Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 4005406 times)

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!
« Reply #41480 on: July 28, 2017, 06:12:16 pm »
your summation is sadly correct but lets not get too bogged down in politics i will not be posting in the Labour Thread again, need to look at more important things, i have just purchased a chicken coop and run for my allotment , so now i need to find out how to build it and how to keep chickens in it,  always liked birds

Good for you, get out in the fresh air and enjoy yourself 👍
When in Rome...

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #41481 on: July 28, 2017, 11:03:30 pm »
Good that you're back here Geoff. I can tell that you're getting a lot of enjoyment from the allottment.
10 years ago I never thoght I would like gardening. However the last 18 months I have worked really hard in the garden, the shed is finished!. The weather here in the last 3 months has been really good so I come home from work in the evening, make a cup of tea in the shed then sit outside, do a few things, make another cuppa, plan the next item of work, make another cuppa, do whatever needs doing, stay outside until it's getting dark. Really relaxing.
Now I have 3 weeks holiday. On monday I pick up 2 friends from Liverpool at Munich airport, we stay in Munich until Thursday to watch the footy and drink a few beers, then back here, they stay until Monday when I also fly to Bristol to visit my mother in the SW. All action.

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41482 on: July 29, 2017, 05:18:08 pm »
Willi, my grandmother was German, she was born in 1882 in a village called Neuenstein which I believe is not too far from Heidelberg. Now I've retired it is one of the first things on my bucket list to visit and stay in the area for a few days, knowing my nan's history it will be quite emotional for me to go there. I'd like to ask if you know much about the area? I believe Heidelberg is a wonderful place to visit and stay? Any advice would be really appreciated.
My wife has friends in Frankfurt who we can also stay with.
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #41483 on: July 29, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »
Hiya Keith,

Stayed overnight in Heidelberg abour 15 years ago - en route to Koln. Very nice Uni town with some good restaurants back then. Can't speak for nowadays mate but you will enjoy the place I'm sure.

Take care mate.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #41484 on: July 29, 2017, 10:48:38 pm »
Hi Keith
I live in Bayern now and work still in Baden-Württemberg so on the border. Heidelberg is a good bit west sort of direction from Stuttgart. i think I was there once but sorry, I don't know the area. It is supposed to be really nice around there.
Certainly going there you could then go on to the Black Forest, Strasbourg and to Switzerland.
You now have the time, go on tour.

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41485 on: July 29, 2017, 11:05:13 pm »
Hiya Keith,

Stayed overnight in Heidelberg abour 15 years ago - en route to Koln. Very nice Uni town with some good restaurants back then. Can't speak for nowadays mate but you will enjoy the place I'm sure.
Take care mate.

Hi Keith
I live in Bayern now and work still in Baden-Württemberg so on the border. Heidelberg is a good bit west sort of direction from Stuttgart. i think I was there once but sorry, I don't know the area. It is supposed to be really nice around there.
Certainly going there you could then go on to the Black Forest, Strasbourg and to Switzerland.
You now have the time, go on tour.

Jonno, Willi,
Thanks to both of you for sharing what you know. Hopefully I'll get to visit, if not this year then about May next year.
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41486 on: July 30, 2017, 08:57:17 am »
Take a mosey with this Heidelberg taster Keith. Spotted a wall plaque commemorating Erasmus on a cobbled street in the centre of the old town near to the main church of course.

http://www.dw.com/en/heidelberg-old-university-town-on-the-neckar-river/a-1673174

On reflection, tt was a very relaxing 24 hours - wish I'd had longer there now mate!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #41487 on: July 30, 2017, 01:44:12 pm »
Just got Quiet Genius out from the library. There is a photo of Paisley and Busby I've never seen before.

After the 1983 Milk Cup Final win over United Paisley and Busby circled Wembley in a golf buggy/ Popemobile, Busby being Paisley's first Liverpool captain.

Two great managers but quiet and unassuming men.

Contrast this to a picture of Clough in the same book whose ego got the better of him at a previous final who stopped, when leading the teams out with Bob, to milk the applause.

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #41488 on: July 30, 2017, 09:20:50 pm »
Would you class Clough as the Mourinho of his day?
Certainly not any 'gentlemen' in the game today.
Sorry for writing about football.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #41489 on: July 30, 2017, 09:34:31 pm »
Would you class Clough as the Mourinho of his day?

There are similarities.
Both love the sound of their own voice & sometimes can't control the level of shite spewed from their traps.
Jose is a very talented bellend..pretty clear.
Clough was a fucking blert..a very talented one too.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41490 on: July 31, 2017, 08:31:04 am »
Just got Quiet Genius out from the library. There is a photo of Paisley and Busby I've never seen before.

