Author Topic: Daniel Andre Sturridge  (Read 1157019 times)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #80 on: March 7, 2013, 10:30:02 am »
I'm still skeptical. I'd like to see how he does for us next season. He's done very well as of now but a lot of players have instant impacts and then slowly fade out.

He'll do well as long as hes fit - hes been around long enough not be a flash in the pan I'd say.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: March 7, 2013, 10:45:32 am »
He'll do well as long as hes fit - hes been around long enough not be a flash in the pan I'd say.

Yep. Had 20 goals in his last 50 premier league games before he'd joined us and about 35 of them games were on the right of a 4 3 3! His form wont drop.

Offline Kali Yuga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #82 on: March 7, 2013, 10:49:03 am »
Fitness is the key for Danny boy.
You can cage an animal, but you'll never take away the rage.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #83 on: March 7, 2013, 10:59:23 am »
Yep. Had 20 goals in his last 50 premier league games before he'd joined us and about 35 of them games were on the right of a 4 3 3! His form wont drop.

Everyone's form drops at some point.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #84 on: March 7, 2013, 11:26:27 am »
I'm still skeptical. I'd like to see how he does for us next season. He's done very well as of now but a lot of players have instant impacts and then slowly fade out.

If you're thinking about Ryan Babel, then, I think you're being unreasonable. With him, it was a combination of not being right in the head and not playing.

I dont think this will happen with Sturridge. Brendan Rodgers is a different type of manager.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 7, 2013, 11:32:43 am »

Stop being a pedant, you know what I mean.

Offline Kicked_Into_Touch

• Kopite
« Reply #86 on: March 7, 2013, 12:30:59 pm »
I would say a lot of players who start of well and then fade away are either youngsters in their first season or foreigners new to the league but who then get found out and have 'second season syndrome'

Sturridge has played in the top division for nearly six seasons and has been a pretty consistent scorer during that time. Hopefully if he was going to be found out it would have happened by now.

he has been found out - they know that he is going to either go round them and score, pull a trick and score, or pass to a teammate who will score.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #87 on: March 7, 2013, 12:37:34 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline SYLENTm

• ight be a total uppet :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
    • The Liverpool Way / My FM Story (to start soon)
« Reply #88 on: March 7, 2013, 05:57:38 pm »
Daniel Sturridge will be fit to face Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, assistant manager Colin Pascoe today confirmed.

The striker missed the Reds' 4-0 victory over Wigan Athletic last Saturday with a knock, but having returned to training at Melwood, is expected to be ready to take on Spurs this weekend.

Pascoe told Liverpoolfc.com: "He's looking good. It was his first day training today and he has trained well. He will be available for Sunday.

"Everyone seems fit and raring to go and we can't wait for Sunday."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/sturridge-set-for-spurs-return
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Get him in the scouting team ASAP!

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #89 on: March 7, 2013, 06:12:13 pm »
Great news that.

COME ON REDMEN!

Offline Albanian-red

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: March 7, 2013, 06:15:41 pm »

yep, even to Messi that is happening lately

Offline SYLENTm

• ight be a total uppet :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
    • The Liverpool Way / My FM Story (to start soon)
« Reply #91 on: March 7, 2013, 06:20:59 pm »
yep, even to Messi that is happening lately

If Sturridge's form will "drop" while scoring for 16 consecutive league fixtures I'm cool with it.   :P
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Get him in the scouting team ASAP!

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 7, 2013, 06:31:03 pm »
Full team to face Spuds, get the fuck in

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #93 on: March 7, 2013, 06:42:00 pm »
http://www.rachelsorganic.co.uk/get-in-touch

I just sent them an email saying that they should send him some yoghurts.

Internet terrorists get on it  ;D

Ha Ha. Done. Make it happen people !  :lmao
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 7, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »
In terms of Sturridge's form dropping, its inevitable that his form will drop off some bit.

Currently he has 5 goals in 7 appearances playing 511 minutes which is an average of a goal every 102 minutes.
There's all the fact that one of those 5 was a penalty which skews things a bit especially with such a small sample size.

A goal every 102 minutes is an incredible strike-rate - [just as a comparison Suarez is averaging a goal every 114 minutes this season(28 goals in 3178 minutes) and that includes Suarez's 5 free-kicks]

However looking at his goal-scoring history prior to being at Liverpool, even if he only replicates his form prior to being at Liverpool he will still be an extremely effective goal-scorer. Some people seem to think that he didn't have that a good goal scoring record prior to arriving at Liverpool.

