Author Topic: Rawk round table THFC 0-5 LFC  (Read 24484 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Rawk round table THFC 0-5 LFC
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »
Crumbs.

One of those days where the other fans will be saying what the fuck happened there.
Perhaps the most impressive thing for me was that apart from a couple of moments, it didn't look at all like Spurs were threatening, and it also looked like it was a routine match for us.

Do we think Henderson maybe feels unshackled by absence of Gerrard?
Do we think Sterling is perhaps justbeginning to get it?
Do we wish we could play them like that every week...

Johnson was perhaps the weakest player on the field, and him and Sakho gave me the jitters occasionally, but otherwise what a lovely treat.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:01:20 pm by Mistletoe & Winesy »
Yep.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
Re: Rawk round table THFC 0-5 LFC
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »
For the first time after years, all the negativity, all the burden, all the baggage just melted away when Flanagan scored. I don't know what it is, maybe it is because my outlook to life has changed recently, but I felt overwhelmingly proud tonight watching the midfield and every player playing for each other. I will remember this match and commentating on it for a long time... I need sometime to recover....

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 03:00:46 am »
Jon Flanagan was about 6 inches shy of scoring his second goal of the day with the last kick of the game.

That sentence shows, without exaggeration, exactly how much better than Tottenham Hotspur we were today.

Teams often grow and decline in cycles - the old guard fade out, the new blood comes in, and the inbetweeners help with the transition.

Today saw a Liverpool team very much on the up.

Simon Mignolet, Mamadou Sakho, Jon Flanagan, Joe Allen, Lucas Leiva, Jordan Henderson, Philippe Coutinho, Raheem Sterling and Luis Suarez are all 26 or below.

Martin Skrtel is 29, as is Glen Johnson.

Luis Alberto is 21, and Victor Moses is still only 23.

The energy, mobility, and precision of passing shown today is a glimpse of the future - a look ahead to Brendan Rodgers' perfected end product. With players like Suarez (17 goals in 11 league games this season) and Daniel Sturridge (9 in 12) not yet hitting their peak years, yet at the same time being the experienced end of the team, the future is exciting. Many people fretted over the absence of Steven Gerrard, but without wishing to downplay the skipper's importance, today we saw what the midfielders are capable of doing when given the freedom to escape his shadow and not have to be concerned with doing his defensive running. The 1-2 (+ Coutinho) midfield was sublime today - and against three very good players, to boot. Jordan Henderson excelled, and if he can keep this form up then he's a shoe-in for Brazil and will be in our midfield for years to come. He seemed to benefit the most from Gerrard's absence, and in a similar vein, Raheem Sterling is benefiting from Sturridge's.

What we saw today - especially in the first 25 minutes - was a quick, tricky, confident winger who was willing to beat his man and make an intelligent choice of delivery. We saw another glimpse into the future - something we hoped we'd get to see when he first broke in to the team. In a battle of the young wingers fighting to be flying to Rio in June, Sterling today showed why he's a better option than Townsend when in this form, even though Townsend is 3 years older.

There are still vital areas to improve in this team. Lucas, despite improving recently and being part of a fantastic unit performance today, still hasn't shown his pre-injury form, where for a while he and Alex Song were streets ahead of every other holding midfielder around. If the Yann M'Vila rumours are true, then he could be put under serious pressure to improve even more sooner rather than later.

It's no secret that Rodgers isn't happy with the left-back situation (again, Flanagan is playing well enough right now and found the second half to be very easy once we had the man advantage today, but he's third-choice in two positions and the committee have been looking at suitable options to replace Enrique and Cissokho for a while). If we were to throw everything at signing someone like Luke Shaw, we would be sorted there for 10 years. The final piece of the first-team jigsaw is a genuinely quality wide man, as we can't expect Sterling to put in today's level of performance for the whole season. We burnt him out last year, and that was when he was sharing the role with Stewart Downing and Suso. Victor Moses isn't the answer.

We're three players away from having a genuinely frightening team, and beyond that we'll likely be looking at a right-sided centre back and a younger replacement for Johnson within the next 2 or 3 windows.

Today will have given many people food for thought. Teams will be scared of us when we play away, not just when we play at home, should we be able to put in more performances like today's. A win against either of Chelsea or City will have people thinking we could be the real deal. It's certainly the closest we've looked since 08-09.

It's been a while since we as Liverpool fans have been able to sit back, ignore the bullshit, and just enjoy watching football.

Cheers, Brendan.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:03:49 am by Col »
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

royhendo

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:05:11 am »
Villas Boas, directly post-match. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25287554

"They came out very strong. We had difficulties controlling their pressing in the first half."

Then Rodgers.

