Author Topic: The Arcade Fire  (Read 70986 times)

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: The Arcade Fire
« Reply #560 on: December 19, 2013, 06:02:14 pm »
I needed an excuse to sell my ticket.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: December 21, 2013, 11:12:03 am »
http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/74254

He's right on both accounts though. Double albums are the epitome of douche. They were in the 70s and they are today. As for the formal wear... I just lol.

As self important as Bono or Bonnie Bear at this point.

Ladies & gentlemen I give you the What's the Story double album...

Gallagher in hypocritical gobshite shocker... The blokes an arse.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: December 21, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »
Ladies & gentlemen I give you the What's the Story double album...

Gallagher in hypocritical gobshite shocker... The blokes an arse.

It's not really a double album though is it, Morning Glory. Lengthwise, it's only about 50 odd minutes or something.
It's part of the more modern trend of pressing albums that would easily fit on a single, onto a double. Possibly for better sound quality, I'm not sure why else people would have started doing it. Whereas the Arcade Fire album wouldn't fit on a single LP as it is just too long.

The practice does annoy the piss out of me though, as you have to change the LP every three tracks, give me a fuckin break. Remember White Stripes' Elephant did that.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #563 on: December 21, 2013, 05:13:13 pm »
It's not really a double album though is it, Morning Glory. Lengthwise, it's only about 50 odd minutes or something.
It's part of the more modern trend of pressing albums that would easily fit on a single, onto a double. Possibly for better sound quality, I'm not sure why else people would have started doing it. Whereas the Arcade Fire album wouldn't fit on a single LP as it is just too long.

The practice does annoy the piss out of me though, as you have to change the LP every three tracks, give me a fuckin break. Remember White Stripes' Elephant did that.
The length isn't the reason it's a double album, mate, whatever length it was, it was always intended to be a double album, because the two sides are totally different.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: December 22, 2013, 03:35:24 pm »
The length isn't the reason it's a double album, mate, whatever length it was, it was always intended to be a double album, because the two sides are totally different.

All true Mr. D. but for me the point is that he said nothing about how long it had to be, just that double albums (full stop) are shite. Well, he's done one so he's a hypocritical gobshite.

Some people think that famous people are all super smart & that their heroes can do no wrong. I don;t think it's true, often times, they're thicker than the next bloke.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: December 22, 2013, 07:01:06 pm »
All true Mr. D. but for me the point is that he said nothing about how long it had to be, just that double albums (full stop) are shite. Well, he's done one so he's a hypocritical gobshite.

Some people think that famous people are all super smart & that their heroes can do no wrong. I don;t think it's true, often times, they're thicker than the next bloke.

I hope you're not aiming at me. He's not on any list of my heroes.

I was merely pointing out that 'double album' to which he is obviously referring to doesn't really apply to that particular LP in the true sense of a 'double album'.
Yes, there it is, printed on 2 LPs. Spiritualized released a version of Ladies And Gentleman...on 12 discs. Doesn't make it a twelve disc album. It's on one CD, 2LPs. It's a double.

It's obvious what he is referring to is the classic concept of a 'double album' i.e two albums worth of material. London Calling, Blonde On Blonde, The Beatles, Exile On Main Street. Not a copy of one of his albums (produced in the CD/cassette dominated era) that happens to be spread across two sides of vinyl, because of a decision that he basically probably wouldn't even have been involved with.

I'm aware this argument seems rather mental. But I know what i mean. ::)

I just wanted to point out because he has literally released a 'double' album doesn't invalidate his argument per se. It's albums like the ones I mentioned that make his view stupid.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: December 22, 2013, 10:40:06 pm »
Cool your beans, not aimed at anyone. This isn't a thread for arguing.

It's Christmas, peace & love all round.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #567 on: January 9, 2014, 10:52:52 pm »
Reflektor playing in the Queen Vic in Eastenders.

Bizarre.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: May 23, 2014, 03:22:47 pm »
2 weeks until Earls Court

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #569 on: May 23, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »
Can't wait. Going to be awesome. Been lookign at their setlists from recent gigs and expect big things.

No support announced yet?

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: May 23, 2014, 07:38:54 pm »
Trying to remember but I don't think they had one when I saw them. There was a dj playing and that was it.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: May 24, 2014, 02:22:20 pm »
They didn't on the reflektor tour last year, gutted I'm not seeing them at Earls Court but then I'm seeing them at Glastonbury. Tempted to see them at Hyde Park again but rather hoping they just announced some dates for the north of England instead.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: June 5, 2014, 08:06:28 pm »
So tomorrow's the night, can't wait. Not going to bother with fancy dress, this is a 600 mile round trip for me and I can't be arsed with all the extra luggage.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #573 on: June 6, 2014, 12:02:01 am »
So tomorrow's the night, can't wait. Not going to bother with fancy dress, this is a 600 mile round trip for me and I can't be arsed with all the extra luggage.

I'll see you there ;D

Are people going in a black tie sort of attire to these shows?

Think they've asked people to but we're not. Apparently the best 5 costumes get to hang out with them before the gig.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #574 on: June 7, 2014, 12:13:07 am »
Wow.

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #575 on: June 7, 2014, 01:08:30 am »
Wow.

Good show? I'm going tomorrow night can't wait! They've got so many quality songs across all four albums I can't wait to see what they put together

Offline jameshay

• Kopite
« Reply #576 on: June 7, 2014, 01:16:07 am »
Mate sent a picture of Ian mcculloch on stage with them.
poetry in motion

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: June 7, 2014, 02:26:37 am »
Wow.

Fucking WOW. That was incredible.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: June 7, 2014, 02:27:22 am »
Mate sent a picture of Ian mcculloch on stage with them.

Just another drop in the ocean......

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #579 on: June 7, 2014, 10:00:46 am »
They're just ridiculously good. We were quite a way from the stage but after the first couple of tracks I didn't care. Stuff happens on a B-stage behind the sound/lighting rig too.

Highlights for me were Rebellion (Lies), The Suburbs, Ready To Start (when I think it really started to get fantastic), Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels), The Cutter with Ian McCulloch, No Cars Go, It's Never Over (Oh Orpheus), Sprawl II AND the whole of the encore (Normal Person, the incredible Here Comes the Night Time and Wake Up).

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: June 7, 2014, 10:35:29 am »
Incredibly jealous, but glad you enjoyed it!
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: June 7, 2014, 02:18:28 pm »
Straightened up and sobered up a bit now after last night, all I can say is that is up there with the best live performances I've ever witnessed. Just stunning.

Those who are going tonight, you'll have an incredible night.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: June 7, 2014, 07:42:28 pm »
« Last Edit: June 7, 2014, 07:44:28 pm by LanceLink »

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: July 1, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
Saw them on Sunday in Marlay Park. I've seen some great gigs but that was on another level, just perfect from start to finish.

Power Out, Hey Orpheus, Lies, Wake Up, Here Comes The Night Time and Sprawl II were the highlights.

Thought I'd went to wrong gig when Bono came out at the start

The Pope also made an appearance with Sinead O'Connor before he tore up a picture of Miley Cyrus

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: July 22, 2014, 09:02:25 pm »
was at the marley park gig and it was excellent. only bought the tickets cos pixies were supporting, and they turned out to be boring. AF totally put on a great show and had me up dancing. and i really shouldnt be dancing.

and normal person has one of the nicest guitar riffs i heard in ages
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:24:08 pm by crazyemlyn72 »

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: July 24, 2015, 10:11:54 pm »
Bit pissed and stoned and watching their Glastonbury set AGAIN from last year. Just brilliant.

Offline Sir Afghan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: July 25, 2015, 01:57:14 am »
Bit pissed and stoned and watching their Glastonbury set AGAIN from last year. Just brilliant.

Just lined them up on a late night playlist. After belle and sebastian and before pulp. Boss laaaaa

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2015, 12:16:26 am »

Saw them twice last year. Once at the Big Day Out in Sydney where they were OK and then at Glasto. To be honest it was one of the best sets I've ever seen. My travelling partner hates them and we made a pact that we'd both suffer through each others bands, mine being AF, hers being Metallica.

3 tunes in and she was dancing her arse off.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #588 on: January 19, 2017, 08:49:28 pm »

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: January 19, 2017, 09:29:21 pm »
They're back...

New track, can be streamed from http://www.stereogum.com/1920722/arcade-fire-i-give-you-power-feat-mavis-staples/music/

Mavis Staples, cool!

Can't seem to listen to it without downloading the Tidal app on my tablet, do I have to download?

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: January 19, 2017, 10:14:10 pm »
Mavis Staples, cool!

Can't seem to listen to it without downloading the Tidal app on my tablet, do I have to download?

Should be able to listen to it on this page

http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/01/arcade-fire-make-their-glorious-return-with-i-give-you-power-listen/
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: January 20, 2017, 05:37:05 pm »
Should be able to listen to it on this page

http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/01/arcade-fire-make-their-glorious-return-with-i-give-you-power-listen/

Nice one, that works.

Had a listen to that, not 100% blown away by it to be honest, bit too electronic for me, don't get me wrong, I like electronic music but this is Arcade Fire, not The Chemical Brothers.

It may be a grower.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: January 28, 2017, 10:45:57 am »
It's growing on me, the darkest song they've ever made.

I've read somewhere that this song is not on the new album.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #593 on: January 28, 2017, 11:19:56 am »
It's growing on me, the darkest song they've ever made.

I've read somewhere that this song is not on the new album.

I really like it. Very dark and menacing.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: February 14, 2017, 02:48:10 pm »
Announced yesterday that their playing Sounds of the City at the Castlefield Bowl in Manchester on July 6th. Tickets on sale Friday.

Offline Sir Afghan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: February 16, 2017, 10:57:20 am »
Announced yesterday that their playing Sounds of the City at the Castlefield Bowl in Manchester on July 6th. Tickets on sale Friday.

I'm going to be all over this. I'm assuming as it's so fucking expensive I should be OK for tickets if I'm online first thing Friday.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: February 16, 2017, 02:09:14 pm »
Going to see them live for the first time at Werchter festival at the end of June. Really looking forward to it.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #597 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:43 pm »
I'm going to be all over this. I'm assuming as it's so fucking expensive I should be OK for tickets if I'm online first thing Friday.

£60 each.

They will be like gold dust, going to try but not confident at all.

Offline flemingcool

• Anny Roader
« Reply #598 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »
I got two in the presale today, still can't believe we got them so easily.  Looks like a great venue.  I reckon they'll be doing a much bigger UK tour later in the year or 2018.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: February 16, 2017, 10:10:55 pm »
I got two in the presale today, still can't believe we got them so easily.  Looks like a great venue.  I reckon they'll be doing a much bigger UK tour later in the year or 2018.

Managed to get 2 myself.

It's quite a small venue (about 8000 apparently), and they've not announced many other dates so I imagine it'll sell quickly tomorrow.

Hopefully a much bigger tour happens this time as it didn't when they released Reflektor.