Author Topic: Watch: John Power singing Poor Scouser Tommy  (Read 24888 times)

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Watch: John Power singing Poor Scouser Tommy
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2010, 04:07:15 am »
just redone my YNWA, changed a few pics, and 'borrowed' one of RAWKS  :-X  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJyDqZsTNyE

if someone asked me today what were the words of PST in 1980.. i would like to think i would know.. but some confusion comes along inbetween, and what i thought was right in 1980, i corrected it in 1990... and it could be possible that what i think now and thought in 1990, would be placed on 1980.
if someone asked me was it libyan sun, i would have to say yes.. if someone asked me if it was arabian, that would confuse me lol.

little trickles come back now and then.. maybe my memory wants to remember if i did actually hear it myself in the 78-79 season or maybe 79-80.  i'm not going to force out something that is not there or imagine it to be there.. i recall flies around in the thousands and thinking to myself 'what's that all about'?

if someone asked me what songs were sung during my first liverpool match in 78-79, i would say, well we had our seats in the front row of the kemlyn down by the corner flag, liverpool scored in the first half at the anfield road end and dalglish had a goal disallowed before it. i remember a quiet drone of YNWA, bit of a dalglish clap clap clap. i remember mick mills having a run around an hour before for a fitness test.. and i think bob paisley was presented with a bottle of bells.
erm, jimmy case going down the wing and crossing in front of me, taking a chunk out from the grass.  now, my imagination is playing on me, i am thinking of a drone of phil neal to the tune of amazing grace.  phil tho..m..pson before the game.. if someone asked me if they sung we're on the march with paisleys army, i'd have to say fk knows lmoa..

if someone asked me what songs were sung two weeks later at the arsenal game, i'd have to hold my hand up and say i cannot remember, but i do remember the 3 second half goals at the kopend cos i was at the front nearly level with the left hand post at the anfield road end  :P

southampton i was in the kop a month later and phil neal scoered in each half and i honestly cannot remember much singing going on even though i was towards the back of the middle... and i was only 15 lol.

come 1979 against wba, i decided to go into the paddock and was behind the old dugout. cos i didn't know where i was, i was stuck behind ron atkinsons and not ours.  i remeber forest away cos someone was singing those were the days...cos i only heard it on the telly. and chants aimed at trevor francis of what a waste of money. and we all agree, oggy is better than shilton. arsenal away, and tottenham home was a better atmosphere. oh and the emlyn hughes game. palace away, bristol city away

i suppose my first singing session was home to ipswich oct 1980 when i lost my voice.  when portsmouth played in the league cup, that was the first experience of being outsung at home. they had the whole end and i never see that before. i thought huh the cheek.. 1980 seemed to be more atmospheric somehow.
can i have my old name back please?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2010, 06:38:10 pm »
I remember the lad that handed them out now, proper Cockney East Endah

is it possible that the cockney handing them out was not the guy who typed them out or written them out? he was merely passing them around.

if he was the writer, how did he get hold of the in info. i hope he wasn't bevied when writing down what was said on the phone from whoever was speaking to him or we be in a right mess lol.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2010, 08:59:09 pm »
'i remember the poor scouser tommy'

one thing doesn't make sense here. if lancastrians were known as tommy, why say i remember poor scouser tommy (lancastrian) in the same phrase. scouser was already a term for a liverpudlian and adds on.  i suppose it's possible using a barrelled nickname.. which goes to assuming tommy was a real name.

when someone says 'i remember poor scouser tommy', that suggests he knew him or even witnessed this.  or maybe some years later, recalling events. 
could it be possible that the author was actually there? or maybe, the author had a relation who was there, or even had read some diary some years later where it was written down.who knows.

maybe it wasn't a relative at all.  whoever wrote it had a reason for it as PST spoke for all.. he wanted to tell the story of a poor boy. the boy amongst many many others sent far away from his home.

