Author Topic: Alan Hansen: Hitting the Wrong Targets Again  (Read 15122 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Alan Hansen: Hitting the Wrong Targets Again
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:36:46 am »
Almost two years after I wrote a piece pulling apart an Alan Hansen attack on low-flying Liverpool, the ex-captain is back with some more heavy criticisms.

I've no problem with him criticising the club, and if there's ever a time to be critical of performances it's now. But I just wish he'd get it right, and show a bit more balance in his approach to criticism. For me, he's been as off-target as many of the Reds' shots this season.

Hansen was on my mind anyway. I've only just finished writing 'Golden Past, Red Future Revisited' for a new anthology I'm releasing, and that involved reassessing Alan Hansen's stinging criticism of Benítez in January 2005, while simultaneously reassessing my response to it. I'm more than happy to admit to the things I got wrong in that book, and indeed do so in this new book, but the Hansen critique is not one of them. Everyone gets stuff wrong in football writing, as no one has a crystal ball, but at least consider all angles regarding what you're saying.

There are problems at the moment, that's clear. And the performance at Old Trafford, once United scored, was incredibly limp, as the confidence visibly drained from the players. But too many of the things Hansen identifies are lazy criticisms dressed up as facts.

United's success in the game came through three home-grown players immersed in the club, according to Hansen. But we had two out there, Gerrard and Carragher, and neither played well. Gerrard seemed to moan more than encourage, while Carra, despite his unstinting effort, was at fault in some way for both goals (the second due to injury, admittedly).

Why all the talk of locals again, when there were so few during Hansen's halcyon days? Xabi Alonso, a Spaniard, gives 100% every single game, even if he's not a blood-and-thunder type player. He cares. His form has been stodgy this season, but we've had two great years from him. The same can be said of Carragher and Gerrard. All three care; none is playing anywhere near their best.

Momo Sissoko, who's only been at the club 15 months, was our best player at Old Trafford, all over the pitch working his extra-long socks off. He's not local, nor immersed in the club. He's just a great player and a hard worker with lungs of titanium. Sami Hyypia's commitment can never be questioned, even if his form can be. How local is he?

As for Hansen's talk of the Reds lacking a striker capable of 20 league goals a season since the sale of Michael Owen, it has to be pointed out that Owen never actually scored 20 league goals in a season. Of course, he came close, with a 19 and a couple of 18s, and was capable of getting 20 if he stayed fit long enough.

But where did that get the Reds? Not as many points as Benítez's team managed last season, with no striker even making double figures, while the top scoring striker on the run to winning the European Cup in 2005 was Milan Baros, with just two goals. And Chelsea have won the league the last two years with low-scoring forwards, as have teams on a number of occasions since the Premiership began.

Dirk Kuyt could well be capable of 20 Premiership goals a season, and that has to be the aim, but he needs time to adjust. He's scored as many league goals as £30m Shevchenko, rated the best finisher in the world, in far less minutes on the pitch. Okay, so it's not saying much. But until this point Kuyt has looked better value. It took Michael Owen a while to adapt to life in Madrid, and to find his scoring boots, so why should Kuyt be any different here? Newcastle then paid £17m for Owen, and will be lucky to get more than ten games out of him in his first two seasons.

Hansen then says the club's limited funds mean it has to buy 'maybe' players between £4-9m: "That gets you 'maybe' players, footballers who could do a job but who would be dangerous to rely on in a crisis."

Well, Reina was in that price range, and he was superb last season, as he had been in Spain for a number of years, despite still being just 23; but now, as a young keeper, he's not playing so well, so he's crap, right? Sissoko was another. He's been a real steal, and while he can be rash with his passing (take your time, Momo) he's superb for his age. Luis Garcia is another, and while he's in and out, he's scored a lot of important goals that are worth their weight in gold.

Peter Crouch cost £7m, and has been a revelation for club and country since the summer, to the point where there's an outcry if he's omitted. He may not be the best player in the world, but he presents defences with unique problems, and is now scoring at a rate Owen would be proud of. Craig Bellamy would have cost double his £6m but for a clause in his contract. He just needs time to adapt to being at Liverpool, as do the clutch of other new signings. You can't just throw new players into the equation and expect instant dividends, as nice as it would be.

