Author Topic: FSG (*)  (Read 828895 times)

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Good article from TAW on FSG
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:53 am »
They hired the manager. Look Brendan is a great bloke, no controversy, well spoken, good for PR. Says the right things, wants to play good football. The ideal person FSG wanted. If they wanted success in theory they could of gone for someone else. But trophies isn't what FSG exist for. Profit and a good image is.

So what do FSG want, a good image on and off the field, attractive to watch and an attractive proposition for investment or success at any cost? The former and that's what we have.

I think your good sense has gone the way of your username. Great that you state completely unsubstantiated conjecture as fact. Well done.

Btw, FSG were plenty nasty enough for the event that probably changed your mind about them like so many others. Farrr too nasty according to most... (including me it must be said)

In many ways Brendan is undermined and under appreciated by the owners. He's seen as a manager who can develop young players and play good clean footballers. But give him a couple of ready made stars too. We've seen what he can do with the likes of Suarez and a fit Sturridge.

Probably not much given we didnt hire him for his management skills...

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2015, 07:35:16 am »
No we didnt try hard enough to get Sanchez or Costa.

Our owners said we would challenge in the transfer market but we can't as we don't want to pay the big wages.

Yeah, last summer, the likes of Tadic, Pelle , Alderwield just as a very small example all went to Southampton on extortionate wages didn't they? Insane transfer fees too.

If we'd got them instead of Lallana, Lovren and Balo, we'd be top 4. Our transfers were that pathetic.

And if we were top 4, there'd be fuck all complaints about anyone, let alone the owners, who have done a pretty good job of it thus far.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2015, 07:35:58 am »
One could argue one of the major reasons it's going wrong in the transfer market right now is because largely were after young/undervalued players which is a strategy that comes from FSG
That is generally what every football club is doing. Finding value in the market. Was Markovic, Lallana, Lovren, Balotelli ALL about value? We overpaid for all of them.

It needs to be said again. There is nothing wrong in going after young or under valued players as a strategy.

IT IS UP TO THE COMMITTEE TO EXECUTE THAT STRATEGY.

If they can't execute that strategy then they need to be replaced. By Rodgers solely, a DOF or a smarter group is another matter.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:47:29 am by Livo.85 »

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2015, 07:38:10 am »
One could argue one of the major reasons it's going wrong in the transfer market right now is because largely were after young/undervalued players which is a strategy that comes from FSG

Ha! Its not where we fucked up in the summer though. All of us can see the talent in Can. Markovic and Moreno have shown glimpses too, the young signings weren't an issue.

We've bought experienced players for massive money under FSG too. Carroll, Downing under the previous mangement 55 million. Lallana, Lovren, Balotelli 60 million. That's 115 million spent on established players, all on sizeable wages. There's not 1 player in that group good enough for the starting 11 every week. That's the problem.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2015, 07:39:03 am »
Fsg have spunked hundreds of millions of our money on players the manager doesn't want based on an investment strategy which is complete bollocks. Baseball is a whole different statistical mechanism to football.

They refuse to pay top wages to top talent unless it is to protect the value. SuareZ only got his mega new deal to strengthen liverpools bargaining power when he left in the summer. Experienced senior players have been let go and replaced by potential on 1/4 of the wages. You might get lucky with this strategy once in a blue moon like when we signed Sturridge, Suarez and coutinho but you cannot roll the dice and win for ever.

cyas

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2015, 07:40:38 am »

And this strategy seems to have worked wonders for Dortmund, even Arsenal until recently. When your transfer committe and manager have no alternative to 1 players (Sanchez) while knowing the entire summer Suarez would be off, you have  a problem. When they decide Balotelli and Lambert are the way to replace the best player in the world last season, that's a problem.

We could have got a hell of a lot of quality for a 20 million quid center half on 80 k a week, ditto on a 25 million midfielder on 80 k a week. We ended up with Lovren whose been diabolical and Lallana whose not going to be in the starting 11 when everyone's fit. Shambolic.

The people moaning about wages are fucking hilarious. Southampton are a point away from us. A point!! They churned out a massive profit this season. Their wage bill is a pittance compared to ours.

