Author Topic: Pro Evolution Soccer 2012  (Read 54225 times)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2012
« Reply #80 on: June 3, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »
If Konami sort the animations out then it'd be challenging FIFA IMO.

I'm a FIFA man but do enjoy a good footy game no matter what game that may be, the one thing that's always let me down on PES is the animations, sort that out and introduce default options for manual passing and it'd be a shit load better.

The graphics on that video are shocking aswell, make the boies of the players look like ones you'd see in a shit flash game on mousebreaker whereas he faces are class.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #81 on: June 3, 2011, 04:46:44 pm »
Seems to bad again. But still beats FIFA... I'll stick with FM :D

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #82 on: June 4, 2011, 07:28:18 pm »
Can they make people actually able to hit the target this time? How about goalkeepers that should be good not screwing up everytime the AI shoots at them?

I've had 21 shots on goal in a game. You know how many were on target? 8. Even playing as Barcelona doesn't help that much. As for GKs, Reina drops the ball 8 times out of 10. I concede most of my goals from him dropping the ball right where the opposition is. This isn't even on Top Player mode.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #83 on: June 8, 2011, 08:23:02 pm »
If Konami sort the animations out then it'd be challenging FIFA IMO.

I'm a FIFA man but do enjoy a good footy game no matter what game that may be, the one thing that's always let me down on PES is the animations, sort that out and introduce default options for manual passing and it'd be a shit load better.

The graphics on that video are shocking aswell, make the boies of the players look like ones you'd see in a shit flash game on mousebreaker whereas he faces are class.

Think we were discussing this earlier in the thread...?

Pass Support: Accessed through the new personal player settings, Pass Support allows users to determine the level of AI assistance when passing the ball. Players can opt for one of five settings from full support, right up to full veteran setting which switches off all assistance so that the direction, weight and speed of every pass is at their disposal.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #84 on: June 8, 2011, 08:24:58 pm »
http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/new-pes-2012-details-from-e3/

KONAMI reveals further additions to gameplay at Los Angeles Expo

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH will further outline new, key advances to PES 2012 at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles. The publisher will reveal a first trailer to showcase vital new elements to the game, which will be released in Autumn 2011 for PlayStation(R)3, Xbox 360(R), Windows PC, Wii, PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) and PlayStation(R)2, and which is the only video game with to feature the exclusive use of the official UEFA Champions LeagueTM and UEFA Europa LeagueTM competitionslicence.

PES 2012 continues KONAMI’s determination to listen to its fanbase and make key improvements to the aspects the audience demands. Thus, the focus for PES 2012 is to ensure the highest level of playability, challenge and realism for the game, whilst also improving the level of control offered to users. Fundamental changes to all areas of its AI have been made following user feedback. Similarly, teamwork is central to how the game moves and feels, enabling fans to replicate anything they would see in a real match.

The trailer will be revealed for the first time at KONAMI’s pre-show presentation, and perfectly illustrates how the new additions benefit the PES experience.

**UPDATE – Trailer now in HD**

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QeXFY6fmtUU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QeXFY6fmtUU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=</a>

Active AI: PES 2012 strives to recreate the movement and team ethic of real football, and Active AI plays a vital role in this. Players will no longer flock to a ball, but will make intelligent runs to create space and draw markers, while others will make themselves available, instigate runs, and visibly call for the ball. In the box, support players will make diagonal decoy runs, full backs will overlap on the wings and midfielders will provide support from behind the ball. The new Active AI routines ensure the flow of a match is more natural, with specific routines for both attack and defence. Hold-up play implemented last year has been improved for easier control with more effectiveness. Defending as a unit plays a key role, and players now hold a tight line, check on the distance between each other, track back as a unit, and fill in for each other. As individuals they also make better decisions to close space, block and tackle.

Jostling: Physicality is a key component in PES 2012, with player strength one of their key individual attributes, and having a vital effect on how they can use their strength to win the ball in a one-on-one situation. Players now fall depending on how they are challenged, with more realistic animations used to show the challenges between two jostling players.

Graphics: Several aspects of the game have enjoyed a huge overhaul. Player facial expression is now much richer and the lighting effects are more natural, while new cameras show off the huge variety of pitch-side movement, with more detail on and around the game than ever before.

Off The Ball Control: Equally key to opening up PES 2012 is the ability to highlight any player at any time. A new system has been implemented, allowing users to switch players with ease. In defence, the right stick is now used to select any outfield player, while set pieces are also enhanced through its use. Goal kicks, corners, free kicks and throw-ins now let the user quickly take control of any player off the ball, enabling clever runs which create space for an attack.

Referee AI: Referees are also crucial to general game flow and their AI has been greatly enhanced to ensure fewer interruptions to play. Decisions are improved, and advantage is played much more regularly in offside and free kick scenarios. As such, refs will only intervene when truly necessary, but they will show cards if necessary once play has broken down.

Pass Support: Accessed through the new personal player settings, Pass Support allows users to determine the level of AI assistance when passing the ball. Players can opt for one of five settings from full support, right up to full veteran setting which switches off all assistance so that the direction, weight and speed of every pass is at their disposal.

“We are really pleased to implement so many improvements within the areas that our fans wanted changed,” commented Jon Murphy, European PES Team Leader at Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “PES 2012 is about matching real football, whilst ensuring an unrivalled gameplay experience. The trailer highlights many of the innovations we have added, and, more importantly, how they benefit the game. There’s plenty more to come, but for now we look forward to seeing how fans react.”

KONAMI will be detailing further key enhancements to PES 2012 in the coming months.

PES 2012 will be released for PlayStation(R)3, Xbox 360, PC-DVD, Wii, PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) and PlayStation 2 in Autumn, 2011.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #85 on: June 8, 2011, 08:27:48 pm »

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #87 on: June 8, 2011, 08:30:18 pm »
...and finally, a WENB preview:

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/asims-pes-2012-e3-impressions/

Our man at E3 sends us his quick impressions of PES 2012!

Kitana Media’s new acquisition Asim Tanvir has played the most recent build of PES 2012 at E3, and below you can read his impressions!

Goalkeepers

Often the difference between a good football game and bad one, you’ll be glad to know that the shot stoppers in the E3 build of PES 2012 are rather good.

During my time with the game, which consisted of six matches (set at 10 minutes), I only encountered one genuine mistake. Now, I don’t know about you, but I think that is an impressive ratio for a football game that is still in development.

If you were to compare the goalkeepers in the E3 builds of PES 2011 and PES 2012, the latter would be vastly superior in every single aspect. That includes animations (more on those later), realism and reliability.

For instance, in my second match (I was playing as Spain), Iker Casillas made a superb double save which you would struggle to come across in the retail version of PES 2011 let alone the E3 build. The fact that he reacted so promptly to the rebound after his first save, is what made the entire scenario so impressive. The Spaniard didn’t get up and then stand around like a zombie admiring Pique’s beard for a couple of seconds; he got up as soon as realistically possible and made the second save.

One area where the virtual shop stoppers could use a little work is one-on-ones, but that is just me nitpicking. Standout moments like the one mentioned above combined with the general reliability, even at this early stage, provide enough evidence to suggest that the goalkeepers in PES 2012 could be the best in the series to date.

Passing and Shooting

The passing and shooting systems in PES 2012 are pretty much exactly the same as PES 2011. However, there are a couple of new additions which influence these particular facets of the game ever so slightly. Thankfully, both additions have a positive effect.

First up, you have the tweaked ball physics which provide a much more realistic feel to the overall passing and shooting. It’s extremely hard to describe the exact effect, but don’t be surprised to see the ball occasionally bobble across the turf after a poorly hit pass or shot.

Secondly, in a move that is sure to delight the hardcore football gamers, Konami have finally included an option which allows players to adjust the level of support they get with their passes. The option, known as Pass Support, throws five different settings at your disposal. By default the Pass Support settings are set to three bars, meaning you have some control over the weight, direction and speed of your passes. If you want full control over everything, you just need to adjust the settings accordingly.

The fully manual passing system takes a while to get used to as you’d expect, but if you can get to grips with its intricacies, you can really pull off some wonderful passing moves. Think of it like getting used to the new passing system back in PES 2011 and you’ll get some idea of the learning curve.

Unfortunately, the fully manual settings have only found their way to the passing system at the moment and do not apply to the shooting system is PES 2012. With a while to go until the game is released, there is a possibility that Konami could announce fully manual shooting at a later date, but it is more than likely that particular feature will not make the cut in PES 2012.

Set Pieces

Good news, the penalty system in PES 2012 is nothing like the one in PES 2011. Gone is the system that only Einstein could understand and back is the more traditional penalty system seen in PES games of the past. It might not be the best penalty system ever, but it works well and is dead easy to get to grips with.

Right, with that out of the way, let’s move onto the best new feature in PES 2012. I am, of course, referring to off the ball control during free kicks, corner kicks, goal kicks and throw-ins. It’s a feature which you will forget to use during your first few matches in PES 2012, but when you eventually do, you will wonder how you did without it.

Just received a free kick in a dangerous area on the wing and want to knock the ball into your star striker so he can try and score?! Flick the right stick in the direction of your star striker’s position and he will be highlighted. You can then move him around to a position you like, press the cross button and whip the ball in. He might not score, but you have certainly given him a better opportunity to do so. It’s incredible, it really is. It’s also very intuitive and easy to understand, meaning players of all skill levels can give it a go.

During my time with the game, I actually managed to use this new feature to score a goal via a corner kick. It felt genuinely rewarding and satisfying, just like scoring a goal should. It was all my work; I didn’t need to rely on anything or anyone else.

Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Even the most ardent PES fan would admit that player AI in PES 2011 wasn’t perfect. For every great moment, there was almost always a silly one on the horizon to counter it. Well, it seems like Konami have taken on board the feedback in regards to AI and, I must say, the results are very impressive.

First of all, AI players on your team will now actively make realistic overlapping runs. Think Patrice Evra for Manchester United or Dani Alves for Barcelona and you’ll get what I mean. In fact, I played as Barcelona and just as he does in real life, Dani Alves was bombing forward at every single opportunity. Not just like a headless chicken either, the runs he was making were intelligent and, more importantly, realistic. You know that long ball Xavi and Iniesta love to play to Dani Alves, it’s possible to replicate that in PES 2012 (if you’re good enough) with a stunning degree of accuracy.