"We pressed. The game was very good tactically. I was really impressed, when they went down to ten men, how we pressed it tactically even harder. We pressed it even more, and shortened the pitch...

...our midfield three dominated the game, with the ball and without the ball, and pressed it well. ...we showed a lovely arrogance with the ball, and defended with great intensity and pressure."

That was off the BBC site.

Jonathan Wilson's match report now.
Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/liverpools-five-star-show-piles-on-the-misery-for-tottenham#ixzz2ncUhtKEq

Liverpool’s control of midfield – the one area in which Tottenham had been consistently impressive this season – was extraordinary. Jordan Henderson, not for the first time, seemed to grow in the absence of Steven Gerrard, a powerful and intelligent presence who in the space of one first-half minute sprayed a 50-yard pass to either flank.

Joe Allen, so derided last season, was neat and effective in his distribution, the pace and quality of Liverpool’s pressing and passing leaving Spurs puffing in their wake.

“It’s the most complete performance since I took over,” said the Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers as his side moved to within two points of league-leading Arsenal.

“We were like animals in our hunger for the football, and once we got it, our use of it was outstanding.”

Music to the ears. I wish Flanno had gotten that 6th.

I said to a mate in the morning (Man City fan who lives in Dundee) that we'd upped our tempo when Gerrard came off against West Ham, as he was suggesting it was a big problem, and there was the proof. They dominated a big strong midfield three. I'm actually quite happy Gerrard's gonna miss those big games ahead, because it might highlight his flat track bully role going forward from here, particularly if we add more of that physically imposing quality in January.

Sterling did really well, didn't he? Sakho looks bloody good. Mignolet still made me wince when Soldado went in on him - so slow, it was hilarious. And when the ball bounced over Loris's head, I shouted at the telly in the pub "Ah ya daft wee bugger!" when Luis didn't take it first time on his left foot, which he's more than bloody capable of doing. He made up for it though eh? Could have been 8-0.

I keep saying it, but this is a season to savour.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:18:57 am by toyhendo »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:25:58 am »
Have to have a heart of stone not to feel the pleasure the whole team took from Flanagan scoring. Henderson's was important too; reward for him following the game plan and being far more than just 'does a lot of work' yesterday. Got man of the match, and I'd include Allen within that award too because the pair of them were superb in making things work on the pitch. Henderson stole the limelight, grabbed it with both hands really, but that came from the hard work of others too, Allen chief amongst them. Was personally delighted for Sterling to get on the scoresheet with a lovely placed finish there at the end because you'll not see a fullback pulled off at halftime too often and he played a large role in demoralising that makeshift Spurs' defence from the very start of the match.

Rodgers set out the game plan post match - high defensive line meets pressure and midfield runners, fails to cope, gets destroyed. By the end, the Spurs back four were being picked off whilst strung across their own six yard line and with their keeper rooted to his line. It was ruthless stuff at times, and Villa Boas looked near to tears as the goals went in. It could have been far, far worse for them too. 5-0 flatters them, not us. And that was a pressure game, one which would have pulled us back into the pack chasing fourth had we lost, but instead has given us a wee bit of breathing space going into a Christmas run with some tough games ahead.

Perfect storm perhaps? Although it feels a little more than that given the absences yesterday. Col's highlighted the youth in that team, and post-match you had Suarez talking about 'the team' and 'the group'. Was a proper captain's performance from him in honesty - he's just a remarkable player, in remarkable form, and it's well worth just watching those two goals again. He's made it seem commonplace which is mindblowing considering what he's doing on the pitch at the moment. Gerrard in the studio said that he thinks he's the best in the world right now. You can feel everyone else moving to a very similar viewpoint this season. And then you've got Sakho at the other end, another captain in the making, growing into the team and looking increasingly assured as an outlet from the back and a whisker away from a goal himself.

Right team, right game plan, well executed with a lot of energy, with every player stepping up to the job required, and players really working for each other as they hunted Spurs down in little packs and an away support you looked at in envy and wished you'd been able to join. It's a promise of what could be in store in the future. We'll have hiccups and more bumps along the way, but we're on the right path and we'd be daft not to enjoy watching this team when it turns in performances like this over 90 minutes.

We're getting to the stage when we start looking at the progression of the team under Rodgers and when you see performances from the whole team like yesterday, you can only be optimistic for the future as we build towards seeing that kind of performance more consistently. So much room for improvement, but it's a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon watching it being put together.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:24:46 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:28:36 am »
Okay - devil's advocate. Enjoyable though it was, are we really able to draw many complacent conclusions from this match? We played a side whose personnel had been depleted by injury and a Thursday night Europa Cup excursion and whose manager played a make-shift back four in a high line, somehow gambling that his conservatism on the rest of the pitch would compensate without losing attacking threat. It was bizarre from Spurs. So bizarre I have no way of measuring how good we were. We were certainly pumped and focussed. Would the team have responded so vigorously to Gerrard's absence had we been playing Hull?
Truer tests to come *mutter, mutter* and all that.

