Author Topic: 2016 Rawk Album Of The Year - *** THE RESULTS ARE IN ***  (Read 16923 times)

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 2016 Rawk Album Of The Year
« Reply #120 on: January 5, 2017, 06:35:21 pm »
Is RTJ 3 a 2016 album?

Stewards Enquiry! :)

Traditionally we go with the amazon uk release date, which is in the rules we've always used - which is Jan 20th 2017 in this instance. 

But the rules were drawn up when physical formats still dominated. They also dropped it early to stop the pirates which I'm all for and it's on Spotify which means a lot of people are paying for it already. Still though a record doesn't feel like it's out until the physical formats are available. Checked and it's on iTunes too?  Anyone any strong opinions in either direction?

I reckon it's cool, and we update the rules for listening and buying habits - but democracy etc...

Sub Question: Does it mean many will update their list? (what I'm really asking here is if I need to re-tally many people's lists)

Good lists lads.  Grumbling Fur for a late run at the top 10!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 5, 2017, 08:58:16 pm »
 1.  LEONARD COHEN: You Want It Darker
 2.  DAVID BOWIE: Blackstar
 3.  CAVERN OF ANTI-MATTER: Void Beats/Invocation Trex
 4.  MATMOS: Ultimate Care II
 5.  REPETITOR: Gde Ces
 6.  FREE NELSON MANDOOMJAZZ: The Organ Grinder
 7.  SWANS: The Glowing Man
 8.  EXPLODED VIEW: Exploded View
 9.  GNOD: Mirror
10. HEDVIG MOLLESTAD TRIO: Black Stabat Mater
11. THE WEDDING PRESENT: Going, Going...

For months I was intending to get my head down for a spot of revision, and some massive catching up in December, but life just got in the way sadly, so I've barfed this up under time pressure (sort of). Does the job tho maybe. Paints a picture for me at least.

I'm not sure if I have a really great album in my top 10, but if I do, then its Leonard's. Sentiment and emotion since his passing have helped to cloud things, but before his death I thought it was immaculate. Time will surely confirm it to be great. The backing singers ... shit me, they're like angels - not in a death sense, just exquisite, and my aural highlight. Like Blackstar, not an album that you just casually put on. What a year for it.

The band I played the most in 2017 was probably Suicide. The album I played the most was Ngozi Family's 'Day of Judgement' (1975), and I'll remember 2017 as the year I discovered 70's African garage/psych/rock (and GarageRockCharge!'s youtube + others). The more you learn, the less you know.

I think for next year's end of year lists we should include some other categories... best album cover, best re-issue, best moment, best gig... list can be endless I guess, or we'll just create a category for no competitive reason at all.

I'm going to take alot of notes next year. Going to try.

So for fun... this is my vote for worst album cover of the year award...

that is fucking appalling mate... there was one more I've seen that needed bringing up but lost it now.

and best?

Enjoyed the album too, but just loved a good simple cover, and reminded me of an early Sarah Morris (artist).

..as for the stewards enquiry... no enquiry needed. Release date is physical release date, or release date as described by their label. So R2D2 is 2017.

« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 09:07:50 pm by Filler. »

Online telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #122 on: January 6, 2017, 12:20:37 pm »
I'm not sure if I have a really great album in my top 10, but if I do, then its Leonard's. Sentiment and emotion since his passing have helped to cloud things, but before his death I thought it was immaculate. Time will surely confirm it to be great. The backing singers ... shit me, they're like angels - not in a death sense, just exquisite, and my aural highlight.

Oh man. Those angels of mercy. First of course on Songs of Leonard Cohen, but for me they come to the height of their powers on The Future (even if I'm Your Man was a great album too). It's perfect on The Future really. It takes good songs and make them divine. One of my favorite albums ever.

In terms of album covers there's been a few good ones. I like both Japanese Breakfast and Blood Orange on the previous page. Best cover for an album that didn't make my top 10 is probably Julia Jacklin's Dont Let The Kids Win.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #123 on: January 6, 2017, 12:40:34 pm »
So for fun... this is my vote for worst album cover of the year award...
Look at Sting there, off to a gig in New York he is  :puke2

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #124 on: January 6, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »
Holy fuck I'm a lazy fucker....barely listened to anything new this year....on my "to listen to" list...

Bon Iver – 22 A Million
Avalanches – Wildflower
Radiohead – A Moon-shaped-pool
The 1975 – I Like It When You Sleep For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It
Bastille – Wild World
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree
A Tribe Called Quest – We Got It from Here … Thank You 4 Your Service
Drake – Views
Kaytranada - 99.9%
Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
Skepta - Konnichiwa
Solange - A Seat at the Table
Kano - Made In The Manor
Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch
Anderson .Paak - Malibu
Parquet Courts - Human Performance

...any other suggestions of major albums I've missed?
Adding in....