After the 1983 Milk Cup Final win over United Paisley and Busby circled Wembley in a golf buggy/ Popemobile, Busby being Paisley's first Liverpool captain.

Contrast this to a picture of Clough in the same book whose ego got the better of him at a previous final who stopped, when leading the teams out with Bob, to milk the applause.

Bob arrived at Anfield from Bishop Auckland in 1939 and the two fellas immediately struck up a friendship that was to last them a lifetime. Two great gentlemen of the game from a time when the game belonged to us the ordinary working people. May they both rest in peace and the both of them always will live on as legends of the game and of our two clubs.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41491 on: July 31, 2017, 01:38:07 pm »
There are similarities.
Both love the sound of their own voice & sometimes can't control the level of shite spewed from their traps.
Jose is a very talented bellend..pretty clear.
Clough was a fucking blert..a very talented one too.

True about the shite spewing, but at least Clough was a consummate team builder, whereas Jose has to shop at Harrods.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #41492 on: July 31, 2017, 07:40:59 pm »
I just got a book called 'Retiring With Attitude ' out of the library

so far very sage words for me
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41493 on: July 31, 2017, 11:57:48 pm »
So don't piss off from what is OUR thread Geoff mate - SHARE the wisdom in that book FFS!! There are few left of us old comtemptibles who will glean ANYTHING which you have learned! Stick around mate because you are valued . . . . You don't need to be posting " mainstream" daily or venting about this or that annoying bollux - but you matter!! We've never met or shared a pint together but at the end of the day does that matter at all? Trying to say we have to keep alive the old values that shaped the game we love. Does that make any sense to you at all? The whole point is that YOU matter!!!
« Last Edit: August 1, 2017, 12:03:14 am by JohnnoWhite »

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41494 on: August 1, 2017, 12:21:25 am »
I just got a book called 'Retiring With Attitude ' out of the library

so far very sage words for me
Have you retired from teaching, How do you feel? Free or is it more mixed. I'm a year or two from retiring and ten years ago I couldn't wait but now it's getting closer and the reality is hitting me, I'm beginning to realise that I'm going to miss people and things as well as being free from the last few years of conflict jobwise as management have used the excuse of austerity to turn the clock back on so many hard won conditions
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41495 on: August 1, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »
Have you retired from teaching, How do you feel? Free or is it more mixed. I'm a year or two from retiring and ten years ago I couldn't wait but now it's getting closer and the reality is hitting me, I'm beginning to realise that I'm going to miss people and things as well as being free from the last few years of conflict jobwise as management have used the excuse of austerity to turn the clock back on so many hard won conditions

Semi retired just doing 3 days a week from sept then finish next July, staging it to get used to more free time on my hands
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41496 on: August 1, 2017, 05:24:35 pm »
Johnno this passage seems quite relevant to this excellent community in this thread:

' A successful and fulfilling retirement requires ongoing support. You will need help when making decisions to leave work, for early adjustments and for further periods of change. It is important to try out different approaches in order to find those that suit you best.
Retirees who belong to social networks and communities rich in support are able to access vital resources, which help them make retirement enjoyable and rewarding. So it is worth exploring networks that already exist or setting up a new group with a little help from oyur friends.

Bit in bold is this thread in my opinion/

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41497 on: August 1, 2017, 05:25:55 pm »
Forgot to tell Willi i am going to tidy up my double shed this week.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41498 on: August 1, 2017, 05:47:09 pm »
Semi retired just doing 3 days a week from sept then finish next July, staging it to get used to more free time on my hands

Phased retirement is the way forward.

I was retired off in six weeks and only really had time to plan my leaving do. To make matters worse my nob head of an Assistant Director had forgotten to make any arrangements to appoint any successor so 6 weeks after retiring I had to go back and sit on an interview panel with him.

Didn't get paid for it either.

Ease your way in gradually and make sure you have time for yourself. Your family will find plenty for you to do, for them!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41499 on: August 1, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »
Phased retirement is the way forward.

I was retired off in six weeks and only really had time to plan my leaving do. To make matters worse my nob head of an Assistant Director had forgotten to make any arrangements to appoint any successor so 6 weeks after retiring I had to go back and sit on an interview panel with him.

Didn't get paid for it either.

Ease your way in gradually and make sure you have time for yourself. Your family will find plenty for you to do, for them!

So far have had my allotment in place for the last three years and now going to put chickens on it , i am now a member at Trent Bridge so lots of Cricket to watch each year, also thinking of becoming an invigilator which will keep me in touch with the school but just during exam times of which these days  there is plenty.

Just Signed up for the Memory Walk for the Dementia Charity in September .

