Author Topic: Rodgers assessment on early season hiccups  (Read 14946 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Rodgers assessment on early season hiccups
« on: September 19, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »
I wonder where he dug up this little nugget of an excuse from.

You'd think he was deliberately trying to undermine all the in-depth analysis of that Villa game on RAWK. As if so many newbies could possibly have had a significant impact on overall team performance.

Pfft.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-boss-brendan-rodgers-7796340

;D

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
Re: Rodgers assessment on early season hiccups
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:16:28 pm »
Love the last paragraph. Javier as eczema and Alberto as Gordon Ramsey.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:20:35 pm »
That last paragraph haha.

Got a point, think we have a nice balance at full back now. Moreno bombs forward, Javi is a bit more defensive minded and doesn't try to get to the byline to cross it
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:24:10 pm »
There fair enough excuses, he decided to go with an inexperienced defence (despite having Toure who's vastly experienced and binning Agger who's vastly experienced)
And honestly Lovren is experienced and used to PL conditions, Sakho is in his second season here and the two full backs have been brilliant so whilst maybe them excuses are legitimate I don't buy into them. We conceded a soft goal against Villa just like last season despite having a lot of experience in Skrtel and Agger and Toure and Johnson. So for me the individuals in defence aren't a problem so much because the mistakes are only what we've become accustomed to regardless of personal.

We changed from a two up top to a one (that one being balotelli who likes to come deep and receive the ball naturally) and as Dan Kennett has just tweeted the difference is huge in chance creation and shots on goal. Ultimately we didn't put villa under enough pressure with just one up front and only looked threatening when we went more attacking against Ludogorets.
https://twitter.com/DanKennett/status/512920703855632387

This stood out for me:
I was talking to the staff about this the other night – we weren’t blowing teams away in September last year,” he said.

What could of possibly made us start blowing teams away? Just trying to think if anyone was missing? Did we change to a two upfront at any point around the time that certain someone returned?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:32:28 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:31:25 pm »
There fair enough excuses, he decided to go with an inexperienced defence (despite having Toure who's vastly experienced and binning Agger who's vastly experienced)
And honestly Lovren is experienced and used to PL conditions, Sakho is in his second season here and the two full backs have been brilliant so whilst maybe them excuses are legitimate I don't buy into them. We conceded a soft goal against Villa just like last season despite having a lot of experience in Skrtel and Agger and Toure and Johnson. So for me the individuals in defence aren't a problem so much because the mistakes are only what we've become accustomed to regardless of personal.

We changed from a two up top to a one (that one being balotelli who likes to come deep and receive the ball naturally) and as Dan Kennett has just tweeted the difference is huge in chance creation and shots on goal. Ultimately we didn't put villa under enough pressure with just one up front and only looked threatening when we went more attacking against Ludogorets.
Yeah i just saw that tweet, really speaks volumes how we should be playing with 2 up top at every given time.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 12:37:13 pm »
Yeah i just saw that tweet, really speaks volumes how we should be playing with 2 up top at every given time.

Firstly given Balotelli is happier with a strike partner and secondly  Sterling is more comfortable in that diamond 10, Hendo excels on the inside right offering the ability to make runs into box and Gerrard has sufficient cover and outlets on Henderson or Coutinho or Allen.

Also Mario didn't want all the pressure, we were told that anyway. So we isolate up front on his own.

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:38:19 pm »
Of course it's all plain to see that the injuries and the loss of a certain player have been major disruptions to the team.  Still we're one loss away from a crisis and you can bet your house that the media will be all over Rodgers and the club if we do not get a positive result this weekend.    We are a team in transition and strangely, more so than last season.  The squad has been overhauled but only time will tell if these signings turn out to be any good.   At the moment, Rodgers has still not fixed a leaky defence and this will be significant problem going forward if we are not scoring goals like last season.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 12:38:27 pm »

This stood out for me:
I was talking to the staff about this the other night – we weren’t blowing teams away in September last year,” he said.

What could of possibly made us start blowing teams away? Just trying to think if anyone was missing? Did we change to a two upfront at any point around the time that certain someone returned?

So then why is your preferred system for the WHU game one upfront?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:33 pm »
So then why is your preferred system for the WHU game one upfront?

Because evidently we prefer one up top with Sturridge out so I've tried to make the best of playing balotelli on his own up front with the personnel available against a direct and strong whu team.

