with them, they will still be there and will always put pressure on you to go back to the booze.

- Secondly, talk to the people who are driving you to drink, and explain to them that you really want to kick the habit, and every time they harass you it makes it that much harder. If they truly care about you they'll take that on board.

- I disagree that you have to go completely off the booze - I think mentally that can be a big hurdle - I would say cutting down to just weekends (in the first place) is not a bad starting point. Obviously if you try that and end up just getting bladdered then you will probably have to try complete teetotalism.

- Think about why you are drinking. Ask yourself out loud "why am I drinking" and write down the answers, that will help you understand what got you into the habit, and what can get you out of it.

- Try the AA, but if you are going to do it then do it properly and actually go to the meetings!!

- If you can't do that, a watered-down version is to keep an honest track of how much you drink each week (booze diary). Pick a good friend that you trust and who supports you, and at the end of the week see them face-to-face and tell them honestly how much you have drunk (you don't have to set a target, jsut be totally honest). That gets it out in the open and means that you have someone on your side. When I quit smoking it was great to be able to tell my GF that I'd been on a night out and not smoked at all, the flipside was I felt really bad when I had to admit that I'd had a smoke, which helped me to stop it.

- Finally just remember the biggest advantage you have: YOU are in control of what happens to you - if you truly want to give up the booze, then you will find a way to do it.

Best of Luck and Congratulations for taking the first (and by far the hardest) step, which is to put your hand up and admit the problem.

ps I used a lot of these techniques when I quit smoking - at first I smoked every day, then gradually cut it down to just evenings/weekends, then just when I was out having a few drinks on the weekends, and the final step was to quit completely. One of the best things I've ever done in my life, if you sort out your booze problem you will come to think of that achievement in the same terms.

pps good luck again!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:40:38 am by Rusty »
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:55 am »
Its silly o'clock on a Tuesday monring, i'm about to quit my job (because i'd rather tear my eye lashes out than continue in my call centre job)

I've had 4 cans of beer, and 2 bottles of wine... normally i'll drink 3 or 4 times a week.. am i an alcoholic? your response will help me to decide.

On a weekly basis, if it were not beer - it would be beer weed or cocaine. Now i've cut back on the coke... i.e i don't do it anymore, however i still drink and smoke weed on a weekly basis. I have done for at least 5 years, do i have a problem? what help would people suggest?

I have a partner who i love, who loves me... however the moment she leaves mine i have a beer or (many) or a few joints... on a weekly basis... do i have a problem?

What advice could you give?

I don't see what the problem is really.  3 times a week, well thats Fri, Sat and a midweek one.  But 4 nights a week is perhaps a bit much on a regular basis.  Don't get me wrong, I've got bladdered for a week straight, more or less, but I couldn't do 4 nights of heavy drinking on a regular basis, I'd feel too shit the next day and it ruins my plans for going to the gym usually, which makes me feel like shit for not going.  I just don't understand how people can ignore the symptoms of being hungover to fuck and yet still get back on the ale.  Alcohol is a poison, I know that the next day because I feel like my body is saying "yeah cheers for that yesterday you utter prick", and the next day is spent eating crap because that's all I crave, which makes me feel even crapper.
It sounds to me like you're on the verge of developing a bit of a problem, but you're still abstaining a couple of nights a week, so you're not completely gone yet.

Get rid of the alcohol at home though, that's a bad habit and totally unneccessary.  There's a ton of boozers out there, you don't need 10 tins of Grolsch staring at you in the fridge every time you reach for some cheese.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2009, 10:43:06 am »
I just don't understand how people can ignore the symptoms of being hungover to fuck and yet still get back on the ale.  Alcohol is a poison, I know that the next day because I feel like my body is saying "yeah cheers for that yesterday you utter prick"

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:251865" width="480" height="400" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" flashVars="autoPlay=false&dist=lineboil.com&orig=" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>

red genius -

i smoke weed almost every day, lets say 5-6 days out of 7, and i'll have at least one or two beers a day, but rarely more. i'll also do coke and acid, but maybe once every 3-6 months. i don't think i have a real problem, as i don't feel addicted to anything. i want a joint, but i don't need it - there's a whole world of difference there, i think. and another good marker that you're OK is if the rest of your life is running just fine despite the drugs and alcohol.
for example - i'm a fine academic citizen, and the majority of my fellow straight colleagues are playing catch up to me, not the other way round. obviously there are better students then me, but they really put more effort in and have sacrificed some things i'll never sacrifice. but generally if your bad habits aren't having a detrimental effect your professional life, you don't have a problem. at least that's how i see it.

your problem is having a job that you hate, and i can't really give you any advice there.

