Author Topic: Curry Thread  (Read 66482 times)

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Re: Curry Thread
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2007, 08:35:24 pm »
I'll be in london next week.

What is the best restaurant on Brick Lane?
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline so kop end lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2007, 12:54:16 am »

A few good ones but never remember the names.

Normally the one with the que out the door and down the street.

Don't be put off by that though as the que goes down quickly and it's well worth it.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2007, 05:31:50 am »

The best restaurant on Brick Lane is actually not in Brick Lane but is the Lahore Kabab House on Commercial Road.  A 15 minute walk that is well worth it.  Stick to the kababs - seekh, tikka, etc (mutton rather than chicken), have the saag mutton and perhaps the daal.  Have that with rotis.  No bloody "pilau rice", pappadums or any of that other irrelevant stuff and you can ignore most of the other curries (the stuff with gravy).  It's unpretentious, a bit dirty but it is the most authentic meal you will have anywhere in that part of town.  No alcohol but go across the street to the offie to buy your beers and they will allow you to drink them with your meal.

There are a number of pretenders - "New Lahore Kabab House", Shaam-e-Lahore Kabab House etc. but ignore them and stick to the real deal - you won't regret it.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2007, 07:59:03 am »
.  It's unpretentious, a bit dirty but it is the most authentic meal you will have anywhere in that part of town. 

Sounds like a prepared bog roll in the fridge job then for the next morning?
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Helly

« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2007, 08:24:53 am »
Raki site looks brilliant, pity they cant answer emails though :(

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2007, 09:56:32 am »
Sounds like a prepared bog roll in the fridge job then for the next morning?
Nah - the others hide the dirt in the kitchen, they are just a bit more open about it.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #166 on: March 28, 2007, 02:10:27 pm »
Raki site looks brilliant, pity they cant answer emails though :(

probably coz it should have gone to Rafi and not Raki! :)

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2007, 07:40:52 pm »
Another reccomendation for the Rafi site.

Ordererd a Phal, Vindaloo and Balti and they took about 3 days to show up. Just did the Vindaloo tonight and it was fucking lovely.

Top marks. :)
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2007, 08:10:14 pm »
Lamb bhuna to be honest.
Watch your back.

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2007, 10:13:53 am »
Another reccomendation for the Rafi site.

Ordererd a Phal, Vindaloo and Balti and they took about 3 days to show up. Just did the Vindaloo tonight and it was fucking lovely.

Top marks. :)

Tried a Rafi's Bhuna Massala last week, it was the dog's doo dahs.

Offline worthers

• originals
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2007, 05:00:37 pm »
The best restaurant on Brick Lane is actually not in Brick Lane but is the Lahore Kabab House on Commercial Road.  A 15 minute walk that is well worth it.  Stick to the kababs - seekh, tikka, etc (mutton rather than chicken), have the saag mutton and perhaps the daal.  Have that with rotis.  No bloody "pilau rice", pappadums or any of that other irrelevant stuff and you can ignore most of the other curries (the stuff with gravy).  It's unpretentious, a bit dirty but it is the most authentic meal you will have anywhere in that part of town.  No alcohol but go across the street to the offie to buy your beers and they will allow you to drink them with your meal.

There are a number of pretenders - "New Lahore Kabab House", Shaam-e-Lahore Kabab House etc. but ignore them and stick to the real deal - you won't regret it.

Is this the one just further down from Whitechapel, on the back street with fire outside?
"We can not walk alone" Martin Luther King 1963

In nine years, Paisley won three European Cups, a Uefa Cup, six League titles and three League Cups. He won three European Cups in nine years, while Mr Ferguson has managed two in 24.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2007, 06:21:59 pm »
Is this the one just further down from Whitechapel, on the back street with fire outside?
Forgotten where it is relating to Whitechapel but it is on a corner with the main entrance on the side street at 0 degrees to Commercial Road.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2007, 06:42:00 pm »
Had an immense curry last night from restaurant near mine

Pieces of garlic scatter on the top :lickin

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2007, 11:27:32 pm »
Quite an interesting thread on  a side note im a british bengali  most "indian restaurants are actaully owned and worked by Bangladeshies" :)
my father opened the first indian restuarnat in Nottingham called the Kohinoor and home curries esp my mothers beat most stuff you will find in a restuarent the difference between home made curries and the ones made for your western paletes are like night and day   ;D

