Author Topic: Fulham 1-3 Liverpool: Full time...  (Read 36156 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Fulham 1-3 Liverpool: Full time...
« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2013, 10:13:03 pm »
First half of the season: 19 games = 25 points (1.31 points per game)
Second half of the season: 18 games so far = 33 points (1.83 goals per game)

The direction of travel is upwards - more points, more goals, more clean sheets in the 2nd half.

Other factors that will make next season more interesting are:

1. Our newer players will be more settled and will have had a pre-season together.
2. We may get more reinforcements in the summer (bigger/better squad with potentially more cover in each position).
3. Three (possibly 4) of the current top 7 teams will have new managers next season

What we need now is a period of sustained stability, get off the media radar for a while, and plan for our assault on the top 4............and eventually the title.

The kids also can take their experiences from this season into next season. Raheem, Suso and Wisdom.

royhendo

« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2013, 10:15:11 pm »

Offline Dentron

• Eastenders Sci-Fi Spinoff
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »
To me, the answer is no.
In order to get the best out of the three, i.e Suarez, Sturridge and Countinho, we must play them all in the middle.
For me it would ressemble like this: Sturridge      Suarez
                                                                 Coutinho

That might work in fifa or football manager, but in real life Suarez doesn't work like that. He'll never be a cog in a system. He will always be bigger than whatever system he's in. His movement makes it impossible to play him in a formation like that. If he ever plays for us again, I'm praying it's as a winger, and not centrally. He'll score goals centrally, but we won't be a good side.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
Just watched the game now.  What a performance from Sturridge.  Saw someone mention in the video thread that his first goal had a touch of the Torres about it, his whole game today reminded me of Nando in his prime.  The way he glided around the pitch, holding it up, laying it off.  Again, some poor decision making in one or two moments but man of the match nonetheless and two goals with his weaker foot.

Those outside of the boot passes from Coutinho are a delight.  Pepe made a class save today at 2-1 too.  Still not convinced on Coates but his confidence is bound to be low after such little playing time, wouldn't write him off yet.

Genuinely excited about next season for the first time in a while.

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2013, 10:25:04 pm »
Last on MOTD. Typical.

It was a dead rubber game mate, what did you expect?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: May 12, 2013, 10:26:22 pm »
That might work in fifa or football manager, but in real life Suarez doesn't work like that. He'll never be a cog in a system. He will always be bigger than whatever system he's in. His movement makes it impossible to play him in a formation like that. If he ever plays for us again, I'm praying it's as a winger, and not centrally. He'll score goals centrally, but we won't be a good side.
These dead rubber games are not a good indicator of this theory. We have wiped the floor with poor opposition with both Daniel and Luis playing, without having to stick Suarez out wide.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:30:43 pm by Twelfth Customer »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: May 12, 2013, 10:32:23 pm »
Just watched the game now.  What a performance from Sturridge.  Saw someone mention in the video thread that his first goal had a touch of the Torres about it, his whole game today reminded me of Nando in his prime.  The way he glided around the pitch, holding it up, laying it off.  Again, some poor decision making in one or two moments but man of the match nonetheless and two goals with his weaker foot.

Those outside of the boot passes from Coutinho are a delight.  Pepe made a class save today at 2-1 too.  Still not convinced on Coates but his confidence is bound to be low after such little playing time, wouldn't write him off yet.

Genuinely excited about next season for the first time in a while.
Way better than Torres at holding the ball up. Worked brilliantly today, but sometimes he can over do it as we saw last week, when a simple pass or a more direct dribble/run is called for.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline simsim

• Kopite
  • High tempo pass and move is the Liverpool groove
Fulham 1-3 Liverpool: Full time...
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »
It was a dead rubber game mate, what did you expect?

So was Everton vs fat Sam

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2013, 11:06:37 pm »
So was Everton vs fat Sam
Moyes last game.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2013, 11:08:29 pm »
Orrrrrrrr, perhaps, just perhaps,  they schedule it last as Liverpool are one of the most loved (and hated) teams in the UK, thus ensuring they maintain their ratings over the duration of the show?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #330 on: May 12, 2013, 11:12:46 pm »
Man, that's fantastic. :)
Yip- looks like a classic picture.