But it was bloody great to humiliate Spurs.   ;D

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:38 pm »
I was hoping for 3 points, but now somehow 3 points doesn't seem enough. Can't we get 6 for that?

Rodgers was right in commending our pressing - right from the word go. When we hunt in packs like that with everyone doing the 'Lucas tackle' (around the 'wrong' side) we are formidable. The Spurs midfield was full of big burly players who are meant to pose problems for our smaller, more fragile types. But Dembele, Paulinho and Chadli must be feeling very bruised this morning. Joe Allen, in particular, would not let Tottenham settle on the ball. Along with Henderson and Suarez he was contender for Man of the Match. Though Lucas and Sterling were almost as impressive.

I hope the team begins to look on itself now as Title-contenders. They don't have to talk about it, especially outside of Melwood, but I'm hoping that this game constitutes another step towards the self-belief that champions need.

In that spirit here are a few problems that, if solved, will mean we can be stronger still. Skrtel was poor. Sounds mean to say so after a 0-5 victory but he had little to do and what he did was not good enough. He is especially still poor on the ball. Too many times he declined to go forward into space and chose to turn around and pass back to Mignolet instead. That's as good as giving the ball away. If Spurs had pressed us like we pressed them he would have suffered like Dawson & Capoue suffered. We also got away with some lax marking in the box. A completely free header went sailing over the bar in the first half and when Skrtel pulled at the shirt of Soldado at the start of the second we survived a very good penalty shout.

Glen Johnson is still playing dozily. I'm not sure whey this is? Is he tired or something?

When is Simon Mignolet going to learn to punch the ball properly - or even command his 6-yard box when the crosses come in?

Coutinho. A beautiful footballer who is wasted on the left flank. When he came into the centre after Lucas was substituted (and Henderson fell back) he was sublime. Yes, Spurs were tired and down to 10 men, but suddenly Coutinho made sense. We scored twice with him there. Really we ought to have scored 4 or 5.

I don't know what the solution to this is. It certainly isn't dropping Lucas. And - at least when playing against such a suicidal high line as Tottenham's - it isn't moving Henderson to the flank. But if we are to mount a Title challenge I do know that Coutinho must be less peripheral.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 03:34:41 pm »
Two little points - Jon Flanagan has gotten AVB the sack. I think we should consider that payback for an Erik Edman 45-yard pearler into the top bin.

Second, it seems like we've scored more fours this season than the English middle order.

Good times ahead.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:20:12 pm »

Perhaps. I also think Joe Allen played extremely well and Lucas seemed to benefit from being paired with them. I hate the 'We're better without Gerrard' train of thought as it's simplistic and, given his assists etc incorrect, but it can be the case that other players play better themselves without him in the side, I don't think it's heresy to say that.

Delighted for Henderson, as other's have said that game was tailor made for him but still, very impressive to play the way he did both on and off the ball, and I suspect he will have won over a lot of doubters. He strikes me as a player who feeds off confidence so I'm excited to see how he plays against City and Spurs.

Quite possibly. Hopefully. Was a very encouraging game although he'd love to be up against Naughton every week of course. I remain excited about his potential and if he can start playing like this regularly we have a player on our hands.

Absolutely, they basically set up to play to our strengths and never adapted. Will be fascinating to see who comes in now, perhaps the club legend Hoddle? For all the Eileen Drewery craziness he was an excellent manager, that 0-0 with England in Italy to qualify for France 98 was very impressive and sticks in the memory.

I still don't understand why when Kelly plays, he plays RB and Johnson plays LB but when Flanno plays, he plays LB? Would love a technical explanation from one of our experts. Was delighted for Flanno who deserved that goal and is a real asset to have in the squad.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 06:05:04 pm »
Stunning!..Straight from the off we went at them, closed down , chased and when in possession looked for openings...and boy did we find them. Regardless what the London centric Spurs obsessed media think, Spurs where stunned into submission and never got the chance to play, regardless of their (ex) manager.

Individually and as a team we played great, with notable performances, Sterling has now set a base mark for his future  performances as has Henderson and Flanagan, lets hope they can keep to them. Luis was ..well...Luis.

With a performance like that the confidence must grow and we must build on it.