Happy?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:48:15 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 12:48:13 pm »
Because evidently we prefer one up top with Sturridge out so I've tried to make the best of playing balotelli on his own up front with the personnel against a direct whu team.

Happy?

Not really, bollocks answer. If you were going with our preference you wouldn't have picked Jones and Toure in your starting lineup would you. Oh well.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 12:50:13 pm »
Not really, bollocks answer. If you were going with our preference you wouldn't have picked Jones and Toure in your starting lineup would you. Oh well.

What are you on about, I've picked a team I think would be best going off the last two times we've lined up formation wise.

Didn't think you'd be happy because I provided a genuine answer. Last two games I thought we would put balotelli with a strike partner but we haven't so for the WHU game I figured this is the personnel I'd choose if (as we have done the last two games) we went with one upfront. Let Sterling and Coutinho get forward so when balo drops deep them two might be able to run in on the diagonal.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:54:45 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »
The Dan Kennett tweet about playing 2 up top is fine but we've only done it for 100 minutes this season - that's way too small a sample size to draw conclusions from

Also you can't generalise on team shape when personnel can be so different - most of those 100 minutes were with our first choice strikers fit  (ie Balotelli and Sturrdige vs Spurs)

It's also the case that we spent most of last season playing with 2 up so if we want to play with 1 it's bound to take some time to learn a new system

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »

To be honest, I think we just "found" our way to play. Players knew where to run or where to pass. We had Sterling and Suarez who were both good at getting into the box with the ball at their feet which created dangerous situations (either because they could shoot themselves, pass the ball or get fouled). So far, that's one of the things we've been lacking, i.e. players taking the ball into the box at a decent pace. Balotelli is not the player to do that, but the team will get used to it. Add to that, that we had players making runs and getting behind the opposition's back-four. We've scored countless goals, because Sterling and Sturridge were able to exploit the space behind the defensive-line. Again, we've seen to little of that so far this season.

That's why I think Rodgers is right about the problem with having to integrate too many new players to play fluid football. It's just not possible at the moment. Attacking-wise the transition could have been much easier, if Sturridge (and to an extent Allen) hadn't picked up injuries. Because them missing games has forced us to play Lallana or Markovic more than we probably wanted (especially as Lallana is just coming back from an injury). There's not much the manager can do about that, except helping the players to build up an understanding and give them the right instructions.

The only mistake he has made in my opinion, is that he didn't play Sterling from the beginning against Villa. I know that we have to limit the playing time the lad gets, but I would have preferred it, if he had started the Ludogorets game on the bench instead of the one against Villa. Then again, Rodgers and his staff have a better knowledge of the players' fitness...

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 01:06:19 pm »
So are we saying we have done what Spurs did when Bale left and brought in to many players to expect much from this season?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 01:12:49 pm »
So are we saying we have done what Spurs did when Bale left and brought in to many players to expect much from this season?
Us and Spurs did the right thing. Spurs had two managers trying their best to fuck up and still ended up only 3 points worse off than the season before.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »
Suarez and Sturridge scored over 50 goals between them last year and they are both missing, its no wonder we are struggling

when sturridge is back im sure we will be better with him and balotelli upfront just like against spurs

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 01:36:23 pm »
What are you on about, I've picked a team I think would be best going off the last two times we've lined up formation wise.

Didn't think you'd be happy because I provided a genuine answer. Last two games I thought we would put balotelli with a strike partner but we haven't so for the WHU game I figured this is the personnel I'd choose if (as we have done the last two games) we went with one upfront. Let Sterling and Coutinho get forward so when balo drops deep them two might be able to run in on the diagonal.

You either pick a team on preference or pick it cos you think it's what it'll be. You've picked a team on preference and a system you think it'll be. I don't really understand that, either it's one or the other. We both know Jones and Toure aren't going to be starting. I totally agree we should be playing two upfront.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 01:49:08 pm »
You either pick a team on preference or pick it cos you think it's what it'll be. You've picked a team on preference and a system you think it'll be. I don't really understand that, either it's one or the other. We both know Jones and Toure aren't going to be starting. I totally agree we should be playing two upfront.

Ive gone for a happy medium. Honestly I'd prefer two up top be it Borini or Lambert or even Sterling partnering Balo, but the chances are we will just go one up top so I've put a team out that I think would help Balotelli the best in that formation and also combat West ham. I'd bring Jones in because I honestly think Simon is a little low on form and confidence I believe Sam will do his best to exploit that. I'd put Lovren back to left centre back and Toure partnering him bringing experience and a good aerial presence (think benteke away last season)
Lucas changed the game last season as Upton Park so he's in there too. Honestly just tried to find a happy medium.