This is incorrect. 

Prior to being at Liverpool he played 6774 minutes (equivalent to 75 full games) at first team level scoring 38 goals, an average of one goal every 178 minutes.

He played 1263 minutes for Bolton (equivalent to 14 full games) scoring 6 goals, an average of one goal every 210 minutes.

He played 974 minutes for City (equivalent to 11 full games) scoring 8 goals, an average of one goal every 122 minutes.

He played 4537 minutes for Chelsea (equivalent to 50 full games) scoring 24 goals, an average of one goal every 189 minutes.

Throw in the factors of 1) his age when achieving these numbers 2) the quality of his minutes [as a young striker he was picking up a fair amount of garbage minutes - sub appearances at the end of games 3) the fact that a fair few of his minutes at Chelsea were played out wide. Compare that to 1) his age now - 23 2) the position he is currently playing 3) the fact that he is an automatic first-eleven player.

Also people going on about why Chelsea let him leave as if it was the transfer was some massive blunder on their part.

All the evidence points to the fact that he would have been out of contact in the summer and there was little to no chance he was going to sign a new contract.[Why would he when no matter what he did an out of form Torres was always going to be picked ahead of him no matter what he did]

Basically Chelsea had a choice between his leaving in January for £12m or leaving in the summer for free.

When you look at it in those terms its hard the massive blunder some seem to think. Compare it to the £25m it cost to hire and fire Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas.

Anyway the key point is - Sturridge's rate of goal-scoring is definitely going to slow down. However even when it does he's still likely to be a very very effective goal-scorer.

Edited to correct copy and past error.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 03:22:37 pm by johnhouldinglfc »

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 7, 2013, 07:02:05 pm »
Ha Ha. Done. Make it happen people !  :lmao

I sent them a link to the YouTube video to strengthen the case.

I've visions of Daniel coming in from training some day and there being a pallet of yoghurt sat waiting from him.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: March 9, 2013, 08:54:21 am »
Still not warmed up to him?

Offline G8S7

• Legacy Fan
  • At the end of the storm There's a golden sky
Sv: Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #97 on: March 9, 2013, 09:43:27 am »
In terms of Sturridge's form dropping, its inevitable that his form will drop off some bit.

Currently he has 5 goals in 7 appearances playing 511 minutes which is an average of a goal every 102 minutes.
There's all the fact that one of those 5 was a penalty which skews things a bit especially with such a small sample size.

A goal every 102 minutes is an incredible strike-rate - [just as a comparison Suarez is averaging a goal every 114 minutes this season(28 goals in 3178 minutes) and that includes Suarez's 5 free-kicks]

However looking at his goal-scoring history prior to being at Liverpool, even if he only replicates his form prior to being at Liverpool he will still be an extremely effective goal-scorer. Some people seem to think that he didn't have that a good goal scoring record prior to arriving at Liverpool.

This is incorrect. 

Prior to being at Liverpool he played 6774 minutes (equivalent to 75 full games) at first team level scoring 38 goals, an average of one goal every 178 minutes.

He played 1263 minutes for Bolton (equivalent to 14 full games) scoring 6 goals, an average of one goal every 210 minutes.

He played 974 minutes for City (11 full games) scoring 8 goals, an average of one goal every 178 minutes.

He played 4537 minutes for Chelsea (50 full games) scoring 24 goals, an average of one goal every 189 minutes.

Throw in the factors of 1) his age when achieving these numbers 2) the quality of his minutes [as a young striker he was picking up a fair amount of garbage minutes - sub appearances at the end of games 3) the fact that a fair few of his minutes at Chelsea were played out wide. Compare that to 1) his age now - 23 2) the position he is currently playing 3) the fact that he is an automatic first-eleven player.

Also people going on about why Chelsea let him leave as if it was the transfer was some massive blunder on their part.

All the evidence points to the fact that he would have been out of contact in the summer and there was little to no chance he was going to sign a new contract.[Why would he when no matter what he did an out of form Torres was always going to be picked ahead of him no matter what he did]

Basically Chelsea had a choice between his leaving in January for £12m or leaving in the summer for free.

When you look at it in those terms its hard the massive blunder some seem to think. Compare it to the £25m it cost to hire and fire Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas.