Finnan, Riise and Hyypia all cost £4m or less. The new players, like Gonzalez and Pennant, cost in Hansen's quoted bracket. But Jesus, give them time to settle; Shevchenko cost £30m and he's been pony this season. You cannot even start to write off any new players before at least six months at a new club, and up to a year if in a new country. Too many have taken that long, or even longer, to adapt.

As for the point on big spending, when Liverpool have shelled out in excess of £10m, only Xabi Alonso has been worth the money. (Kuyt, who cost between £9-10m, should prove good value, too.) But Diouf? Heskey? Cissé? They turned out to be 'maybe' players, if that.

As with Hansen's criticisms two years ago – namely that Benítez should have bought British – his assertion that spending little has resulted in average players makes no sense based on what the Reds have actually got for that money. There's also the fact that Benítez has had 80% of the squad to rebuild since 2004, rather than merely needing to add a couple of players; so the money had to be spread fairly evenly across a number of purchases. The option of more money always helps, of course; but there's no simple solution to that.

There are also serious problems with the back four, according to Hansen. But it's much the same personnel as last season, when it was the best around; could it be that it's just form and confidence? After all, they proved how good they can be last season, even when the full-backs were heavily rotated. They've not all become bad players overnight, have they?

While I agree with Hansen on what he says about the centre of defence being an area you don't needlessly tinker with, Hyypia was struggling for form at the point when Agger came in, with Carragher injured. Agger played so well it meant one defender had to drop out, so it was only going to be Hyypia. Except when it came to playing at Bolton, where the aerial bombardment was on the cards, so a switch to the Finn was made.

Then Agger, the best defender in the league this season, broke his hand with Denmark, and hasn't played since. So I've not seen much rotation there, just enforced changes, plus one understandable tactical change (especially after a couple of headers were conceded against Galatasaray). United have rotated their team as heavily as Liverpool in the league this season, but it's working for them. Then again, it worked for the Reds last season. Doesn't that suggest that blaming rotation is a cop out?

Hansen says the Reds don't look capable of going on a run like the one at the end of last season, but this time a year ago the same could have been said; and the Reds went on two outstanding runs, not just the one he mentions, having also had a similar slump between January and March.

It doesn't mean such great runs will happen again, but it does show what the team is capable of doing, and how this manager can turn things around. A few weeks back Arsenal were in the bottom three after poor home results, now they're full of confidence. Last year they couldn't win an away Premiership game, now they're cruising. Things can quickly change. Maybe it's too late for a title push from Liverpool this season, and that's frustrating; but it's still early on, and so much can happen.

Is Benítez making mistakes? Almost certainly. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. All managers can be said to have made mistakes if their team has lost.

Are the players making mistakes? Of course. Low confidence does that; but confidence cannot be restored with a pep talk. If it could, there'd never be any shortage of confidence in the sport. The problem at Liverpool, to my mind, is that too many players, including nearly all of the key men, are low on confidence following dips in their own form, and once it affects the team as a whole it gets that much harder to do anything about it. You can't 'rest' an entire team.

So while I maintain that Alan Hansen has every right to air his views, and to be critical, I'd like to see him take a little more time in thinking about what he's saying. I don't have it in for the Reds' legend, but I do expect better from him.

© Paul Tomkins 2006

An Anfield Anthology is available to pre-order from www.paultomkins.com, from where it will remain exclusively available.

Also, The Red Review is available from shops and online stores from November 1st, and signed pre-release copies are still available from www.paultomkins.com, including as part of package deals with my other books.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 12:55:31 pm by Rushian »

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alan Hansen: Hitting the Wrong Targets Again
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:45:30 am »
<>

Spot on.  Hansen and the like are very much entitled to their views.  Although no managerial experience they do have vast experience of the game, which in my book counts for a lot.  But they need to meet the same standards that any of us on these boards meet.....they need to do their research before they blindly make assertions about our team that are glaringly untrue.  I call it Andygrayitis.  Its seems its catching.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:48:27 am by Ben S »

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 11:46:53 am »
Very good article

