Author Topic: West Ham vs Liverpool (Pre Match Thread),Upton Park - Saturday 20/09/2014 5.30pm  (Read 50876 times)

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Counting shots is useless unless they go in or lead to a goal in some way.
Not if we're talking about creating chances....not goals.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd start with...

3 French speaking players at the back, 2 Spanish fullbacks, 4 English midfielders, 2 Italian strikers - That's what I call a balanced team :P

That's my team, too.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
Not if we're talking about creating chances....not goals.

Exactly. I never said we weren't shit at converting them, just that we made things happen more than v. Villa.
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
I have to say I really hope we start with the same back four as the last couple of games. People calling for Skrtel's reintroduction as a way of making our defence less porous have clearly forgotten last season already. All our CBs have mistakes in them, but the best way of ironing that out is to allow them a measure of consistency which was sorely lacking last year. It also does nothing for Mignolet's fragile confidence to keep switching between two defenders who like to play on the front foot and Skrtel who loves the edge of the box.

Elsewhere Coutinho ahead of Lallana on the side of the diamond with Mario and Borini up front. It should be enough, because this game has taken on a fair amount of importance. Not because of the result in isolation, but because of the need to build up a bit of momentum. The start seems to be a little jittery at the moment and a routine win would go some way to assuaging that.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
Not in the context of discussing weather we had any chances or not.

Yes, but if you're using said chances to justify a performance it doesnt really matter at the end of the day. U could have 20 shots and play crap or 1 shot and play brilliant. Anyway lallana, coutinho (or both) on the bench. No room for both in this imo unless we're brave from the off or going for the win late on.

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
Got to go two up top. We look so much more dangerous with the two up top. Would love too see Lambert given a chance, think he'd work really well with Mario.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
Lallana has to play, he needs games to get his fitness up...
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Need a win. Hope to see Lambert with Balotelli up front. Just have a feeling they will work well together.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Got to go two up top. We look so much more dangerous with the two up top. Would love too see Lambert given a chance, think he'd work really well with Mario.

;)

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd start with...

3 French speaking players at the back, 2 Spanish fullbacks, 4 English midfielders, 2 Italian strikers - That's what I call a balanced team :P

Spot on with that lineup.

That''d be my choice to.   :thumbup

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
So if we win this,  we'll have a massive total of 1 point less than the amazing start of last season.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
This won't be comfortable, always a pain in the arse is big Sam. But I expect us to get a narrow victory.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Im afraid its gonna be another one of those "park the bus against a big team game". We aren't very good at breaking down teams that park the bus. We have to come out of the gates with everything we have and overwhelm them, if we let them get possession early in the game they'll gain too much confidence just like Villa and Ludogorets. We have to take shots from the outside, and not waste any chances we get. Lets go lads we really need 3 points.
Seen us win everything

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Im afraid its gonna be another one of those "park the bus against a big team game". We aren't very good at breaking down teams that park the bus. We have to come out of the gates with everything we have and overwhelm them, if we let them get possession early in the game they'll gain too much confidence just like Villa and Ludogorets. We have to take shots from the outside, and not waste any chances we get. Lets go lads we really need 3 points.

Are we necessarily bad at breaking park the bus teams down, though? Teams last season came to defend at Anfield and got a hiding; it's not as though every team, from my recollection, came to actually try and play. There's a vast difference between a team like West Ham, Cardiff, and Crystal Palace parking the bus, and a quality team like Chelsea putting 11 men behind the ball. Our performance against Villa shouldn't be a continuation of the "we can't beat teams that park the bus" narrative - it was an aberration, as far as I'm concerned, mostly due to injuries, new players, and players out-of-form.

For example, let's say that Chelsea game happens on the opening day of last season, and we go on to have the exact same season we had; and our 2013-14 campaign starts off the exact same way it has. If this was the case, nobody would be saying we can't break down park the bus teams.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:08:41 pm by Kopenhagen »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
I think I'd try Sterling off Balotelli in a staggered front partnership, Lallana in hole and Coutinho on the left side of the diamond. Get him digging in, making tackles and working the ball from deep. 

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think I'd try Sterling off Balotelli in a staggered front partnership, Lallana in hole and Coutinho on the left side of the diamond. Get him digging in, making tackles and working the ball from deep.

I fail to remember Coutinho playing well away from home as a CM, and on current form he's not even good at Anfield. Far too much of a risk, for me.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
I hate late kickoffs. We do our best work in thr afternoon
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline robgomm

• Legacy Fan
I fail to remember Coutinho playing well away from home as a CM, and on current form he's not even good at Anfield. Far too much of a risk, for me.

Away from home issue is overrated for me. He needs to dig in in midfield, I think it's his future more than in the front three or even as a number ten.

And to me it's a bigger risk putting Lallana there as I don't think it's a role he's ever even played. Could be wrong of course.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So if we win this,  we'll have a massive total of 1 point less than the amazing start of last season.

If we win we'll be 2 points up comparing the equivalent fixtures from last season.

That's how I'm looking at it.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Away from home issue is overrated for me. He needs to dig in in midfield, I think it's his future more than in the front three or even as a number ten.