Drive-By Truckers - American Band
Ian William Craig - Centres
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
John K. Samson - Winter Wheat
Touché Amoré - Stage Four
Of the ones I could lay my hands on, which was most, I only really like two albums.

Bon Iver – 22 A Million
Kaytranada - 99.9%

Having looked through the thread a bit more I'm going to check out the albums Telekon has in his list.
1. Big Thief - Masterpiece

What an album cover that is! Immediately transported 30 years back in time! 8)
« Last Edit: January 6, 2017, 12:59:07 pm by Titi Camara »

Online telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 6, 2017, 01:01:18 pm »
What an album cover that is! Immediately transported 30 years back in time! 8)

Oohhh, forgot about that one. If that's 30 years I guess Julia Jacklin is about 20 years. Every rec room or basement in Midwest U.S. circa 1996. I'm sure they all had that same wall-to-wall carpet too. X-Files is on a t 7!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #126 on: January 6, 2017, 01:06:31 pm »
Fuck that Childish Gambino album is fucking amazing. A bit late in the day now

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 6, 2017, 03:43:11 pm »
Taking into account his recent passing away, the end song on Cohen's album has a strong impact on me every time I hear it. The beautiful violins that stray from semi-cheerful to sad in a second and then back to hopeful again. The last minute with Cohen's voice...

"I wish there was a treaty we could sign
It's over now, the water and the wine
We were broken then but now we're borderline
And I wish there was a treaty, I wish there was a treaty...between your love and mine"

You could just imagine him muttering those words before his last dying breath.

I have not heard such an impacting end song to an album in a long time.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #128 on: January 6, 2017, 04:00:28 pm »
Look at Sting there, off to a gig in New York he is  :puke2

Gordon is also airbrushed back to a 17 year old, anyone else I'd day he was paying tribute to his past but in Gordon's case it's probably "look at me I'm still gorgeous and authentic, especially in slim fit", despite the millions and the wrinkles.  p.s. that's a lute he's carrying.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2017, 04:04:02 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 6, 2017, 04:02:16 pm »
Taking into account his recent passing away, the end song on Cohen's album has a strong impact on me every time I hear it. The beautiful violins that stray from semi-cheerful to sad in a second and then back to hopeful again. The last minute with Cohen's voice...

And I wish there was a treaty, I wish there was a treaty...between your love and mine"

All things considered I think it's head and shoulders, lyrics, music, timing, voice

The lad was 82
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 6, 2017, 04:08:15 pm »

Yeah that's my favourite track on that LP...and an excellent LP it was.

I'm running out of procrastinating time aren't I, this closes on the 8th ;D

Fuck that Childish Gambino album is fucking amazing. A bit late in the day now

Yeah I liked that on first listen, not got time to digest it properly at the minute though.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #131 on: January 6, 2017, 05:17:18 pm »
Here's me dabbling in a bit of listing. Decided to be legit about it and list the 2016 albums I've listened to the most, in the likely order of most listens. For me, the quality in 2016 was much higher than in 2015, with most albums in the top 10 poised for repeat-listening for years to come.

1 -- BON IVER - 22, a Million
Thrilling but mannered at first, enchanting after multiple listens.

2 -- LEONARD COHEN - You Want it Darker
An absolute kick in the gut. Bittersweetly closes one of the most glorious loops in pop music.

3 -- OPERATORS - Blue Wave
Dan Boekner's best stuff in years, and that's saying a lot.

4 -- ANDERSON .PAAK - Malibu
In part joyous and loose, in part retrospective and referential. Very easy to listen to while still rewarding closer scrutiny.

5 -- WHITNEY - Light Upon the Lake
Beautifully crafted. Embraces without peddling.

6 -- SOLANGE - A Seat at the Table
I tend to get turned off by overtly political music, and I find identity politics particularly problematic in their lack of nuance, but Solange managed to anchor the album in irrefutable and urgent personal truths. 

7 -- A TRIBE CALLED QUEST - We Got it From Here...
And after saying I don't like political albums, I pick ATCQ's latest and last album because it completely obliterated my supposed principles. Excellent stuff.

8 -- RADIOHEAD - A Moon Shaped Pool
No doubt cursed by my familiarity with the band's previous output, but probably their best effort since the early 2000s.