I think our best away league performance in years ( since United in 09?) ....so good it had this soft lad standing up and singing FOAR and Scouser Tommy to the TV along with the away fans, on me own in the living room and I didn't  give a shit what those people thought walking past our house.....though it has to be said by that point wine had been taken.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 06:10:14 pm »
Firstly, goddamn. Secondly, holy crap, goddamn.

In Context, that is the best away game I have ever seen Liverpool play against Spurs, ever. And I have been supporting Liverpool 30 years now. I think I heard somewhere that this was the best away result to Spurs, ever.

Liverpool fans, young and old, I urge you, don't treat this as another routine away win, results like this are once in a  lifetime. Relish it, these are the games you will still be talking about 30 years from now. Games like this are the reason we watch the sport, quite incredible.

Caveats: there are a few, always will be. Not many though. Firstly, Spurs were missing a few players and had played midweek. The big one though was the way they were set-up. A big physical, but not technically brilliant midfield and a slow back four playing a  high line - madness, no idea what AVB was playing at, but that still doesn't detract from the performance.

In terms of the performance, how often have you watched a game and thought 'everyone has played brilliantly there'? Not often I will warrant, but that's how I felt watching that game. Maybe Mignolet and Johnson didn't excel, but for the former, he didn't need to, since Sterling was busy eviscerating Naughton, for the latter he didn't have a chance to excel, so ordinary were Spurs. As the OP notes, one blasted shot over the bar and one free header was all they had. Astonishing.

To sum up, a magnificent performance, just magnificent. I can't really warm to Rodgers as a person, but as a coach I have had my doubts. By and large they have been allayed this season. He's doing a  terrific job at the minute.

In answer to the OP's Qs:

Henderson has been playing well this year, if anybody was unshackled it was actually Allen. The concern all season has been the slow, static midfield. Those problems were magnified last year when ALlen played beside Gerrard. This year, the triuminative of Henderson, Allen and Lucas looked very comfortable together, mobile with quick, neat passing. I would say though that SPurs leaving acres of space in behind them suited Henderson down to the ground but he exploited that space brilliantly and was my MotM. I think for the next few games, away to Chelsea and City, it might be a blessing in disguise to be without Gerrard and Sturridge - they will be forced to play a 5 man midfield with the leagues best striker up front on his own, but that midfield, particularly Henderson, has the energy to get up and support him. 
Do we think Sterling is perhaps just beginning to get it?

He was fantastic yesterday, as well as last week. His final ball needs some work, but for a 19 year old, he is some talent. When you think of Jordan Ibe coming through as well, its frightening.

Only if they keep using formations and set ups that maximize their weaknesses and Liverpool's strengths like they did yesterday...
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 06:19:17 pm »
We had a very good performance and some aspects were key
- pressing
- use of the ball and lack of errors
- not conceding dangerous set pieces (something we've struggled to deal with)
- taking our chances
- individually matched up we were better all over the park
- the opposition had a dreadful game and then had a player sent off

One of those games were everything just clicks for you and nothing goes the way of the opposition. What's encouraging is that we've shown we can win games by playing at our best. Now the challenge is to show we can maintain this level for beyond 2-3 games and go on a little bit of a run of games without defeat. Let's not forget that there are still some weaknesses that need ironing out that only a week ago we were harping on about

It's easy to get carried away on the back of one exceptional performance so I'll be on a high until the Cardiff game but from then we've still got a lot of hard work to do to meet our objective for the season. We aren't even halfway yet and as they say a week is a very long time in football.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 06:28:16 pm »
We.
Were.
Fucking.
Amazing.

Will be lots of words written and spoken about the how's and whys. About Villas Boas. About Gerrard and if he is a help or hinderance. About lines higher than an old man's trousers on a cold day. About Suarez and goal scoring records. About pressing and animals and arrogance and the fact all future fast moving hurricanes should just all be named Jordan. About unleashed Beasts and reborn Slovakians and Belgian keepers who may as well have had drinks delivered to his goal to start the party early. About Scouse youngsters deemed league 1 standard all a robochubby beneath a pile of nationalities united in their joy for him.
Lots of words. But ultimately.

We.
Were.
Fucking.
Amazing.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 06:29:20 pm »
I'll write more later but did you know the match ended with 62 liverpool passes ???!?! without a Spurs player touching the ball, finishing with Flanagan just missing the 6th

A total utter dismantling of a top 6 side; we haven't done that since Rafa

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »
That was the most collective performance I've seen under Rodgers and the best performance I've seen from us in about four years.

One of the things that's disappointed me about Rodgers so far has been the lack of a collective identity in midfield; a lack of ability to control space, to put pressure on the ball, to play in a coordinated manner defensively (not just a midfield problem). Yesterday though, we saw that brilliantly. Compact, disciplined (we didn't go and press them really high up the pitch but our defensive movements and coordination was good and we pressed really well in the middle third). Our attack was made far easier by the way Tottenham defended and in truth it was fairly basic plans that broke them down but we ripped them apart in every way yesterday and that was so pleasing to see

Possibly. But I also think his role yesterday and the players around him, suited him down to the ground. He wasn't a compensation player, covering for other other players like he has often been; he did have to cover a bit defensively for Coutinho when we were pushed deeper but apart from that he could generally concentrate on his own role. Having Lucas behind him picking up Paulinho or Holtby between the lines, and Allen alongside him, meant he had defensive intelligence and support and because of the collective way we defended, it suited him massively. Then in attack he pretty much needed to just make runs behind their high line when Suarez dropped deep and took a centre back with him.

The thing that I was most impressed by was the quality in some of his passing. That lovely pass he played to Coutinho without looking is the one that stands out. That's the thing that most surprised me about yesterday's performance from him.

I think he's probably just got his confidence back. He was facing an out-of-his-depth left back in Naughton but he completely had the better of him. Again Tottenham contributed to his performance - the fact he was continually allowed to get 1v1 with Naughton with no cover and the fact with them playing such a high line, it suited him as well but he just seemed to have so much confidence. That goal against Norwich seems to have done him so much good.

Every Spurs weakness suited us so much. The high line without any pressure on the ball, poor defensive reading - it was just made for us playing at a high intensity and having midfield runners behind. In all honesty, we didn't have to have some mega detailed tactical plans to hurt them defensively. We could either just play it long over the top behind their centre backs or have Suarez come short and one or two players running behind. But it hurt them so much. I can't really understand why Villas Boas would play such a high line without the defenders or the pressing to support it but we looked so confident attacking it.

But then again, I was massively impressed by our overall coherence off the ball yesterday and how we pressed. Yesterday's performance is almost everything you could possibly want from a Liverpool performance. We still look vulnerable in certain areas - I can still see us getting isolated on the left hand side defensively against Flanagan and behind Sakho as well and Tottenham made it far easier to dominate but we were brilliant.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 06:52:37 pm »
This performance puts into my mind what I'd been thinking for a while now. Seems very silly but thought i'd just put it out there.
I think formations speak better than words at least in my case so;

..................Mignolet..........................................................................Mignolet                                                                                 

Sakho...Skrtel/Toure....Agger............................................Sakho.......Skrtel/Toure.....Agger

Gerrard..........Lucas..............Sterling.....................................Allen.............Lucas......

..............Allen......Henderson                                        or..............Henderson

...................Coutinho..............................................Sterling............................................Coutinho

..................Suarez....................................................................Gerrard & Suarez (up front)

We all know that its not Stevie's preferred position, but play him out on the right? If not, play him behind the striker with a 3-6-1. Diamond in midfield. Just my thought.
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 06:53:37 pm »
and the big lesson from all this?

is that other small weakness's that turn tight games and drop points, mean very little except as a foot note if you set up to win the midfield battle.

We mauled them in the middle and we won. We have excellent forwards and more than capable defenders, a quality keeper to keep the ball out of our net. And yesterday we had a fast mobile ferocious midfield three that absolutely mugged Spurs every time they tried to keep the ball. And once we had mugged them we used the ball quickly, short, long or in between.

Win the midfield like that and you will win the game 9 0ut of 10.

We haven't often bossed a midfield like that before. And we haven't often played (or ever) those 3 in a midfield before. coincidence?

Offline Liam N

• Main Stander
  • Everything that has a beginning has an end
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 06:58:05 pm »
Maybe it's the wrong thread to ask, but does anybody know where can I download the MOTD highlights of the game? It was such a great performance, that I want to rewatch it many times in the future. 
Oh, and if somebody can also provide me with the Norwich highlights, I'll be a very happy man.

Cheers!
Journalist: Are you jeopardising your legendary status by returning?
Kenny: Quite the reverse, I think it would have been on the line if I never took it.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 07:00:16 pm »
Have seen a few people calling this game a coming of age for Henderson, him emerging from Gerrard's shadow. All that jazz. So thought I might throw my thruppence worth in.

Personally I'm not all that invested in it as a theory. Not least because Hendo has been playing well for a long time now, this performance wasn't all that difference to the one he put in against Newcastle away last season, for example.

But mostly because Spurs completely played in to his hands. Here is a player who absolutely eats up the yards if you let him get up a head of steam. And what do Spurs do? They leave all the room in the world for him to move in to. That high line was suicidal. And Hendo made no mistake about punishing them.

But then, we've always known he can do that. So we didn't learn anything from that particularly, beyond the fact that Vilas Boas is perhaps not the tactical genius he'd like to paint himself as.