Atletico sold Costa in the summer, and Filipe Luis. Mandzukic, Greizzman and Siqueira in, bang. Still a fucking top side. None of those players were out of our league financially. We just haven't a fucking clue in the transfer market. With Greizzman and Firmino in the market and available, in what universe is Lallana our 25 million signing?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:43:02 am by torbenpiechnik19 »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2015, 07:41:53 am »
Ha! Its not where we fucked up in the summer though. All of us can see the talent in Can. Markovic and Moreno have shown glimpses too, the young signings weren't an issue.

We've bought experienced players for massive money under FSG too. Carroll, Downing under the previous mangement 55 million. Lallana, Lovren, Balotelli 60 million. That's 115 million spent on established players, all on sizeable wages. There's not 1 player in that group good enough for the starting 11 every week. That's the problem.

Since when was Carroll counting as experienced when we bought him? And Balotelli was another "undervalued" player. Lallana/lovren were on Rodgers, I'm not blaming them for every fault at the club
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:01 am »
Since when was Carroll counting as experienced when we bought him? And Balotelli was another "undervalued" player. Lallana/lovren were on Rodgers, I'm not blaming them for every fault at the club

Well, perhaps not experience, but it was a massive, massive signing. 35 million and 80 k a week. You pay those figures for proven quality. The funds were there to do so, its the manager and the DOF who thought Carroll would be the best use of the funds.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2015, 07:45:35 am »
Well, perhaps not experience, but it was a massive, massive signing. 35 million and 80 k a week. You pay those figures for proven quality. The funds were there to do so, its the manager and the DOF who thought Carroll would be the best use of the funds.

But it again highlights one of the problems in the strategy. The club would rather buy 4 players for £20-25m each rather than 2 top players for £40-50m each. There's an embarrassing lack of world class talent in our squad right now and that's part of the reason why
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2015, 07:46:17 am »
Besides, our best signings under FSG have come from the young and / or undervalued group - Sturridge, Coutinho, Can, Sakho, even Suarez (post bite episode 1: Othman bakkal). I'm sure like any sensible management you want youngish players with quality now and potential to be great later, under Rafa we did similar with his best signings. No one can say they haven't spent money on 'quality' and experience for right now, and for the most part, if not all, FSG have been let down by those doing the recruiting in that area of the market.

It's really that simple, the owners have to do their part and get all the parties with a say on recruitment on the same page, get them working to the best level they can. That is their main job this post season. You simply cannot achieve your targets if you keep failing with the players brought in to help the team straightaway.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2015, 07:47:19 am »

Look there is no doubt merit to that concern

But there's also realising that we nearly just fucking won the league.

Yes - a dose of pragmatism by the club would be welcome. Yes keep trying outsmart our opponents, but maybe mix in a bit of traditional strategy as well, just to keep it balance.

But that doesn't seem to be what the antagonisers on here advocate. They want to stop trying to outsmart and try to compete at a game of waste the fucking money, that we can't compete in anyway, because... I don't know, nearly winning the league for the first time in some time in excess of all expectations is not a good indication of anything.

Offline Giovanni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2015, 07:47:47 am »
it was intended as a statement of intent which back fired massively. It was sheer fucking lunacy and this bollocks will continue until they give Rodgers the flexibility and control he has earnt instead of him shoe horning players he didn't want into positions they weren't bought for
cyas

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2015, 07:48:11 am »
I think your good sense has gone the way of your username. Great that you state completely unsubstantiated conjecture as fact. Well done.

Btw, FSG were plenty nasty enough for the event that probably changed your mind about them like so many others. Farrr too nasty according to most... (including me it must be said)

Probably not much given we didnt hire him for his management skills...

Yes his skills of developing young players apparently. So you honestly believe that if FSG sole aim was to win the biggest trophies they all sat down and went "right lads, we need to get Liverpool football club back winning things, after all that's what it used to do"

Oh I know, Brendan Rodgers.

And then to boot, when Brendan comes close to winning something, we're on the cusp of something here lads, We are winners after all at FSG we go and spunk the money and the opportunity to build. That's how much they wanted Brendan to win, they spent the Suarez money and the CL money on dross. Even though we just needed a few tweaks, a couple of superstars they are so big on winning things they signed no fucking winners.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2015, 07:48:47 am »

Yes - a dose of pragmatism by the club would be welcome. Yes keep trying outsmart our opponents, but maybe mix in a bit of traditional strategy as well, just to keep it balance.

But that doesn't seem to be what the antagonisers on here advocate. They want to stop trying to outsmart and try to compete at a game of waste the fucking money, that we can't compete in anyway, because... I don't know, nearly winning the league for the first time in some time in excess of all expectations is not a good indication of anything.

We won the league on the back of arguably the greatest striker to play for the club, and then he realised the club didn't match his ambitions and moved onto a bigger club. We need to get to that level where players like Suarez don't want to leave as soon as they get good

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2015, 07:49:10 am »
But it again highlights one of the problems in the strategy. The club would rather buy 4 players for £20-25m each rather than 2 top players for £40-50m each. There's an embarrassing lack of world class talent in our squad right now and that's part of the reason why

Lol, great. Lets complain that we cant make 40- 50 million signings. We are sat here complaining about 20-25 million signings!!!!

What the fuck, that's a joke. Dortmund, Atletico have done outrageous things in Europe and rarely ever spent those amounts.

In our own league, until Ozil, Arsenal had never spent over FIFTEEEN million and yet got CL regularly.

Seriously, there's enough funds to compete. Sure, we'll be at a disadvantage to City and Chelsea, but lets come to that when we can actually get into the CL regularly.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2015, 07:51:23 am »
it was intended as a statement of intent which back fired massively. It was sheer fucking lunacy and this bollocks will continue until they give Rodgers the flexibility and control he has earnt instead of him shoe horning players he didn't want into positions they weren't bought for

I have a lot of time for BR, as do most on here.

He's fucking diabolical in the transfer market though. Lovren and Lallana for close to 50 million . Clearly his buys no?

We need a DOF, that bloke from Sevilla or steal Zorc or someone I dunno.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2015, 07:54:13 am »
But it again highlights one of the problems in the strategy. The club would rather buy 4 players for £20-25m each rather than 2 top players for £40-50m each.
Don't you think that's because we can't sign those £40-£50mil players? (Which I believe, right now, we can't)
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2015, 07:54:42 am »
Lol, great. Lets complain that we cant make 40- 50 million signings. We are sat here complaining about 20-25 million signings!!!!

What the fuck, that's a joke. Dortmund, Atletico have done outrageous things in Europe and rarely ever spent those amounts.

In our own league, until Ozil, Arsenal had never spent over FIFTEEEN million and yet got CL regularly.

Seriously, there's enough funds to compete. Sure, we'll be at a disadvantage to City and Chelsea, but lets come to that when we can actually get into the CL regularly.

Well done you managed to completely miss the point and go on some angry rant.

My point is that we lack top quality players because the club consistently goes for quantity over quality

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2015, 07:56:41 am »
Don't you think that's because we can't sign those £40-£50mil players? (Which I believe, right now, we can't)

I think United put to bed the "can't attract" myth last summer. Pay the money and they'll come, as the article on the first page suggests, if London is such a crazy advantage why are Aguero, Silva, RVP etc enjoying life so much a few miles up the road in Manchester.

We need world class players, and it's near impossible to do that if you're going to keep buying 5-8 players every summer rather than focusing on a couple great players

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2015, 07:59:17 am »

Mate, I just told you - you're wasting your breath/fingers in here. Clearly we should have signed Costa instead of Balotelli, Rooney instead of Lallana, Kompany instead of Lovren. It's fucking clear really and FSG should have known. #LFCFamily #YNWA #StrawmanStrawhatStrawberries

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2015, 08:00:45 am »
We won the league on the back of arguably the greatest striker to play for the club

Fucked up strategy if all it gets us is e.g. the greatest striker to play for one of the most successful clubs in history then

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2015, 08:01:23 am »
I think United put to bed the "can't attract" myth last summer. Pay the money and they'll come, as the article on the first page suggests, if London is such a crazy advantage why are Aguero, Silva, RVP etc enjoying life so much a few miles up the road in Manchester.

We need world class players, and it's near impossible to do that if you're going to keep buying 5-8 players every summer rather than focusing on a couple great players
Well Utd had one season out of the CL, and can genuinely pay wages much higher, but maybe we should think about loosening up on that front. On the other point though, paying top dollar for certain players isn't always the way to go. I mean, a lot on here were quite happy for slightly overpaying for Lallana. He was brilliant last season, better than the Ozil who cost about 40mil. It seems we either break our strategy of being financially stable by overpaying in wages or we try the Dortmund appraoch as someone else mentioned.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2015, 08:01:53 am »
Well done you managed to completely miss the point and go on some angry rant.

