Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 85480 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Simon Mignolet...
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2014, 08:39:34 pm »
First season you ship 50 goals , 2nd season you play 5 games and ship 8 goals. Not saying it's all his fault in the least but you can't be anywhere near confident with that.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:18 pm »
Gerrard tore a strip off him in the Ludogorets game. Had a proper rant at him, I've forgotten why exactly now but I'm sure the reason won't be a million miles away from a piece of dubious Mignolet decision making.

Mignolet should have gave him some back given his performances in the last few months
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44:39 pm »
I've seen a few people in this thread describe Mignolet along the lines of ' great shot stopper but has the odd brain fart'. My interpretation of this is that some people think he's a good keeper but has the odd mistake (brain fart) in him. That his issue is one of consistency.

For me, consistency isn't the issue. For the things he's good at (e.g. Shot stopping) he seems pretty consistent to me. For me his goalkeeping issues are more down to fundamental flaws in his game rather than inconsistency. His distribution isn't great but I think it's a bit of a red herring. His main issues are command of his area and his decision making. His decision making, and obvious indecisiveness,  when it comes to collecting crosses or when to sweep seem to be the main issues. Ones that currently look be transmitting uncertainty to the rest of the team.

It's clear that the flaws in Mignolet's game are being exacerbated by playing behind a new defence and a distinct lack of confidence in his own game. I think he'll improve as the defence settles down and he regains some confidence. His is definitely a better keeper than he has shown so far this season.

However, long term I don't seem him as our goalkeeper. Unless he makes giant strides, which is possible, on the weaker attributes of his game then I can always see him falling just short of the type of keeper we would need in our current system.

Hard to disagree with that.

Gerrard tore a strip off him in the Ludogorets game. Had a proper rant at him, I've forgotten why exactly now but I'm sure the reason won't be a million miles away from a piece of dubious Mignolet decision making.

If I remember, Stevie tore a strip off him after he himself had made a mess of a header back towards his own goal. Although Mignolet was hesitant it seemed as though it was Stevie's fuck up that caused it.

Offline TheUSSR

• Anny Roader
  • Trotyovskyi, CCCP GangWarfare, TSAR
« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2014, 08:46:24 pm »
Does anyone know what Min this occured in? Thanks.
Lazar Marković, Čačak, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Offline TheUSSR

• Anny Roader
  • Trotyovskyi, CCCP GangWarfare, TSAR
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:38 pm »
Not a bad point, but can you imagine Mignolet having a go at anyone? He's a pussycat of a keeper. Should probably duck out of this thread now as I've had my whinge, but I've totally lost patience with the lad after this weekend.

Agree. I wished we bought Begovic. I know this will be coming out as a whinge but he just looked big, imposing and was great with his feet. (See World Cup).
Lazar Marković, Čačak, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »
Agree. I wished we bought Begovic. I know this will be coming out as a whinge but he just looked big, imposing and was great with his feet. (See World Cup).

Seem to remember him being linked withUtd at the time, they even bought Butland as his replacement it seemed, but Begovic stayed.

13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2014, 08:52:01 pm »
:lmao People blaming the keeper for the first goal, the center backs and Hendersen were at fault.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2014, 09:01:33 pm »
The defense and the keeper are making each other shit themselves at the moment I think.  Neither have a great deal of confidence in each other, which is understandable.

Mig is a very good shot stopper, he is okay on crosses and his kicking is average but looks to have improved a bit.  A neuer type keeper he is not and shouldn't be asked to play like one.

When we are more solid in front of him I'm sure he will improve, I do hope we get Valdes though as he does need the competition. 

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2014, 10:22:41 pm »
Tony Barrett saying Valdes is lined up and could join as early as next month if he proves his fitness.
Hope Mignolet proves to Brendan hes good enough to keep his place.

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:30 pm »

He's cost Stoke 2 games and Bosnia 1 already this season though, I'm not convinced he's that good.

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2014, 10:49:45 pm »
Mignolet should have gave him some back given his performances in the last few months

:lmao

What nonsense.

Yeah our keeper who's been bang average pretty much for a year should try having a go at our captain and greatest ever player who was one of the best players in the league last season. Good luck with that.
“It’s everything. For the people of Liverpool, football is a way of life. For many other cites or countries it’s a sport and it’s a pastime but football here is a way of life”

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2014, 10:50:54 pm »

What nonsense.

Yeah our keeper who's been bang average pretty much for a year should try having a go at our captain and greatest ever player who was one of the best players in the league last season. Good luck with that.

The past is the past, Gerrard had his flaws last season too just like Mignolet
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2014, 10:52:27 pm »
Nothing wrong if he gave some back to Gerrard, they all needed a kick up the arse.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2014, 10:55:42 pm »
The past is the past, Gerrard had his flaws last season too just like Mignolet

Except Gerrard was still key for months in dragging us into the title fight with moment after moment of balls of fucking steel.