maybe, it was the son of a soldier who didn't come home, and some years later he wanted to know who his dad was but never found out, and put pen to paper after asking people when he was older. maybe he was told his dad liked going to the match, and if the author was a supporter himself and had some kind of common interest and connection, and the only way to come to terms was to write a song about his dad that he never knew... it's logical.

unless it was penned by a philanthropist who spoke for all the 'tommys' and poor boys.. you just couldn't make up a story like that and transgress it from the late 60s or early 70s back to 1942  without a reason.

the author could have easily written a song about the lancastrians lost in the boer war as that had a relationship between the ground. a song could easily have been penned regarding world war one and the lancastrians and liverpool folk lost...even though the kop existed before the roof was put up, was the kop more special after the roof went up? felt more sheltered from the elements, a bit more cosier.

if the author was going on the kop in the 60s, say 1963 for example and was 22 years old and knowing his dad never came home, it would have been natural for him to think 'i wonder if my dad felt the same things when he was coming here'?

maybe we will never know the full real story behind it, maybe it will stay in folklore and in our imaginations.  even if tommy is fictional, he feels very real.

god bless scouser tommy, and god bless the author, whoever you are!!

'I remember a poor Scouser Tommy'

Tommy referred to the nick-name for a British soldier not a Lancastrian.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2010, 09:16:55 pm »
is it possible that the cockney handing them out was not the guy who typed them out or written them out? he was merely passing them around.

if he was the writer, how did he get hold of the in info. i hope he wasn't bevied when writing down what was said on the phone from whoever was speaking to him or we be in a right mess lol.

Now you're asking John (!) I can just about remember the lad full stop.

I think he may have wrote the words out himself because of the misunderstanding of that line...'Pies swam around in the crossroads'  :butt  and him not a speaker of da local lingo, but its odd that he got most of the other contentious words - and indeed, they're the ones I've sung to this day.

If anyone's got a link to a torrent that used to be on here (can't find it now) of the whole Liverpool v Borussia Rome Final in 77, we sang every Liverpool song that we ever knew during that game - may give us a clue... I wrote out a list of them as I watched the game a couple of years back, but I've lost it now....

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2010, 11:56:52 pm »
i thought tommy was referred to british soldiers in world war 1?

ok, we won't write off the 1977 sheet from the picture..

one other question maybe is...why the tune of red river valley? what is the significance of this? was it random or a tune familiar to the author?  all i can see is the popularisation of it from the film.  YNWA was from carousel, that was from the theatre in the 40s and turned into a film in 1956, and gerry and the pacemakers sung it 6 years later, even if it wasn't originally intended for the theme of the club until it was adopted.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2010, 03:35:06 am »
i thought tommy was referred to british soldiers in world war 1?

ok, we won't write off the 1977 sheet from the picture..

one other question maybe is...why the tune of red river valley? what is the significance of this? was it random or a tune familiar to the author?  all i can see is the popularisation of it from the film.  YNWA was from carousel, that was from the theatre in the 40s and turned into a film in 1956, and gerry and the pacemakers sung it 6 years later, even if it wasn't originally intended for the theme of the club until it was adopted.

You're right about Johnny being from WW1 mate but I think it just stuck. Tommy Atkins to be precise.
The name was used on an example on a dummy army registration form. That carried on to be used on the pay books the soldiers had along with a fictitious army number as an example of how to fill it in.
I don't know where the 'Atkins' came from though - probably just seen as a common British name.

The first use of it goes back even further to a Rudyard Kipling poem in 1743 called 'Tommy', about a typical soldier.

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins, when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins, when the band begins to play.

This thread gets more surreal by the day!
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2010, 03:55:41 am »

This thread gets more surreal by the day!

Sure does SB, Kipling wasn't born until 1865!!
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline alpha2omega

• Main Stander
  • some said GOD but we said Shankly
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2010, 10:07:23 am »
It is too fucking confusing?
Any idea why so many wars were incorporated?

Sounds like an amalgamation of some of the battles that the Lancashire regiment took part in......Boer War-Peninsula War-WW1-WW2.......

SB is right, the nickname for the Army lads up to the the mid 50's was "Tommy"....... based on Kiplings poem.....

