Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 386841 times)

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Sturridge in decline: Speed statistics highlight the problem
« Reply #160 on: February 4, 2017, 05:34:18 pm »
Feel sorry for him. He's hardly getting a pass and when he does its shit. How can he do anything if the useless midfield can't even get the ball to him.
Football is a lie

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: February 4, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »
Not sure what it is but he just doesn't fit anymore I don't think.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 4, 2017, 05:36:08 pm »
Not sure what it is but he just doesn't fit anymore I don't think.

Does anyone?
Football is a lie

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #163 on: February 4, 2017, 05:36:49 pm »
Holy fuck, Firmino AGAIN stinks the place out....and people are scapegoating Daniel Sturridge?!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 4, 2017, 05:38:49 pm »
Does anyone?

Well no, but Sturridge was by far and away our best player not long ago, even up to thr start of the season. If stuff wasn't happening, he'd help it on. Now, he looks like he can't do a thing. Not sure if it is our style of play or if he's lost something, but it's not working and sadly I don't think it will work anymore

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 4, 2017, 05:40:30 pm »
Holy fuck, Firmino AGAIN stinks the place out....and people are scapegoating Daniel Sturridge?!

Not scapegoating Sturridge. Just Firmino has had a bad month or so, Sturridge has had a bad season. Firmino you could say has to do better, where as with Sturridge there is quite clearly a problem that needs sorting out

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #166 on: February 4, 2017, 05:41:32 pm »
Thought Danny was alright today. He had a lot to do. The whole team did, though, and it was their own fault really. I'd like to see him start, as we look blunt. Danny isn't perfect, but he IS a striker.

I long for a bit of formation experimentation, with perhaps Origi and Danny up top. Firminho isn't really delivering. I don't know what the future holds for Sturridge but give him another go. Supersub isn't really the most workable role.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #167 on: February 4, 2017, 05:47:16 pm »

This...it's ridiculous.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 4, 2017, 05:49:08 pm »

Agree. Firmino and Can have been shit for weeks yet play every match. What the fuck is Sturridge supposed to do in 20 mins every game.

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 4, 2017, 05:53:05 pm »
Has the sporadic flash of looking sharp,  made their keeper work today,  more than the others did like

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 4, 2017, 05:53:45 pm »
Not scapegoating Sturridge. Just Firmino has had a bad month or so, Sturridge has had a bad season. Firmino you could say has to do better, where as with Sturridge there is quite clearly a problem that needs sorting out

Firmino has scored in six games this season, out of twenty eight. Six.

But it's alright now, he's bound to get back to his average scoring rate when he's got Coutinho and Mane playing as opposed to his diabolical scoring rate when they're not. Stick Messi and Suarez up top with him and he might even have a scoring rate to put Robert Snodgrass and Shane Long to shame!!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 4, 2017, 06:01:12 pm »
Time to give him a few starts and see what he can do. Hasn't looked impressive in recent months but hasn't really had a run of games either, he was a really special player for us once lets see if he can recapture some of that magic, because we're in dire need of it right now.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #172 on: February 4, 2017, 06:03:27 pm »

Sturridge thread talk about Sturridge, why would you talk about Firmino?

If you want to talk about Firmino start a Firmino thread...

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #173 on: February 4, 2017, 06:08:22 pm »
Sturridge thread talk about Sturridge, why would you talk about Firmino?

If you want to talk about Firmino start a Firmino thread...

he's asked a valid question. not sure why people are talking about Sturridge today. Came on.... didn't get a pass in 20 minutes... got a shot on target.... dunno what he was supposed to but people are still jumping in

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: February 4, 2017, 06:24:30 pm »
Did he have more then two touches today?

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 4, 2017, 06:33:31 pm »
Did he have more then two touches today?

he had 8.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 4, 2017, 06:41:51 pm »
Was discussing him with my mate today, when he said "Lukaku is now better than Sturridge". I found it hard to argue otherwise.

(Not suggesting XYZ is better than him, just a couple of years ago I'd have laughed at that, but now I'm not so sure)

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 4, 2017, 06:43:40 pm »
Firmino has scored in six games this season, out of twenty eight. Six.

But it's alright now, he's bound to get back to his average scoring rate when he's got Coutinho and Mane playing as opposed to his diabolical scoring rate when they're not. Stick Messi and Suarez up top with him and he might even have a scoring rate to put Robert Snodgrass and Shane Long to shame!!