Ridiculous to suggest that after a Mignolet fuck up and Gerrard having a go at him for that moment in time Mignolet should try to fucking dig out Gerrard for things he's done in previous games.
“It’s everything. For the people of Liverpool, football is a way of life. For many other cites or countries it’s a sport and it’s a pastime but football here is a way of life”

Offline Koplord

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2014, 10:56:23 pm »
Last season I thought Mignloet was very good but as the season went on I was more and more wary of him. Since the start of this season I'm really doubting his ability as our number 1, his shot stopping is of good quality but he offers nothing else.

Creates uncertainty with any ball in the air, His positioning 1v1 is horrendous , His reading of the game is just as bad.
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2014, 11:00:01 pm »
Valdes coming in and providing competition will be good for us. He needs it big time.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2014, 11:02:19 pm »
Except Gerrard was still key for months in dragging us into the title fight with moment after moment of balls of fucking steel.

Ridiculous to suggest that after a Mignolet fuck up and Gerrard having a go at him for that moment in time Mignolet should try to fucking dig out Gerrard for things he's done in previous games.

As I said the past is the past, Gerrard himself said forget last season, if Gerrard was fuming at me for cocking up i'd be giving him shit right back for his performances this season.

Neither of them are good enough anymore, it's like the one legged man laughing at the bloke with 1 arm

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2014, 11:08:36 pm »
Valdes coming in and providing competition will be good for us. He needs it big time.

Yep worried about him at the moment.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2014, 11:10:08 pm »
his shot stopping is of good quality but he offers nothing else.
His shot stopping isn't even all that good.  He gets to a lot of shots but his technique to avoid putting the rebound into harm's way is very suspect.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Cloudstepper

• Anny Roader
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2014, 11:10:34 pm »
As I said the past is the past, Gerrard himself said forget last season, if Gerrard was fuming at me for cocking up i'd be giving him shit right back for his performances this season.

Neither of them are good enough anymore, it's like the one legged man laughing at the bloke with 1 arm

Gerrard is more than still good enough, he just needs to be managed better in terms of rest, that falls on the manager, another thing he's not got right, as for Mignolet, he's an average goalkeeper, we've had much better and i hope we get better asap..

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2014, 11:12:19 pm »
Gerrard is more than still good enough, he just needs to be managed better in terms of rest, that falls on the manager, another thing he's not got right, as for Mignolet, he's an average goalkeeper, we've had much better and i hope we get better asap..

Even when Gerrard was playing 1 game a week there were clear defensive issues stemming from him

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:49 pm »

You'd be a pariah in the dressing room then.

Yeah if your captain and leader critisices you for a mistake there and then and you drag up shit he did in previous games whilst having the audacity to then say 'the past is the past'

The irony is hilarious.

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2014, 11:25:00 pm »
Feel for Mignolet. He came in as a great shot stopper and showed it last season but now he's been asked to become more commanding and decisive but he looks totally lost. He's got no confidence and that unsettles the defenders in front of him.

If Valdes hasn't lost much of his quality I think he'll come in and take Mignolet's place but maybe he can help Mignolet. Also doubtful of Achterberg's ability as a GK coach.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2014, 11:30:21 pm »

You'd be a pariah in the dressing room then.

Yeah if your captain and leader critisices you for a mistake there and then and you drag up shit he did in previous games whilst having the audacity to then say 'the past is the past'

The irony is hilarious.

Not just previous games though was it, he's been awful all season

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:00 pm »
Not just previous games though was it, he's been awful all season

And what makes a season so far? Yes, previous games which have been played.

Laughable to suggest Mignolet should shout back at Gerrard.

'Fuck sake Mignolet come and clear that ball now lad for fuck sake'

'Shut up Gerrard you didnt track a runner last week who the fuck are you to talk to me. Other than my fucking captain'

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:01 pm »
I for one can't seem to see this 'great shot stopper' thing. Mind you, I'm not anti-Mignolet and I hardly bitch about him anyway, but it seems that people always bring this argument about in a way to overcompensate for his occasional blunder. He's alright at stopping shots, but I haven't seen many incredible saves from him yet. He's solid in that department and that is it. Not the kind of keeper you'd expect to pull out some miracle.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2014, 11:40:46 pm »
And what makes a season so far? Yes, previous games which have been played.

Laughable to suggest Mignolet should shout back at Gerrard.

'Fuck sake Mignolet come and clear that ball now lad for fuck sake'

'Shut up Gerrard you didnt track a runner last week who the fuck are you to talk to me. Other than my fucking captain'

I'm not talking just about previous weekends now though am I? What happened last season is irrelevant is what I am saying.

It's not the role of the captain to start shouting in the face of one of his player's in the middle of the pitch in front of everybody when he fucks up. Mignolet was well within his rights to say "How about offering me a bit of fucking protection from the midfield then"

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:27 pm »
I'm not talking just about previous weekends now though am I? What happened last season is irrelevant is what I am saying.