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2010, 11:33:24 am »
Sure does SB, Kipling wasn't born until 1865!!

Spot on mate.....but he was ahead of his time.
It should have been 1892.......which is something of a spooky coincidence.
The war office apparently adopted it for their pay books etc in 1815 though, so Kipling obviously stole it from them but made it more widely known.

The 1743 reference should have been about the earliest use of 'Tommy' for British soldiers during a rebellion in Jamaica, but if you think I'm going to complicate matters more by posting that particular nugget...............

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2010, 03:00:52 pm »
i think the next step would be to establish how far back pre 1977 it goes, and maybe someone somewhere has a written down copy put away.

the only way to do this is by asking around. being realisticly looking at someone who is over 50..what existed in 1970?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »
i thought it was tommy because tommy gun :-\

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2010, 05:04:56 pm »
Spot on mate.....but he was ahead of his time.
It should have been 1892.......which is something of a spooky coincidence.
The war office apparently adopted it for their pay books etc in 1815 though, so Kipling obviously stole it from them but made it more widely known.

The 1743 reference should have been about the earliest use of 'Tommy' for British soldiers during a rebellion in Jamaica, but if you think I'm going to complicate matters more by posting that particular nugget...............
Touche...

As we're getting more and more esoteric; the melody can be heard in lots of John Ford's movies. "Red river valley" I think.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2010, 05:37:31 pm »
Touche...

As we're getting more and more esoteric; the melody can be heard in lots of John Ford's movies. "Red river valley" I think.

Come on Rob...keep up mate.

Tell ya what lads.... a lot of the answers are already here.... on the RAWK archives... I'm still digging, but here's a post from our very own Rushian, back in the mists of time, 2002....

PST - been there sung that. A modern day standard (though sung too fast in the ground). Now been interested in digging out the history of this song for a while to write "The evolution of PST" for raotl.
1, 2, 3, 4 ... The Rush scored 1 etc can be dated easily (though does anyone know who added it and exactly when?)

I am a Liverpudlian - written by Pete "Jig" Daly and dates from the late 60s. Pete descended upon the RAOTL one day last year like a Golden Angel providing the priginal unexpurgiated lyrics - does anyone have a copy (Red in Holland/mb?) - Braces and Boots then filled in a few details about the lad and his antics on the Kop.

Now the first few verses. Seem to have been added in the mid 70s onto the I am a Liverpudlian from what I remember Al Edge saying once - again any further confirmation would be nice.

The tune is Red River Valley. archives.I've done quite a bit of digging on this and have sections on the dispute of whther it is Canadian or American song from the 1860s, I have the first published lyrics from 1890s and also an alternative disputed early version In the Bright Mohawk Valley (which came first the redriver or the mohawk?).

Now how did this American folk tune morph into PST? I have searched and searched on Army/WWII song sites for an original of this without success. I've found a Vietnam version sung by American GIs which is obviously too late.

Someone did suggest it may originate from the spanish civil war - dig a bit further and I hit pay dirt and find a song called Jarama Valley and unearthed a recording by Woodie Guthrie ....

There's a valley in Spain called Jarama / It's a place that we all know so well / It was there that we gave of our manhood / And there that our brave comrades fell

We are proud of the Lincoln Battalion / And the fight for Madrid that we made / Where we fought like true sons of the people / That Fascism never should reign

Now we're leaving this valley of sorrows / And its memories we'll never forget / So before we continue this reunion / Let us stand to our glorious dead

.... Again no striking similarities to PST but the feeling/emotion of this version ties in more with PST than any other clone. It's not hard to imagine Americans who had fought in Spain being billetted alongside British soldiers in WWII and PST evolving from Jarama Valley.

The only problem is I can find no evidence of this. There's a missing link somewhere.

So this is a call to arms. Has anyone any further info? Either on this link, the original Pete Daly post or anything else.

You will get a name check.

cheers
Steve

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2010, 10:04:34 pm »
For me it was always

highland division, flies roam around in their thousands, underneath the arabian sun,  we get thrown out quite alot, everyweek.

The arabian is what I've sang from the start but I can understand that people have sung Libyian, in the same way I always sung both Rangers and Celtic for years but it's always been highland anything else is wrong and it's always been we get thrown out quite alot, everyweek.

What I want to raise is that the first part may date from the late seventies but we sung I am a Liverpudlian bit as a seperate song in the Kop from at least the start of the seventies, the let me tell you the story part was added to ' the I am a liverpudlian, which was the original part. and the rush bit came even later.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2010, 10:23:46 pm »
I agree  mate it is about the oral tradition ! I have also heard it sung with "Higher Division" but being ex Army cant work out what that exactly means.

Some people sing Lybian sun some sing Arabian sun. The 8th Army never fought in Arabia !

I don`t  think there were many Nazi`s on the South African Velt tho ! Hitler was still in shortpants or perhaps lederhosen  at the time of Spion Kop ???

Always sang ‘Highland’ and ‘under the Rad-i-ant Sun’. Never sang ‘poor scouser tommy’ always ‘poor bastard tommy’ and the South African Boers fought with Mauser rifles bought from Germany - not old nazi, but close enough to be called such many years later!

I believe the 51st Highland Division also fought in the 'South African' war but maybe the reference is to 2nd Battalion, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) who were at Spion Kop (it says here).

And I suppose LFC.tv didn't want someone singing about getting thrown out every week but we sang that too.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:46:01 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2010, 10:53:24 pm »
the red river valley part: i'll tell you a story....... all the way down to the last words that he said,  is 1977 at least. possibly 1976.

obviously the rush part is after november 1982:

We support the team thats dressed in Red
A team that you all know
A team that we call Liverpool
And to glory we will go

We’ve won the League, we’ve won the Cup
And we’ve been to Europe too
We played the toffees for a laugh
And we left them feeling blue – Five Nil!

One two
One two three
One two three four
Five nil!

Rush scored one
Rush scored two
Rush scored three
And Rush scored four
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

so, what's this all about?
"Scouser Tommy is one of the oldest Liverpool songs dating back to the 60's, although it has been updated to include Ian Rush's four-goal demolition of Everton in 1982".

the tune of the sash is the oh i am a liverpudlian part..... without 'the sash' in the 1977, poor scouser tommy exists.. without poor scouser tommy, only the sash exists.. so, poor scouser tommy had the sash tune added on at least 1977 and remained scouser tommy complete..

obviously the song became longer with the one two, one two three, one two three four - five nil ..and the extra rush scored one, rush scored two etc

so, if just the sash on it's own was sung in the late 60's, it really isn't scouser tommy by right. if this is what i am thinking. maybe poor scouser tommy wasn't sung in the late 60s but maybe the 'sash' part? what you think?

"The reference to the Goodison derby where Rush scored 4 is also incorrect although it doesn't bother me singing that bit. The 5-0 is in response to the Anfield derby in the 60's were Gordon West was awarded a hand bag so the Ian Rush reference is inaccurate despite the fact I have no qualms with it."

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:04 pm »
Never sang ‘poor scouser tommy’ always ‘poor bastard tommy’

can you remember approx when?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »
can you remember approx when?

Pre Ian Rush (certainly up to about 1975), it would have been:

I’ll tell you the story of a poor boy
Who was sent far away from his home
To fight for his King and his country
An’ all, for the old folks back home

So they put him in a highland division
Sent him off to a far foreign land
Where the flies swarm around in their thousands
And there’s nothing to see but the sand

Well the battle it started next morning
Under the rad-i-ant sun
I remember that poor bastard tommy
Who was shot by an old nazi gun

As he lay on the battlefield dying
With the blood gushing out of his head
As he lay on the  battlefield dying - dyin’, dyin’
These were the last words he said...

[change tune]

Oh, I-am-a Liv-er-pud-lian
And I come from the Spion Kop (Clap, Clap)
I like to sing, I like to shout
I get thrown out quite a lot (every week)

We support a team that’s dressed in red
It’s a team that you all know
It's a team that we call LIV-ER-POOL
And to glory we will go

We’ve won the league
We’ve won the cup
We played the toffees for a laugh and we left them feeling blue (5 - NIL!)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:51:05 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline shippers

• The Fat Banana AKA Bicycyle Man!
  • Kopite
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2010, 11:28:01 pm »
The link to the "Red River Valley" surely has it's foundations in the Liverpool Socialists who went out to the Spanish Civil War to fight the fascists,and who where recently commemorated in Liverpool (A significant member was Jack Jones who ended up as the leader of the TGWU).

I like to think it's the link anyway, and the line for my mind has to be the Highland division as it would commemorate the Liverpool Scottish Territorial Regiments who supplied units to the Cameron Highlanders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Scottish

I'm sure it should be Libyan sun too, to commemorate the Battle of Tobruk, where the 2nd Battalion of the Cameron Highlanders fought (and lost)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2010, 12:22:43 am »
No mate, those ARE the words sung on the kop up until at east 1975 (when I left home) and all the facts fit the Boer War story. Including the battle starting in the morning and raging all day under the radiant sun. The British troops were horribly exposed when the morning mist lifted. They couldn't dig for cover in the rocky ground and were mown down by 'withering' fire from German Mauser rifles. They could only get out when night fell.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:25:59 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline shippers

• The Fat Banana AKA Bicycyle Man!
  • Kopite
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2010, 01:18:53 am »
When where the Germans in the Boer War, okay they used German rifles, but they could hardly be called Nazi guns at that point could they? They where Dutch Afrikaans they where fighting and when where the Boer Farmers Nazis or even Fascists. The Brits where the only ones with concentration camps in South Africa. Also Queen Victoria was the Monarch when the Boer War was being fought, so they could hardly be fighting for King and Country.

I think the song is more about remembering the fight against the right through conflict through the years and the loyalist Scottish background of the regiments that the Highland division refers to, hence the inclusion of the tunes of the Battle of Jurama and The Sash.

The Cameron Scottish Rifles turned up at Spion Kop, but most of the losses where those of the Lancashires.

I think Poor Scouser Tommy is a much more complex song, and has much more in it than a song purely about the Boer War.

But it's a folk song, and they change over the years to reflect their times, hence the latter inclusion of Rushies stuffing of the Blues, (which I'm glad to say I was at :-)

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2010, 02:49:10 am »
Come on Rob...keep up mate.

Sorry about that SB – I plead  premature senility ::)

But your ‘esoteric’ comment has really got to me now and my lateral thinking is in overdrive.

John Ford and his chum John Wayne were, by all accounts, quite right-wing Rebublicans, even for ‘30s Hollywood. Yet his masterly film of Steinbeck’s “Grapes of Wrath” was very sympathetically translated and difficult to reconcile with his politics. Here’s a link to Woody Guthrie’s version of Red River Valley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM54-ZRd-9k

...which (bear with me) leads me on to an even more famous Guthrie song of the ‘dustbowl’ ‘30s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyUagbsg-HI&feature=related

…and just ‘cos I love it, a wonderful version of that song by Ry Cooder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4KmbUCwkyE&feature=related

And to return to “Grapes Of Wrath” – the John Carradine character in that great movie was called Preacher Casey.

Right, sorry to all for taking the thread completely off-topic. Got to go now, the men in white coats have arrived…

Offline rafa_thebosphorus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2010, 08:31:48 am »
Thank god for that ! Ive only stuck me head in ere to check on John down there in the vaaallleys.
I was a bit worried you were lost in pst world all on yer own mate.

Great work fellas.

Yeah its a folk song and are they ever meant to be historically accurate.
I bet the real old ones changed all the time.

For what its worth, ive always thought it was about the spion kop,
where if my history is correct, the authorities led a battalion of lancastrians(who they viewed as canon fodder)up a useless fuckin mountain to their death.
 sound familiar ? i know pst is much much earlier than the tragedy but it took on more meaning for me cos of the parallels. folk songs changing meaning and all that.

I dont know how i decided it was about the spion kop, if someone told me they thought it was or if i just decided myself, cant remember.
Also i dont know if ive fited the words around the story or the story round the words if that makes sense.
Ive always sung raging sun and almighty gun and they are both vague, could be any war anywhere, but maybe ive always thought it should be that to fit the story in my little ead

If it was about the boer war then it isnt a nazi gun. where there any new weapons canons used for the first time in that war ?

Anyway, thems the words ive always sung and probably always will. it doesnt bother me if people sing different words, the meaning is the same.

All this made me think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxELSzay2lc

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2010, 09:44:09 am »
Bit more research... gives us some more names and dates to play with....

... from Alan Edge's brilliant 'Faith Of Our Fathers' published in 1997:

'The Kop in the early Sixties held 28,000 frustrated pop singers under one roof. As the tannoy system used to bellow out the latest songs of Cilla and Gerry, the Beatles and the Searchers, we all joined in singing in the best Liverpool Saturday night pub and party tradition - loud and passionate and full of piss and wind and not necessarily in tune, yet always in perfect harmony especially for Gerry's anthem.

Then some Kopites - rumoured to be either Ben Hendry and the Lloyd brothers from the Liver pub in Waterloo or a mysterious Kopite called Peter Daly whom I know definitely wrote "I am a Liverpudlian" a few years later, made up new words to some of the songs....

.... By the early Seventies, the Kop's reign as the unique institution it had become in the Sixties was drawing to an end. (In fact some of my own mates say that for most ordinary games this was the case as early as 1966, though I disagree). True, there were many occasions after the early Seventies when the atmosphere was special. In this respect you only have to think of Bruges, St. Etienne, Auxerre, Birmngham City when we were 3-1 down, Derby games, most Man United games and Tommy Smith's testimonial. Also the first bit of the Kop's best-ever song - "Poor Scouser Tommy" - and the aria "We're on our way to Roma" - were still to come.'
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:50:00 am by Redsnappa »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2010, 10:47:29 am »
I once got a copy of Thomas Pakenham's history of the Boer War for Christmas (whoopee). I went straight to the chapter about the Spion Kop (as you would). The German Mauser magazine rifles were a revelation against the British Enfield (?) single shot rifles. They also used Howitzers but I guess you would have been shelled, not shot by them.

I can understand someone writing it later, getting the King and Country bit wrong but I'm must admit there's not that much sand in (Kwa Zulu) Natal, mostly rocky, scrubby 'dirt' but that would have been hard to fit in a song. Thinking about it, maybe the Spion Kop story got grafted on to a more general song. At the time I didn't associate the two and always thought it was WW2 (because of old nazi (=hun) and the irony of weapons from WW1 coming back to bite us on the bum) but anyway, dems the words.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:51:17 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2010, 10:48:08 am »
and the aria "We're on our way to Roma" - were still to come.'

Now there was a great song.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2010, 10:53:15 am »
Now there was a great song.
Totally agree.

Along with 'Underneath the floodlights, down in Dusseldorf....' another travelling Kop special ;)

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2010, 11:15:51 am »
... from Alan Edge's brilliant 'Faith Of Our Fathers' published in 1997:

'The Kop in the early Sixties held 28,000 ......Then some Kopites - rumoured to be either Ben Hendry and the Lloyd brothers from the Liver pub in Waterloo or a mysterious Kopite called Peter Daly whom I know definitely wrote "I am a Liverpudlian" a few years later, made up new words to some of the songs....

In this respect you only have to think of Bruges, St. Etienne, Auxerre, Birmngham City when we were 3-1 down, Derby games, most Man United games and Tommy Smith's testimonial. Also the first bit of the Kop's best-ever song - "Poor Scouser Tommy" - and the aria "We're on our way to Roma" - were still to come.'

"Poor Scouser Tommy"  were still to come.

st etienne and tommy smith's testimonial were in 1977. bruges 1976
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:21:07 am by johnsouthwales »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2010, 11:25:37 am »
Pre Ian Rush (certainly up to about 1975), it would have been:

We support a team that’s dressed in red
It’s a team that you all know
It's a team that we call LIV-ER-POOL
And to glory we will go

We’ve won the league
We’ve won the cup
We played the toffees for a laugh and we left them feeling blue (5 - NIL!)[/i]

peter, are you saying this part is pre 1975 as well?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2010, 12:09:28 pm »
peter, are you saying this part is pre 1975 as well?

Yes. The 5-0 was the handbag derby (1965?) and it was no doubt written prior to the first trophy win in Europe (1972-73). In those days it wouldn't have been 'poor scouser tommy' more likely poor wacker tommy but in any event the kop sang poor bastard tommy. So the phrase pst was still to come.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:16:29 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2010, 03:08:52 pm »
gets more interesting by the minute  :P

the only wacker i can think of is a wacker plate, a compactor. concreting, roads, pavements and paths. foundations. tarmac and road gangs - labourers.
road gangs always had a tune or two.

so, we had wacker tommy morphed into a crude 'astard tommy, and evolved into to scouser tommy.. phew

as for the everton reference, it was played on sept 25th, 1965..we won the league, we won the cup.... we won the league 63-64, 65-66, we won the cup 1965, we been to europe too (cup winners cup 1965-66) european cup 66-67..64-65 inter milan was played after the fa cup final and before the everton game.  juventus away on sept 29th 1965, and the return leg 2-0 october 13th. standard liege december 1965. final in may 1966... oh, that's a though/ i'll have a look at the 1966 final. i doubt if there's anything in it

think i'll have a look at some old matches again..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:50:51 pm by johnsouthwales »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »
Now you're taking the mick. There never was a wacker tommy.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2010, 08:34:28 pm »
more likely poor wacker tommy but in any event the kop sang poor bastard tommy. So the phrase pst was still to come.

nope, im not taking the mick.. what does wacker mean in your post?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2010, 02:19:57 am »
is wacker liverpudlian speak for something i don't know about?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2010, 02:37:09 am »
oh i see now. wacker is an old speak.. as in referring to someone like as in lad..

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2010, 09:56:04 am »
oh i see now. wacker is an old speak.. as in referring to someone like as in lad..

You got it.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2010, 09:03:49 pm »
i was watching the bbc history of liverpool football club earlier. during the panorama part for the arsenal game. right at the end (lol) is the word wacker

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #157 on: May 5, 2011, 01:08:49 am »
Before the thread went off on a tangent, there was some bloody good Poor Scouser Tommy chat.

Slow it down for the Spurs game I say. Give those fuckers a run for their money as to who can sing the slowest and loudest.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline liverpoolsox

• Kopite
  • Camarero
« Reply #158 on: May 5, 2011, 01:47:46 am »
I always sang Arabian which is pretty ridiculous when you think about it, I really liked the tempo of the song but i was a bit upset he left out one of my favourite bits

"I like to sing i like to shout i go there quite alot
We support a team that plays in red
A Team that we all know
A team that we call liverpool
and to glory we will go"

Not to big a deal i just always kinda liked that bit, then again its without doubt one of my favourite songs we sing
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'.

Offline Broken Accidental Stars

• Kopite
  • Gedites know who le vrai Roi is
« Reply #159 on: May 5, 2011, 05:55:08 am »
I always sang Arabian which is pretty ridiculous when you think about it, I really liked the tempo of the song but i was a bit upset he left out one of my favourite bits

"I like to sing i like to shout i go there quite alot
We support a team that plays in red
A Team that we all know
A team that we call liverpool
and to glory we will go"

Not to big a deal i just always kinda liked that bit, then again its without doubt one of my favourite songs we sing

Always thought it was "Arabian" since the 8th Army was in Egypt/Libya/Tunisia.
"Inspirational quote on perseverance, unfinished business, and fighting the good fight."
- Gérard Houllier

The ship has been steadied, le retour du Roi est bientôt arrivé.
Hic iacet Gérard Houllier, rex quondam, rexque futurus.