Harvest Fields, i hope you're still on track :wave
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2009, 02:38:57 pm »

hahahahah thats class. lol. i gave the local authority permission to access my records due to mental health issues. so they could keep tabs on me basically. They think im a nutter. dunno how else to say it. but im off to the gym first thing tomorro. i will beat this fucker.

They won't keep perma tabs on your health records mate. Even if they do see them
they would try and help not lock you up. Having mental health issues isn't black and white and they should offer you help not the opposite

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2009, 06:23:15 pm »
well, FMOB. ( fuck my old boots ). I have had more support and help from my virtual friends than real life ones.  im drinking today and tomorro, my mate was buried today and another is buried tomorro so i need a drink to help. hard few days. but, yesterday i didnt have any, i went to the pub and drank coffee. it isnt easy at all but i feel ive actually acheived something. i started to think ill be Frank Gallagher. as for the demons that drive me, i really dont think i wanna go there. its not abuse etc but the thoughts that pull me under i just wanna suppress.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2009, 06:49:18 pm »
i know burying a friend is a huge thing but really you should avoid alcohol at all costs.

people look for reasons/excuses to drink, you just need to cut it out period - or you will start saying just 1 a day is ok, a big improvement etc.

you been to the doctors yet?
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2009, 06:56:19 pm »
no i havent. tried that once before. they kinda dismiss it as a trivial prob. give me vitamin b i think it was and send me away. and there are far more ppl out there that need help first. waste of NHS resources cos i drink if u ask me.

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2009, 07:16:06 pm »
Hope you get through this take it one day at a time mate , you've already done the hard bit by admitting it as others have said , Did you get yourself down the gym?
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2009, 07:21:30 pm »
best if luck with it. good luck
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2009, 07:24:31 pm »
Hope you get through this take it one day at a time mate , you've already done the hard bit by admitting it as others have said , Did you get yourself down the gym?

havent yet. work yesterday. funeral today. funeral tomorro. thursday is looking the day. i will go and ill let u guys and gals know how it went.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2009, 07:30:36 pm »
yesterday i didnt have any, i went to the pub and drank coffee. it isnt easy at all but i feel ive actually acheived something.

That's because you have. Fair play.

Offline Linton

• Kopite
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2009, 07:47:00 pm »
no i havent. tried that once before. they kinda dismiss it as a trivial prob. give me vitamin b i think it was and send me away. and there are far more ppl out there that need help first. waste of NHS resources cos i drink if u ask me.

You've got more than enough b vitamins in the ale mate...
Jokes aside, as someone else said, think you should drop the ale for tomorrow if you can. No reason to wait. It takes a brave man to do what you have done so just dont go there. Btw, regarding depression, has your doctor talked anything about Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy and maybe SSRI medication for you? There is help to get, and although I know many people don't like anti depressants, there sometimes is a need for them. Doing that, kicking the ale habit and start training, I'm sure you'll feel better pretty quick.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2009, 07:49:29 pm »
You've got more than enough b vitamins in the ale mate...
Jokes aside, as someone else said, think you should drop the ale for tomorrow if you can. No reason to wait. It takes a brave man to do what you have done so just dont go there. Btw, regarding depression, has your doctor talked anything about Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy and maybe SSRI medication for you? There is help to get, and although I know many people don't like anti depressants, there sometimes is a need for them. Doing that, kicking the ale habit and start training, I'm sure you'll feel better pretty quick.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but SSRIs can cause weight gain, which could offset the gym stuff. If he can do without them, all the better.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2009, 08:13:54 pm »
Also do you smoke weed? I used to find that if I had a smoke it would decrease my appetite to have a drink. Maybe worth considering?

Fuck me, I've heard it all now. Take up smoking illegal drugs to help you quit drinking. Jesus wept.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.