It's not the role of the captain to start shouting in the face of one of his player's in the middle of the pitch in front of everybody when he fucks up. Mignolet was well within his rights to say "How about offering me a bit of fucking protection from the midfield then"
Pointless to talk about such things as we can only speculate what really happened, but how would midfield protection keep Simon from messing up? He either saves it or he doesn't - he hasn't been criticised for the amount of goals he let in itself, but rather the ones he did and were his fault.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2014, 11:45:04 pm »
I don't know why people are looking forward to the possibility of us signing Valdes. He was not particularly outstanding during his last years at Barca and was always behind Pepe in Spain's pecking order. He has had a serious injury and won't have played for ages. To have binned Pepe and end up with this goal keeping calamity is not what I expect of a manager who claims he plans meticulously.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2014, 11:53:58 pm »
^ Ehm...He was Barca's player of the season last year prior to his injury and in form of his life. Barca would have won a domestic double had he not done his ACL.

And Valdes is a winner/leader/ and a champions. A commanding one and is brave as fuck. He can't sign soon enough !

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2014, 12:02:20 am »
I don't know why people are looking forward to the possibility of us signing Valdes. He was not particularly outstanding during his last years at Barca and was always behind Pepe in Spain's pecking order. He has had a serious injury and won't have played for ages. To have binned Pepe and end up with this goal keeping calamity is not what I expect of a manager who claims he plans meticulously.

What!? Last season he was easily one of Barcelona's best players, that is complete and utter nonsense.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:14 am »
:lmao People blaming the keeper for the first goal, the center backs and Hendersen were at fault.

I'm no expert on goalkeeping but I'd want my 'keeper to deal with a ball that's travelled 50 yards and ended up in the 6 yard box.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2014, 12:14:13 am »
He's made some blunders in his days with us but he's certainly not ready to be vilified on here. The first was a typical set-piece football goal, the second was a class finish and the third was questionable positioning.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2014, 12:15:50 am »
I'm no expert on goalkeeping but I'd want my 'keeper to deal with a ball that's travelled 50 yards and ended up in the 6 yard box.
He's not going to collect that at such a wide drop mate.

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2014, 12:23:01 am »
The whole defence again is not doing so well. We can't even think of winning the league in this form. A confident goalkeeper and defenders are all part of that. Seems who ever we have between the sticks we slag them off.

Not convinced with him so far but he is always capable of a great stellar save as well. I would of rather of kept Reina and see him grow into the role but that was never going to happen. Mignolet has not received serious competition for his place either - would he really drop Mignolet and pencil Jones into the teamsheet?

You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2014, 02:57:27 am »
I think he's a pretty poor goalkeeper, to be honest. I've had my doubts about him from the very start in that opening game against Stoke last season. Yes, he saved a penalty but his performance that day was very shakey and unconvincing. And nothing he has done in the last 13 months has made me feel any better about having him as number 1.

That second goal yesterday was a joke. Yes it was a great chip and there probably wasn't much he'd have been able to do about it anyway. But don't just fucking stand there and watch it float over your head lamely. Throw yourself into the air and try and tip it over like Neuer, Courtois and the top keepers would do.

He's just doesn't have that confidence and aura that a top keeper should have. He looks terrified when the ball comes near him when he should be bossing his area.

Just not up to it, sadly.

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2014, 03:08:18 am »
One of my mates is a GoalKeeping coach and he told me that Mignolet could be potentially walking along the David James path of just crumbling. Do any of you guys see it like that?

I think that's possible but the parallels right now are mainly in the sense that it's coming to a point where every goal that is conceded is blamed on him and nobody else. And this isn't justified. If we want to see how good he can be we should give him our backing until it looks like it's really not possible anymore. The tone of this thread makes it feel like he is letting shots from 60 yards out in between his legs every game!

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2014, 03:12:37 am »
I think that's possible but the parallels right now are mainly in the sense that it's coming to a point where every goal that is conceded is blamed on him and nobody else. And this isn't justified.

That's not true. The blame is shared around, mostly. But he's been disproportionately at fault for a shitload of goals recently.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2014, 03:13:57 am »
Knives are out!

My disappointment has been the goals where he doesn't even flinch let alone try to save
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2014, 03:20:35 am »
That's not true. The blame is shared around, mostly. But he's been disproportionately at fault for a shitload of goals recently.

That isn't the impression I'm getting from the thread though. Some people think he should have done something about the chipped goal for West Ham's second for example. Or that he was at fault for City's first goal where the shot went under him when he tried to make himself big.

I'm not trying to excuse him his faults, but I just don't want it to turn into a David James style vilification - I always thought that was kind of sad (though that was mostly in the press 'Calamity' James and so on). You know what I mean? There's a kind of momentum that can build and build to the point where even unstoppable shots into the corner become his 'fault' and I'd prefer it not get to that. That's all I mean.