Offline Vdpr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 01:54:51 pm »
We started blowing teams away from November onwards because Rodgers practices tactical periodisation - idea being squad fitness peaks later, for longer.

This as opposed to running players into the ground through pre-season and burning them out by New Year. The by-product is a slower start but it's something Rodgers (and Mourinho who does similar) clearly has a preference for and said much the same in the pre West Ham presser.

EDIT - Of course we may have peaked even sooner than planned because of Suarez who came back from suspension absolutely on fire

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 02:02:04 pm »
I'd love to see Balotelli and Lambert up top for the next match. Especially since it's West Ham.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 02:02:32 pm »
RAWK---Analysis Paralysis

Micro managing after a match is easy.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 04:41:21 pm »

I can't talk about Spurs, but I would say it's not what we've done. We needed the players we bought and could still have played roughly the same team as last season while giving most of the new signings some games coming from the bench. Injuries meant that we couldn't do that. We had to use our new full-backs and we had to use Balotelli, Lallana and Markovic the way they were used in the last few games. That's why I wouldn't say, we fucked up in terms of transfers. Rodgers might have expected one or two players to come right into the team (probably Lovren and Balotelli), but he was forced to use many more which lead to the lack of understanding we've seen on the pitch in my view...

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 05:42:56 pm »
We've not done a Spurs, they made scatter gun signings for me.and didn't squad build. I think you can see logic behind all our signings but if everyone else was fit they wouldn't be starting as much as they are now.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 08:19:15 am »
Suarez and Sturridge scored over 50 goals between them last year and they are both missing, its no wonder we are struggling

when sturridge is back im sure we will be better with him and balotelli upfront just like against spurs
i agree but Sturridge averages to miss about 25% of games with injuries and that's  a concern

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 08:46:03 am »
They weren't as bad as us while new players settling in.
They won 4 of 6 first games with a loss to Arsenal and one draw to Chelsea.

So far we have played 5 PL games, won two, lost 3.

In future 'Doing spurs' will be changed to ' Doing Liverpool'  :(
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 08:55:26 am »
Good lord Rodgers is creating more problems than he is resolving, 3 seasons in and he still thinks Lucas and Gerrard is an acceptable midfield duo? especially with Gerrards 3rd game in 7 days.. It's just terrible management, and he'll break our captain sooner rather than later. Is he too in awe of our captain to drop him? Seems he has a huge blind spot when it comes to Gerrard and Skrtel, especially considering he lauds our issues as lack of intensity.. Well Gerrard is the main culprit for that.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 09:00:58 am »
Good lord Rodgers is creating more problems than he is resolving, 3 seasons in and he still thinks Lucas and Gerrard is an acceptable midfield duo? especially with Gerrards 3rd game in 7 days.. It's just terrible management, and he'll break our captain sooner rather than later. Is he too in awe of our captain to drop him? Seems he has a huge blind spot when it comes to Gerrard and Skrtel, especially considering he lauds our issues as lack of intensity.. Well Gerrard is the main culprit for that.

get a fucking grip

Offline ShayGuevara

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 09:04:38 am »

Gerrard is a luxury player with the system built around him. He's not responsible for the intensity of our pressing (I presume that's what you mean by intensity). That starts from the front through Sterling, Balotelli, Henderson, Lucas and the full back's.

I do agree Rodger's over play's Gerrard though, ironic that he dropped Sterling last week but Gerrard at his age doesn't even come off when we're winning by 3 or 4. Lucas is finished, I'd be amazed if he ever reaches the level's he was at previous.
"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life" Bill Shankly

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 09:08:35 am »
Gerrard is a luxury player with the system built around him. He's not responsible for the intensity of our pressing (I presume that's what you mean by intensity). That starts from the front through Sterling, Balotelli, Henderson, Lucas and the full back's.

I do agree Rodger's over play's Gerrard though, ironic that he dropped Sterling last week but Gerrard at his age doesn't even come off when we're winning by 3 or 4. Lucas is finished, I'd be amazed if he ever reaches the level's he was at previous.

