Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 835852 times)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #2120 on: November 18, 2014, 12:22:42 am »
Looked on the theatres but couldnt find any of the Hopie.
Kill the humourless

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2121 on: November 23, 2014, 12:38:57 am »
One for the twitter users this. Just stumbled across an account posting loads of old lpool pics that I've not seen before. They are mainly 70's and 80's but some cracking old ones too.

@AngelJCake

(Nowt to do with me, just passing it on!)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2122 on: November 23, 2014, 05:41:25 pm »
One for the twitter users this. Just stumbled across an account posting loads of old lpool pics that I've not seen before. They are mainly 70's and 80's but some cracking old ones too.

@AngelJCake

Enjoyed that.
Especially the pictures of The Stones at the Empire and Funkadelic in front of St Georges Hall (I think)
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline RJane89

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2123 on: November 23, 2014, 10:44:54 pm »
http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/2014/10/liverpool-schools.html

Old school photos website, a superb collection.
Sent to me coincidently a few days after I'd just scanned my pic of our school football team and our school class at Sudley Road.

Just shown the parents this site, father found himself on one of the pictures which he'd never seen since he moved away from L6 a good 40 years ago. Thanks for sharing! Now to try hunt down a clearer more original version of it, emailed them to trace the person who uploaded it for him.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2124 on: November 24, 2014, 09:48:40 am »

@AngelJCake

Saw this on there...

Looks like nothing ever changes!!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2125 on: November 26, 2014, 12:30:37 pm »
That AngelJCake twitter feed is a goldmine
Saw this on it yesterday - 84 Big Ears homecoming parade..down the Aigburth Road...a 14 year old me on the far left!
+6 ticket exchange

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2126 on: November 26, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »
That AngelJCake twitter feed is a goldmine
Saw this on it yesterday - 84 Big Ears homecoming parade..down the Aigburth Road...a 14 year old me on the far left!
It's an unbelievable feed mate, she must spend her life on the scanner :)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #2127 on: November 27, 2014, 10:00:59 pm »
Circa 69/70 there was big cub scout parade at St Georges Hall....hundreds of Cubs lined up on steps , I was one, I looked down the line and someone took a picture at the end..the next day there is was in the Echo/Post.. a long line of Cubs looking forward but me leaning forwards looking at the photographer...would love to get that , suppose I could contact the Echo....if they aren't too busy reporting more shootings/drug raids.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2128 on: November 29, 2014, 12:58:57 pm »
A lad in work was asking if I could find an old photo of Shallot St in Dingle. I don't think the road exists any more.

Anyone?

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2129 on: November 29, 2014, 01:14:36 pm »
Came across this Yo! Liverpool user on Twitter ,has some great old photos from Liverpool come up on there. Just thought I'd pass on the info incase someone wants to take a look at it.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2130 on: November 29, 2014, 02:31:17 pm »
A lad in work was asking if I could find an old photo of Shallot St in Dingle. I don't think the road exists any more.

Anyone?

Not really John, but if he goes on this site and searches for Maud St. then he'll be able to see the roof on a few of the houses in Shallot St on the far right.

http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/p/l8.html
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2131 on: November 30, 2014, 10:08:44 am »
Thanks TK.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2132 on: November 30, 2014, 01:03:38 pm »
You're not getting any more John, thatShallot.  ::)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2133 on: November 30, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »
 ;D

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2134 on: December 1, 2014, 06:13:23 pm »
There are a fair few on this link to Yo that I hadn't seen before.  More than a couple of 'where's that?' as well.

Number 55 is of local interest.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?108313-Even-More!-Old-Pictures-of-Liverpool-Already-Shared-on-YO!-Liverpool-s-Twitter-Liverpool-OldPictures
« Last Edit: December 1, 2014, 06:14:58 pm by Tsar Kastik »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2135 on: December 1, 2014, 06:35:45 pm »
...Number 55 is of local interest.

Looks just post war that Tsar, the lamp posts still appear to be painted with blackout white.

I wonder when The Park, just about all that's left of that scene these days, lost that curved detail on the top corner? (unless I'm way off...)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2136 on: December 1, 2014, 08:15:59 pm »
I like your date Gulley, looks good.

Hadn't noticed that detail on the top of the Park - I think it's too high up and too small to be a clock.

When I saw this one (on the right of the 6th row down in the link below) I was surprised at how narrow the Strand was before the Goree was got shut of.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?108312-Old-Pictures-of-Liverpool-Already-Shared-on-YO!-Liverpool-s-Twitter-Liverpool-OldPictures

« Last Edit: December 2, 2014, 09:46:55 am by Tsar Kastik »

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2137 on: December 4, 2014, 03:36:54 pm »
Absolutely brilliant one on AngelJCake feed last night(well there are tens of them) but this one tickled me

Some daft bastard was taking Dolphins to municipal pools in 1971
This one from Norris Green Baths

Totally made somebody's year her posting that as one of the replies is along the lines of I Was there and nobody has ever believed me until you posted that picture!!!
That's a 40 odd year itch scratched out ;D
+6 ticket exchange

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2138 on: December 4, 2014, 03:57:41 pm »
Absolutely brilliant one on AngelJCake feed last night(well there are tens of them) but this one tickled me

Totally made somebody's year her posting that as one of the replies is along the lines of I Was there and nobody has ever believed me until you posted that picture!!!
I remember that, also saw the dolphins at Queensie baths in Walton with the school
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2139 on: December 4, 2014, 06:18:44 pm »
Is there any way of making an interactive map where, if we click on a part, we can see where the pictures originate?  Like if I were to have an old photo of Road X in Garston, what if there was an online map I could click on to either recreate and position where the image is or, at the very least, the point in time and space it was taken?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2140 on: December 4, 2014, 06:57:18 pm »
I remember that, also saw the dolphins at Queensie baths in Walton with the school
Begs the question
How the fuck do you take dolphins around the country?
Little bastards would have broken all the no running/no bombing/no petting rules too...
+6 ticket exchange

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2141 on: December 4, 2014, 08:11:31 pm »
Begs the question
How the fuck do you take dolphins around the country?
Little bastards would have broken all the no running/no bombing/no petting rules too...
Took me ages to work out what petting was. it wasn't taking Dolphins or any other pets the baths was it ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2142 on: December 5, 2014, 02:47:55 pm »
Took me ages to work out what petting was. it wasn't taking Dolphins or any other pets the baths was it ;D
+6 ticket exchange

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2143 on: December 5, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »

Your not going to believe this for years I've told people I seen dolphins at Norris green baths , no ones ever believed me and I often wondered as an 8 year old had I dreamt it ...made up seeing them pics

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #2144 on: December 5, 2014, 05:47:07 pm »
 Liverpool Zoological Park in Elmswood Road..... Opening in 1932 and closing in 1938. It had a varied but small collection of animals and birds – the star attraction being a chimpanzee named Mickey which escaped in 1938 and attacked (not seriously) a number of keepers and visitors before being shot at a nearby house. The zoo followed Mickey into oblivion shortly afterwards and the land was sold off for housing. The final page in the brochure is a full-page advert stating:

"All Living Specimens of Animals, Birds and Reptiles on Exhibition at the Liverpool Zoological Gardens Can be Purchased. Apply for Prices to the Office."

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/?s=rice+lane+zoo   ________    I should probably have left this.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2014, 06:54:14 pm by princeoftherocks »
dios esta buena

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2145 on: December 6, 2014, 12:41:24 am »
Liverpool Zoological Park in Elmswood Road..... Opening in 1932 and closing in 1938. It had a varied but small collection of animals and birds – the star attraction being a chimpanzee named Mickey which escaped in 1938 and attacked (not seriously) a number of keepers and visitors before being shot at a nearby house. The zoo followed Mickey into oblivion shortly afterwards and the land was sold off for housing. The final page in the brochure is a full-page advert stating:

"All Living Specimens of Animals, Birds and Reptiles on Exhibition at the Liverpool Zoological Gardens Can be Purchased. Apply for Prices to the Office."

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/?s=rice+lane+zoo   ________    I should probably have left this.
That is absolutely astonishing mate, I'm blown by that map. My mum lived just below Rosemont Rd at the time and she always told me & my sister about this incomprehensible zoo and the supposed escape of a monkey in an area - which was highly populated when I grew up.
Brilliant mate.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2146 on: December 7, 2014, 11:24:19 pm »
For those who don't know it, the original entrance gatehouse for the Rice Lane zoo is still there, right next to the plough on Rice Lane.

Here's a couple of photo's I took back in 2011, when the Plough was still shut. It's been reopened for a couple of years now.

In the first photo, you can see the gatehouse, it's the single storey building with the curved roof on the imediate left of the picture.

In the second picture, you can clearly see the relief above the doorway with birds, and monkeys in the detail.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2014, 11:28:09 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2147 on: December 16, 2014, 07:35:56 pm »
Whats peoples opinions on the old picture houses dotted around Liverpool , they seem to have been empty for years and derelict . Drove past one on the end of park road today and was always in the Carlton in tuebrook
as a kid . But just can't see what could be done with them these days .

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2148 on: December 18, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »
For those who don't know it, the original entrance gatehouse for the Rice Lane zoo is still there, right next to the plough on Rice Lane.

Here's a couple of photo's I took back in 2011, when the Plough was still shut. It's been reopened for a couple of years now.

In the first photo, you can see the gatehouse, it's the single storey building with the curved roof on the imediate left of the picture.

In the second picture, you can clearly see the relief above the doorway with birds, and monkeys in the detail.

The gateway was used as the entrance to Dunlops factory till it closed and was demolished in the eighties I think.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #2149 on: December 21, 2014, 06:26:05 pm »
Whats peoples opinions on the old picture houses dotted around Liverpool , they seem to have been empty for years and derelict . Drove past one on the end of park road today and was always in the Carlton in tuebrook

There's one on the edge of dingle and allerton.  I know of someone who owns the building and rents out the roofspace for mobile antennae.  He get's about 20,000 every year - for each one!
dios esta buena

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #2150 on: December 21, 2014, 08:56:50 pm »
Did someone say, 'new york'?
dios esta buena

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2151 on: December 21, 2014, 10:47:35 pm »
Funny enough, I always thought the same of this one a bit further up the Strand.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2152 on: December 21, 2014, 11:11:59 pm »

There's one on the edge of dingle and allerton.  I know of someone who owns the building and rents out the roofspace for mobile antennae.  He get's about 20,000 every year - for each one!
Don't quite understand edge of Dingle and Allerton, do you mean AIgburth?

Is that the Gaumond on Park Road? No idea whats happening there, looks like a great building. Found some (modern) pictures from inside here. And also some old ones here: http://picturepalace.org/cinemas/dingle/
Another one I go past quite often is Park Palace on Mill Street - looks proper shabby now.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2153 on: December 21, 2014, 11:48:06 pm »
as a kid .

It's tragic.

My first cinema experience was at the Carlton back in '59 seeing Tom Thumb.

When I look at the state of it now it's really sad, but you're right, what can these buildings be used for these days.

Urbex

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #2154 on: December 23, 2014, 07:00:14 pm »
Don't quite understand edge of Dingle and Allerton, do you mean AIgburth?

Yeah, that's the one, man.  I meant to say, on the edge of dingle and aigburth road.
dios esta buena

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2155 on: December 23, 2014, 08:47:19 pm »
The Angeljcake twitter account has gone, such a shame, there was some brilliant stuff appearing on there.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #2156 on: December 30, 2014, 07:31:48 pm »
The Angeljcake twitter account has gone, such a shame, there was some brilliant stuff appearing on there.
Still showing for me :- https://twitter.com/AngelJCake
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2157 on: December 31, 2014, 01:50:46 pm »
Still showing for me :- https://twitter.com/AngelJCake
Yeah, it down for a couple of days I think.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2158 on: December 31, 2014, 02:07:43 pm »
Our kids after a picture of him and other Garston urchins with legendary Portuguese keeper Costa Perreira from the 60's.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2159 on: December 31, 2014, 07:50:11 pm »
Our kids after a picture of him and other Garston urchins with legendary Portuguese keeper Costa Perreira from the 60's.
There may even be one knocking around of your kid in the 40's :)