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2007, 11:51:05 pm »
Quite an interesting thread on  a side note im a british bengali  most "indian restaurants are actaully owned and worked by Bangladeshies" :)
my father opened the first indian restuarnat in Nottingham called the Kohinoor and home curries esp my mothers beat most stuff you will find in a restuarent the difference between home made curries and the ones made for your western paletes are like night and day   ;D

Off to Nottingham in a few months...uni... will keep an eye out for that if I remember  :)
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2007, 12:06:18 am »
my father opened the first indian restuarnat in Nottingham called the Kohinoor and home curries esp my mothers beat most stuff you will find in a restuarent the difference between home made curries and the ones made for your western paletes are like night and day   ;D

My mate pointed that out too. But bangladesh and pakistan were both "India" at one point, werent they?

The style of cooking comes from that area, so calling it Indian seems ok IMO.
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2007, 04:07:33 am »
Me brother in law has a curry business. Basically you order the dishes on the Monday, Tuesday he cooks and prepares the food, then he chills and delivers on either the Friday or Saturday. He is doing well for him self and his customers give him rave reviews. He is a post manager on the Wirral and I think there are are few reds who order of him.
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2007, 08:37:53 am »
Off to Nottingham in a few months...uni... will keep an eye out for that if I remember  :)

unfortunatley its closed now but back in the day it was the place to go for a curry if your coming to Nottingham may i recomend my uncles restauarant The Mogal -E-Azam iits in town and right round the corner from the universities its been Nottinghams best and most Indian famous restuarant for over 20 years foods great prices are competitive and because its next door to the Theatre Royal many famous celebritites photos adorn the walls its like a whos who of showbiz!  ;D

http://travel.ciao.co.uk/Mogal_E_Azam_Tandoori_Nottingham__Review_5051354

http://mogaleazam.co.uk/

In a way im quite lucky because my father was very well know and i ve worked in loads of restauarents since i was 10 most of the restauarents i know very well and they offer me free food every time i walk in which is embaressing but sometimes a life saver if im on a night out, never had to pay for a curry in my life!  ;D

Rajah on Mansfield road is a good one too (also my uncles)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:39:44 am by Steven Gerrard »

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2007, 10:54:37 am »
Jar of the Tesco Finest Jalfrezi is currently sat in the Kitchen waiting for tonight. 8)

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2007, 03:36:45 pm »
unfortunatley its closed now but back in the day it was the place to go for a curry if your coming to Nottingham may i recomend my uncles restauarant The Mogal -E-Azam iits in town and right round the corner from the universities its been Nottinghams best and most Indian famous restuarant for over 20 years foods great prices are competitive and because its next door to the Theatre Royal many famous celebritites photos adorn the walls its like a whos who of showbiz!  ;D

http://travel.ciao.co.uk/Mogal_E_Azam_Tandoori_Nottingham__Review_5051354

http://mogaleazam.co.uk/

In a way im quite lucky because my father was very well know and i ve worked in loads of restauarents since i was 10 most of the restauarents i know very well and they offer me free food every time i walk in which is embaressing but sometimes a life saver if im on a night out, never had to pay for a curry in my life!  ;D

Rajah on Mansfield road is a good one too (also my uncles)

Nice one  :wave
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »
Korma fan myself.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2007, 04:43:32 pm »

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2007, 04:46:48 pm »
This has been a useful site for me

http://www.cr0.co.uk/curry/index.php#2

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2007, 06:01:26 pm »

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 1, 2007, 04:17:41 pm »
Nice one  :wave

No problem!