My point is that we lack top quality players because the club consistently goes for quantity over quality

We lacked depth at the start of this season and needed some more first team squad players to have any chance of competing in the Champions League. It was bloody obvious at the time and we all new it needed to be addressed. Blowing all the Suarez money trying to replace him would have been a fucking disaster but whose to know for sure... I don't have a crystal ball and neither do you.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2015, 08:01:55 am »

Pretty sure we only did that once, and I'm sure the club are madly trying to make sure they do better next time

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2015, 08:03:43 am »
Mate, I just told you - you're wasting your breath/fingers in here.

As I said on my overlooked post on page 1 - I want to antagonisers (including high profile ones like those on TAW) to realise that inciting civil war amongst the supporter base has no upside. I seriously can't understand the motivation

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2015, 08:07:17 am »
Would this article have been written if we won our last two league games?

Of course not, but that's hardly surprising, imagine the articles if we'd lost to Blackburn :D

Offline Giovanni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2015, 08:28:09 am »
I have a lot of time for BR, as do most on here.

He's fucking diabolical in the transfer market though. Lovren and Lallana for close to 50 million . Clearly his buys no?

We need a DOF, that bloke from Sevilla or steal Zorc or someone I dunno.
his buys have been poor yes but there is a lack of accountability when it comes to transfers, and it's blatantly obvious when Rodgers had had a player bought for him who he doesn't rate (Sakho initially, aspas, alberto, balotelli and even Moreno to a point)

The transfer strategy has been a complete fucking mess since day 1. The amount of money we have spunked on average players is staggering and is the reason we are were we are
cyas

Offline Giovanni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2015, 08:30:48 am »
As I said on my overlooked post on page 1 - I want to antagonisers (including high profile ones like those on TAW) to realise that inciting civil war amongst the supporter base has no upside. I seriously can't understand the motivation
Sounds almost word for word the same shit that was being repeated by people under hicks and gillet. If you have a genuine concern then you should air those views.

It's amazing just how much of the point you are missing. I'm siprised you don't sign your posts of ynwa
cyas

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2015, 08:33:36 am »
3 World Series Titles during their 13 years of stewardship at The Red Sox doesn't sound like your average investment plan. They maintained the integrity of the oldest ballpark in the MLB (even with its sub-40k capacity) and facilitate its 820 game sell-out streak.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2015, 08:34:58 am »
Intresting take on things but I dont agree with much of it.

After the season we had last year, arguably our greatest league run in 25 years, how can you be critical? Entertaining edge of the seat football week after week!

Are we a selling club? Isnt every team? Since Bosman and the rise in popularity of the football agents, players get to pretty much pick and choose their futures these days. Loyalty can still be found though, we need only look at our greatest ever player for evidence that it still exists in the modern game.

Even in our 80s pomp, when we were winning trophies for fun, when Juve came sniffing, we parted with our greatest ever goal scorer.

With regards to the stadium devrlopment, well call me sentimental but Im glad were staying put and developing this famous old ground. How many seats does the author suggest we should have? In an age where ticket prices are out of line with what the common fan can afford, then gate receipts are somewhat of a moot point anyway.

I do agree that some of match going fans have changed over the years which has had a knock on effect on atmosphre with day tripping fans being milked for their custom. But this is true across the league at the most succesful clubs. Its the extra revenue that these fans bring that helps finances the transfer dealings. Thats modern football, global brands and all that.

I just feel that this piece has been written some time ago and the author has waited for an opportune moment to release it. Would it have been written had we won our last two league games as someone mentions above, or have they waited for a bad spell in order to achieve the greatest knee jerk reaction?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2015, 08:39:59 am »
Yeah, last summer, the likes of Tadic, Pelle , Alderwield just as a very small example all went to Southampton on extortionate wages didn't they? Insane transfer fees too.

If we'd got them instead of Lallana, Lovren and Balo, we'd be top 4. Our transfers were that pathetic.

And if we were top 4, there'd be fuck all complaints about anyone, let alone the owners, who have done a pretty good job of it thus far.
Our owners live on 'hope' they don't take risk.

They shop at poundland hoping for a steal but don't want to shop at Waitrose for the quality.

Rodger - hope! Players - hope! Stadium - hope! No high quality risk.

Now hiding behind the rubbish FFP to save them.

They can't or don't want to take us to the next level.

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2015, 08:56:14 am »

They shop at poundland hoping for a steal but don't want to shop at Waitrose for the quality.

They're not hiding behind FFP - FFP is a real thing - clubs not complying are going to get beaten around in coming years. Clubs need to live within their means or get ready to cop it big time. How do you feel about not being allowed to make ANY signings for 12 months. Then we'd definitely be stuck with terrible old Coutinho, Moreno, Sakho, Can and all those other "poundland" young signings we've made.

How is expanding Anfield "hope"... it is what all of us have been asking for for years and they're actually making it happen. Are you saying you'd rather we go in to 500mill quid debt to build a new 80k seater stadium and then be stuck paying it off for the next 50 years? No thanks.

How is bringing in Rodgers "hope"... he was and is a good manager. Perhaps you'd prefer we'd stuck with Hodgson, or brought in Mancini to fuck us all over? Bring in some other proven Premier League manager like Allardyce or Martinez? Bring in a mercenary manager like Klinsmann or pay the big bucks and get Guardiola? Again... no thanks.

How is signing players "hope"... every signing has a risk associated with it - The Transfer Committee (if that's a real thing) has weighed up the risks, developed a strategy, and they've followed that strategy.

What on earth is "high quality risk" - As a risk management professional, I'd love to hear that definition.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2015, 09:09:58 am »
If we started this season with a better defender instead of Lovren, a better striker instead of Balotelli and a better wing attacker instead of Marković this article would not exist now. FSG's main and principal problem is the quality of people who scout players and those who conclude deals - this paired with an obvious and quite annoying habit of going after players (no matter how well priced) who are in no way suited to play for Rodgers - is the root of our problems.

They need to take swift and decisive action and demand more return on the money we spend - not in three, four years, but NOW and on the pitch - not in our accounting books.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2015, 09:13:08 am »

Yeah - actually getting everything sorted with the city council and pretty much a guaranteed expansion to 60 k is a hope ?

Players hope? For fucks sake, we have the third highest amount of spending since they have taken over. Is it their fault that we signed Downing when Cazorla was going to non CL Malaga for a lower transfer fee and lower wages? Or when we signed Carroll when the likes of Falcao were making moves to non CL clubs? Yeah, we're shopping in the fucking bargain basement. Spending 25 million on Lallana...clearly a hit and hope punt that.

Seriously, stop blaming everything that's wrong on the owners. There's not much wrong anyway. We just need to sign better players, and that's on the manager and the committee. The strategy is a good one for a non CL club. Smart buys, invest in youth, plan for the long term. The young buys have been good of late in all fairness. Lovren and Lallana weren't in any way cop outs or going bargain basement. We paid top dollar for a defender. 20 fucking million! 25 million for an AM! When you think the likes of Greizzman moved this summer for equivalent amounts, and that Mandzukic moved for fees akin to Balotelli...there's your problem.

We won't be going out and spending 40 million and 200k a week on Aguero's sure, but you don't need to do that to be a good side. Arsenal were a selling club and managed to be in the CL year on year. Dortmund spent fuck all and won their league+ did extremely well in Europe, as did Atletico, and our budgets are far bigger. We just don't know how to sign players.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2015, 09:34:20 am »
Looks like a piece written by Aidy Ward....

:-X
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2015, 09:37:42 am »

You've been on this thread from the start all the way through the night.  A 10/11 hour stint.  Do you not sleep?!  Even if you're in the US it must be the wee small hours by now & sun up in a couple of hours.  Get some kip.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:29 am »
In short, with this article, we've a prominent Spirit Of Shankly figure saying (and correct me if I'm wrong) that we should forget about building the club within our financial means, operate in the transfer market without any kind of eye on asset or resale value, and build a stadium with a capacity about 20,000 beyond what there's any reasonable demand for, with all concomitant cost. This 11 months after we came within inches of winning the league, when Man City put in a miraculous run of form to pip us at the post, slips and Crystal Palace demises or not. I can remember Neil Atkinson on TAW saying, "I'd love to see this side pitted against the likes of Bayern Munich". 11 months ago that.

I doubt anyone can argue about the issues of ticket prices or the creeping wankification of the game at every turn, not least the ground itself, but if one club suffers less than any other it's Liverpool. But beyond that, it reads a bit like a Spirit Of Shankly volte face to wishing for a sugar daddy with a magic wand.