Mane has scored in 8 games, Couthinio in 5, Lallana in 6. All play a similar role to Firmino, all largely so far said to have had good seasons. Firmino is also our joint top scorer. Earlier on in the season we were banging in goals from all over the pitch, and everyone was contributing. Now we're playing poorly and everyone is contributing to that. What reason have you got to single out Firmino? When we played well, he has, when we've played shit, he has too.

Anyway this is a Sturridge thread, and as I said, it just doesn't look right to me. Whenever he's started this season he's looked blunt, and now when he comes on, one can say he's not getting the options, which is true, but to be fair he's not pulling people away or making the space or runs either.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #178 on: February 4, 2017, 06:55:35 pm »
Was discussing him with my mate today, when he said "Lukaku is now better than Sturridge". I found it hard to argue otherwise.

(Not suggesting XYZ is better than him, just a couple of years ago I'd have laughed at that, but now I'm not so sure)

It all depends how you compare them, Sturridge of 13/14 beats Lukaku of any season (not by much)

Lukaku has consistently scored hatfuls of goals every season in the prem from West brom to Everton when he's played.

Right now you'd take Lukaku over Sturridge.

"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 4, 2017, 06:56:40 pm »
There's absolutely no pressure on Firmino to play well, and no incentive for Sturridge in terms of forcing his way into the starting line up. That's my issue.

Sturridge has had a dreadful season, no arguments. But he's been massively hampered by the fact he's been shoehorned here there and everywhere, rarely with the first choice eleven. He was excellent against Leicester without scoring, and then back out. He was our best player against Sunderland, and then back out. In the meantime, Firmino has been terrible for well over a month. I'm sure he's tired, so take him out for a few games. It's literally not going to hurt us anymore than this is at the moment is it?

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 6, 2017, 04:45:53 am »
Those saying we should keep him as a bench backup or a super sub need to consider wages.  His pay is what you'd expect to pay a top class striker and his utility doesn't match it..In that circumstance we're better served taking a fee and using it to buy a replacement than alter his squad role. 

The squad striker role is best played by young players on relatively low wages like Origi or ideally Ings, both good on their day but likely to improve over time.  Sturridge is only going downhill from here.

I think we are, and should be, well off enough to have Sturridge as a sub. We are certainly not Chelsea, bur it is inexcusable that we put out kids for our bench when they pulled out Pedro and Fabregas for subs.

It is in fact the perfect place for a striker who is going downhill, in order for him to keep a viable place in a top side. Otherwise, I can't see him playing for another top club ever again. Then you have to consider that we have to pay a fee for whoever will come in for us to sit on the bench (that ostensibly has Daniel's pedigree), which is not inconsiderable in this market. Unless if we can pull off another Bosman like Ings, then it won't make sense.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 6, 2017, 06:17:14 am »
Our problems almost always stem from bad recruitment: players, scouts, everyone. If Klopp really doesn't like Sturridge at all, and firmino obviously isn't a top class striker, and Ings had been returning from a serious long term injury, and Origi was obviously still pretty raw, then why were no changes made to our striker options?

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 6, 2017, 07:52:31 am »
Well, all of our centre forwards are struggling by my book. Which makes me think this is maybe a bit more systemic than purely down to individuals.

This is the point people are spectacularly missing.  Yeah Sturridge isn't the player he was, but the system we play doesn't suit the genuine strikers we have, I mean how many chances do you see falling to either Sturridge or Origi?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 6, 2017, 08:17:48 am »
This is the point people are spectacularly missing.  Yeah Sturridge isn't the player he was, but the system we play doesn't suit the genuine strikers we have, I mean how many chances do you see falling to either Sturridge or Origi?

I disagree. Just watch how Costa and Kane have been occupying central defenders recently. They keep them honest, they show for the ball and they are strong in competing. Firmino and especially Sturridge havent done that and you need that against packed defences.

Even at his best Sturridge hasnt convinced as a lone front man. Its not his game and he doesnt show the discipline to play there.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 6, 2017, 08:24:13 am »
I disagree. Just watch how Costa and Kane have been occupying central defenders recently. They keep them honest, they show for the ball and they are strong in competing. Firmino and especially Sturridge havent done that and you need that against packed defences.