Have been using this beauty of a base sauce from the site mentioned:

Base sauce:

3 Tbsp Ghee or veg oil

Spices 1

5 Cloves
6 Green cardomons
10 Black peppercorns
3 Cinnamon sticks
4 Dried Bay leaves

5 Onions Sliced
2 Inch piece of ginger finely chopped
3 Garlic cloves finely chopped
Tin of Toms blended
1 Tbsp Tom Puree
2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander

Spices 2

1 Tbsp Fenugreek
2 Tbsp Ground Coriander
2 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tsp Turmeric
2 Tsp chilli powder
2 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tsp Garam Masala
1Tbsp Salt (to taste)
1Pt water

Method:

Heat oil, stir fry spices 1 for 1 minute on medium heat then add Garlic and Ginger fry for 30 secs stirring continuously. Then add sliced onions and fry until soft. Mix in blended Toms, tom puree and fresh Coriander.  Fry for a few more minutes.

Add all other spices (you may wish to make a paste and fry them separately first, but it’s not crucial) and fry for a few more minutes.

Add water stir and simmer for 30 mins.

Cool then liquidise.

Gravy is done

Edit: Think I'll make some now - take my mind off waiting!
« Last Edit: May 1, 2007, 06:17:41 pm by dnkw »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #185 on: May 1, 2007, 04:37:03 pm »
Not today thanks. Check the Shite thread                    :wave  
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #186 on: May 8, 2007, 06:45:44 pm »
Did a phaal yesterday and left it for 24hrs. Just portioned it up to freeze and having one now. Fucking hell it's a tad warm.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 8, 2007, 07:18:24 pm »
Are you crying?

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2007, 03:38:11 pm »
How many chillis etc did you use?

[img width= height= alt=Angry Bouncing]http://2ni2.com/emoticon/special/botando.gif[/img][img width= height= alt=Angry Bouncing]http://2ni2.com/emoticon/special/botando.gif[/img][img width= height= alt=Angry Bouncing]http://2ni2.com/emoticon/special/botando.gif[/img][img width= height= alt=Angry Bouncing]http://2ni2.com/emoticon/special/botando.gif[/img]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 03:48:13 pm by dnkw »

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2007, 05:56:27 pm »
Being an Indian i guess i should know my Indian food..

Lads check out this place, you can always tell a decent Indian place to eat if there are Indians in there eating.. this ones class..

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3294.htm
We won it 5 times........

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2007, 07:31:37 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation Raul

Forgot to reply this  :P
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline worthers

• originals
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2007, 01:51:31 pm »
Brick Lane for me tonight. Shit weather = Worthers will order a hotter curry. Also, end of Bengali new year today i beleive which means the street will be packed with food that Worthers LOVES.

In nine years, Paisley won three European Cups, a Uefa Cup, six League titles and three League Cups. He won three European Cups in nine years, while Mr Ferguson has managed two in 24.

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2007, 10:46:16 pm »
Brick Lane for me tonight. Shit weather = Worthers will order a hotter curry. Also, end of Bengali new year today i beleive which means the street will be packed with food that Worthers LOVES.

end of benglai new year?
how did i miss that!

Offline Sub

• Has a duck like a chicken
  • Legacy Fan
  • For sure.
« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2007, 12:20:29 am »
How have i missed this thread for so long  :o

Right, curry lovers, i'm on a mission... to find the hottest curry possible! Can anyone help?

Hottest i've had was one called a `GBH` a few weeks back, had to specially order it as they don't put it on the menu and was told it was hottest in the country. Is this true? Was also told of one called a KGB or something which was just below it then a phaal below that.
'Football is a lie' - Rafael Benitez.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2007, 01:15:48 am »
How have i missed this thread for so long  :o

Right, curry lovers, i'm on a mission... to find the hottest curry possible! Can anyone help?

Hottest i've had was one called a `GBH` a few weeks back, had to specially order it as they don't put it on the menu and was told it was hottest in the country. Is this true? Was also told of one called a KGB or something which was just below it then a phaal below that.

where was the gbh from??

Offline worthers

• originals
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2007, 09:36:28 am »

Gotta be a piss take by the waiters. Did you ask what the acronym stood for??

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2007, 10:24:56 am »
Gotta be a piss take by the waiters. Did you ask what the acronym stood for??
Growling Bum Hole.

Offline worthers

• originals
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2007, 07:39:29 pm »

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2007, 10:37:34 pm »
Growling Bum Hole.

More like Growing Bum Hole  :D

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2007, 07:01:41 am »
It's a curry party at ours tonight, the house smells fuckin lovely  :lickin