Author Topic: Pointless  (Read 46755 times)

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
Pointless
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:02:07 pm »
Anybody else like this BBC 2 quiz show hosted by Alexander Amstrong? (4.30-5.15)
"Quiz in which contestants try to score as few points as possible by plumbing the depths of their general knowledge to come up with the answers no-one else can think of"
Some right thick bastards on there. The four eyed geeky looking fella is quite funny though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:12:05 pm by Lenin »
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
Re: Pointless (BBC 2)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:11:23 pm »
Watched it for ages, really enjoy it.  Some of the questions are a bit stupid but most are really good and make you think.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 07:24:12 pm »
Did they change the format of this? I could have sworn the the contestants used to have to give their own answers all the way through the show, rather than the current format, where it is multiple choice after the first round.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:25:12 pm »
I think it always has been mulitple choice for a few rounds and your own answers for a few.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »
Did they change the format of this? I could have sworn the the contestants used to have to give their own answers all the way through the show, rather than the current format, where it is multiple choice after the first round.

Yes, you are right. It wasn't multiple choice in the first series. I enjoy it but sometimes think they head off to the special schools to find 100 people to answer the set questions.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:56:59 pm »
First series was good, now they give you the answers it's a bit shit... plus they rejected me at the audition the bastards!!!
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:58:12 pm »
After getting a pointless answer too, wasn't happy.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:04:14 pm »
First series was good, now they give you the answers it's a bit shit... plus they rejected me at the audition the bastards!!!
After getting a pointless answer too, wasn't happy.
I thought it was a lot better, the original format. Still watch it every day though.
Ooh, what was your pointless answer?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:31:16 pm »
I thought it was a lot better, the original format. Still watch it every day though.
Ooh, what was your pointless answer?

The question was to name one of the gladiators from either first or second time round. I went for Nightshade. The first question we got though was "name one of the ingredients that makes up a traditional lasagne" my mate answered oregano I think which was wrong and we got 100 points, but I turned it around with the nightshade answer :D

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »
The question was to name one of the gladiators from either first or second time round. I went for Nightshade. The first question we got though was "name one of the ingredients that makes up a traditional lasagne" my mate answered oregano I think which was wrong and we got 100 points, but I turned it around with the nightshade answer :D
Did they say why you failed the audition? Are you not very photogenic or summat?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:23:40 pm »
Did they say why you failed the audition? Are you not very photogenic or summat?

I think it may have been a demographic thing, all bar three couples were around the same age, white and male, it was the others that got through.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: July 4, 2011, 12:47:01 pm »
new series tonight on bbc1 at 5.15

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #12 on: July 4, 2011, 01:28:57 pm »
'Celebrity' Editions on all week :-\

4 Jul 2011
17:15
BBC One
Episode 1
1/50. Stars including John Craven and Julia Bradbury :P take part in a special edition of the quiz.
5 Jul 2011
BBC One
Episode 2
2/50. Ann Widdecombe and Craig Revel Horwood take part in a special edition of the quiz.
6 Jul 2011
BBC One
Episode 3
3/50. Colin Jackson and Suzanne Packer take part in a special edition of the quiz.
7 Jul 2011
BBC One
Episode 4
4/50. Tom O'Connor and Denise Lewis take part in a special edition of the quiz.
8 Jul 2011
BBC One
Episode 5
5/50. Celebrities including Dick and Dom take part in a special edition of the quiz.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 4, 2011, 01:38:14 pm »
Love this show - the move to BBC1 shows it's obviously very popular too. There was a time when a show like this would get a much better time-slot on the Beeb though - 7pm onwards.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #14 on: July 4, 2011, 02:09:26 pm »
Decent quiz show

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #15 on: July 5, 2011, 05:59:41 pm »
Ha! I got all 3 pointless answers in the final round (went for Monaco, Leverkusen and Monchengladbach)! Was surprised that they were all pointless tho!

Offline mark s

• gone fishin'
  • Legacy Fan
  • used to be a regular but now just irregular
« Reply #16 on: July 5, 2011, 06:04:15 pm »
Ha! I got all 3 pointless answers in the final round (went for Monaco, Leverkusen and Monchengladbach)! Was surprised that they were all pointless tho!

I had two St Etienne and Bruges but went for Leeds for the third one.
the anfield shrine - those were the days my friend

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #17 on: July 6, 2011, 05:30:53 pm »
Is that lembit Opik new bird?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #18 on: July 6, 2011, 05:55:42 pm »
Going with China, Congo and Saudi Arabia.

Haha shite.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2011, 05:58:27 pm by Rob K »
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 05:56:42 pm »
Stop naming Kevin Costner films, the question was Kevin Spacey films...

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 05:58:51 pm »
Enjoy watching this show, they could be a little less stingey with the prize money but it tends to rollover a lot I suppose.
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 06:52:31 pm »
Anyone see the episode where they had to name a two word Beatles song, and they went for Peggy Sue?

Fuckwits.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 11:30:43 am »
the question about types of lettuce was a new high for the show i think ;D

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »
I would have won with Ewan MacIntosh (Big Keith) :)

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 11:47:17 am »
First round, first question:
"Name a U2 top 40 hit."
No one got a correct answer!
Unbelievable Jeff.

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 12:08:22 pm »
I liked it the other week when two pairs got 200 points and had to have a tie break.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 12:20:45 pm »
First round, first question:
"Name a U2 top 40 hit."
No one got a correct answer!
Unbelievable Jeff.
fuckk

Offline Bethany_LFC

• Anny Roader
  • Seconds away from Disaster...
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 12:52:02 pm »
Was watching some thing on CBBC where a group of kids are trapped in a tower and they have to complete challenges on each level to escape.

What really caught my attention was when a near physical fight broke out between the kids.

Suprised they showed it to be honest.

I will be watching again if I get the chance, if I can remember the name. There's nothing like a kid fight. FIIIIIGHT!

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »
Anyone watching? Loved the Rick Astley thing :D

Offline lfcgeez

• aaaah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • sweet as
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 06:09:12 pm »
Best (worst?!) answer I've seen was on the show a few weeks ago. The question was along the lines of 'name a County currently playing in the English Cricket County Championship'...

Without hesitation this dumb tart answers - 'Twickenham'

Wronger than wrong.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in" - Bill Shankly

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 06:44:03 pm »
Anyone see it today? 2nd round question was football team's nicknames.
One of the answers was Red Devils. It got 50 points. Armstrong said he was shocked it wasn't higher. The bloke with glasses said its because a lot of other teams have the same nickname. EG Liverpool. Numpty.  :o :o

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarįs Solo.
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 06:59:24 pm »
One of the answers was Red Devils. It got 50 points. Armstrong said he was shocked it wasn't higher. The bloke with glasses said its because a lot of other teams have the same nickname. EG Liverpool. Numpty.  :o :o

:o

Hope someone put him right.

Missed it today but I've started watching this since it moved to BBC1, hadn't heard of it before. Quite enjoy it, some of the topics are a bit obscure for me though. Don't think I've come up with a pointless answer yet. :-[
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 07:06:17 pm »
The football questions I normally get a pointless out of it. Other than that the geography ones about flags or countries I do alright on. Loved the 'Things Rick Astley Would Never Do' question a few weeks ago.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 10:43:18 pm »

You're doing Richard a disservice there. He said a lot of non-football followers might not know which team would be called The Red Devils as a few teams, like Liverpool, play in red. Richard is never wrong.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:54 am »
You're doing Richard a disservice there. He said a lot of non-football followers might not know which team would be called The Red Devils as a few teams, like Liverpool, play in red. Richard is never wrong.
Ha! Spot on. Just watched it and my first thought was 'clueless prick'. But you're right, when the low score was commented on by Armstrong, he said 'Yeah, the Hammers are obviously West Ham, but the Red Devils could be other teams, such as Liverpool'. He was looking at it from the point of view of someone who was guessing.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 05:14:04 am »
Two of my housemates from Uni won this. Aired a month or so ago, around £1500 prize money.

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 01:31:07 pm »

Cheers for the correction. Must have misheard what he said.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 05:24:25 pm »
question now is any player to have been in england's world cup squads in 2002, 2006 and 2010

must be loads of pointless answers

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 05:26:14 pm »
id say stephen warnock

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 05:30:26 pm »
danny mills, darius vassell, owen hargreaves, trevor sinclair