Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 129855 times)

Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« Reply #960 on: March 4, 2012, 08:53:13 pm »
Shouldn't we be looking at the reserves? Players like Sturridge and Welbeck seemingly appear from nowhere, why can't we have our own? At least give a couple of them a try.

Ecclestone, Suso, Pacheco, etc etc, what's happened with all of them?!
If Shelvey can hardly get a game then there's no hope for them yet

Offline G-mania

• Kemlynite
  • Loves Fred
« Reply #961 on: March 4, 2012, 08:53:35 pm »
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet, there's some ridiculous statements flying about...

Agreed, sometimes I wonder what on earth the mods are doing when you see certain posts.

Beggars belief.

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #962 on: March 4, 2012, 09:00:33 pm »
The British players will attract the next wave of British talent. Henderson, Shelvey, Carroll, Wisdom, Sterling. These are British players that will play a big role in our future; they will help attract the best of the British.

fixed.

Downing and Bellamy are is two a good British players too that help give us a more domestic approach. All the transfers had a purpose, for more than just there footballing abilities.

fixed again.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #963 on: March 4, 2012, 09:11:26 pm »
fixed.

fixed again.

what do you mean by Henderson ?

Offline aurelian

• Kopite
« Reply #964 on: March 4, 2012, 09:18:16 pm »

I mean that you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Shelvey is, right now, a better player than Henderson.  There's no question about that.  Why we insist with Henderson when 95% of his career with us he's been an anonymous passenger is beyond me.  Why we bought him in the first place, is beyond me.  Why we paid so much for him, is beyond me.  It isn't his fault he's here.  But FFS, take some pressure off the kid and let him come off the bench, and let him play in cup matches.  He is like a chicken with his head cut off most of the time.  Shelvey is younger, more confident, more skilled, and showed against Villa a few matches back why HE should be starting and Henderson should be on the bench. 

Instead, we bump Shelvey off to Blackpool, then bring him back just to sit the bench. 

Shelvey, Sterling, Wisdom, even Coady could all be stars for us in the future.  I don't think Henderson will be.  It doesn't mean sell him or slag him off or any of that business, but at the same time don't be ridiculous and make out like he's something he's not.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #965 on: March 4, 2012, 09:20:38 pm »
Shelvey is, right now, a better player than Henderson.  There's no question about that. 

maybe in your opinion, but I would definitely question it.

I rate them both highly.

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #966 on: March 4, 2012, 09:20:56 pm »

Shelvey is, right now, a better player than Henderson.  There's no question about that.  Why we insist with Henderson when 95% of his career with us he's been an anonymous passenger is beyond me.  Why we bought him in the first place, is beyond me.  Why we paid so much for him, is beyond me.  It isn't his fault he's here.  But FFS, take some pressure off the kid and let him come off the bench, and let him play in cup matches.  He is like a chicken with his head cut off most of the time.  Shelvey is younger, more confident, more skilled, and showed against Villa a few matches back why HE should be starting and Henderson should be on the bench. 

Instead, we bump Shelvey off to Blackpool, then bring him back just to sit the bench. 

Shelvey, Sterling, Wisdom, even Coady could all be stars for us in the future.  I don't think Henderson will be.  It doesn't mean sell him or slag him off or any of that business, but at the same time don't be ridiculous and make out like he's something he's not.

I just dont see the "shelvey is great" argument. He has potential and that is it

Offline ArgImAPirate

• Legacy Fan
  • rat a tat tat
« Reply #967 on: March 4, 2012, 09:22:20 pm »

Because he's 21 and he's put in some very good performances and some very bad performances. Those good performances mean nothing. Those bad performances mean he's not fit to be a Liverpool player. We've seen it all before. I mean, that Lucas Leiva, he never improved did he?

I don't understand why the fuck Henderson's gotten so much stick following a match why he was one of our best players. What I do know is I've seen this type of criticism before. With a player who didn't show as much quality as fast as Henderson has, but the similar age, both midfielders, and both being asked to develop their games to a higher standard. It's not always unfounded. Players have bad games sometimes. But a lot of the time it seems like scapegoating.