Anyway the key point is - Sturridge's rate of goal-scoring is definitely going to slow down. However even when it does he's still likely to be a very very effective goal-scorer.
I think he had one more year on his contract after this season.

Offline Outlaw

• Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: March 9, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
He's done very well as of now but a lot of players have instant impacts and then slowly fade out.

Have they? I can't think of many who have come with a very good goal scoring ratio, scored 5 goals in 7 games, then faded away. I can think of a couple of have performed pretty well, but not over that range of games.

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: March 9, 2013, 10:38:51 am »
What if we'd spent 17 million on him and he'd done fuck all? Waiting until January was the right decision in terms of Sturridge.

Well that's a ridiculous post. Who's to know how he'd done if we signed him in August. What if we signed him in August and he was on 25 goals now?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #100 on: March 9, 2013, 10:47:37 am »
Well that's a ridiculous post. Who's to know how he'd done if we signed him in August. What if we signed him in August and he was on 25 goals now?

Indeed. What a pointless post.

Offline Brasco

• Main Stander
  • It's more than a train ride home these days.
« Reply #101 on: March 9, 2013, 12:41:30 pm »

He played 974 minutes for City (11 full games) scoring 8 goals, an average of one goal every 178 minutes.

That's an average of a goal every 122 minutes.
We want to go to the best teams in the world and give them hell

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: March 9, 2013, 12:47:54 pm »
Full team to face Spuds, get the fuck in

Are Kelly and Fabio back?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #103 on: March 9, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »
Are Kelly and Fabio back?

I don't think he included long term injuries. Kelly may be back next month mind.

Offline craig_lfc1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #104 on: March 9, 2013, 01:00:15 pm »
No doubt about Sturridge's ability but I would start him on the bench tomorrow and keep the same team as last week at wigan, when you win 4-0 away from home the team are doing something right...so why change a winning team!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #105 on: March 9, 2013, 01:03:33 pm »
No doubt about Sturridge's ability but I would start him on the bench tomorrow and keep the same team as last week at wigan, when you win 4-0 away from home the team are doing something right...so why change a winning team!
Because Wigan are not Spurs?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #106 on: March 9, 2013, 01:09:08 pm »
No way. Our team and especially our attack is much better and stronger with Sturridge included. Sturridge also offers much needed pace that we can use during our counter-attacks. It's going to be much more difficult for Spurs to mark both Sturridge and Suarez rather than Suarez alone.
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 9, 2013, 01:10:58 pm »
this lad will be the difference

Offline craig_lfc1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #108 on: March 9, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »
I think BR will play the same team as Wigan or atleast just Suarez upfront on his own, he wont put Sturridge right back into the side after injury as he wont be match fit. Plus BR will want to double up on Gareth Bale so he doesnt run riot!

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #109 on: March 9, 2013, 01:16:56 pm »
Doubling up on Bale?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 9, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »
I think BR will play the same team as Wigan or atleast just Suarez upfront on his own, he wont put Sturridge right back into the side after injury as he wont be match fit. Plus BR will want to double up on Gareth Bale so he doesnt run riot!

He wasn't match-fit in his first couple of games and he did alright!

I think he'll play. Bale has been playing more centrally anyway so all this talk of 'doubling up' on him may prove a bit fruitess.

It's at home, we need to go for it, Sturridge will be a really useful outlet in terms of our defence as well because we can knock it over and stretch them more easily.

Offline craig_lfc1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #111 on: March 9, 2013, 01:22:50 pm »
He wasn't match-fit in his first couple of games and he did alright!

I think he'll play. Bale has been playing more centrally anyway so all this talk of 'doubling up' on him may prove a bit fruitess.

It's at home, we need to go for it, Sturridge will be a really useful outlet in terms of our defence as well because we can knock it over and stretch them more easily.

Yeah i understand were your coming from and yes we are at home and need to take the game to spurs but all im saying is that teams all season have made the mistake of leaving Bale one on one with defenders and he punishes them 9 times out of 10! Just like when we had Kuyt, he would always play right wing to help our right back out when playing against the likes of Bale so that our right back wasnt isolated!

Whatever the team tomorrow i think we will beat Spurs!

2-1 Suarez both goals!

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #112 on: March 9, 2013, 02:12:36 pm »
Have they? I can't think of many who have come with a very good goal scoring ratio, scored 5 goals in 7 games, then faded away. I can think of a couple of have performed pretty well, but not over that range of games.