9 -- JULIEN MARCHAL - Insight II
Atmospheric yet quite organic. Settles on motifs that start to feel a little bit lazy by the end, but still very rewarding.

10 - CAT'S EYES - Treasure House
Quite uneven. Feels insubstantial at times but hits the mark beautifully on more than one occasion.

Lauded albums I didn't 'get': Car Seat Headrest's Teens of Denial, Angel Olson's My Woman, Chance the Rapper's Colouring Book and Kaytranada's 99%.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2017, 06:28:31 pm by Alphaville »
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 7, 2017, 04:18:44 am »
I was going to vote for my number one, due to lack of listening to music in 16 but

1 - Bon Iver - 22 A Million
Norah Jones - Day Breaks
Okkervil River - Away
The 1975 - I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It
Band Of Horses - Why Are You Ok

Got more big ones I missed to listened but that will do Thank you
« Last Edit: January 7, 2017, 04:43:28 am by JLStretton »
choose Life.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 7, 2017, 04:38:58 am »
10. Mitski - Puberty 2

9. Bon Iver - 22 Million

8. Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp

7. Justice - Woman

6. Omni - Deluxe

5. Frankie Cosmos - Next thing

4. Parquet Courts - Human Performance

3. Angel Olsen - My Woman

2. Whitney - Light upon the lake

1. David Bowie - Blackstar

I had a lot of trouble putting that together. Mostly because I have such poor recall and started to go back and listen to stuff that I was listening to a lot earlier this year and in the process realising that many albums that I didn't even think were from 2016 turned out to actually be out of this year. Omni and Twin Peaks being two examples. Nevertheless, I just couldn't look past David Bowie's masterpiece in the form of Blackstar. I wrote at the time it released that I was a bit taken aback by the quality of it and didn't quite get to grips with it until after a few listens. And then Bowie's passing from cancer just put so many extra layers onto it, that it was it. I think my no. 1 couldn't have been an easier choice.

It was the rest that I really struggled with in that there were many really good quality albums, but not many that would hold up over the longest time. In that respect, the ones in my top 5 are IMO the ones with the best chance of longevity. I think those are the albums that I can conceivably find myself listening to in a few years time. The albums below that I really really enjoyed too, but ultimately based on my arbitrary evaluation system they ended up lower. Well, what can I say, opinions are like assholes and all.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 7, 2017, 04:48:08 am »
Best album cover:

I'm a sucker for a good painting and I thought this was a delicious little effort with some really neat detailing like the person in the rear view mirror also wearing the same clothing as the person drawing from the front seat of the car, but with a cameraphone instead.

Far too many album covers that I disliked quite a lot. I'm not sure I could list enough of them down here.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 7, 2017, 09:10:18 am »
My favourite LP cover was this:

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #136 on: January 7, 2017, 09:31:00 am »
My favourite cover...

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #137 on: January 7, 2017, 09:38:48 am »
The love for the Bon Iver album annoys  me. So fucking overrated. Album of the year? Jesus Christ.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #138 on: January 7, 2017, 09:55:30 am »
The love for the Bon Iver album annoys  me. So fucking overrated. Album of the year? Jesus Christ.
Never got that guy. I pretty much love everything else on his label as well where he must be the number one cash cow.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 7, 2017, 10:54:02 am »
Why does it annoy you what other people like? I find it so pointless to get annoyed that people enjoy something I don't.

You said the same sort of thing to me when I said RTJ3 was fantastic in the hip hop thread.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #140 on: January 7, 2017, 11:06:48 am »
Why does it annoy you what other people like? I find it so pointless to get annoyed that people enjoy something I don't.

You said the same sort of thing to me when I said RTJ3 was fantastic in the hip hop thread.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Because it gets recognition other albums might deserve instead. For me it almost seems that the Bon Iver album was pre-evaluated before it was released. He`s a favourite among the Pitchfork crowd and it seems like there would be no chance he wouldn`t get a great rating no matter what he released. I just don`t hear what is so fantastic about it. The Paul Pogba of music for the last six months. Where Bon Iver`s pretentious song titles are the equivalent to Pogba`s hairdos and dabbing. And Paul Pogba probably has a higher ceiling within his genre. Make that John Stones. A 40-50 million player when there are players like Matip around on a free.