There was some other stuff on show from Hendo, a few lovely passes, raking passes. But anyone who's seen him play for England U21s knew he had that in his locker as well. Provided he has time and space.

And that's what I feel Henderson's game revolves around. Time and space. When he space he'll run you ragged, when you give him time he'll be much more dangerous with the ball. Spurs gave him both.

Would I expect the same sort of performance from him when things are tighter, with a defensive line that isn't comically high? Absolutely not. Not yet. But for these sort of games, away from home to teams that will be attempting to be progressive he is perfectly suited to bringing them down several rungs. A bona fide weapon in our arsenal.

At home to teams which sit deep and are defending for their very lives? Nah. So yeah, I think the calls of Hendo emerging from his cocoon are wide of the mark. But thats not to say he wasn't absolutely fantastic out there because he certainly was. This was a game tailor made for his abilities. 

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »
Savage performance - right from the off you could see a change in attitude, getting onto the front foot.

I think Sterling epitomised this, getting his foot in, taking on naughton every chance he got, really taking the game to them - and it seemed to be that way with everyone
Spurs made it easy with their high line, so they were emphatically punished

postives:
-Henderson's constant forward runs meant he was almost an extra striker
-Sahko's coolness on the ball and some beautiful passes from defence into the final third, so so effective
-great passing and pressing from the midfield
-a clean sheet

negatives:
-Glen Johnson giving the ball away repeatedly

This same attitude must be carried on to the Cardiff game and there after

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 07:14:12 pm »
We still! pass for passing's sake across the back four that puts us under unnecessary pressure and is all so, so avoidable. These passages of play may well be under orders, but sometimes Bren, when you've got to go long, you've got to go long.
It will cost us goals this passing for passing sake across the back four and gives the impression to the opposition that they are doing something right, when in fact, it's us doing something wrong. Pack it the fuck in.

And I'm sorry, but Johnson is worrying the fuck out of me - when he hasn't got the ball and he's doing the defencive bit, he's just not there. far to many times he backs off and allows attackers to come into the box before engaging them, then, we run the risk of a more than predictably awkward challenge from him. Last time I looked, you engage outside the box. And I believe he's got a serious issue with his acceleration as he won't get tight and allows attackers far too much space, which in turn allows them to get across in as he's two - three yards away from them.

Other than that, ye, it was alright wasn't it.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 07:15:56 pm »
Just a couple thoughts....Sterling's diagonal pass to Coutinho for the Henderson/Suarez/Henderson shots and Henderson goal....immense. He was getting shut down by 2 Spurs players and just walloped that crossfield pass right into Coutinho's feet. Cou 1 touched it to Henderson and LLoris made 2 great saves only for Hendo to smash it in the back of the net. That's fun to watch.

Raheem's pressing is as good as anyone's I've seen and luckily the ref understood that it's not a foul when you win the ball in a standing tackle. \

"Pack of animals" just might stick. I like it.

Sahko is better than good.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 07:33:32 pm »
I think most points have been covered and the overall performance was something to remember, however I am still chuckling over Suarez' first. That dip of the shoulder which allowed Kylie Walker to make a complete fool of himself, followed by a little left foot pass into the unguarded part of the goal,  ;D
It was the way Kylie slid past - it was sublime, and the Hodge was watching it too.
I have been sticking up for Henderson since he came here, and I thought yesterday he showed us that he has the potential to captain us. Ok he is not quite Steven Gerrard but he bossed the midfield yesterday, and his goal was well taken. Goals from midfield are what have been sadly missing over the past couple of years, and we nearly had two from full back, Flanno almost Lawler-esque in his late arrival into the box. I am an aularse when it comes to talking of titles. We took our lead from Bill, and then Bob... One game at a time, keep winning each game and then see where we are in May, focus on Cardiff then we look at the next game. Having said that, to win down there where we have had a torrid time in recent years was something special, to do it with such style will have the other buggers looking around worrying about US. The reds are coming up the hill boys.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 07:39:06 pm »
The way City struggled against southamptons pressing has me confident of a good result at the Etihad if we press like we did yesterday.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »
We had three players on the pitch just itching for a goal to boost their confidence....all three scored.  That was the best part for me.  Jordan and Sterling needed it the most as we expect them to get goals and their finishing hasn't been great this season.  Flanagan needed it to continue his growth and prove to himself he can do it all at this level.

I'd expect Sterling and Henderson to have 5+ each and really hope Flanagan can get one more so he knows it wasn't a fluke.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:55 pm »
We were boss. Simple as that. All the players in red deserved to wear that shirt yesterday.