Papiss cisse did even better than Sturridge for 6 months last season and since then he's been absolutely shit

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #113 on: March 9, 2013, 02:16:33 pm »

If we won without Suarez in the side would you leave him out the next game if he was fit again?

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #114 on: March 9, 2013, 02:31:33 pm »
Considering the form he's been in since he joined Liverpool if Daniel Sturridge is fit, he starts.  As good as we played last week without him, we have been a better team when Sturridge has played and he will be chomping at the bit to play tomorrow after missing out against Wigan.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 9, 2013, 02:32:02 pm »
You change a winning team because 1) Better player becomes available and 2) The opponent offers different problems.

We have to stretch Spurs tomorrow and we can only do that from start to finish with one payer in our ranks..Sturridge.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
Re: Sv: Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #116 on: March 9, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »
I think he had one more year on his contract after this season.

There's no evidence to suggest this.

When he signed from City in 2009 he signed a four year contract.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/1712965

At no point is there any mention of him signing a contract extension at Chelsea, either on the Chelsea site or in the media.

I think because clubs generally give five year contracts that some people looked at when he signed - summer 2009 - and basically added on five years to that to come up with his contract begin up in summer 2014. Easy enough mistake to make given how unusual four year contracts are for promising youngsters.

Chelsea generally report all contract extension details for first-team players

Even when an 18 year old Piazon signed a contract extension back in January 2012 the Chelsea website reported on it.

Basically if Sturridge had signed a contract extension there is no way that the club would not have announced it.

Looking at it from another point of view there was no point in his Chelsea career when it would have made sense for the club and Daniel to sign a contract extension. From all accounts he got a serious wage increase after his move from City so there was little or no chance of the club rewarding him for his performance. If the club were going to get him to sign a contract extension the most logical time would have been prior to sending him on loan at Bolton. However given they had Drogba and Anelka already ahead of him and had just paid £50m for Torres I really think its unlikely that a contract extension was signed, especially one that was kept "secret". There was talks of him signing a contract last summer but I really doubt that any extension was signed at this point - it would make no sense from Sturridge's point of view, unless he was happy with a situation where he stood an extremely good choice of not being the first choice striker, which is hard to imagine.

All the people saying that his contract was due to expire in the summer of 2014 - at what point would it have made sense for Chelsea to extend his contract by one year (and only one year) Basically if this was to happen it would surely have been towards the start of his contract. However there doesn't seem to be any evidence whatsoever backing up the idea that his contract was extended by a year.

From all the evidence, he signed one four year contract with City when he joined which meant he was out of contract in summer 2013.

That's an average of a goal every 122 minutes.

Well spotted.

My own fault for copying and pasting - the 178 mins is his overall strike rate.

Edited it to the correct figure.

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 9, 2013, 03:37:38 pm »
Papiss cisse did even better than Sturridge for 6 months last season and since then he's been absolutely shit
Yes for 6 months. Sturridge has been impressive for a lot longer than that.

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 9, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »
If you're thinking about Ryan Babel, then, I think you're being unreasonable. With him, it was a combination of not being right in the head and not playing.

The fact he wasn't very good didn't help either.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2013, 01:02:30 am »
Indeed. What a pointless post.

How is it pointless? There's a big difference between coming in with a 17 million pound price tag on your head in august to coming in with a 12 million pound price tag in January when we're dying for a striker. Everyone's attitude toward that signing would have been completely different, ours and the media's. At 12 million he's viewed as an astute gamble, at 17 million he's our big money purchase of the summer and needs to perform instantly.

He could well have tanked, that isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Given our fixtures at the start of the season it's not unrealistic to say he might not have scored at all for his first 4 or 5 games before you know it that 17 million starts to get at you a bit and the goal gets that little bit smaller.

Bringing him in, in January for that amount of money undoubtedly helped him, we'd seen what 10 million had got us with Borini so everyone was pleased to see Sturridge come in for not much more. We'd been relying on Suarez and praying he wouldn't get injured for 3 months so to see a striker walk through the door who was decent with the ball at his feet, quick and relatively big as well seemed like a dream come true. Then his first competitive fixture was against Mansfield, as a striker you can't ask for much more than that, he then put in a good shift, scored and has kicked on from there.

So I'll ask again, how was it pointless exactly?
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski