Author Topic: The story of You'll Never Walk Alone  (Read 4942 times)

Offline redpablo

• Boys Pen
The story of You'll Never Walk Alone
« on: December 15, 2006, 09:05:13 am »
The excellent "Songlines" series, which traces the history and importance of different songs, this week deals with You'll Never Walk Alone. It will be broadcast on BBC Radio Scotland this Sunday lunchtime (Sky channel 0116 or online).

Offline mulane

• rouge
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The story of You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 09:08:33 am »
The excellent "Songlines" series, which traces the history and importance of different songs, this week deals with You'll Never Walk Alone. It will be broadcast on BBC Radio Scotland this Sunday lunchtime (Sky channel 0116 or online).

cool must listen out for it, but we all know celtic stole it from us ;D

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 02:13:49 pm »
being radio jockinese it will be interesting to see if they mention who started it as a footy song
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 02:42:46 pm »
being radio jockinese it will be interesting to see if they mention who started it as a footy song

Seriously, what's the earliest footage of Celtic fans singing YNWA? We've got footage of the massed Kop ranks singing it in the mid 60s and we KNOW Celtic fans were NOT singing it at the '66 Cup Winners Cup semi.

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 02:56:39 pm »
It doesn't matter who they say started it.  I was around in those days and it was Liverpool - end of story

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 03:15:49 pm »
In England, the song's most famous outing was recorded in the early 1960s by Liverpool Merseybeat group Gerry & the Pacemakers, which reached #1 in the UK charts on the 26th October 1963 where it stayed for 4 weeks. It quickly became the club anthem of Liverpool Football Club [1] and is invariably sung by its supporters moments before the start of the game [2]. The words You'll Never Walk Alone feature in the club crest. In recent years the fans of various other clubs have attempted to claim that they sang it first, but it appears that Liverpool has the much stronger claims [3]. In Scotland the song was later adopted as the anthem of Glasgow football club Celtic F.C.

It song is also sung by other association football crowds, where it is sung variably, such as:

England: Ipswich Town
Austria: Rapid Vienna
Netherlands: Feyenoord Rotterdam, Ajax Amsterdam, FC Twente.
Germany: Borussia Dortmund, Alemannia Aachen, FC St. Pauli.
Greece: AEK Athens FC (AEK fans adopted a Greek version of the song}
Japan: F.C. Tokyo.
Italy: AC Milan
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 03:18:15 pm »
While many Celtic fan-based websites provide the words to You'll Never Walk Alone, and it features on the CD Green & White Anthems, there is no historical evidence that Celtic fans sang it on their terraces first. Instead, a cursory glance back in time shows that Liverpool have the much stronger claims.

After all, the song, originally written by Rodgers and Hammerstein in 1945 for the Broadway musical Carousel, only became a terrace favourite after it was covered by Gerry and the Pacemakers in November 1963. Almost immediately - as footage from Panorama in 1964 shows - Liverpool supporters adopted it.
As Paul Fields points out: "Before the early 60s football fans made noise and occasionally chanted something brief (like Play Up Pompey!) but it was the Kop that started singing popular songs of the day (mainly Merseybeat songs such as Gerry and the Pacemakers' You'll Never Walk Alone) and later started to adapt the lyrics of songs to celebrate the team and its players.

"If any Celtic fans still claim that they sang it first, it would have to predate Gerry's version. Now can you really see thousands of working class Glaswegians in the 50s/early 60s spontaneously joining in a sing-along from a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical?" No, us neither

http://football.guardian.co.uk/news/theknowledge/0,9204,912750,00.html
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 03:30:25 pm »
Not a bad try at it bhoys and you can sing it all day when you beat UTD:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MC5ztR04hk

But here is how its done:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKNTP1QbX4&mode=related&search=

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:39:23 pm »
have not seen this bit before but shocked........feck me but Jose showed a wee bit of class there at the end applauding the fans when he walked off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDdJe9EDUUw&mode=related&search=

No more youtube:)

Offline JRC

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 03:48:43 pm »
Now can you really see thousands of working class Glaswegians in the 50s/early 60s spontaneously joining in a sing-along from a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical?" No, us neither

This is the decider for me - until anyone can explain why Celtic fans would sing YNWA before 1963/4 (as opposed to their more traditional Irish republican songs), while our claims have a clear explanation (Gerry Marsden) and TV Evidence (Panorama), then the matter should not even be up for debate.
Why not call up Robin Hood and ask him for some wealth distribution?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 03:59:36 pm »
I guess no one has a copy of Rodgers and Hammerstein version. Their fans got us all I guess.

:)

Offline bathoz

• Kopite
  • Wants a showpony.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 04:52:46 pm »
Wasn't there a Woolnetain (or whoever you spell that) spiel about how the Gerry & the Pacemakers song came about to take advantage of the fact that Liverpool supporters sung it in the terraces?
The opinions related above are in no way to be taken as anything more (or less) than those of an bored mind.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 05:42:52 pm »
Not a bad try at it bhoys and you can sing it all day when you beat UTD:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MC5ztR04hk

But here is how its done:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKNTP1QbX4&mode=related&search=

This isn't a bad one from Celtic to be fair..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwmwKd9C7RU

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 06:11:14 pm »
I uploaded this footage recently, along with some other classics.

John Morgan, 'The Other Mersey Sound', BBC Panorama, 1964

A great clip to see again, cheers. No YNWA but the Kop singing Dusty Springfield!  ::)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 06:16:33 pm »

That's priceless.
Superb stuff..

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 06:20:41 pm »
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline John Bowden

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 06:37:55 pm »
A great clip to see again, cheers. No YNWA but the Kop singing Dusty Springfield!  ::)
Great clip - I was there! (in the Paddock though)
It's not Dusty Springfield by the way, it's "Anyone who had a heart" by Cilla Black
I love the old fella in the Kop who doesn't know the verse to "she love you" but keeps opening and closing his mouth lke John Redwood that time joining in with the Welsh national anthem!

And the you can hear the Kop's singing "When the SAINTS go marching in", not "the Reds", which it was changed to later - originally the song was sung in reference to Ian St. John. There was a post in the "what does your head in at the match" thread recently mentioning somebody wrongly singing "the Saints" at a recenet match - he was being more "traditional" than he thought!  :champ

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 06:40:08 pm »

Absolutely love that. Never tire of it. This is what we're aspiring to again, hopefully. And how polite are kids in the 60s. Daren't go near kids of today in fear!

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 06:44:11 pm »
It's not Dusty Springfield by the way, it's "Anyone who had a heart" by Cilla Black

Of course.  ::)

Funnily enough, I don't have her version in my collection.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 07:46:55 pm »
I guess no one has a copy of Rodgers and Hammerstein version. Their fans got us all I guess.

The original Rogers and Hammerstein lyric is "keep your chin up high" not 'hold your head up high" I thought it was Gerry and the Pacemakers who changed it - so if Celtic sing "hold your head up high" then they are singing our tune - no question.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/carousel/youllneverwalkalone.htm
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 07:55:41 pm »
And the original version doesn't repeat the chorus. Maybe all those people who clap halfway at Anfield through are closet Celtic fans singing the "original" version from the show....   ::)
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline go_on_the_pool!

• Kemlynite
  • Xabisimo
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 10:00:52 pm »
Quality clip that, remember it from the museum. One thing that struck me was the way the crowd was getting pushed forward the whole time. The atmosphere has declined in stadiums throughout the country since the introduction of all-seater stadiums, but the safety of the fans is paramount. If they could introduce small sections of the ground that were standing, it could improve the atmosphere, whilst not compremising the safety of the fans. Perhaps a central stand in the kop could get the rest of the croud going? Can't see the crowd turning up in suits these days though ;)
Hasta la victoria siempre

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 10:05:17 pm »

I do :wave
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 10:07:59 pm »
have not seen this bit before but shocked........feck me but Jose showed a wee bit of class there at the end applauding the fans when he walked off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDdJe9EDUUw&mode=related&search=

No more youtube:)

that one still sends shivers down my spine

I always argue with Mank fans over this, my reply is always "actually its from the musical Carousel. Do you also think football was invented in 1992?"
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 10:14:20 am »
It doesn't matter who they say started it.  I was around in those days and it was Liverpool - end of story

i didnt say it mattered   :)
TRACUTHB  *****

Offline inky2

• Legacy Fan
  • RED FOREVER
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 11:48:45 am »
just missed the show :(

it will be available on 'listen again ' probably later today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/scotland_promo.shtml

it's there now :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 12:25:22 pm by inky2 »
TRACUTHB  *****