Totally agree. Think people are just desperate for something to have a gripe about. Under FSG, whatever their ills, we've:
a) mostly cleared our debts - don't forget the club was in real danger of administration;
b) enormously improved commercial revenues - in the era of FFP this is vital, and we only just passed last time;
c) won a trophy, and nearly won the league - I saw someone write this was 'only because of Suarez', FSG sanctioned the purchase of Suarez, if they don't get credit for it then I give up;
d) start work on the stadium - that previous owners promised and failed to deliver on, and done it so that we can stay at Anfield and considerably boost capacity;
e) invested heavily in new players - they may have recouped some of this money in sales but their overall outlay in new contracts and fees is significant.

All this says is that you've taken a dislike to them beyond what is proportionate.

Rodgers - talented young manager who has nearly won us the league in his second season!
Players - these guys bought Suarez, spent £35m on Carroll (who they didn't identify...), continued to invest heavily in some of Europe's best talent and have tried to buy players who are now very highly regarded, eg. Sanchez/Costa!
Stadium - ACTUALLY WORKING ON STADIUM, expanding it to nearly 60,000, etc.!

The other thing I don't get is that you say they don't take risks, then say they've taken risks in hiring a young relatively unproven manager and young, relatively unproven players. It's not consistent. How is any of that hope?

Everyone has issues with the modern game, and it is full of problems, but they seem to be doing the best they can in the circumstances. If they want to sell in 10 years, then they'll get the best price if we're a financially viable club with massive attendances playing regularly in the Champions League and winning trophies to expand our global fanbase.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:11:51 am by JerseyKopite »

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2015, 10:20:43 am »
So really, when it comes down to it this is all about results on the pitch so therefore most of the hate for FSG is mostly just hot-air.

We have spent money, so this is not about getting success on the cheap - this is simply trying to compete with other clubs with bigger revenues and deeper pockets. Some are doing it through barely legal means. Do we really want to go down that route just of a few pots? We can't hammer people for not paying the big sums, then complain if things are getting a bit too commercial.

Quite simply, the transfer strategy has to change. If the TC deals with getting in good young talent, then Brendan should be in charge of spending the rest of the money how he sees fit. If a player can improve us either short or long term then we should be able to go for it.

These are not insurmountable issues or a massive change in "vision" from FSG. If the current transfer policy is not reaping the right rewards then they will not simply piss away the money year on year without making changes.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2015, 10:21:25 am »
Totally agree. Think people are just desperate for something to have a gripe about. Under FSG, whatever their ills, we've:
a) mostly cleared our debts - don't forget the club was in real danger of administration;
b) enormously improved commercial revenues - in the era of FFP this is vital, and we only just passed last time;
c) won a trophy, and nearly won the league - I saw someone write this was 'only because of Suarez', FSG sanctioned the purchase of Suarez, if they don't get credit for it then I give up;
d) start work on the stadium - that previous owners promised and failed to deliver on, and done it so that we can stay at Anfield and considerably boost capacity;
e) invested heavily in new players - they may have recouped some of this money in sales but their overall outlay in new contracts and fees is significant.

All this says is that you've taken a dislike to them beyond what is proportionate.

Rodgers - talented young manager who has nearly won us the league in his second season!
Players - these guys bought Suarez, spent £35m on Carroll (who they didn't identify...), continued to invest heavily in some of Europe's best talent and have tried to buy players who are now very highly regarded, eg. Sanchez/Costa!
Stadium - ACTUALLY WORKING ON STADIUM, expanding it to nearly 60,000, etc.!

The other thing I don't get is that you say they don't take risks, then say they've taken risks in hiring a young relatively unproven manager and young, relatively unproven players. It's not consistent. How is any of that hope?

Everyone has issues with the modern game, and it is full of problems, but they seem to be doing the best they can in the circumstances. If they want to sell in 10 years, then they'll get the best price if we're a financially viable club with massive attendances playing regularly in the Champions League and winning trophies to expand our global fanbase.

Yeah but its simpler to call them evil, and blame them for world hunger.

Offline eryder

• Main Stander
  • The end of the match.
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2015, 10:26:29 am »
The article is a reality check, highlighted by the Sterling intrigue. There is an air of identity crisis that was not there before the Utd/Arsenal defeats. Our boat has definately been rocked. Perhaps its a good thing in away to have a look in the mirror and be honest in looking at who you are and where you stand.
YNWA 
Billy Beane is not my lover