From minute 1 to 93 we bossed it. Allen, Henderson and Lucas were all great but for me Sterling was our best player, he tore their LB apart.

JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »
I agree that Spurs tactics suited Hendo down to the ground but I did have great hopes for this midfield going into the game. After seeing Joe Allen return to form last week against West Ham the signs were good especially as Jordan seems to be overawed by Gerrard most of the time.

Luis was the leader and we take for granted how he scored that first vital goal. Did anyone doubt he would find the net when he started dribbling into the area with two defenders and a goalie to beat. He makes it look easy on the replay but boy did he fool Walker who  finished on his arse touching nothing but fresh air after his slide.

I heard BR say that as Luis stood in the tunnel with the armband on he was a signal that this is a Liverpool who will fight for everything. I like that.

I noticed Mignolet was especially nervous as I suspect Rodger's had made it clear we could afford no mistakes which would give them that vital first goal.I doubt he has played in many games where all the team were under pressure to produce. The first of many such pressure games we hope.

A clean sheet at last although Johnson still gives cause for concern on our right flank. He seems to be slow in making up his mind what his next move or pass should be. Not sure how far Kelly is from making a challenge to his spot.

Flanagan had a blinder and I remember Insua getting his first goal in London at Highbury. I think Jon has the defensive capability to do better than Emiliano but it's early days.

Cardiff next who turned out to be no pushovers at Wembley. Please lads don't go out thinking it will be easy.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 08:10:35 pm »
What a performance. I've watched other teams give good teams a drubbing but I didn't think we had it in us.

Suarez...........nothing needs to be said about his incredible talent. He does things that neither Messi nor Ronaldo can do and to be honest I'd rather watch Suarez (and I don't give a flying turtle's arse who thinks that is OTT).

Henderson. He stamped his mark on that match and I'd give him MOTM.

Allen......starting to play and I will admit that I had written him off a bit.

Sterling........now that's what I'm talking about.

Coutinho........slick and fast thinking.

We murdered that team and it was such an embarrassment that they sacked their manager.

What did we do that was good? We passed the ball quickly and we spotted the free man quickly. Henderson's goal was my favourite. I think it was Sterling who played a superb cross field ball to Coutinho who deftly laid it into Henderson's path. The keeper saved the shot and in a flash Suarez followed up and the keeper saved again. Henderson was first to react and slotted home. It was a short but relentless move and so effective. The desire to score was there to see.

What I liked most was the speed of pass and touch and most of all the way our midfield was prepared to run from deep past our ball carrier and in behind the Spuds' defence.

The only negative is that we cannot play them every week. Their high line defence played right into our hands. We'll not find it so easy to break into the box again.

A master-class of finishing from Suarez and a great performance by Henderson.

I loved the way every player joined in on the celebrations and I guess Flanno felt a bit squashed under the ruck after he scored.
#JFT97

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 08:15:16 pm »
Maybe it's the wrong thread to ask, but does anybody know where can I download the MOTD highlights of the game? It was such a great performance, that I want to rewatch it many times in the future. 
Oh, and if somebody can also provide me with the Norwich highlights, I'll be a very happy man.

Cheers!

Better: http://fm.lfc.vn/tottenham-full-match-w16/
Ludi Circenses!

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 08:16:56 pm »
#JFT97

Offline Liam N

• Main Stander
  • Everything that has a beginning has an end
Journalist: Are you jeopardising your legendary status by returning?
Kenny: Quite the reverse, I think it would have been on the line if I never took it.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 08:23:36 pm »
THFC's tactics were tailor-made for Henderson to shine. He took his opportunity well, so happy days.

A bit of luck was required for us not to get punished off some imprecise and hesitant ball circulation in our defensive third.

Suarez, despite scoring two, did not have his best 'finishing' boots on.

Allen was outstanding in terms of pressing and passing.

Mignolet remains a great shot-stopper, but in terms of a. how he deals with high-crosses and b. in terms of ball-control and passing need to improve.

Lucas, without having the benefit of a second viewing of the match, was OK. Nothing outstandingly good, and a couple of weak moments.

Johnson: I'll leave it to less negatively biased folks to comment on.

Coutinho and Sterling performed their duties well, although Coutinho was knackered a bit earlier than I had anticipated.

Flanagan, even without his excellent debut goal, was very good.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 08:32:40 pm »
Okay - devil's advocate. Enjoyable though it was, are we really able to draw many complacent conclusions from this match? We played a side whose personnel had been depleted by injury and a Thursday night Europa Cup excursion and whose manager played a make-shift back four in a high line, somehow gambling that his conservatism on the rest of the pitch would compensate without losing attacking threat. It was bizarre from Spurs. So bizarre I have no way of measuring how good we were. We were certainly pumped and focussed. Would the team have responded so vigorously to Gerrard's absence had we been playing Hull?
Truer tests to come *mutter, mutter* and all that.