We've had a number of bad results and are having a disappointing league season. I think our defense is solid. Our problems like in our midfield has no balance or rhythm to it, and our strikers look bereft of confidence. Sometimes Henderson has been a part of the problem. But I think he deserves credit as a young kid in his first season for the improvement he has shown. He was easily our best midfielder yesterday.

Offline masterbaker

• kneads a good rise.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me
« Reply #968 on: March 4, 2012, 09:22:52 pm »
to be honest after this summer gone i wouldn't trust either comolli or kenny, as soon i see matt jarvis linked in the summer, im staging a coup, im gonna march into anfield confiscate the cheque and make commolli eat his own glasses!

Offline Dudek

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: March 4, 2012, 09:22:55 pm »

How can Shelvey be a better player than Henderson right now? Hendo has played around 100 PL matches, he's got bigger experience. He's very good player and if you don't see it then it's your problem...
"We do not need to give away flags for our fans to wave - our supporters are always there with their hearts and that is all we need. It's the passion of fans that helps to win matches - not flags."
- Rafael Benitez

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #970 on: March 4, 2012, 09:23:13 pm »

Henderson is a top young player, and if he was in Italy or Spain they would be all about him. Here we point to the more explosive player and claim he is better. Last game I say Johnjo play in the centre he was fucking awful. Funny how he was 'like Gerrard better behind the striker than i the middle.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #971 on: March 4, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »

Don't know what you are talking about mate. Henderson was an integral part of the Sunderland midfield for a whole season and frankly I thought he played really well against Arsenal, and has been very tidy in other matches.
What have you seen to show that Shelvey is better than Henderson in every respect? You said there is no questioning that.
Were you going off him playing in the championship and a few sub appearances for us where everyone has fatigued and he comes on with fresh legs so shows a little spark?
Obviously if he was so much better than Henderson, I am pretty sure this would have been shown in training and he would have got more game time.
Even when he was at Blackpool the fans were getting on his back until he started to bang a few in, his positioning was questioned along with this work rate.
Shelvey is young  and raw and so is Henderson. But Hendo has shown that he can read the game well and has shown he can perform in the premier league for a whole season while Shelvey has not.

They both have bags of talent but Henderson is still ahead of Shelvey for me.

Hendo will come good, you are blind if you cannot see that.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: March 4, 2012, 09:32:45 pm »
Jordan Henderson is an absolute quality youngster. His technique, effort and ability will stand him in good stead for the future, and he will be a pivotal player for us.

Offline mat106

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: March 4, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »
Jordan Henderson is an absolute quality youngster. His technique, effort and ability will stand him in good stead for the future, and he will be a pivotal player for us.

I think you're right but only if they play him in the right position

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: March 4, 2012, 09:37:51 pm »
Henderson is a top young player, and if he was in Italy or Spain they would be all about him. Here we point to the more explosive player and claim he is better. Last game I say Johnjo play in the centre he was fucking awful. Funny how he was 'like Gerrard better behind the striker than i the middle.

No they won't, Henderson is very much English in style, Lampard was not explosive and still got a lot of plaudits.

Offline TheRussianBiscuit

• custardcreamski
  • Main Stander
  • Hey hey hey its the biscuit in the house!
« Reply #975 on: March 4, 2012, 09:39:15 pm »
I think you're right but only if they play him in the right position

as with 99% of players
"I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches"

Offline andywilko

• Anny Roader
  • Thank You
« Reply #976 on: March 4, 2012, 09:48:28 pm »
Not sure what the Shelvey v Henderson argument has to do with the topic, except that they are both good players and two reasons why the 1 or 2 adjustments we need are not in midfield.  We bossed the game yesterday and if you compare it to games a couple of years ago against Arsenal where we never saw the ball for long periods, the quality of what was near enough our second choice midfield was clear.  The quality of our first, second and third choice strikers is nowhere near good enough - regardless of love and loyalty the 'goals for' stat does not lie. 100% of any money available this summer should be spent on one player - the absolute highest premium striker Comolli can persuade to come here.  If there's any money left, a young prospect in the same position would be good because we are looking very, very thin at the sharp end. 
And with such simplicity,
The European Cup, surely, is won.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #977 on: March 4, 2012, 09:50:40 pm »
No they won't, Henderson is very much English in style, Lampard was not explosive and still got a lot of plaudits.
I didn't say he wasn't english in style, even if I disagree. Henderson has the technique, and movement. He can press the ball well, and moves the ball first time almost all the time.

He is going to be a real top player IMO, only if we use him properly though.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: March 4, 2012, 09:58:30 pm »
As long as the 1 or 2 adjustments are a world class finisher or a finisher with world class potential & an AM/RW of a similar standard then I'm with DC. They might cost £50m+ though.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #979 on: March 4, 2012, 10:01:03 pm »
to be honest after this summer gone i wouldn't trust either comolli or kenny, as soon i see matt jarvis linked in the summer, im staging a coup, im gonna march into anfield confiscate the cheque and make commolli eat his own glasses!

:D Good, I'll be the guy next in line when we move on to scott sinclair.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #980 on: March 4, 2012, 10:04:19 pm »

Wow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: March 4, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
:D Good, I'll be the guy next in line when we move on to scott sinclair.
Not a bad player, once we get the players we need first. He would be a good option while we try to get sterling up and running.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: March 4, 2012, 10:06:34 pm »
As long as the 1 or 2 adjustments are a world class finisher or a finisher with world class potential & an AM/RW of a similar standard then I'm with DC. They might cost £50m+ though.

This is all that needs to be said and done.
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #983 on: March 4, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »

Surely though we should be looking to sign really promising players who have the capability of making that step into a higher standard? You know, the gems before they really shine.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #984 on: March 4, 2012, 10:10:47 pm »
Not a bad player, once we get the players we need first. He would be a good option while we try to get sterling up and running.

I would actually be gutted if we signed scott sinclair, he would be an awful signing. Hes worth a couple of million yet we'd end up paying £12m-£15m.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: March 4, 2012, 10:25:45 pm »
I would actually be gutted if we signed scott sinclair, he would be an awful signing. Hes worth a couple of million yet we'd end up paying £12m-£15m.
If we paid that we would be mad. 5m and he could be an option to stretch defences.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #986 on: March 4, 2012, 10:40:25 pm »

Why you can't see Henderson's potential is beyond me.

The price we paid for him is reasonably fair. Talkin about the real price here which was 13m which could rise up to 16m and not the Sly's imaginary 20million. Don't forget that he's just 21 years of age and has been asked to play out of position most of the time.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: March 4, 2012, 10:44:02 pm »

Your on crack.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: March 4, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »
A striker who scores goals and cover for Lucas would be nice. Hopefully Kenny will be able to shift some of his mistakes on quickly too.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #989 on: March 4, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »
One thing that is pretty certain after yesterdays result is that we can forget players who are currently with CL teams or who will be in CL teams next year. The likes of Hazard etc has said several times that he/they only want to play in that comp.

So Comolli & Kenny will now probably have to look at teams out of that criteria unless we want to pay top dollar to a more mercenary type player. Unless we find another one or two who have supported the club since birth/embryo/conception/received contract!!
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline Cream147

• Anny Roader
« Reply #990 on: March 4, 2012, 10:54:51 pm »
Enough about Torres already... Just forget about him. He had just about everything he needed playing for us and he blew it. He's finished as a top class striker anyway.

With this attitude, you are the one who might be blowing it. If we can get Torres back cheap over the summer, then absolutely we should do it. Kenny was there when Torres was performing at his best. Kenny will have an idea of how to get the best out of Torres. A player like Torres is the missing ingredient for us, and who better than the man himself? How can you say he's finished at the age of 27? The problem for him is that he's not getting what he needs at Chelsea. We gave him that before, we'll give him it again. Grudges get in the way of winning trophies.

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #991 on: March 4, 2012, 10:58:44 pm »

What has Henderson done to you to deserve your burning hatred?

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #992 on: March 4, 2012, 11:00:11 pm »
If we had a £15-20m budget in the summer for a number 9, i think Torres is the best we could get.

We won't get the likes of Cavani, Higuain or Villa as they would demand around the £30m mark.

If the service and assists are there, I'm convinced that a happy Torres would bury the chances we give him.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #993 on: March 4, 2012, 11:00:29 pm »
Gorra say, I prefer Shelvey to Henderson myself. Think Henderson has a lot going for him though. Just Shelvey knows where he wants to play and how to play it. Henderson doesn't seem to know if he's coming or going half the time. Some of the time you can put it down to shape, but a lot of it is just him.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: March 4, 2012, 11:00:38 pm »
Aurelian supports Sunderland don't ya know?

Hi JasbinderX  ;D
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: March 4, 2012, 11:00:44 pm »
With this attitude, you are the one who might be blowing it. If we can get Torres back cheap over the summer, then absolutely we should do it. Kenny was there when Torres was performing at his best. Kenny will have an idea of how to get the best out of Torres. A player like Torres is the missing ingredient for us, and who better than the man himself? How can you say he's finished at the age of 27? The problem for him is that he's not getting what he needs at Chelsea. We gave him that before, we'll give him it again. Grudges get in the way of winning trophies.

No. How much do you think it would cost to buy him? How much do you think he would want in wages? He wouldnt take any sort of wage drop. How many goals has he scored? Thought so. The man is finished. I've been hearing the same bollocks about torres since he went to stamford bridge. "He's world class, he'll come good" Month after month after fucking month...you know what...he isnt coming good. He looks shit for spain and with the creativity in there squad thats saying something, he looks shit for chelsea after over a year too and what with his experience aswell he still cant buy a goal, i mean fucking hell even that medal thief down the road would have a better chance at grabbing a goal than torres and he's never fit! Plus there a pair of c*nts. Thought i'd throw that one in there incase my feelings weren't visible.

Oh yeah and...he talked shit to marca, came across as a right unproffesional twat, like we didnt guess that when he handed in a transfer request just as suarez was coming to be his strike partner.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 11:03:11 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: March 4, 2012, 11:02:38 pm »
Surely though we should be looking to sign really promising players who have the capability of making that step into a higher standard? You know, the gems before they really shine.

Ideally yes, that's why I tried to say "or a finisher with world class potential", but I think that's easier said than done. I'm all for signing promise but sadly we need a top goalscorer now not in three years time.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: March 4, 2012, 11:06:41 pm »
We should just get Newcastle's scout.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #998 on: March 4, 2012, 11:12:11 pm »
Comparing a young guy who has had cameo apperances and done a couple of good things and a couple of bad with a guy who is playing regular 90 minutes and having some good games and some bad. The RAWK way. Obviously the guy who isn't playing can be extrapolated into a world class player.
Henderson and Shelvey are both great talents, and very different. But right now there is a reason Henderson plays regular for us and Shelvey doesn't. There is a reason that Henderson is the captain and first name for the U21 and Shelvey is an occasional sub. They are on different points in their career development.
People talk as if Shelvey has scored and created a bunch of goals for us every time he has come on. He hasn't. He has shown confidence and done things that sometimes pay off and sometimes don't. He has often come on in games that are already won. His instructions probably amount to "have fun and try and cause them trouble."
Henderson is starting games, with a clear game plan and set of instructions and a much more complicated role, sometimes in a position that doesn't suit him.
That's how the coffee smells to me anyway.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #999 on: March 4, 2012, 11:13:30 pm »
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet, there's some ridiculous statements flying about...

Exactly we have some posters saying we are playing better football now then the end of last season, even to the point that we it was due to good fortune that we performed so well and not do to with concise football, running off the ball and midfielders running into the box to score,
I am all for positive thinking but this has been one of the poorest EPL seasons in terms of quality for years all the teams above us have been poor (just look at the abject failure of English teams in the CL) if we had played like we had at the end of last year we would be competing for a top 4 place at least - we should of concentrated on improving that team and not dismantling it, now we are left with a team which is not top 4 even in this poor league.
We need more then 1 or 2 players imo for our first team, I would say 4 players (striker, CM and 2 wingers) are needed. That would leave alot of summers sigings like Downing and Carroll on the subs bench (prob the most expensive in the world let alone EPL)