The intelligent running doesn’t just apply to the full-backs either; it applies to pretty much every single attack minded player on your team. Midfielders will make dummy runs to create space and they won’t just run in straight lines either. They will make intelligent diagonal runs as well, something which was very rarely seen in PES 2011. Of course, it’s up to you to decide how you want to utilise these runs and which player you want to pass to. Do you let a dummy run be just that or do you pull a fast one and try to get that player through for a scoring opportunity? The decision is yours, but the fact that you have all these options at your disposal is just mind boggling.

Konami have also paid some attention the defensive AI in PES 2012 as well. The defensive AI in PES 2011 was quite good, but at times players has the tendency to bunch up which hurt the overall gameplay and, well, didn’t reflect the overall realistic nature of the game very well. Those days have now gone, as defenders and (to a certain extent), midfielders perform their non-attacking duties with a high level of realism.

For instance, if you have a 4-4-2 formation, your team (depending on your strategy/tactics) will consist of two banks of four and the defensive movement of the players (defenders and midfielders) will be much more realistic when compared to PES 2011. Defenders won’t just follow and track one player, if they sense danger in a nearby area they will swoop in to try and cover. It’s all very subtle, but changes/improvements to the AI like this will only help enhance the overall quality of the gameplay.

Visuals

Much like its predecessor, PES 2012 looks great; even at this early stage. Player likenesses are even better than before, kit detail has been upped a level and, most noticeably, the lighting is vastly superior to PES 2011. Oh and square nets are in too, but you knew that already, right?!

Animations have also received some attention, quite a few new ones have been added and the majority of the older ones have been tweaked for added fluidity and realism. These improvements in the animation department shine ever so brightly during gameplay as you glide across the pitch with Messi like a graceful ballerina. Not that Messi is a ballerina, of course!

Finally, PES 2012 might not have a super slick looking collision system underneath its hood, but it doesn’t really need one. This might sound a little crazy, but it has its own little system and it uses it rather well from what I have seen so far. There’s no over the top coming together of players, instead everything just looks natural. Players “bounce” off each other quite realistically, falling or stumbling to the turf without much fuss. It’s not flashy, it’s just simple and, you know what, it works really well.

Verdict…so far

The foundations for a truly great football game were laid down by Konami with PES 2011. The next game in the series just needed to build on those foundations by adding a few key gameplay elements. From what I have seen so far, if PES 2012 continues to improve at its current rate, there’s a strong possibility we could be graced with the best PES game to date.

So there you have it!

Watch out for a more indepth preview from WENB later today, as well as a quite epic podcast from myself and Suffwan early hours.

Apologies for the multiple posts - lots of different bits of info :wave
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 08:33:15 pm by jackh »

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #88 on: June 8, 2011, 08:45:11 pm »
That looks pretty horrible to me to be honest :/
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #89 on: June 8, 2011, 08:54:46 pm »
im looking forward to this. ive said this for the past few years with pro and been left disappointed, hopefully this one brings back the old glory
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 8, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »
Fuckin A Konami, manual passing you say, well I say thank you very much indeed.
Shame about the shooting.
It appears as by the end of this console generation we will get a perfect game from Konami, the step up for 2011 has been rwmarkable and they keep adding good, meaningful changes for 2012.
Keep it up.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 8, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »
Think we were discussing this earlier in the thread...?

That'll do me!

To bad it's not the same for the shooting and crossing though.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 09:27:48 pm by J-Mc- »

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #92 on: June 8, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »
That'll do me!

To bad it's not the same for the shooting and crossing though.

There's a suggestion, somewhere in all the above, that shooting might be confirmed at a later date.

How would crossing be implemented?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 8, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »
There's a suggestion, somewhere in all the above, that shooting might be confirmed at a later date.

How would crossing be implemented?

Same way it is on FIFA, the game doesn't just automatically select the best player to aim for in the box, you have to judge the right power and diection in order to put the ball where you want when crossing.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #94 on: June 9, 2011, 04:23:20 pm »
All sounds good this year. Konami knew how to make a cracking footie game in 1999-2005, took them a few years to sort it out on current gen but better late than never, eh.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2011, 01:16:59 pm »
Been playing 11 every day for the last 2 weeks.

Really has the basis for being a great, great game. Konami really are not that far away.

4 very frustrating things which keep it from being a great game, that if they really fix, will make me play it non stop:

AI: The lack of runs players make is so frustraing. You get the ball, have a few players in front of you and acres of space and none of them make a move.

Speed: You're through on goal with Ryan Babel let's say. You got 40 yards to go and are well ahead of the last defender. No matter who that is though, Poulsen or however, they will always manage to get back and stop you! It's insanely unrealistic!

Animations: Takes an ange sometimes for a player to turn, as if the animations are not in sych with your actions.

Refs: Blow for anything. And why oh why are there replays for every foul no matter how small.

It seems they're working on these matters and if they do, we're back to the glory days.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2011, 01:24:00 pm »
Biggest improvements that all who played early versions of 2012 played are much more player runs, better goalkeepers, smoother animations and a new sprint button that is more effective. Though you can use R2 + R1 on 2011 for a similar effect of agining ground with knock ons.

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2011, 01:24:06 pm »
Free kicks!! The amount of times I've seen a player get a yellow card for a brilliant tackle is ridiculous.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »
They need new commentators, I can't listen to the current ones. Absolute shit.

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2011, 06:32:18 am »
Biggest improvements that all who played early versions of 2012 played are much more player runs, better goalkeepers, smoother animations and a new sprint button that is more effective. Though you can use R2 + R1 on 2011 for a similar effect of agining ground with knock ons.

That's what I hated about 2011. Nobody ever makes any runs and when they do they're offside. FIFA has a button to make them make a run right?

They need new commentators, I can't listen to the current ones. Absolute shit.

I like Jon Champion. Beglin I can take or leave.

Not like there is anyone else. It always seems like half the people you talk to think a given commentato is shit.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2011, 04:22:30 pm »
I only play Pro with the sound down anyway. I need something to do when listening to podcasts and Pro allows me something to keep me occupied without taking much of my attention away from the podcasts. So I don't really care who the commentators are.

Offline Shaneee.

• Siannn's alter ego
  • Anny Roader
  • Y N W A
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2011, 04:29:39 pm »
Got last years game and it was so bad i only ever played it once. What a waste of €45. They need to improve it drastically compared to even PES10.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2011, 04:33:27 pm »
Got last years game and it was so bad i only ever played it once. What a waste of €45. They need to improve it drastically compared to even PES10.

Well that's bollocks. Last year's was a massive step up from the year before. Critics and fans alike agree on that. I don't know what you were playing.

Offline Shaneee.

• Siannn's alter ego
  • Anny Roader
  • Y N W A
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2011, 04:34:33 pm »
The shooting was complete bolox iirc. Been so long since i played it.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2011, 04:43:22 pm »
Every pro evo fan knows you need a good week's worth of playing to get used to ANY new pro evo game as the shooting/passing are slightly modified, especially pro evo 2011 seeing as the passing was totally re-vamped and it also forced d-pad users to switch to analogue. The fact you 'only played it once' shows you didnt give it half a chance. It was a massive improvement and hopefully laid the groundwork for what should be another great playing game in 2012
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:45:48 pm by Live4pool »
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline Shaneee.

• Siannn's alter ego
  • Anny Roader
  • Y N W A
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2011, 04:44:48 pm »
Well in that case so then i'll play it for a week and get back to you.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2011, 04:45:07 pm »

Well maybe you should play it more than once, then you could form an actual opinion on it? It's a huge upgrade from 2010, and if 2012 can build on last year's effort it could be great. Not sure it'll challenge FIFA just yet, but they're a lot, lot closer than they were a couple of years ago.

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2011, 05:38:18 pm »
I'll be buying both FIFA and PES as I do every year. Can't wait.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2011, 07:15:46 pm »
http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/pes2012-e3-press-impressions/

PES2012 : E3 Press Impressions **UPDATED**

Now E3 is wrapping up for another year and with PES2012 seeming to have went down rather well indeed at this years event, WENB bring you a one-stop-shop for the various playtest Impressions that have surfaced over the last few days.

Let us start off with Official Playstation Magazine’s Ben Wilson and his take:

”Elsewhere, PES 2012 was Borderline astounding for me – not in terms of overall quality, but in the sense that last year’s game was so far behind FIFA 11 in terms of on-field gameplay, and that most definitely isn’t the case any more. This is a much slicker, more immediate experience, which harks back to the halcyon days of PES’s last PS2 years: zipping balls around in tight spaces, admiring the almost human AI of players off the ball (diagonal runs across and around defenders, something FIFA still hasn’t quite nailed, are a particular joy), and introducing an intriguing set piece concept where you can control a specific player on a corner, free kick or throw in, rather than the actual kicker himself. It doesn’t play perfectly – keepers still need a bit of work (and we’ve been saying that about PES for many years) – but no game at the show surprised me more in terms of how far it has turned around since a previous iteration.”

Elsewhere, we have IGN who seem very impressed, particularly with the games AI as can be found in just reading their header and sub-header.

Italian gaming site Multiplayer.it also appear positive, though their describing the game as ‘arcade’ will always rankle this particular player. French site journaldugamer.com are keen to point out the progress made while German gaming gameswelt.de site look to be going a little further with their praise…at least that is how the translation would read.

Gamerevolution offered a little nugget of info in the form of the game apparently being 70% complete at this stage which – if true – is rather noteworthy considering we are in June. One playtest that claimed to have spotted a nice graphical detail in kits getting dirty was that of Brazilian site colunistas.ig.com.br though this really requires a second opinion for confirmation. Positive write up again though. One detail that was beyond any doubt as to it’s validity was VGZ who rather cleverly grabbed a couple of ‘gigantaur’ snaps of the controller layout laminates for us fans to examine.

**UPDATE** – More press impressions from European sites playfrance.com, tweakers.net, gamer.nl and to round-up some very positive impressions from gamespot.com.

Finally, it would be just plain wrong of us not to send you in the direction of Kitana Media’s very own Asim Tanvir and his glowing initial impressions from the show floor that can be found HERE.

Done with all that reading? Why not listen to the dynamic duo of WENB discuss all things PES2012 (with a little nod to the competitor thrown in) in our latest podcast.

Overall, it would be fair to say that it has been a positive week for Konami and PES2012 with the following weeks and months leading to release sure to get very interesting. As always, WENB will be there for every kick.

Jump to the page properly if you want to read the articles referenced (couldn't be bothered adding all of the links).

Sounds very promising!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:17:19 pm by jackh »

Offline Chronic

• Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be heroes.
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2011, 08:53:05 pm »
Well that's bollocks. Last year's was a massive step up from the year before. Critics and fans alike agree on that. I don't know what you were playing.
Same game as me probably as i also thought it was shite and took it back with the receipt not long after it, it's very rare i'll actually take a game back for a full refund as i usually trade them in for 2/3 of their original value but it so crap it had to be swerved.

Pity as from 98 to 2005 the game was a masterpiece.
Loves getting pissed and shagging brasses

Offline Shaneee.

• Siannn's alter ego
  • Anny Roader
  • Y N W A
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2011, 10:09:57 pm »
Glad someone agrees with me!

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2011, 10:33:07 pm »
http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/wenb-pes-2012-playtest-tomorrow/

We finally get hands on with latest code tomorrow!

Some of you might already know, but we’re officially playing the latest build of PES 2012 tomorrow, in the presence of Mr Aviators himself Jon Murphy.

We’re planning a bumper day here on WENB for the playtest, which includes a write up and podcast. The write-up will come first, early in the evening with a different take. It will be split into two sections, one quick and easy to digest, and the other a long ‘grab a cup of tea’ type write up thats more of a story!

Then later that night we’ll have our podcast dedicated to the playtest.

So stay tuned, huge few days ahead!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2011, 10:33:46 pm »
http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/wenb-playtest-updates/

If you have been following WENB’s own @Adam_Bhatti and @Suffwan on Twitter you will already be aware that today’s playtest seems to be going down rather well. Below are just some tweets that have surfaced throughout the day, with more sure to follow. Oh, and it is great to see Jon finally get that mug at last!

Suff has been positively purring over the game and these tweets in particular speak volumes:

@Suffwan – ”I have to say that #PES2012 is a fantastic game of football to play. Purity and the most advanced AI seen in a footy game. #joy”

@Suffwan – ”Intelligent runs, constant passing options, fluid gameplay and many new features we don’t even know about. #PES2012”

@Suffwan – ”It makes me smile like the PS2 days #PES2012”

@Suffwan – ”In my opinion #PES2012 is a better game than #PES5, but then again I’m Next-Gen baby!”

@Suffwan – ”Shooting better but I have given them some tips. When u get tackled now the fluidity of game not affected.”

Of course, it wouldn’t be a WENB playtest without the PES messiah and Adam has been sure to keep us briefed as well:

@Adam_Bhatti – ”Played first game. Beat Suff 4-2, Milan derby. Great match. Main thing is it’s super fluid. Wonderful ebb and flow. Now for single player.”

@Adam_Bhatti – ”Big news is, keepers are looking really good. Need animation work, but overall so much more reliable than in PES 2011.”

@Adam_Bhatti – ”Can’t describe how happy I am with keepers. Need to say still need animation work, but so much reliable. Spill less, catch more etc.”

@Adam_Bhatti – ”Also new camera angle called pitch side is awesome. Used it more than wide cam. Lower hung, great detail.”

@Adam_Bhatti – ”Detail in wide cam much better, @Suffwan reckons it’s awesome. So much detail held, but needs another lick of paint IMO”

@Adam_Bhatti – ”Estadio De Escorpiao stadium is in the build.”

@Adam_Bhatti – ”And it’s over! @Suffwan wins on pens! And yes, pens fixed! More like FIFA 10. @JonMurphy_PES, you have been served!”

Sounding very promising indeed.

One particular tweet that has caused the raising of many eyebrows in true Carlo Ancelotti fashion is this:

”Lunch time with the guys now. Btw, sort of an exclusive, saw a new mode in menu called Football Life. @JonMurphy_PES won’t say a thing tho”

We wait and wonder what Football Life will prove to be.

Remember, that this isn’t all that will be coming regards the WENB playtest. We should have written impressions and a podcast with the lads following later, so stay tuned!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2011, 10:52:54 pm »
http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/wenb-pes-2012-playtest-impressions/

Welcome to part one of our PES 2012 impressions!

Along with this write-up, we have a podcast coming around 11pm this evening (UK time).

Below you’ll find a quick fire info burst, for those just wanting bite sized impressions. And after that you have the ultra long write up. Enjoy!

Short Version:

■New menu is endorsed by UEFA.com
■New mode in menu screen revealed called Football Life
■Team AI and individual AI is groundbreaking in the game
■Deeper tactics and strategy options in-game due to them being mapped to d-pad
■All teams behave uniquely, with a greater emphasis on team play individuality
■Graphics improved in gameplay cam, although needs some more work to achieve preferred levels
■Match atmosphere greatly enhanced thanks to presence of managers, camera-men and groundstaff
■Fans now wearing kits
■New camera angle added called pitch side, which hangs lower from the side line. A favourite on the day
■New reworked ball physics
■More care needs to be taken when passing and controlling, as ball behaves independently and realistically
■Goal Keepers vastly improved. New animations and more reliable
■Referees vastly improved. Play advantage, and book after a play has stopped
■Gameplay more fluid than before, instant response times when dribbling and controlling the ball
■Animations more varied in passing and shooting, although not on FIFA levels
■Shooting still floaty, needs work
■Throughballs not as powerful, easier to intercept with better control of players
■New personal data feature lets user customize own controller set-up, including adding an avatar picture

Long version

TELL ME HOW YOU REALLY FEEL

There’s a lot that can be said for the flaws of last years release. Perhaps it’s always easy to focus on the negatives, but as I’ve said many times on the boards and podcasts, PES 2011 was a few improvements away from being very special.

It was the first game this generation that got any sort of media respect, and was the first game that officially stopped the rot when it came to sales on a yearly basis.

What I wanted to do was focus on certain negatives in PES 2011, ones not so obvious, but fed into other issues. Maybe something easier for me to spot, as I truly fell in love with PES 2011 preview code, but something happened in between that and retail which left a bad taste in my mouth. It also left me scratching my head.

Reason being, it’s not as if the changes were night and day, but a collection of tweaks gave a different feel and outcome. Take dribbling and defending. There was a greater balance in preview code, but once shipped new defensive maneuvers and emphasis on physicality changed things drastically. For example, that stumbling animation? Not in preview code. The falling down face first when passing under pressure? Not in preview code. Dribbling feeling heavy at times and easy to defending against? Not in preview code.

Lets develop that last point. Dribbling in context in PES 2011 is actually excellent. Beyond laboring the point of inertia, it’s well developed and thought out, with realism the key point. No foot sliding, no turning into impossible angles, all believable. Problem is, it lacked fluidity. It also screamed lack of faith from Konami, as they clearly weakened its effectiveness in release code. The slowing down of a dribbler’s speed, and implementing what we now call the catch up bug, created an extremely frustrating experience.

It’s an offset of variables all hindering each other. Slowing down dribbling speed and creating heavy touches, but at the same time making any physical presence powerful, with the ability to stumble the player and take him out of your control. Then there was the fact defenders never committed into a challenge, meaning your nice two-touch dribbles that created space never allowed you the opportunity to put distance between you and the player you’re facing. Because A) he was never trying to win the ball, just contain, and B) Konami were worried about players being able to fly past people so they put in a catch up mechanism. So even if you did beat a man, you wouldn’t be able to stay ahead for long.

Lets keep this web of evil spinning.

So the physicality in the game created a feeling of not wanting to hold onto the ball for any length of time when under pressure. Mix in inconsistent referees that you never really trust, and it makes the player never trusting the game will play out fairly. Now you know how Mourinho feels.

So not wanting to hold the ball meant you’d pass, and pass quickly. Here we realized the flaws of the ball physics and general rules a player could break. Inconsistent outcomes with accuracy and power bar never gave any sort of satisfaction. Passes were easy to misplace without reason. The new freedom elements were a godsend, but the directness and laser guided feel and excessive speed made it all look and feel unrealistic. It was like setting the coordinates to a missile and watching it go.

It almost felt like players would think the same, avoiding through ball interceptions as if their leg might get blown off. And even if they did intercept, passing it first time was not allowed. Unwritten law apparently.

Wind back to the catch up bug, as I feel it has a lot to do with shooting. Again it’s all about taking your time when in space in front of goal, but even when put clean through, there’s never any feeling of trust in the game playing out things how you would want. Players would catch up in an instant, and getting that time and space would be at premium. Especially with the inconsistent outcome of the shot, and the time it took your player to actually fire it off.

That leads nicely onto keepers. No need to digress.

So, starting from something like dribbling you’ve seen so many elements intertwine right through the spine of the game, where one small issue would give birth to many more. That’s where this year’s up coming game comes in. A game on the face of it doesn’t seem to do a lot, but the key gameplay fixes and changes create a domino effect on the rest of the product. Correcting one mistake, and you potentially correct them all.

This is PES 2012.

THE BEAUTIFUL GAME

After meeting up with Jon (Murphy) and Steve (Merrett), we quickly got into the game, and just as quickly realized the new post-E3 code was substantially different from the initial code we sampled a few months back. So THAT’S why we couldn’t write about it.

The gameplay has been tightened up massively, with fluidity, consistency, and a feeling of completeness when playing the game. All elements missing from PES 2011. So from here on in, let’s start again with our impressions of PES 2012. We’ll forget the last podcast was ever recorded. Clean slate coming in.

With that in mind let’s discuss the initial presentation improvements, from the front end to pre-match niceties. The front menu is now officially endorsed by UEFA, with a background and bottom of screen ticker linked to the website. Moving between game modes, exactly the same as PES 2011 in the layout, you now have real life footage playing in the background, rather than a single unknown player doing his stuff. The footage we saw looked like Champions League highlights, mainly of Messi tearing apart yet another defence.
Our options there after were limited, as the code only allowed one-off exhibition matches to be played, in the Camp Nou, and only at night. Choosing our teams, which consisted of top European and International outfits, we noticed a new look to the selection process. Picking the teams was still similar to PES 2011; in the way you have two horizontal bars to pic region/league, and the actual team. In PES 2012 you now get a different grading system of the teams, yet again doing away with the hexagon.

Now you get 6 grades for each specific category, ranging from A to D. The criteria are the same, so you have Offense, Technique, Physicality, Defense, Tactics, and Speed. The letter (as mentioned previously) is in a retro ISS 64 boxart font style. Certainly one for the hardcore fans to spot!

Teams selected, and you can then get to pick kits, formation and settings. Team kit selection works the same way as last year, which is perhaps disappointing as confirms we won’t have 3rd kits again for PES 2012.

The formation screen is completely intact from PES 2011, but again the letter grading system in is place. By selecting a player, you now get a picture of him, and beside his mug shot 6 grades showing key abilities you might want to know more than others.

The bottom menus have changed too, with the first four icons linked to the new trigger tactics for the d-pad, which you initiate on the fly. As reported, the d-pad isn’t a control option by default, allowing Konami to utilize the control set-up in a similar to FIFA.

What’s interesting about this element though is that it’s extremely deep. So not only are you changing the formation and playing styles, you can also change parameters even further to make them more obvious/subtle. Another weapon in the armory for the tacticians out there!

Into the match, and you’re first off greeted by a brand new tunnel sequence. It’s much busier than PES 2011, and more ambient. Players are more active, and interact with ground staff walking around them. As they walk onto the pitch you see cameramen congregated behind a barrier taking snaps, with a lone cameraman coming forward ready to wander along the line-up for the big screen close-up. Then a quick jump to players stretching and warming up, right before kick off.

DO YOUR TALKING ON THE PITCH

So with all the pre-match elements intricately described (just so I don’t have to mention them again in the future!), lets get on to the important stuff.

As the ref blows for kick off, a barrage of elements hit you almost instantly. AI, Camera, graphics, ambiance and ball physics. That’s just the first wave! Lets hit those first 5 elements, then.

AI is Konami’s big push this year, and you see it in abundance from the off. Players are so alive to what’s going on around you, and before you know it are making intelligent runs and supportive movements to cover or offer an easy pass. The few minutes of playing PES 2012 actually gives you a clear indication of just how lifeless PES 2011 was in this respect, and it’s the one key thing that has been lacking with the series for this generation.

But it’s not about dummy runs and forward runs trying to get behind a defense, it also about supportive runs and players around you giving you the opportunity to pass. Take Barcelona and AC Milan. Two different formations, and two different ways of playing. Milan’s way of playing is driven through the middle of the pitch, with width only created by the full backs. Options to pass therefore remain channeled down the middle, and means recycling the ball can be difficult due to the centre of the pitch often becoming over populated. Playing as Barcelona however gives you a completely different mindset. Width is always an option, with both wingers and full backs constantly getting forward and supporting attacks. The entire team is very compact, always moving and giving you an option every which way possible – completely differently to Milan.

The camera now swoops low and stays consistent with the flow of the game, always giving you the best view for what’s going on with the action on screen. The camera in PES 2011 was all about giving the broadcast experience, and while many fell in love with it at first, it wasn’t long before we were all yearning for a better scope for what was happening around the pitch, and had me wanting to get wide cam back. The wide cam does just that, sitting still rather than always moving all around the place.

Graphics in gameplay cam have been a sore point for PES fans over the years on this generation; with the game almost giving us a completely different look both close and from afar. Incredibly lifelike close in, PES has always failed to keep the level of detail once the match gets going.

PES 2012 see’s a gradual improvement, although right now it’s not what I would call fixed. There’s much more detail held now, with player physique and kit style (i.e. untucked shirt, wristbands) much more visible than before. It almost looked like the outline of a player’s body had been given a type of shading, emphasizing the differences between shapes. Puyol looked like a mini hulk, while Busquets looks slim and athletic. PES 2011 improved that element, but PES 2012 certainly takes that detail further.

It’s also nice to see a richer looking player surface, with the cut of the grass and believable textures giving you the illusion you’re playing on a wonderful pitch. And it’s not just the pitch that looks great; the entire stadium is something that is more prominent in the new camera angle. Playing in the Camp Nou, the viewpoint really gave the impression that you were watching an actual broadcast.

Now for the ambiance, and PES 2012 has really come a long way. It’s simply brilliant. Managers gesturing and walking around their technical area, ground staff walking around the pitch and behind the goal, and camera men who are on a base follow the play and move with the ball. The crowd (more visible on the fantastic new pitch side cam) animates subtly, but add to the overall visual and atmospheric experience, especially with them wearing the shirts of the home team. And while we’re yet to be able to truly judge the sound and how that element will add to the final experience, it’s already at an incredible high level that not even weird anecdotes from Champion and Beglin could ruin this one.

The final instant realization of change had to be ball physics, which have undergone a massive transformation. Less pace, less laser guided, and more free. For the first time since the PS2 days, the ball actually feels like it’s own entity in PES again. And that’s from the moment the ball is passed, to the way it’s controlled, and then passed on again – each element is key as in every moment you need to make sure the ball is your possession. The power in the passing is ever more key, with over hit passes requiring more care in bringing under control. You’ll also find the ball will curl and bobble in ways it simply hasn’t done on this generation.

After getting past the ‘Fantastic Five’, other key changes quickly become obvious. As you pass, move and dribble, the improved response times and fluidity in movement has been ramped up, with small added animations making it look better and of course make it more responsive.

The physicality has been worked on a great deal too, allowing for better ball retention and interaction with an opposition player. Gone are the days of cumbersome dribbling feel and control being taken out of your hand via a stumbling animation. Things are more seamless, and always keeping you in full control of everything going on during the game. Players will palm off players trying to subject them to pressure from behind and the side, and includes seeing this off the ball too. In the same essence, players are able to ride and skip over challenges, keeping things moving,

The changes also impact how you might approach the defensive side of the game, as you’re more likely to be punished by a mistimed challenge. Something we noticed this playtest is that pressuring a player as he is receiving the ball is sometimes beneficial, as the impact could put him off balance, or make him miscontrol the ball. Other times though, a little bit late in getting there, and you could either be giving away a free kick in a dangerous area or see a player turn you easily with a touch and leave you for dead.

Talking of leaving for dead, fans will be happy to hear the catch up bug has completely gone. Quicker players when past their men will be able to stay ahead, and sometimes even extend the gap between them and the defender. It’s not an exploit however, as you can still contain by holding R2 and X. Suff got the hang of this rather quickly, and was very good at tackling as a whole.

Moving onto other fixes, and I’m happy to report referees were 99% awesome. Calling fouls, playing advantage, and booking players after play had stopped. The 1%? Me and Suff noticed perfectly legitimate slide tackles from the front or side were penalized more often than not. Needs work.

Something that needs less work than expected is Goal keepers. Wow, what a turn around. After being the key element that could possibly ruin an amazing product, it’s already achieved a respectful level, with me and Suff seeing them make saves they would never make in PES 2011. More importantly, they would also make saves in a fresh new animation brand new for PES 2012. We’re talking one-handed saves, reactions to one on one situations etc etc. Throughout the playtest we had a lot more trust in them when reacting to saves. Simply put they caught more and spilled less, with everything spilt usually pushed away from danger whenever possible. From here on in we would like to see much more animation work, and as Suff put it ‘theatrics.’

Shooting also could do with some work, and from the entire playtest, was probably the one key part of the game that could do with a total change. It was odd, as ball physics for passing, crossing etc felt great, but shooting (like in PES 2011) felt extremely floaty.

It didn’t affect you too much when one on one, but shot outside the box usually ended up comfortably in the keepers arms. Not to suggest crackers from outside the box weren’t attainable, it was just they were few and far between, and the feeling of the correct outcome from a controller input just wasn’t there.

I guess it’s also worth rounding up our impressions about dedicating actual time to the animations. It’s a difficult subject, as comparisons to FIFA will always be there. Right now PES still needs work regarding this, as while they’ve made great additions to make the game extremely fluid, it still doesn’t compete with EA’s series. For me and Suff it’s more than enough in it’s own right, but to really make an impact across all fanbases they need to consider a drastic change for the future.

HALF TIME

Overall then, at this stage, PES 2012 is playing a fantastic game of football. It corrects the wrongs of PES 2011, and adds new and exciting elements to go a step further. Expect updated impressions late July from WENB, where we can tell you how the game is looking closer to release.

So far, PES 2012 is looking like it’s on a road to greatness, passing the likes of PES 5 on it’s way there. Yes, that good.

Offline Chief.

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2011, 11:43:07 pm »
Can't wait for this now!

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2011, 12:10:10 am »
Let's hope Konami don't change the code like they apparently did before PES 11 was released.

Konami have incorporated what FIFA has been missing, the matchday atmosphere which is already making me take notice.

Looks like I'll be getting both games this year.

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2011, 06:59:30 am »
Can I change the attacking/defending levels in game like I'm supposed to be able to but haven't been able to since at least PES2010?

Seriously, the buttons are there but they've never worked. I use a real 360 controller, there no excuse.

Fans now wearing kits

Beh. NHL 04 had this.

Also, how about fixing the shooting? I shouldn't get 2/3rds to half my shots completely off target with a good team.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:01:54 am by skooma »

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2011, 09:02:28 am »
Seems similar to what they said last season. will wait for a review from non biased reviewers.

Offline Chronic

• Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be heroes.
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2011, 03:15:43 pm »
Do people seriously still fall for that shite ?

The game is dead and has been for some time, they say the same thing every year.
Loves getting pissed and shagging brasses

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2011, 03:17:41 pm »
Do people seriously still fall for that shite ?

The game is dead and has been for some time, they say the same thing every year.