Author Topic: Julian Cope and The Teardrop Explodes  (Read 2932 times)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Julian Cope and The Teardrop Explodes
« on: June 11, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »
Slightly surprised that the RAWK mind has failed to create a Cope thread before now, but here goes.

Julian publishes his first work of fiction this month - One Three One.

"When drugged-up Time Traveller and '80s musical burnout Rock Section and his fellow English hooligans get kidnapped during Italia '90, there are ruinous implications. But now Rock has returned to Sardinia one final time to settle some scores and uncover the truth. He believes only Dutch cult leader Judge Barry Hertzog, still incarcerated on the island for the crime, can provide the answers. But through prescription drugs, the persistence of his driver Anna and a quest for the hidden ancient doorways strewn around Sardinia's only highway, the 131, Rock will discover that a greater truth awaits him.

Judgement, consequences, hoodwinking on a grand scale, Gnosticism versus agnosticism ... 131 is a Gnostic whodunit that pursues readers' memories of all previous fiction into a peat bog and impales them with seven-foot-long pikes".

It sounds like a riot, and essential reading for long term fans. He's had an enormous, massively unquantifiable influence on my life and I cannot wait for this to land.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Julian Cope and The Teardrop Explodes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 02:29:56 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xYyeaYLR0Yo?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xYyeaYLR0Yo?fs=1</a>

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »
That sounds fantastic, Michael. Going to wishlist that right now.

I just saw this and it looks great, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Japrocksampler-Post-War-Japanese-Their-Minds/dp/0747593035/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402494085&sr=8-3&keywords=julian+cope

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:53:50 pm by red mongoose »
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:41:07 pm »
Cope fan here, count me in. What an excellently skewed worldview he has. We need more like him, even if I'm not arsed about some of his excursions into heavy rock, he's still a borderline genius.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 02:45:12 pm »

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 06:49:26 pm »
St. Julian. I'll read. Listened to Wilder 2 days ago, for the first time in maybe 10 years. Today you post this.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Online Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:10:01 pm »
His autobiography is one of the best written by a musician, hilarious in parts.

Even if your not into his stuff it's well worth a read.
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:24:36 pm »
i have peggy suicide, that song beautiful love was great. will dig it out again.

first heard of him with world shut yer mouth, that was great too. did he go mad off his with drugs and stuff. this was all preinternet days, so only the NME to go on.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 11:13:56 pm »
As regular in Eric's in the late Seventies the Teardrops ( along with Echo) where almost the house band..often tagged on as support group to many visiting bands...loved their early singles on Zoo ( which I still cherish...have all the Zoo singles..are they worth thousands!!?..alas probably not) , but slightly disappointed in the first LP ( production in the main)..the Bouncing Babies single  just sounds so Liverpool music of that era...happy days...oh! and Treason is the bona fide classic single despite all the fame with Reward.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:38 am »
I love Copey. Saw him a few times in the late '80's at the Royal Court. Bona fide raving (not drowning) genius. His book "Head/Head On" is well worth a read, if only for the lunacy of the "sock" game. I've got a photo-copied version of his Krautrocksampler book sampler as well, must dig that for a read again.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 10:27:01 pm »
As an old fart I recall fondly the madness of the Club Zoo era. Truly mad times, and somewhat 'esoteric' shows. My best memory of the Teardrops was listening to 'When I Dream', for the first time, on Jonnie Jason's late night radio Merseyside show. Magical tune, and an evocative time.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:00:09 am »

The teardrop explodes were magnificent, but why did Gary Dwyer wear the Arsenal top?

They should make a film about the crucial 3. Just the 3 of them  talking and going the shops and that.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:46:37 pm by kavah »

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:47 am »
I read One Three One on holiday - it's a total head wrecker of a thing to read on the beach or by the pool. A kidnap revenge story, driven on by Italia 90 and the Madchester/rave scene, including weird chapters on Hillsborough which left me wiping my eyes on my beach towel, and simultaneously raising my eyebrows at some of the views expressed. It's a total mash up of all of his many obsessions - heavy rocks, heavy metal, heavy drugs, heavy chicks, prog rock, pop culture, pills, thrills and...snarking at his contemporaries. It's one for the Cope purists, I think.

I didn't find this link before I went away, but it contains a link for a download for tracks from the key bands and characters in the story. That thread on Head Heritage site also includes links to various bandcamp sites for the bands in the book. I'm going to read it again with the soundtrack - Rock Section lives on Ferna Branca for the duration of the story, so I picked up a bottle in duty free yesterday and will be commencing my experiments with it this weekend - with some trepidation. 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:29:47 am by MichaelA »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 11:20:21 am »
No idea who or what he is but the premise for the book sounds great so I'm in! Need a new book as I'm curently on a re-read!

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:17 am »
No idea who or what he is but the premise for the book sounds great so I'm in! Need a new book as I'm curently on a re-read!

Don't blame me if you don't enjoy it! Cope's a visionary/genius/nutcase/drug casualty and often all of them simultaneously, depending upon your point of view, and the time of day. You might want to read the review and interview here before you splash out.  :wave

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 11:32:31 am »
Don't blame me if you don't enjoy it! Cope's a visionary/genius/nutcase/drug casualty and often all of them simultaneously, depending upon your point of view, and the time of day. You might want to read the review and interview here before you splash out.  :wave
Love a bit of odd me mate. Irvine Welsh was a fave during my formative years. Thinking they may be cut from a similar cloth? Football, drugs, raves, "swedging", booze and depravity!

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 11:35:59 am »
Love a bit of odd me mate. Irvine Welsh was a fave during my formative years. Thinking they may be cut from a similar cloth? Football, drugs, raves, "swedging", booze and depravity!

Yes - Welsh is a decent reference - Marabou Stork Nightmares style weirdness, and amazingly smart use of language. :wave

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 11:40:42 am »
Yes - Welsh is a decent reference - Marabou Stork Nightmares style weirdness, and amazingly smart use of language. :wave
My favourite Welsh book! Looks like we have a winner! :wave

Signed first edition if anyone is that way inclined...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Julian-Cope-One-Three-One-1st-1st-2014-UK-SIGNED-Fine-131-/141336097478?pt=Antiquarian_Books_UK&hash=item20e849b2c6
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:46:12 am by Titi Camara »

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 03:17:21 pm »
An interview on the Quietus by Stewart Lee - sums up everything I would want to say about the book, and Cope, probably.

And this site is an official companion to the book. I'm going to have to read it again with the additional support - Stewart Lee admits he never really got to grips with the overlapping stories, and Cope suggests that he deliberately fucked up the narrative - "I don't want people attaching themselves to me who are lost. I want them to already be in some way on a trip. It's demanding but great art is demanding. I really wanted to write something that people could complete themselves." Get stuck in.  :wave

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 09:20:42 am »
Snip
Love Stewart Lee.....
"And anyway, you don't cut mustard, you spread it"

Bought this yesterday, looking forward to getting it, although I've not long started another book! Will have to get some marathon reading sessions on the go! Hopefully it'll be nice in the garden this weekend :wave

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 12:08:41 am »
Saw him this evening at the Edinburgh International Book Festival and he was captivating, engaging, superbly entertaining. One of my favourite things on the planet.

Online Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 05:01:34 pm »
The interview with him in this months mojo is a very entertaining read.
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 06:29:15 pm »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 03:26:48 pm »