Intensity of our game, Gerrard is meant to be a creative force from deep, there was a point with 5 mins to go when Gerrard was exchanging 4 yard passes with Skrtel for ages inside our own half, there was no urgency and it ended in a long punt up front that got cleared with ease.. That for me is lacking intensity.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 09:14:09 am »
What were the other midfield choices for this game? We're in the middle of an injury crisis with Allen, Can and Coutinho unavailable for this game. The midfield picked itself really as they were the only fit players. Lallana for Lucas was a possibility but it would be a brave selection away to WHU.

However, Skrtel starting was an error which could have been avoided.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 09:16:57 am »
What were the other midfield choices for this game? We're in the middle of an injury crisis with Allen, Can and Coutinho unavailable for this game. The midfield picked itself really as they were the only fit players. Lallana for Lucas was a possibility but it would be a brave selection away to WHU.

However, Skrtel starting was an error which could have been avoided.

Lucas, Henderson and Lallana bring Gerrard on for Lucas after 60, Gerrard and Lucas should be mutually exclusive in the team and rotating with each other, Lucas vs teams who will high press, Gerrard vs teams who will give him space etc.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 09:18:27 am »
Lucas, Henderson and Lallana bring Gerrard on for Lucas after 60, Gerrard and Lucas should be mutually exclusive in the team and rotating with each other, Lucas vs teams who will high press, Gerrard vs teams who will give him space etc.
As I said, starting Lallana as a CM away to WHU is very bold. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 09:22:42 am »

What did we actually sign Lallana for then instead of a player who could play in midfield away at West Ham?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 09:25:51 am »
What did we actually sign Lallana for then instead of a player who could play in midfield away at West Ham?
I'm sure you're loving every minute of this so you can be all passive aggressive to Rodgers again.

To play as an AM in the diamond? To play wide in a 4-3-3? We signed Can as a player who can play in a midfield away to West Ham but he got injured.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:27:36 am by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2014, 09:29:16 am »

Injuries have forced certain hands, but we clearly aren't helping ourself either.. Lallana or Allen is what our midfield need, a player whose first instinct is to turn and drive forward into any space.. Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson all take a touch, look up, play it sideways etc. We really lack that link from midfield and attack.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2014, 09:35:11 am »
I'm sure you're loving every minute of this so you can be all passive aggressive to Rodgers again.

To play as an AM in the diamond? To play wide in a 4-3-3? We signed Can as a player who can play in a midfield away to West Ham but he got injured.

I'm absolutely pissed off and fuming and not enjoying it one bit.

As an AM in the diamond he hasn't got the necessary cover behind him for that type of game. He's not really a wide player either and we have Sterling and Coutinho who can play on the left. Lallana's a quality player but for that price he was a luxury signing we didn't need.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2014, 09:35:31 am »
Injuries have forced certain hands, but we clearly aren't helping ourself either.. Lallana or Allen is what our midfield need, a player whose first instinct is to turn and drive forward into any space.. Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson all take a touch, look up, play it sideways etc. We really lack that link from midfield and attack.
Personally I feel most of our problems are coming from a lack of quality movement upfront (as well as coughing up easy goals from set-pieces). There are no penetrating runs being made by our forwards. Balotelli is not that kind of player while Borini has good movement but little in the way of end product.

Our midfielders are looking up and there is no-one making runs looking to create space. I think we will improve once Sturridge returns and him and Balotelli will be a more classic partnership but it is worrying we are so reliant on a player who is so injury prone.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:11 am »

As an AM in the diamond he hasn't got the necessary cover behind him for that type of game. He's not really a wide player either and we have Sterling and Coutinho who can play on the left. Lallana's a quality player but for that price he was a luxury signing we didn't need.
He can absolutely play as an AM in the diamond and once our other midfielders and Sturridge are fit that system will work fine.

Coutinho is not suited to play on the left which is why Rodgers tries to play him either CM or AM. Markovic and Lallana were signed to suit a 4-3-3. We've plenty of games this season so they will all get significant game time.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2014, 11:08:34 am »

Do you know anything of Lallana, sir? He played all three roles in the 3 of a 4-2-3-1 last season, wide and middle. That's his area of the pitch, not dug in in central midfield.

Offline Madan

• Chaulet. Made in Manchestah. Grand Old Team. Undecided.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 11:12:19 am »
“I was talking to the staff about this the other night – we weren’t blowing teams away in September last year,” he said.

“We had three 1-0 victories and I was being asked questions whether we would be able to score enough goals. We ended the season with 101 in the league.

“We weren’t playing in September how we played from February until May.

----

Someone needs to tell Rodgers it was because Suarez was out last September.