The one thing that always worries me about Jocky's 'local' comments is that he played in a Liverpool side that rarely contained a scouser - our form is nothing to do with local players but a lack of self belief and very low confidence added a captain who seems miles off the pace and is doing nothing to motivate others around him.  Maybe I would feel more assured if I seen a Gerrard playing badly but still producing a captains role not a Gerrard who is playing bad and seeming to only care about his own performance.  Gerrard in my opinion isn't alone - the lack of talking, encouragement and 'advice' amongst the player is non-existant at present and need to be sorted quickly, Rafa can only pick the players not actually make them play and Alan Hansen should know form is temporary and class is for life and comment on the real issues which are plain to see
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:48:34 am by Stretch Armstrong »
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline acd

• Main Stander
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:47:50 am »
i think he is right Paul, lets face it, he knows more than us because he has been there and done it. he criticises because he is a perfectionist-just like Rafa.

there is nothing wrong with putting a bit of pressure on our manger/players as he/they can handle it

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 11:48:45 am »
Must people quite an entire article to add five lines?

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:50:16 am »
Must people quite an entire article to add five lines?
Apologies.  My fault.  Will keep an eye on!

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 11:59:51 am »
spot on Paul

Hansen's "critiques" look and sound like they've been written down on the back of a beer mat after listening to a load of old chatter in his local

they are at best a collection of clichés and old wives' tales

I'll accept Lawrenson and Whelan and Mark Wright and Molby and anyone else who has stuck their head on the managerial block having something to say, even if it is garbage from start to finish, but not Hansen, he's never had the guts to give it a go at management at any level and as far as I'm concerned he's just taking the media for a ride with his "analysis" and always has been

Pleat and Taylor and various others talk gubbins but at least they've had the bollocks to put their money where their mouth is and give management a go, unlike those gobshites Gray, Townsend et al...

Offline Oliver Anderson

• Kemlynite
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 12:02:36 pm »
Its like groundhog day all over again!

It is two years running that Liverpool lose 2-0 over the weekend of the 22-23rd October and all critics go off on Rafa and the team.

Last year we sat in 12th place after that weekend with only 10 points.  The leaders Chelsea had 27 points.  Thats a 17 point difference and we climbed back.

This year we are in 11th place with 11 points and 'only' 11 points back of Man United. 

From this weekend on last year we gained 7 points on United and 8 on Chelsea.  We can do it again this year and make up the rest if we can beat them both at Anfield.  It is now a must that we do it but it is not all said and done yet.  We have been slow starters this past few years but what team or company wouldn't be after such player/staff turnover every summer.  We will come good.

But in the mean time lets get the knifes out and blame the fact that the pitch at Anfield is imported grass and not from Merseyside.  It just doesn't care about the club!  ;D

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 12:06:10 pm »
The media reaction in general does piss me off though, It still smacks of the 'we don't trust this Johnny Foreigner and his crazy methods' which was the underlying criticism of Rafa in his first season in charge..
If its not the predictable Stevie G needs to be moved into the middle shite (Andy Gray and Redknapp were taking about this after the game, what neither Gray, nor that ball bag Chelsea fan Redknapp cared to mention, was the fact that Stevie G was named player of the year last season, scoring 23 goals in the processs, mostly playing on the right) then its the criticism of zonal marking, which Andy Gray mentioned again after the game on Sunday. It really is just bad, lazy journalism, and coming from so called experts makes it frustrating, when some of them experts are Liverpool legends who really should know better if they were paying any attention, then it is doubly frustrating.

Jocky was obvioulsy frustrated,  fair enough, we all say daft things when we are disappointed, a look at the reactions on here after a defeat is proof of that. But when I read Jocky know, or listen to him, I just think to myself, you will never make a top level manager, not because you don't fancy the pressure, but becasue you are a bit of a fucking clueless knob. Same goes for Andy Gray.

(Mark lawrenson doesn't even qualify as a clueless knob, he has aspirations to that level but is still some way off)

I remember GH used to moan about there being so many LFC ex players etc in the media that it sometimes made his job impossible, I remember disagreeing at the time, but I think there is some truth in it, a few defeats and poor performancers definitely creates a climate of criticism around a Liverpool manager, that really isn't there for other managers..

We need to start winning again, only then will this clueless criticism stop (and I can start buying papers again)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 12:08:39 pm by davidg »
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline acd

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 12:07:56 pm »
Last year we sat in 12th place after that weekend with only 10 points.  The leaders Chelsea had 27 points.  Thats a 17 point difference and we climbed back.
we didnt get close to chelsea for the rest of the year mate, thats why everyone this summer was making the point how important it was to make a good start compared to last year

Offline GibletII

• Anny Roader
  • Fug Off Luton
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 12:13:29 pm »
  Mr. one game a season speaks again!

Arf.

Offline Oliver Anderson

• Kemlynite
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 12:14:44 pm »
we didnt get close to chelsea for the rest of the year mate, thats why everyone this summer was making the point how important it was to make a good start compared to last year

Including myself.

It will be tighter this season, however.  We may not win it now as we are right behind the eight ball but we will get back into contention.  Everyone was making that point because we all thought Chelsea would go off 27points out of 27 points again.  They haven't though and they have lost the most consistent and best Keeper in the league. 

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 12:16:04 pm »
Its like groundhog day all over again!

It is two years running that Liverpool lose 2-0 over the weekend of the 22-23rd October and all critics go off on Rafa and the team.

This year we are in 11th place with 11 points and 'only' 11 points back of Man United. 

From this weekend on last year we gained 7 points on United and 8 on Chelsea.  We can do it again this year and make up the rest if we can beat them both at Anfield.  It is now a must that we do it but it is not all said and done yet.  We have been slow starters this past few years but what team or company wouldn't be after such player/staff turnover every summer.  We will come good.

It needs to click into gear soon, but of course it's not too late. But things need to improve, and no one is blind to that fact. We need to rescue some pride, and sharpish, but it's been done before by Rafa.

Maybe the title has already gone, but the season is not dead. We're closer to Chelsea than a year ago, and unlike a year ago, we have played almost all the toughest away games. United, Chelsea and Arsenal have to come to Anfield, and we don't have the away derby to still face.

Last year we had two great runs, but also another limp period, as I mention in the piece, and still got 82 points. If the title is decided by just 85 points, we could still get close, although we're now outsiders.

The media reaction in general does piss me off though, It still smacks of the 'we don't trust this Johnny Foreigner and his crazy methods' which was the underlying criticism of Rafa in his first season in charge..

That's how I feel.

Ferguson has rotated as much as Rafa this season, and has played all kinds of different defenders in his back four. But even when United do badly, he never gets stick for his methods.

Offline acd

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 12:16:10 pm »
good point about Cech, we defo need to get on top of our game now, you have given me renewed hope  :wave

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 12:23:43 pm »
Can I just try to put into words what I believe to be wrong with the Liverpool side at present (and this happens to have been the same problem going back a long while – even going back into the Houllier era)

Without wishing to sound patronising it often sounds so simple when both young children and women state simply what is happening on a football pitch, and that’s because it is simple. My wife only really started following football (and in particular Liverpool) a few years back when she finally realized if she cant beat ‘em then join ‘em. Something that obviously stood out straight away to her and numerous times since was ‘why do we not seem to have time on the ball yet when the other team get the ball we don’t do the same?’

OK so the words need tweaking and maybe a gap here or there need filling in to fully explain this logic, but straight away and even still now under a much more positive, exciting, Benitez-led era, I agreed with her.

Sunday typified a mentality that unfortunately is in-bred with-in some of our players. We were 2-0 down for christ’s sake and we were passing the ball squarely across the back- four. Players in midfield were turning it back to the full backs rather than turning and having a go. Luis Garcia is an absolute pain for trying flicks and knock-ons when he should keep the ball but with half an hour to go on Sunday we would have been better off with 10 Luis Garcia’s out there.

Why do we sit back and allow the opposition to dictate? The early start to the season suggested we had adopted a more ‘up and at em approach’ but now that seems to have dwindled. Paul Tomkins views that players are off form are valid but I can assure you that several Manchester United players are off form yet the difference is that when they are off form it seems to make them all the more determined. They wanted it more on Sunday and that’s what hurts me. We can rue the fact Bellamy failed a late fitness test, we can argue that Sissoko’s early booking was harsh, we can question for the 100th time this season Benitez’s decision to rotate key players in key games (Crouch would be my gripe  - if Luis Garcia was causing them problems in the air then what would Crouch have done?) but the fact is we didn’t match them in determination.

Chelsea and Man Utd can win ugly – when they are not playing well. When was the last time we did that?
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »

I don't have to justify anything to people like you. I spent enough time going regularly home and away before I got ill. If you have a problem with that, that is indeed your problem not mine.

Offline Oliver Anderson

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 12:29:00 pm »
Thats the thing.  Like last year we need to make a run now.

We have started bad again but they haven't started as well either.  If both teams were to match what they did from this weekend on wards again this year they would end the season with 86 points and the Reds 83.  Thats close enough to be swung by a home win.

To balance the argument though:-

What is hard is that 2 of the next 3 games aren't easy.  Home to Villa, Home to Reading then away to Arsenal.  Also our X-mas fixtures are shitters this year.  Always a tough period without much rest but to have to play Blackburn away, Tottenham away and Bolton at home in 7 days over x-mas and new year will be tough to get a 100% record.  Still the end of season run-in is sweet.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 12:30:21 pm »

Read and learn.

Must people quote an entire article to add five lines?

Apart from this little sidestep, I think it is all right to criticize Rafa for the start of the season, because it has been nothing but poor, we had a dreadful pre-season and then the excuses was that our season had not started yet and pre- season matches meant nothing.

No people cling onto the hope that we can produce record breaking runs like last season to save our season.

Personally I cant take such things serious, we are going trough a real difficult patch at the moment and I have my theories about why.
Most people say we have a better squad this season compared to last season, but do we really have that.

If we compare our squad to a tool box, can we with hand on our heart say that we have every tool we need in that box or is the reality that we have too many hammers and saws, but we are lacking important things like a screwdriver and a drill.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 12:32:34 pm by Kaizer »
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 12:32:43 pm »
Sunday typified a mentality that unfortunately is in-bred with-in some of our players. We were 2-0 down for christ’s sake and we were passing the ball squarely across the back- four. Players in midfield were turning it back to the full backs rather than turning and having a go.

It's confidence. I've addressed this very kind of situation in my .tv piece for tomorrow, and what I believe happens.

As for the last time we won ugly, wasn't it a week ago, in France? We've done that enough times under Benitez. Confidence is low at present, so we crumble more easily, but that's true of all teams during really tough periods.

I agree on Crouch, and feel he should have played more recently. But if he'd played and not done well, everyone would have said "why no Bellamy/Kuyt?"

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 12:33:52 pm »
Does anyone have a link to the Hansen article? Was it that Telegraph article that someone posted the other day?

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 12:36:43 pm »
Hansen played football in a totally different era and these days, more often than not talks bollocks.

In any case, the pundits are there to be controversial, the saying goes 'why let the truth get in the way of a good story'.

These days I don't listen to the pundits as they all talk crap :wanker

Offline Oliver Anderson

• Kemlynite
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 12:38:02 pm »

If we compare our squad to a tool box, can we with hand on our heart say that we have every tool we need in that box or is the reality that we have too many hammers and saws, but we are lacking important things like a screwdriver and a drill.

We all know what Kaizer whats for Christmas?

And Bosh have never made a great right-winger!

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 12:40:06 pm »

Yes, too many saws, one too many hammers, but what about spanners and a spirit level?

Carra is a pair of pliers, and Rafa, well he owns the keys to the shed, but has he misplaced them?
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Scouse Mouse

• Kopite
  • swotimtalkinbout
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 12:42:33 pm »
Momo Sissoko, who's only been at the club 15 months, was our best player at Old Trafford, all over the pitch working his extra-long socks off

It never ceases to amaze me how two people watching the same game can come up with such wildly different views of it. I have loads of time for Mo, but he was godawful on Sunday, very rarely winning challenges, and promptly giving Utd back the ball on those rare occasions that he did.

And actually, although, as usual, he goes for some stupid facile targets, I think that some of what Hansen says is correct. Particularly with regard to signing players in the "maybe" bracket. Personally, I think that his obsession with having a big squad with loads of options meant that Rafa spread funds way too thin in the Summer. Obvious examples -- (1) Signing both Pennant and Gonzales, neither of whom will definitely improve our first eleven, instead of Alves, who certainly would have. -- (2) Signing both Kuyt and Bellamy for £16m. Why? Kuyt is probably a fine player, but if he can't play effectively with our current best striker, Crouch, then why sign him? Couldn't we have spent that £16m on a top class striker who could form a top class partnership with Crouchie?

Now, I happen to think that we are extraordinarily lucky to have Rafa as our manager, and after Istanbul he can do what he likes, as far as I'm concerned, but he isn't perfect, he's just damn good.
Shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 12:43:58 pm »
get a decent result and performance under our belt tomorrow night and we shall all be going to Anfield on Saturday with a slight spring in our step. Time heals, and a good victory on Saturday too will pep us up again. Supporting this great club is a bit like trying to explain my drinking habits. You go mad every now and then, over-excess, tell yourself you are off the grogg for a while, and then come next Saturday evening you are knocking 'em back for fun. Happy days!
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 12:43:58 pm »
Brilliant read that Paul... i remember your article on his call for us to sign English players 'so you know what you're getting', and that was also excellent. I think he would be best to keep his mouth firmly shut so long as you're around... and rightfully so!
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 12:45:11 pm »
I always get the impression that while people like Rush and Dalglish would love us to win the title again, Hansen would absolutely hate it. It's like he wants to be on the best Liverpool team of all time, and doesn't ever want that under threat.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 12:45:12 pm »
I'm not really sure of your points. Hansen seems spot on to me.

Hansen's comments about locals are aimed at the level of commitment and desire shown on Sunday. The answer may have nothing to do with locality or otherwise, he is almost certainly wrong in his supporting evidenace. But 1 thing is for sure, we lacked commitment across the board and it was very disappointing. There were exceptions but the level of determination to win wasn't acceptable.

He is right that spending £4 to £9 million is a policy that is more likely to fail in the long run. Of course there are exceptions - but that's like saying my grandad lived till hes was a 103 and he smoked 100 ciggies a day. Well, he might have done but it isn't a policy that's best followed. There are differences between Mourinho and Ranieri at Chelsea but the main one is that Ranieri didn't spend the big cash on individuals like Mourinho. Mourinho's bought the top dollar players and has 2 league titles in the bag and an unbeaten home record going back ages.

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 12:45:51 pm »
. -- (2) Signing both Kuyt and Bellamy for £16m. Why? Kuyt is probably a fine player, but if he can't play effectively with our current best striker, Crouch, then why sign him? Couldn't we have spent that £16m on a top class striker who could form a top class partnership with Crouchie?

You mean like Shevchenko ???

The point is, any transfer is a maybe regardless of how much to paid.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 12:46:23 pm »
Back on form Paul, that's your best this season.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2006, 12:46:41 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me how two people watching the same game can come up with such wildly different views of it. I have loads of time for Mo, but he was godawful on Sunday, very rarely winning challenges, and promptly giving Utd back the ball on those rare occasions that he did.

completely agree with you - Momo had a poor game. Did you see the in depth discussion with Gerrard before the second half began? Whatever was said cant have worked.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2006, 12:51:28 pm »
What struck me lately was the question of the importance of Hamann or Morientes in the locker room. I have no idea, how important they were for our other players (Hamann certainly was, but I don't know to what degree) in the locker room, but couldn't it be that we lack some 'older' and more experienced players especially in situations like these? We have only three players who are over 30 (Dudek, Hyypiä, Finnan) and I don't know whether they can 'help' the team in a difficult situation. Not so much on the pitch, but in terms of building up confidence or giving advice.

We have many players who have been playing football for a long time, but then again to me they still seem to lack a bit of experience like maybe Morientes could offer. Again, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, except that Hamann was obviously very popular within the team, but could there be a lack of players who open their mouths in the locker room or at Melwood, to give the others a lift?

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 12:52:44 pm »
I always get the impression that while people like Rush and Dalglish would love us to win the title again, Hansen would absolutely hate it. It's like he wants to be on the best Liverpool team of all time, and doesn't ever want that under threat.

Kind of true, but also massively false at the same time.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2006, 12:54:20 pm »

For me as far as journalism goes and what I like to read with regards to LFC its all about finding a happy medium, I don’t want to read over the top unnecessary criticism but I don’t like overly positive pieces that are based on an upbeat spin after a humiliating defeat to the likes of Everton.  I try and look for the middle ground. That’s the main reason that your pieces aren’t for me (not a criticism I hasten to add).

I didn’t see much wrong with the Hansen article, in fact in most cases I thought he was stating the glaringly obvious and earning easy money.  My favourite sports journalist is Dominic Fairfield, he writes some really good stuff and is actually one of the few that’s a really nice fella when you meet him, he’ll criticise when its due but you never get the feeling that he’s revelling in it or being all smug about it.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2006, 12:55:54 pm »
Notice how his articles for the LFC mag (does he still do them?) are always completely different to the ones he does for the broadsheets, though?

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2006, 12:56:48 pm »
Great read that. What puzzles me is that we don't seem to be low on confidence at  Anfield. Those games where we beat Spurs and Newcastle, We should have been buoyed by them victories. 

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 12:58:56 pm »
Without wishing to sound patronising it often sounds so simple when both young children and women state simply what is happening on a football pitch, and that’s because it is simple. My wife only really started following football (and in particular Liverpool) a few years back when she finally realized if she cant beat ‘em then join ‘em. Something that obviously stood out straight away to her and numerous times since was ‘why do we not seem to have time on the ball yet when the other team get the ball we don’t do the same?’

Why do we sit back and allow the opposition to dictate? The early start to the season suggested we had adopted a more ‘up and at em approach’ but now that seems to have dwindled.

1) agree with the first part, the footballing ingenue (no offence intended) CAN notice such things, although my ma would more often come out with such pearls of wisdom as "Hasn't that Danish fella (Molby) got big thighs"

noticing something is one thing, doing something about it is another which brings me to your second point

there's no way we sat and ALLOWED United to dictate play on Sunday...and they didn't have more time on the ball than us...if anything it was the opposite, they had less time on the ball than us, because they CHOSE it that way...their confidence is up, and received a noticeable boost after taking the lead...they started moving the ball around at speed with one-touch football...we on the other hand, lacking confidence, wanted more time on the ball and to be more sure of our passing so we got harried...when we did try to play hurry-up football our lack of confidence and rhythm meant we screwed up...Xabi plays the ball into a space for Riise to run into and it goes straight out of play cos Riise is too scared to make the run...or whatever...

you have to work hard and be smart as a unit to break up a team's rhythm these days, without getting players carded left right and centre...our main destroyer, Momo, got a farcical yellow, but to stop a team playing everyone has to close down simultaneously...if you leave it to one man the opposition just pass it round him and I thought this happened on Sunday to a large extent...

the other part of your second part
 :P
I agree with, as I feel that we have looked jaded ever since pre-season and at no time have we looked sprightly (I missed the Chelsea game where we apparently outplayed them)...we have looked second to loose balls since the very first kick of pre-season to me and were reported to be very heavy-legged...the difference between us and Haifa was worryingly small, and while I thought we would shrug it off quickly, others who were more dubious at the time have been proven right unfortunately

I don't like using tiredness as an excuse but if you look at how the UEFA Cup teams are doing it's not good is it, while teams of perhaps a similar level but who are absolved of any midweek duties, Portsmouth, Villa, Bolton, Everton, are going great guns...

Arsenal, who like us had CL qualis and had an even more piss poor start to the season than us (where were the calls for Wenger's head in the media??) managed to kickstart theirs with a win at OT...for whatever reasons/excuses, and the list I've seen proferred surely has to be a World record, we didn't...

Offline Scouse Mouse

• Kopite
  • swotimtalkinbout
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 01:02:14 pm »
You mean like Shevchenko ???

The point is, any transfer is a maybe regardless of how much to paid.

I'm not saying that higher transfer rating guarantees better player, but things do usually tend to kind of work out that way, don't they?

My point is this. Last season we picked up a record premiership points tally despite not having a right winger or an effective partner for Crouch. If we had improved even one of those positions we would have significantly improved on last year's team. Personally I think we had enough cash to improve on both, but instead Rafa decided to buy 4 or 5 players for the squad, meaning we inevitably sacrificed quality for quantity. I don't think it's unfair to point that out.
Shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you.

Offline willrobbo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2006, 01:02:34 pm »
Well amen to that!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2006, 01:06:13 pm »
Great read that. What puzzles me is that we don't seem to be low on confidence at  Anfield. Those games where we beat Spurs and Newcastle, We should have been buoyed by them victories. 

I thought we looked well lacking before taking the lead against Spurs, by which time I think they should have been 2-0 up if memory serves me correctly ? the Jenas chance and a header at the Kop end ? Ledley King was it ?