Author Topic: RAWK Roundtable. Bournemouth (and Boscombe) 0-2 Liverpool  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Roundtable. Bournemouth (and Boscombe) 0-2 Liverpool
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 12:45:23 pm »
Did the score flatter? Or does it not matter?
Should we have scored more? Or be grateful t'weren't a draw?
Enough of my guff
We beat Bournmouth.
That's about it, really. But a nice day out and 90 nicker a ticket for Arsenal.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 01:18:12 pm »
You hear that a lot mate, so perhaps I'm out on a limb here. But this is what I think. When he first came to Anfield it was like he'd never been properly coached. He simply didn't know how to tackle, and in particular where to stand to narrow the options of an opponent on the ball. Folks played around him. It was so easy. Under Brendan he began to change. Earlier this season there were signs that he'd 'got it'. I forget the game. It was at Anfield. Hendo was playing at the top of the midfield and he pressed brilliantly, turning the ball over several times. So there has been progress. But when he sits deeper he looks, to me, like he's at kindergarten again.

We're used to seeing Lucas play that role. He plays it superbly. Some take it for granted now - to the point where they think we can do without him! But he plays by anticipation. His reading of the game is top class and he's the opposite of reactive. He knows what an opponent is going to do before he does it. Alonsoesque in that respect. Therefore QUICK. Watching Hendo trying to figure out what to do back there is painful. You can almost see the question marks floating above his head. By the time he makes a decision it's too late. It's funny how football can turn quick players into slow ones.

I will, respectfully, completely disagree. Henderson for me is the best midfield presser in our squad, and while he's not a particularly good tackler he's very adept at slowing opposition attacks down or forcing them backwards when he is given the proper support. The problem for Henderson right now is, as has been mentioned, he doesn't know whether to stick or twist. Gerrard doesn't particularly press, and doesn't really have the legs for it for any period of time, and while the front four do press, it leaves him in a horrible position. If he tries to press with the front four then he leaves space behind him because Gerrard is often so deep and doesn't tend to push up. If he sits then there is still a massive gap but this time in front of him. It's not Gerrard's fault, I think Rodgers should surely be able to see that either you all press or you don't press/pressure at all, because otherwise you just leave big gaps to exploit, which then puts Gerrard in a horrible situation of having to deal with players flooding at him.

You only have to look at the games Henderson has played alongside Lucas and Allen to see how effectively he is able to press when afforded the right players to play alongside. Allen and Henderson also played alongside Alberto in pre-season (admittedly a tiny sample) but the three all pressed and the opposition barely got over the half way line and when they did they were so panicked and rushed that they would just give the ball away. Not to mention that Henderson's pressing has directly led to a number of goals and chances this season.

I agree that Henderson is looking poorer further back at the moment than he has done further forward, but then neither he or Gerrard seem to know what they're actually doing in the centre, and both are left horribly exposed. Henderson especially doesn't seem to know whether it's best to go forward or stay back, and Gerrard has several times in the last few games completely vacated his position and gone charging into and around the box, so he's having to go back and cover in a role that's not particularly suited to him. In our 4-3-3 the roles are much clearer and better defined, and you'll see the players play better in it. Currently it's like no-one knows what they're supposed to be doing, and so as a pairing it's just not very good.

We're hamstrung by injuries, but it's so important we go back to a 4-3-3 as soon as is feasibly possible. There could be an argument for putting Alberto in, which some may disagree with, but our midfield is currently shockingly porous, regardless of Gerrard/Henderson's passing accuracies or tackle numbers.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 01:24:23 pm »
I see what Yorky's saying. I think.

At the top of the 3 Hendo's pressing is there for all to see. When he's further back, it's nowhere near as effective as the type of play is more based on anticipation and reading of the game.

I think it's a solid and valid point, and again highlights what Lucas is so amazingly effective at.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2014, 01:27:22 pm »
You hear that a lot mate, so perhaps I'm out on a limb here. But this is what I think. When he first came to Anfield it was like he'd never been properly coached. He simply didn't know how to tackle, and in particular where to stand to narrow the options of an opponent on the ball. Folks played around him. It was so easy. Under Brendan he began to change. Earlier this season there were signs that he'd 'got it'. I forget the game. It was at Anfield. Hendo was playing at the top of the midfield and he pressed brilliantly, turning the ball over several times. So there has been progress. But when he sits deeper he looks, to me, like he's at kindergarten again.

We're used to seeing Lucas play that role. He plays it superbly. Some take it for granted now - to the point where they think we can do without him! But he plays by anticipation. His reading of the game is top class and he's the opposite of reactive. He knows what an opponent is going to do before he does it. Alonsoesque in that respect. Therefore QUICK. Watching Hendo trying to figure out what to do back there is painful. You can almost see the question marks floating above his head. By the time he makes a decision it's too late. It's funny how football can turn quick players into slow ones.

Agree with all of that.

Obviously he' still learing though which has him ending up in game situations where one scratching his head in disbelieve how a player can be able to set up chances for Suarez in such a brilliant way and then wasting clear opportunities like he has never played a game of football in his life before.

You really do wonder about the education he got as a youth player. He has nothing to remember or relate to in some situations, they literally teached him nothing, really.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:29:38 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 01:29:48 pm »

At the top of the 3 Hendo's pressing is there for all to see. When he's further back, it's nowhere near as effective as the type of play is more based on anticipation and reading of the game.

I think it's a solid and valid point, and again highlights what Lucas is so amazingly effective at.

Yep, this is spot on. He doesn't read the game particularly well, but then no-one else in our team reads it as well as Lucas does. Allen has the ability for sure, but probably won't play there long term.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 02:29:55 pm »
I thought we did just enough to get through this game into Rd 5.

We played at a slower pace than normal which was risky against a lower division team on their own patch, but it paid off as they have struggled to finish off moves with a goal. To have played at a fast pace would only have seen them raise their game even more.

Same problems in midfield as ever. Just why no cover has been sought for Lucas is mindblowing to me as this has happened before when he was injured at Chelsea in a LC game. We all know how he was missed then and the stakes are higher now with CL spot and a pot of gold in sight. Just a few days left now to correct a glaring deficiency in the squad. Stevie is a great player but not back there IMO.

Luis may not have scored in two games now but his work rate and passing in this game was top notch as ever. He set up the two goals but what a pass with the outside of his right boot that flew 40 yards before bouncing once into the path of Sterling(?) on the right wing. A treat to watch this guy which makes it so important we don't lose him. If we finish up in the EL it would be a blow but no Luis to drool over would be a bigger one and I've been going to Anfield for a long time.

Sterling is in top form at the moment and gave a great little cameo which augurs well for tomorrow.The attacking pieces are all in place but offset by our defensive weakness which with the injuries looks set to continue for a while. Get Sami back to sort it out, in fact, ask him to sign on for a couple of games as he could do as good a job.   :P
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 05:54:23 am »

Yorky got it spot on. At the top of midfield, you can be reactive and run after the ball. At the center of midfield, you have to be far more thoughtful. Do I press? Do I hold my position? where is my partner?

He isn't cut out to be a central midfielder in a 2. Not yet.
Justice for the 96

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:26 am »
Yorky got it spot on. At the top of midfield, you can be reactive and run after the ball. At the center of midfield, you have to be far more thoughtful. Do I press? Do I hold my position? where is my partner?

He isn't cut out to be a central midfielder in a 2. Not yet.

Henderson has looked decent in a 2, but partnered by Lucas.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258