But it was bloody great to humiliate Spurs.   ;D

This.

I said the same when we beat Chelsea under Kenny as an example, as I hadn't seen such a disjointed performance from a chelsea side before ( it wasnt down to us outplaying them IMO ) that and you have to take these things into account to get a little context or perspective. After watching yesterday's game I felt the same, that spurs team had walked onto the pitch with their shorts around their ankles and praying they didn't get abused to hard or for too long IMO. We also had a ref who gave most decisions to us IMO which made a pleasant change.

However enough of how shite spurs were, flanno impressed, Henderson shone yesterday making and scoring goals, coutinhio did well, Allen did well, Lucas was quietly effective and I'm tired of how great not good Suarez is, my vocabulary cannot do that man justice but as captain yday, thought he had stepped up to the plate and played a captains game... Must stop before my man bits self combust.

I'm not in love with Brendan as some are, but hats off to how he has kept us in the running, again IMO having a full week to prep and prepare has proven very beneficial to us, don't want to come across like a miserable so and so, I'll end it here and would suggest let's see where we stand come end of March, it's crazy close in this league and would like to avoid reading suicidal posts if we don't make Top 4 !

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 08:41:51 pm »

...., don't want to come across like a miserable so and so....

?
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 08:51:04 pm »

?

I mean in in comparison to some of the other posts, didn't want to rain on fellow reds who have been made happy by this result and I'm happy, just not as deliriously happy as others :)

Offline burriana

• Kopite
  • Oh you beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 08:57:21 pm »
Can I just say that I thought that (at times) we looked like Barca in their full pomp and prime yesterday.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 09:04:17 pm »
The most gratifying aspect of this for me has been that Rogers has been consistently mentoring us supporters along about what he wants, what it would like, the different parts of the club that need to be improved and has proceeded to get players to perform better step by step.  Henderson, Sterling and even Suarez are all in positions where the game has slowed down for them and they are ahead of curve.

The consistency with which Rogers offered his ideas, how he had gone about implementing (man management) and how the players are performing stand as the single biggest objective of the post-Kenny hire. 

And now we have the visual template of what that looks for everybody to see forever 5 - 0 Tottenham (Liverpool's management team's signature performance).  To sit in on the match analysis (pre and post) would have been amazing.   Well done Brendan and lads!  A new chapter on the best book I have ever read --- YNWA
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 09:08:42 pm »
There's not many times where you get an unexpected (postive) result. Most of us thought that a draw would be good with a 1-0 win pretty much the limit of the ambitions of the supporters.

Isn't it fantastic that Brendan wanted a win, and he set the team up to do just that. I mentioned in the post-match thread that I have a slight doubt about his tactical acumen, the ability to set the team up to win a match and this is mostly based on the the way he seems to have been out-thought in certain matches over the last 16 months or so. Obviously the mitigating factors are his age and the fact that Rafa was so good at this aspect. Hopefully this points to the fact that he is learning and developing himself.

He saw weaknesses in Spur's defence, midfield & attack and sought to exploit them. We pressed them, got men forward to support Suarez (something we didn't do against Hull) and made the most of their mistakes.

Probably a little unfair to both Stevie and Hendo. Hendo has played well this season and these are the occasions where you would want him to shine (in the absence of the captain), hopefully he is getting to the stage where is he is no longer overawed by the senior players, and just plays his own game (as per the boss's instructions).

Do we think Sterling is perhaps just beginning to get it?
Maybe it is just a confidence thing which affects these types of players, especially at that age. What was good was that he made the right choices yesterday, whether it was to take on the FB, make an offensive pass, or to play a safe neat ball back and keep the move going. Of course, his execution was so much better and he put in some great crosses. At this stage, I don't mind mistakes if the intention is good, but he shouldn't feel that he has to beat 2-3 players to make a difference (which he did in vain against Hull)

Do we wish we could play them like that every week...  :)
Oh yes, but I'd settle for the playing them for the last two games of 2013 :)
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 09:11:49 pm »
I've always envied arsenal abit for the style their team plays which is so beautiful and entertaining to watch, but I must say yesterday's game was better than even the best arsenal displays I've seen. We played with the same quick passing, albeit with such a directness and willingness run at them that at times it seemed like counter attacking football at its best, despite the fact we were winning the ball closer to their goal than to ours.
Pure bliss

Offline duelcandle

• Kemlynite
  • Adam & Callum forever
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:31 pm »
Brendan has apologised to AVB and Spurs on the main site.
 :)
Middle Linner