Philip's Memory Walk 2017
I'm taking part in the 6K Memory Walk 2017 for Alzheimer's Society because I want a world without dementia

if anyone wants to sponsor me,  PM me i will send you the just giving link

Going to grow cabbages rather than become one will be my mantra.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41500 on: August 2, 2017, 05:38:35 pm »
sorted out my double shed but also lit a fire it was bloody cold today and it is August

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41501 on: August 2, 2017, 10:39:06 pm »
sorted out my double shed but also lit a fire it was bloody cold today and it is August

Hope the shed didn't burn down.

I went to the Cuban Propaganda Poster exhibition at the Maritime today and walking on the riverfront was just like November, cold, driving rain.

Interesting exhibition but the highlight was a fascinating documentary about Civan intervention in the Congo and Guinea. I vaguely remember the Congo as a kid but the insight of how a messy colonial disengagement became a Cold War proxy battlefield was enlightening.

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #41502 on: August 2, 2017, 11:55:16 pm »

ontrast this to a picture of Clough in the same book whose ego got the better of him at a previous final who stopped, when leading the teams out with Bob, to milk the applause.

This took place before the Charity Shield of 1983. The aim was to try to foster better relations between the two sets of fans.
We lost 2-0 in Smoking Joe's first outing as manager and of course won a treble that same season.
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41503 on: August 3, 2017, 12:20:59 pm »
This took place before the Charity Shield of 1983. The aim was to try to foster better relations between the two sets of fans.
We lost 2-0 in Smoking Joe's first outing as manager and of course won a treble that same season.

That's interesting as I've started to notice a few other errors in the text of the book, for instance, Gerry Bryne and St John both being described as midfielders. Not very good research.

Trying to foster better relations between the fans worked out well, didn't it!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41504 on: August 3, 2017, 02:12:50 pm »

Yep correct and very different from what the book claims eh?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41505 on: August 3, 2017, 02:13:59 pm »
Went to see 'Dunkirk' in the cinema this morning,  brilliant film it is worth a look

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41506 on: August 3, 2017, 08:05:51 pm »
Went to see 'Dunkirk' in the cinema this morning,  brilliant film it is worth a look

Not seen it yet but heard mixed messages from some who have Geoff - kinda putting me off a bit  to be honest.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41507 on: August 4, 2017, 07:27:16 pm »
Re 'Dunkirk' camera work is stunning but as with all films its like marmite.

Just to update people not only do i have a double shed i have just ordered a polytunnel for the allotment,  arriving on monday

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41508 on: August 4, 2017, 10:19:08 pm »
Re 'Dunkirk' camera work is stunning but as with all films its like marmite.

Just to update people not only do i have a double shed i have just ordered a polytunnel for the allotment,  arriving on monday

Didn't know things were THAT bad down Nottingham way Geoff mate. Couldn't you afford to get a bed then?  :P :P.

Speaking of Nottingham (or to give it its original Saxon name Snottingham - you can see what prompted the name change!) when I were a lad in'th TA, we were on summer camp in Newark. So I was out for a night in'th Nottingham town centre (abart 1964 this wudda been) with a few of the 7th Cheshires, and we went inter Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem.

They had a Rhino horn where the dart board shudda bin which was weird to us lot from Macclesfield and Stockport. Seems the trick was to the sling the ring on the end of the string onto the horn on th' wall.

Well what a shower of shite we were that night and we tried allsorts to gerrit on the bloody horn - alas without joy. Just when we were abart to give up, a little ol' fella who'd sat smirking in th' corner by the horn throughout this shabby show, gorrup and said " Here's are to do it lads". And with that simplest of intros, he stood with his back to the bloody unfindable horn - and calmly swung the string with the ring on the end o'er his shoulder and fook me, nailed it stone dead in one!!

That old fella musta gone home pissed on the cheapest night he'd ever spent in there 'cos all 7 of us bought him a pint for the "education"! Fond memories of that night Geoff - and I've never been back there since. Is it still there at the foot of the Sheriff's castle? From memory, it claimed to have been a tavern since 1189. Did I remember rightly?
« Last Edit: August 4, 2017, 10:26:54 pm by JohnnoWhite »

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41509 on: August 5, 2017, 10:01:48 pm »
Didn't know things were THAT bad down Nottingham way Geoff mate. Couldn't you afford to get a bed then?  :P :P.

Speaking of Nottingham (or to give it its original Saxon name Snottingham - you can see what prompted the name change!) when I were a lad in'th TA, we were on summer camp in Newark. So I was out for a night in'th Nottingham town centre (abart 1964 this wudda been) with a few of the 7th Cheshires, and we went inter Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem.

They had a Rhino horn where the dart board shudda bin which was weird to us lot from Macclesfield and Stockport. Seems the trick was to the sling the ring on the end of the string onto the horn on th' wall.

Well what a shower of shite we were that night and we tried allsorts to gerrit on the bloody horn - alas without joy. Just when we were abart to give up, a little ol' fella who'd sat smirking in th' corner by the horn throughout this shabby show, gorrup and said " Here's are to do it lads". And with that simplest of intros, he stood with his back to the bloody unfindable horn - and calmly swung the string with the ring on the end o'er his shoulder and fook me, nailed it stone dead in one!!

That old fella musta gone home pissed on the cheapest night he'd ever spent in there 'cos all 7 of us bought him a pint for the "education"! Fond memories of that night Geoff - and I've never been back there since. Is it still there at the foot of the Sheriff's castle? From memory, it claimed to have been a tavern since 1189. Did I remember rightly?
the trip is still there also the other fable was people could lift some of the seats up and hide their stash in it .

http://www.triptojerusalem.com/

Had another great day watching the Cricket  at Trent Bridge , Notts broke another world record, the biggest score in a 6 over powerplay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40837907

This Alex Hales just takes bowlers apart

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #41510 on: August 6, 2017, 09:05:17 am »

This Alex Hales just takes bowlers apart
It's nice to know that the millinery industry is still active in the region.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #41511 on: August 6, 2017, 12:39:34 pm »
Kill the humourless

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #41512 on: August 6, 2017, 12:55:20 pm »

You had to be a bit well off, or have an Aunty who was and who'd send you one for Christmas, to get your hands on any of that stuff.

Liverpool inventor though.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41513 on: August 6, 2017, 01:14:37 pm »
How much was the giant one that someone bought me for Christmas in '54?
Kill the humourless

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #41514 on: August 6, 2017, 01:40:52 pm »
How much was the giant one that someone bought me for Christmas in '54?

Probably the price of a detached house in Blundellsands or somewhere around Calderstones back then..

I had a mate who had some Bayko, but he'd lost half the poles so anything we ever tried to build was always incomplete.

I was quite jealous of him, though he also had a huge Hornby three rail set up complete with double track and diamond crossings, electric operated signals, the Terminus building too...though on recollection it was probably more for his Dad than him.

I had to largely make do with cereal box cardboard to make models of buildings.

Still, it taught me how to take a flat plan and construct a 3d model or reverse and look at a building and make a flat plan of it.

Only difficulty I had was cutting out windows with lines that would be true, lack of a scalpel, though it's probably not the sort of thing a kid of 8 should be wielding on the kitchen table...

These days, it seems keen modellers have all gone 3d printing, downloading the original plans in cad/cam and running it through the computer and the printer.

Some of the models I've seen are Museum or Exhibition standard, absolutely fantastic, though it does seem a bit like cheating to me.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41515 on: August 6, 2017, 04:24:18 pm »
Probably the price of a detached house in Blundellsands or somewhere around Calderstones back then..
Looks like abar 100 quid.

http://www.bayko.org.uk/index.html?http://www.bayko.org.uk/Sets%20and%20Contents/Set%20Price%20History.htm&mainFrame

Kill the humourless

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #41516 on: August 6, 2017, 10:49:16 pm »
Forgot to tell Willi i am going to tidy up my double shed this week.
Double shed, I'm really jeolous.
Munich was real fun, my friends came back here for a few days, coming from Liverpool they thought it was too hot but I get used to it I guess. Winter will be cold anyway.
Good to see people writing while I was away, keep it up.
Stay on the thread Geoff. Or give them hell on the others.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41517 on: August 8, 2017, 12:14:50 pm »
Double shed, I'm really jeolous.
Munich was real fun, my friends came back here for a few days, coming from Liverpool they thought it was too hot but I get used to it I guess. Winter will be cold anyway.
Good to see people writing while I was away, keep it up.
Stay on the thread Geoff. Or give them hell on the others.

Double shed and a woodburner well at least a brick fireplace and lots of wood stacked ready, Willi,  luxury, luxury. Well in my garage i have the bits for my Polytunnel and my Chicken coop and 'Run just waiting on my son in law to build them for me later this month.

In the meantime i have a Cougette and Runner Bean glut,  so i will be off loading them to neighbours and family.

Offline Willi

• Kopite
« Reply #41518 on: August 10, 2017, 11:17:47 pm »
Been giving cucumbers away for 2 months, Geoff, eating courgettes on a daily basis, tomatoes and now the Chilies are ripening. Growing chilies is my main greenhouse hobby. My dog is also called Chili.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41519 on: August 17, 2017, 03:26:01 pm »
Just spent a brief holiday with my wife at Hunstanton and surrounding areas in Norfolk, it was just what we needed.