Even at his best Sturridge hasnt convinced as a lone front man. Its not his game and he doesnt show the discipline to play there.

They're not on the same level as Costa and Kane, however those teams are set up to play to the strikers strengths.
You're right Sturridge has never been a lonely front man, he's best in a 2, but we don't play that way.  As for Firmino, he has proved he can play a role on his own through the middle, plenty of times in the past, just think he's been in dreadful form for at least 2 months and is lucky to be starting games.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #185 on: February 9, 2017, 01:40:51 am »
Since 2009, Firmino has played 230 games, Sturridge 156.

Firmino has not been at his best recently, but at least he is available for selection.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 9, 2017, 01:53:23 am »

Firmino has not been at his best recently, but at least he is available for selection.

They're  both currently available for selection. Troy Deeney has been available for more games than either since 2009. There literally couldn't be a worse reason for favouring one over the other.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #187 on: February 9, 2017, 09:32:51 am »
They're  both currently available for selection. Troy Deeney has been available for more games than either since 2009. There literally couldn't be a worse reason for favouring one over the other.
Not true.

Sturridge's availability has always been, and continues to be, central to the debate.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 9, 2017, 09:33:11 am »

Firmino has not been at his best recently
, but at least he is available for selection.

Been about 2 months hasn't it?

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 9, 2017, 10:04:10 am »
Not true.

Sturridge's availability has always been, and continues to be, central to the debate.

And he's currently available, as he has been most of the season. The reason he doesn't play is because Klopp doesn't rate him.  Availability has zero to do with him not starting against Spurs, which I believe will be the case.

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #190 on: February 9, 2017, 11:12:53 am »
And he's currently available, as he has been most of the season. The reason he doesn't play is because Klopp doesn't rate him.  Availability has zero to do with him not starting against Spurs, which I believe will be the case.
And maybe him being available has something to do with not playing much.

Online markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 9, 2017, 11:40:18 am »
Not true.

I doubt it.  Matip has probably had as many injuries, but will start when available. I don't think the threat of injuries are the reason for him not playing anymore. To be fair even if you believe he is past it, I don't think the sturridge of 2014, would work that well in a klopp system

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #192 on: February 9, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »
It's a circular argument isn't it?

I do not think that Klopp does not rate him. I do think that he feels he cannot rely upon him to be available for a protracted period of time. That question over his mentality has hung over him for his career.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 9, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »
I doubt it.  Matip has probably had as many injuries, but will start when available. I don't think the threat of injuries are the reason for him not playing anymore. To be fair even if you believe he is past it, I don't think the sturridge of 2014, would work that well in a klopp system

Klopp picks whatever he believes are the best players available to him. And when all his players are available Firmino starts. Its not rocket science.
The only debate currently among fans is whether starting Sturridge might lead to us scoring more goals. Because this year scoring goals has become a problem, as much as people cling onto our top scorer status. Although it's probably a moot debate as I don't think Sturridge will start another game for us unless others get injured.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2017, 06:48:49 am »
So this lad will be slagged off til he scores
And if he gets injured again that's it
But if he continues scoring he's loved
But he needs to play many matches first
He hasn't for a bit
So begin loop again

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2017, 08:27:50 am »
So this lad will be slagged off til he scores
And if he gets injured again that's it
But if he continues scoring he's loved
But he needs to play many matches first
He hasn't for a bit
So begin loop again

That chant doesn't rhyme.

Online markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2017, 10:03:30 am »

That chant doesn't rhyme.

even if sturridge scores and plays well, people will still criticise
"the team overall performance fell", they will surmise

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2017, 11:53:57 am »
Dan, Dan, he's our boy
Unless he has an injuroy!

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2017, 10:05:46 pm »
Feel sorry for him. He's hardly getting a pass and when he does its shit. How can he do anything if the useless midfield can't even get the ball to him.

Oh, cry me a river. The lads had since 2014 to take a chance and stake a claim to be our talisman. We all wanted him to be .... it didn't happen. Maybe it was because of injury... maybe it was because Suarez was such a good partner? Who knows, who cares.

He's the highest earning player as 2nd or 3rd sub.

Time to stop romanticising the player that simply does not exist ... today in 2017 when we are struggling.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2017, 03:30:35 am »
I hope he gets another chance. I mean you look at Aguero who is out of form and you wouldn't write him off, his pace might've left him but surely his talent hasn't.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"