And to me it's a bigger risk putting Lallana there as I don't think it's a role he's ever even played. Could be wrong of course.

Fair enough on Lallana. For some reason I'd be more willing to give him a go there, though.

Offline robgomm

• Legacy Fan
Fair enough on Lallana. For some reason I'd be more willing to give him a go there, though.

He's not fully fit either and it's a demanding role. But yeah, Coutinho has been bobbins so far and needs a performance to get some form going.

Offline brownbear11

• Kopite
  • aht and aboot, ¡dale!
I'd start with...

Yes, please. Balo needs someone opening space and Borini runs plenty to do that. Lallana needs game time. And the diamond is our best formation, practically regardless of the players, because most of our strikers need a partner.

Markovic or Coutinho on as a sub after 60 for Lallana, Lambert for Balo at 75. Maybe Cou first and Markovic for Borini a bit later.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:12:55 pm by brownbear11 »

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
I would rest Coutinho and give him the full 90 against Middlesborough to get his confidence back.
Seen us win everything

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Need a win. Hope to see Lambert with Balotelli up front. Just have a feeling they will work well together.

Agreed - he's a level above Borini. Him or try Sterling off Balotelli

Fucking hell our central midfield doesn't look too clever. Stay strong Jordan

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

We have to win this first.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
Think the idea that West Ham are more expansive is a media tale more than reality. I think Sam has a little more pressure on him to be really positive against say QPR or West Brom, but when they are playing one of the big boys he'll get more criticism for going for it and being beaten 4-2 than he would keeping it tight and losing 1-0. He knows his chances of going toe-to-toe with the better teams are much more limited than shutting up shop and hoping for a set piece or breakaway goal.
This'll be tough and if we play as we have the last two games we will be unlikely to get 3 points.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
Why do all these line ups include Borini
Bizarre how overly impressed people were with his sub appearances

If we play a diamond I'd play Sterling off Balotelli, Lallana or Coutinho at the top of the diamond rather than suffer the drop in quality of having Borini up there

I'd actually go with Lambert and Balotelli up front, he's going to be fresh at least.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Please start with 2 strikers

that is all
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Madan

• Chaulet. Made in Manchestah. Grand Old Team. Undecided.
  • Anny Roader
The way we're performing, i can't see us picking the 3 points.

I'll honestly take a draw and then hopefully we can pick up 3 points in the Derby next week. That'll leave us with 10 points from 6 games.

Sturridge will be back by then, and we should be performing better with him to pick up 10 points from the next 4 games. We should be getting 10 points from this - WBA h, Hull h, Newc a, QPR a.

That will give us 20 points from 10 games. I'll be happy with that.

We can't be doing with another loss here. There will be a bit of a panic if that were to happen.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
What's with the Borini love? Everyone wanted rid now he's good enough?!
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline kopite17

• Legacy Fan
What's with the Borini love? Everyone wanted rid now he's good enough?!

Probably because we seem to be a lot better off with the 2 up front, and when he has been coming on he's looked decent. It's either Lambert or Borini and as expected, more want Borini to start. He offers something different to Balotelli in that he's always moving looking for space, whereas Balotelli is usually somewhat static, wanting the ball to feet.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Probably because we seem to be a lot better off with the 2 up front, and when he has been coming on he's looked decent. It's either Lambert or Borini and as expected, more want Borini to start. He offers something different to Balotelli in that he's always moving looking for space, whereas Balotelli is usually somewhat static, wanting the ball to feet.

Yeah Borini is the king of purposeless running around

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Got to be a 442 diamond. Villa showed us that.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
always a tough game this.....and hugehead will have his troops primed as usual .......would like to think they'd continue with the more expansive tactics they displayed at Hull (and which had their own fans rubbing their eyes in disbelief) ...but knowing Allardyce that was probably a one off..

a dogged 2-2..
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
Got to be a 442 diamond. Villa showed us that.
yeah, triffic formation. mario and daniel running the lines, raheem, adam, jordan and stevie with the supply.
boss formation, boss team

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
yeah, triffic formation. mario and daniel running the lines, raheem, adam, jordan and stevie with the supply.
boss formation, boss team
'Arry Wedknapp

Offline jets red 44

• Main Stander
the best way of stopping them from parking that bus is to get at them and score early. really push for that early goal imho 8)

would also like to see Lambert up front with Mario :odd
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 10:07:51 pm by jets red 44 »

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
Has to be 2 up top really but if it's Borini alongside Mario I'd feel bad for Lambert really. All summer we've been trying to flog borini and lambert was the first or second signing.

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
the best way of stopping them from parking that bus is to get at them and score early. really push for that early goal imho 8)

As the home team the onus will be in them to attack and go for the win, am sure the fans will want and expect as much, and will turn quickly if that does not seem to be the point in case.

We will have more chances to counter then we do at home, and I think we can get a good result if we allow the hammers to think they are in the game.Lure them out , let them have possession and keep the ball, then manipulate the inevitable mistakes they are going to make.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
Yeah Borini is the king of purposeless running around

Woosh? I hope so