I like the RTJ3 album by the way. I generally like them. Have listened to them for years. Think it`s a good album, just not what it`s hyped up to be, like it`s a mind blowing thing.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2017, 11:20:06 am by Raaphael »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #141 on: January 7, 2017, 08:11:54 pm »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 7, 2017, 08:34:03 pm »
Anyone heard this?

http://www.andyshauf.com/music/the-party/

Yrs mate, it's cracking. Number 5 on my list. Which will be here soon 8)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #143 on: January 7, 2017, 08:59:39 pm »
Yrs mate, it's cracking. Number 5 on my list. Which will be here soon 8)

Oh - I knew one of the regulars would have heard it :-)

I read about him a while back and meant to check him out but forgot then saw he is touring the States with Julia Jackin.

And the best bonus of all is he is playing Copenhagen when we visit in March.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 7, 2017, 09:18:35 pm »
Cass McCombs - Mangy Love

“Dancing and music are sisters/Sisters are good listeners/Sisters are good kissers”

I first heard a track, maybe a couple of years ago, by Cass McCombs from 2011's 'Wits End', a slow narcotic burner called County Line. An absolutely sublime meditation on lost love, I'm still convinced it's the single best song written in the last ten years. Since then I've been delving into his catalogue and enjoying it immensely, especially 'Big Wheel and others' a White Album style sprawl of varied ideas.

So Cass' 'Mangy Love' came with high expectations and I'm happy to report that it didn't disappoint. As last years single favourite musical moment was the mariachi horn break in Father John Misty's Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins), this years magic moment for me was the pinched harmonics that commence the instrumental section in 'Laughter is the best medicine' - just gorgeous, and the flute gliding by in the background. I love the song as well, just listing ingredients at the start 'Garlic, cayenne, turmeric and lime/Wood spoon to stir into slime' but by the end he just 'add whatever you want, for taste'. He's added all the right ingredients for me, Gregg.

Meticulous songwriting, great accompaniment (in particular the rhythm section, interesting but never less than supportive), strong vocals combine to make an enigmatic yet warm LP, only slightly let down by the anticlimactic closer, I'm a Shoe. One of the things I'm most excited about is the fact I still don't think he's made his masterpiece, though I love his past three albums unconditionally- there's more to come if it all goes right for him.

Lambchop - FLOTUS

"Is there more to this breath that you are taking?"

One of my favourite bands since the turn of the millennium, Lambchop trailered FLOTUS with an 18 minute single, The Hustle. I just loved them even more for this. And it was excellent, and really whetted my appetite for the full length, which didn't let me down. I was initially shocked by the autotune effects on the vocals, I remember putting it on to fall asleep to last thing at night and being confused back into consciousness - and then I had to hear the whole thing. To be honest, it's not that surprising that the 'Chop have taken a more electronic direction - the signs have been there since 2000's 'Is A Woman', which is my favourite record of theirs in fact - full of bubbling loops and twittering sounds but buried very low in the mix, all FLOTUS does is raise them to the forefront.

Wagner's lyrics are as ever both affecting and curiously cryptic, and really for me the stars of the show are the first and last sides - a twelve minute opener and an eighteen minute closer, I'm in. Both justify their length with evolving cycles that always intrigue me. I really like his cover artwork as well.

Hiss Golden Messenger - Heart Like A Levee

"Monday morning/Getting the kids to school"

MC Taylor is on what I would call a roll- after 2014's majestic 'Lateness of Dancers', he's made a record that at its heights might even surpass that excellent LP. It's not groundbreaking, but it feels very earthy. Just because the ground is already broken doesn't mean the soil can't be fertile. I heard those familiar old  open guitar chords strummed and somehow they sound new - it's strange, but Taylor seems to conjure a lot of spirit from the old acoustic.

The opening three tracks particularly grab the attention - Biloxi is like a sped up version of the Rolling Stones' immortal Winter, the best track on Goats Head Soup - right down to the chord sequence and the slide guitar. Tell Her I'm Just Dancing manages to bring a reggae0influenced rhythm into the mix - if anyone knows of good country/reggae hybrids, suggestions please ;D There's gospel in here on As The Crow Flies, which when done well doesn't fail for me.

It's not quite flawless - I could probably do without Ace of Cups Hung Low Band, which reminds me far too much of a similar White Stripes piano riff but that aside, a very good album. It also came with a second 'companion' album called Vestapol which is also very very good. I like to stick it on heading into work, it sets me right for the day somehow, especially strolling on a cold, clear morning through the park.

Daniel Lanois and Rocco DeLuca - Goodbye to Language

""

This beguiling instrumental LP reminds me of the KLFs Chill Out, only focused entirely on the ambient pedal steel guitar. A meditative exercise evocative of oceans and icebergs. Makes an excellent alternative soundtrack to my videogame of the year, 'Abzu' on PS4 as well. Like being submerged. It's a beautiful piece that seems to basically collage together slide noises, long ringing notes and indistinct swells like sonic colours, it's a bit like an aural lava lamp. That may sound a bit shit but I love ambient music so it makes sense to me.

Andy Shauf - The Party

"The magician bends the rules/As the crowd watches his every move"

Put onto this by a mate a few weeks back. He kept going on about it so by the third time I thought I'd better check it out. Fuck me. Brilliant lyrics and arrangements, sublime. "Going to the party/over dressed and under prepared" surely I can relate to this, I'm fucking stupid at arriving on time. I drive myself insane with a fear of being late, White Rabbit style. Great production throughout, varied instrumentation alongside swirling strings, pianos and guitars. His voice is bewitching I find, he does have some funny pronunciation which I like, delving deep to decipher what he's on about.

Kevin Morby - Singing Saw

"I sing 'Who is my creator/Not my mother/Nor my father/But before the universe burst wide open?'"

This was an early contender for LP of the year, apologies Kev but I overplayed you earlier in the year la so you've dropped down. Just great songs, with a definite Dylan vibe, cribbed from the mid to late 60s but done without claustrophobic nostalgia, instead bringing to mind a Western sunset, wide open skies above canyons full of coyotes and characters. Decorated with lovely instrumentation, not least of all the gorgeous titular Singing Saw. Don't think I've heard one since Mercury Rev's 'Deserter's Songs'. Another gem from Dead Oceans.

William Tyler - Modern Country

""
Another instrumental album, with a wider, more colourful pallet than the Lanois LP but no less focused. Reminiscent of a long open road, in places it transplants German cosmic music to Nashville, switching Highway 40 for the autobahn on the LPs intermittently propulsive closer. With catchy melodies on the likes of Kingdom of Jones, Tyler shows his deft touch throughout, with fine fingerpicking and sensitive slide. It reminded me of my favourite bits of Led Zep in a way - the instrumental sections of III or Physical Graffiti's more pastoral moments.

Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

"And I wish there was a treaty we could sign/I do not care who takes this bloody hill/I’m angry and I’m tired all the time"
Poor Laughing Len. The brighter, blacker star of David Bowie also burned out for the final time this year, and will doubtless win more plaudits but for me Cohen's final statement was even more affecting. Announcing the album with title track You Want It Darker, I was keen to delve into the secrets of that voice so deep it was barely there. As ever, brilliant lyrically, and with the music ploughing a similar dark smoky vibe of his last few albums (wasn't the theme tune by far the best bit about True Detective season 2?) I love this record.

Vanishing Twin - Choose Your Own Adventure

"You lift your telescope and aim it at the sky/Finding mysteries outside at night"

I always like to have a few wild cards, and this album fills a spot for me this year. Recommended by a kind soul on here I believe, I've forgotten who. Sorry ;D
Reminds me of female fronted bands par excellence - Stereolab St Etienne or Broadcast, perhaps - this LP is a piece of wax drifting out of time, with a fresh sound harking back to library music, or primitive electronic music of the 60s. It's a bit more science fiction than sci-fi if you catch my drift. Stays exactly the right side of kitsch retro,
Telescope is one of the best songs I heard all year, sheer loveliness, oscillating gurgling bleeping through your speakers.

Drugdealer - The End of Comedy

"I get so lazy/In this sea of nothing/Try to sleep but the thought of what you're missing"

How has he nailed George Harrison's distinctive slide guitar sound so well? I've followed this guy through a number of hilarious stoner aliases - Salvia Plath, Run DMT, and I think this is one of his best efforts yet. On the label Weird World and you can see why he's an apt signing. Again very retro, 60s and early 70s, but filtered through the modern LA haze. Of all the efforts in any given annum that remind me of the Beatles, this is probably my favourite this year, one could even use the old 'Beatlesque' adjective. Though there's also early 70s Carole King style on the title track, and countless other sonic references.

11 would have been the Cavern of Anti Matter LP. It was brilliant but I just didn't get a chance to listen to it all the way through enough to honestly put it in. Sorry guys. You were in the top 5 live shows though.

Random Tracks That Stood Out That Weren't On Any Of These LPs:

Aphex Twin - CIRKLON3 [Kolkhoznaya Mix]
Soft Hair - Lying Has To Stop
Twin Peaks - Heavenly Showers
Ryley Walker- A Sullen Mind (live at Sirius) - 42 minutes of greatness
Hope Sandoval feat. Kurt Vile - Let Me Get There
The Skiffle Players - A Star For You (sneaking more McCombs in there)
Youandewan - Be Good To Me, Poly
Hamilton Leithauser and Rostam - A 1000 Times
Thee Oh Sees - Plastic Plant
Bon Iver - the one that was the single, 22 Soon or something, I'm not typing out his daft titles, I'm spending more keystrokes moaning about it instead
Grouper - I'm Clean Now
Kanye West - Ultralight Beam
Laura J Martin - On The Never Never
Psychic Ills - Fade Me Out
Whitney - No Woman
Sturgill Simpson - Keep It Between The Lines
Steve Gunn - Heavy Sails
Beth Orton - Moon
Snarky Puppy - Gemini
Woods - The Other Side
Ben Watt - Fever Dream
Grumbling Fur - Acid Ali Kahn
Solange - Cranes In The Sky
Okkervil River - Days Floating In The Half-Between

Compilation of the Year:

Day of The Dead. Superb. Highlights - Cass' Dark Star, HGM's Brown Eyed Women, War on Drugs doing Touch of Grey, there were loads of highlights.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 7, 2017, 09:46:48 pm »

Magic! Nice list dude.

Great listing last couple of pages, Cunty, .Filler, Jooney, Vagabond all great lists dudes.  Been procrastinating about writing my own non stop for 2 weeks. Will do it tomorrow I guess.

Just totted everything up to date.  Major upset was on the cards until page 4. Now all the votes count, pretty close.  Doubt my horrible taste will change anything but I guess missing from the usual year in musicateers? Roll call - Raphael, Cloggy, Cassiel, anyone else?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #146 on: January 7, 2017, 09:52:48 pm »
Great list Sam.

Drugdealer and Andy Shauf would be higher on my list had I heard earlier.

Has anyone heard The Lemon Twigs?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 8, 2017, 12:17:50 am »
In:

MichaelA
Still A C☆nt
19th Nervous Title
JerseyKloppite
edge
elzar
zeppelin
ianzg
okkervil
007.lankyguy
Zaffarious
Joga
Zee26
gegenpresser
Alonso_assassin
rafathegaffa
blackbullnova
RedInKorea
SheerMagnetism
smithng
Nick110581
Brooklyn
MOZ
Djozer
telekon
Seebab
gregor
vagabond
filler
Alphaville :wave
JLStretton
jooneyisdagloomy
SamAteTheRedAcid

I did that quickly... hopefully some more to come in. You've got about minus 14 minutes. 23 hours and 46 minutes.

« Last Edit: January 8, 2017, 12:21:17 am by Filler. »

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 8, 2017, 12:35:36 am »
David Bowie - Blackstar
Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

First a confession. I haven’t listened to either record properly yet. I’ve heard bits of both - most of the Bowie just by being around people listening to it and only the last track on the Leonard Cohen album (Ta, Rob!)

The Bowie record happened so close to his death that I immediately went to my happy Bowie place (Young Americans and the Berliners) and stayed there until early March, by which point my wife was pregnant and subsequently I haven’t sat down and listened to it - bought it, just hasn't happened. The Leonard Cohen is just a case of wanting to buy a physical copy which I haven’t gotten around to. 

Anyway - my list.

1 -  Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree.

I’m not a Nick Cave fan. Always liked him as a dude and caught him live a few times, love the rabble of the Birthday Party, enjoyed the filth of Grinderman but never could get into the Nick Cave character that sings with the Bad Seeds. For all the smarts in his lyrics, I’ve always found it a bit actorly - fake sentimentality, fake anger, fake spirituality.  He keeps himself once removed, even from his own black humour and sneer. So I was going to skip this. With his kid dying - I just thought the whole thing would be gross.

But on Skeleton Tree his voice gives it all away, you get to meet the real man.  And it’s kind of awesome - and harrowing, and just sad as fuck. Pitch fucking black actually.

Plus Warren Ellis. Mick Harvey is an incredible player, but him and Nick went stale years ago.  Warren Ellis is one of the best players and arrangers of his generation, the understated doomy funeral atmospherics of the album are all him. A lesson in restraint.

If you’d told me last Christmas - Bowie, Prince and Leonard Cohen would be dead - i’d have not listened to 2 of their albums and I’d live in a world where i thought a Nick Cave album is the best of the year I’d have looked for Jeremy Beadle. But it’s a beautiful album. Sorry for his loss.

2- Shirley Collins - Loadstar

81 year old folk legend records her first album in 40 years in her front room. And it’s great. Full of warmth, and texture and subtle detail - held together by the personality in her voice which has changed dramatically - but can still really spin a yarn. I think in the year in music thread we chatted about what she has been through in the intervening years - well worth checking out her story. I really love it, and her back catalogue is worth every penny too.

3- Grumbling Fur - Furfour

Just a lovely little pop album. Stonery Pysch meets Erasure or The Pet Shop Boys.  Track of the Year in Acid Ali Khan too. Love the vocals the whole way through.

4 - Swans - Glowing Man

Took me a while to let myself include this album. Michael Gira was accused of sexual assault earlier in the year. Still not sure how I feel about it/him. Anyway seems like it was resolved… look into it youself without me gossiping I suppose.

Swans are one of my favourite bands ever. And this is everything music should be, challenging, innovative, indulgent, loud, and rocking and grooving when it gets going.  Pity it’s the end of the current Swans lineup but what a 3 album run. And best gig I’ve ever seen in Porto a couple of years ago.

5 - Cass McCombs - Mangy Love

Read Sam’s argument for it being number one.  I love him (Cass not Sam) - he (Sam not Cass) puts it better than I would.  Bum Bum Bum is a great album opener.

6 - Omni - Deluxe

Nothing much to it.  Glitchy Garage Pop.  But was my swanning around in sunglasses smoking fags in beer gardens album this year.

7. Cavern Of Anti Matter - Void Beat/Innvocation Trex

Wall to Wall krautrock bangers from the brains behind Stereolab. A tiny bit more singing and it would have sneaked up the list as bit. 

8. Sex Swing - Sex Swing

Filthy dirty drony doomy noise. .Filler and AlonsoTheAssassin might like it too. Paddy Considine might stick it on at a party if he had spiked the kettle with ketamine and he wanted to toy with those at the party a bit before killing them. At some point over the next 3 years I will probably pick one of their records as album of the year.

9. Dwarfs Of East Agouza - Bes

When the Quietus list comes out there’s always one band that first you think ‘bullshit - they’ve made that name up’, and then you listen to it and you’re mind is completely blown. If Fela Kuti and the Africa 70 had no brass section, were musically directed by Don Van Vliet and could only play Don Caballero covers - in my head it’d sound like this. Egyptian Jazz.

10. Heron Oblivion - Heron Oblivion

I’m in love with Meg Baird’s voice. She’s sounds like nature, a season. Ethereal, other worldly - yada yada - all the folk, psych rock words. She’s assembled a super group of dudes who know how to rip it up and wail. And they made a great album.

people who also released stuff I enjoyed.

Eternal Champion
Matt Elliot
Chris Forsyth
Oneida, Ryhs Chatham
Magic Pockets
Horns
Spectres
Gnod
Rashad Becker
Darren Hayman
Matmos
Field Music
Parquet Courts
Glenn Jones
Mike And The Melvins
Blood Sport
Zombie, Zombie - and Scott Walker (Both Soundtracks)
Kikagaku Moyo
Radiohead
World’s Dirtiest Sport
Lambchop
Exploded View
Denzel Curry
Solange
Stein Urheim
Black Mountain

Cover of the year.  Love the colours on this. Magic Pockets - Volcano Of The Bleeding Skies

« Last Edit: January 8, 2017, 07:51:39 am by Chip Evans »

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #149 on: January 8, 2017, 01:21:04 am »
Not a complete ten, but here goes:

1. Cass McCombs - Mangy Love
2. Cantoma - Just Landed
3. Mushrooms Project - Rivea Corymbosa
4. Smith and Mudd - Gorthleck
5. Nu Guinea -  Afrobeat Makers Vol 3 (The Tony Allen Experiments)
6. Hope Sandoval - Until The Hunter
7. Wolf Muller and Cass - The Sound of Glades
8. Wilson Tanner - 69

Compilation of the Year - David Holmes - Late Night Tales

Apart from Cass McCombs and the Hope Sandoval albums, I suppose the rest can be loosely defined as Ambient/Electronic.

Bearing in mind that EP's are banned, I didn't include Krakatau's wonderful "Tharsis Montes​/​Apogean Tide" EP. However, it's definitely my favourite cover of the year.

We are Liverpool!

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 8, 2017, 01:44:03 am »
I haven't digested much new music over the last 12 months, so my top 10 is probably a little skewed but I will have a quick go...

1. Jimmy Eat World - Integrity Blues
2. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
3. Against Me - Shape Shift With Me
4. David Bowie - Blackstar
5. Skepta – Konnichiwa
6. Greenday - Revolution Radio
7. Blink 182 - California
8. Christine And The Queens – Chaleur Humaine
9. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here...
10. Cymbals Eat Guitars - Pretty Years

Jimmy end up at#1 by default, it is probably my listened to album this year! There has already been a few albums I want to check out based on some of the posts before mine, cheers!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 8, 2017, 01:32:52 pm »
1. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
2. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
3. King Creosote - Astronaut Meets Appleman
4. Heron Oblivion - Heron Oblivion
5. Amiina - Fantomas
6. Bombino - Azel
7. Ronnie Earl & and The Broadcasters - Maxwell Street
8. Moussa Diakité - Doncomodja
9. Free Nelson Mandoomjazz - The Organ Grinder
10. Wolfgang Muthspiel Quintet - Rising Grace
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 8, 2017, 02:21:56 pm »
4. Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp

A bit too short for its own good. This album includes my favourite drumming along with some of the coolest guitar parts this year. Some great pop gems as well.
This is magic! Love it! 8) :wave

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 8, 2017, 02:24:41 pm »
1. Bon Iver – 22 A Million
2. Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp
3. Kaytranada - 99.9%

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 8, 2017, 03:55:22 pm »
1. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
2. David Bowie - Blackstar
3. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3
4. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
5. Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
6. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
7. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
8. Angel Olsen - MY WOMAN
9. PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolotion Project
10. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

I hadn't realised how many good albums came out this year until I started writing this. Had to leave out Frank Ocean, A Tribe Called Quest, Andrew Bird, Bon Iver, Eleanor Friedberger, Dinosaur Jr., Steve Gunn, Grumbling Fur etc. and I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few.

Online telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 8, 2017, 06:04:11 pm »
1. Bon Iver – 22 A Million
2. Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp
3. Kaytranada - 99.9%

Add two more to make it count.  ;)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #156 on: January 8, 2017, 07:50:49 pm »
             1. Mitski – Puberty 2

2. David Bowie – Blackstar

3. Whitney - Light Upon the Lake

4. Angel Olsen – My Woman

5. Cass McCombs – Mangy Love

6. Jenny Hval – Blood Bitch

7. William Tyler - Modern Country

8. Solange - A Seat at the Table

9. Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

10. Weyes Blood - Front Row Seat to Earth

11. Glenn Jones – Fleeting
12. Japanese Breakfast – Psychopomp
13. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
14. Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker
15. Drive-By Truckers - American Band
16. Cian Nugent – Night Fiction
17. Kevin Morby - Singing Saw
18. DIIV - Is the Is Are
19. Twin Peaks - Down In Heaven
20. ANOHNI – Hopelessness
« Last Edit: January 8, 2017, 07:53:07 pm by Lastrador »

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 8, 2017, 08:39:53 pm »
1. Leonard Cohen-You Want It Darker

Having avoided but admired the man for many years, I was saddened by his passing and taken by his farewell. Class.

2. Lambchop-Flotus

Loved Lambchop for years but found this their first album I can sit and listen to all the way through in one go, love it

3. Gregory Alan Isakov-Gregory Alan Isakov and the Colorado Symphony Orchestra

Would pay an arm and a leg to see this one performed out in the Colorado desert (as has happened)

4. Lisa Hannigan-At Swim

After missing her post Damien Rice career, discovered the whole of it in one year as well as getting to see her live at the Arts Club

5. Drive By Truckers-American Band

Sucker for driving guitar

6. Chris Pureka-Back in the Ring

Shyest person I've ever met when I spoke with her back in 2014 (supporting Gregory Alan Isakov), intense and up against the world but wonderful

7. Radiohead-Moon Shaped Pool

First thing I've liked properly since 'The Bends'

8. Iggy Pop-Post Pop Depression

Gets in because of Josh Homme and livening up the otherwise dead 'Later'

9. Case/lang/veirs-Case/lang/viers

For the gems in there and Neko Case's voice

10. David Bowie-Blackstar

Went out like he came in with Starman

Best cover

Wilco-Schmilco

Worst

or

Given I've already ripped the backout of GordonSumner
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 8, 2017, 09:17:25 pm »
1. Light Upon the Lake - Whitney
2. 22, A Million - Bon Iver
3. Heart Like a Levee - Hiss Golden Messenger
4. Don't Let the Kids Win - Julia Jacklin
5. Blackstar - David Bowie
6. My Woman - Angel Olsen
7. Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
8. The Hope Six Demolition Project - PJ Harvey
9. Memories of the Future - She Drew the Gun  Not sure why this didn't get much, if any coverage on this thread; a Merseyside band. This track is so powerful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q15_m1XEdAI
10. Going, Going - The Wedding Present.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: 2016 Rawk Album Of The Year - *** voting closed at midnight tonight. ***
« Reply #159 on: January 8, 2017, 10:50:41 pm »
The window has SLAMMED shut!