I like the "vintage" feel to it. No doubt it wasn't planned, but it's one of those photos that is just taken at the right time, under the right conditions.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #331 on: May 12, 2013, 11:13:02 pm »
Played really well in the second half, and in reality we should have had a few more goals.

Sturridge outstanding, but how he didn't pass when we would have had open goal I will never know.

Coutinho was just sheer brilliance.

Shelvey failed to impress again. Really doesn't have much composure in front of goal. It's happened many times this season, and isn't a one off. Not sure who will come in over the summer in midfield, but I can't see where Shelvey fits in to this side which could justify what he is offering at this juncture.

One thing Coates does do is provide aerial ability in the box. Grew in to the game I thought.

YWNA

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #332 on: May 12, 2013, 11:14:04 pm »
Great win. Credit to team and travelling Kop.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: May 12, 2013, 11:15:03 pm »
Played really well in the second half, and in reality we should have had a few more goals.

Sturridge outstanding, but how he didn't pass when we would have had open goal I will never know.

Shelvey failed to impress again. Really doesn't have much composure in front of goal. It's happened many times this season, and isn't a one off. Not sure who will come in over the summer in midfield, but I can't see where Shelvey fits in to this side which could justify what he is offering at this juncture.

One thing Coates does do is provide aerial ability in the box. Grew in to the game I thought.

Few cracking blocks too with his long legs!

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #334 on: May 12, 2013, 11:17:25 pm »
Orrrrrrrr, perhaps, just perhaps,  they schedule it last as Liverpool are one of the most loved (and hated) teams in the UK, thus ensuring they maintain their ratings over the duration of the show?
That's been my take over MOTD for years mate. The most supported teams are left for last. It's the most obvious way to keep high ratings. Anyone in Marketing would tell you that. It sucks, but yeah- that's what being a well-supported club means unfortunately.

I've had no problem with MOTD in regard to that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:19:02 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #335 on: May 12, 2013, 11:22:56 pm »
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Dentron

• Eastenders Sci-Fi Spinoff
  • Kopite
« Reply #336 on: May 12, 2013, 11:30:17 pm »
These dead rubber games are not a good indicator of this theory. We have wiped the floor with poor opposition with both Daniel and Luis playing, without having to stick Suarez out wide.

We've also had a lot of games where Suarez didn't score, and we lost to poor opposition despite loads of chances. Suarez doesn't work well with teammates. When he isn't scoring, he hurts the team. It's awesome that he scores some incredible goals for us, but when he isn't scoring, his play makes it harder for anyone else to score. Poor possession play and extremely poor movement off the ball means fewer chances for his teammates and less space for his teammates to operate.

But this has nothing to do with the match, so I'll shut up about Suarez now.

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #337 on: May 12, 2013, 11:32:47 pm »
Brilliant match by Sturridge.

We're going to be something else next year with Suarez and Sturridge.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: May 12, 2013, 11:35:26 pm »
We've also had a lot of games where Suarez didn't score, and we lost to poor opposition despite loads of chances. Suarez doesn't work well with teammates. When he isn't scoring, he hurts the team. It's awesome that he scores some incredible goals for us, but when he isn't scoring, his play makes it harder for anyone else to score. Poor possession play and extremely poor movement off the ball means fewer chances for his teammates and less space for his teammates to operate.

Look I get he's a maverick and plays several roles within a match but his movement is probably his most outstanding quality. Never seen anyone pull defences all over the place like him. We will get a better idea where we stand on this, quite reasonable debate, next season after the first six games without him. Playing Luis and Sturridge in the same team and getting the best out of both for the team is something that needs working on and both will probably have to curb parts of their game for the greater good.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:15 am »
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:24 am »

Doesn't work well with teammates? Hurts the team when he isn't scoring? Poor movement off the ball? You must be talking about a different Suarez, because those traits sound like the opposite of our Suarez's.

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: May 13, 2013, 12:18:31 am »
haha, that's great ;D

Carra's last dance!   :)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: May 13, 2013, 12:53:45 am »
Well I somehow managed to avoid the score all day till MOTD (was on the boat from the IOM to Liverpool which left at 3pm).

Watched MOTD in suspense. When we went 1-0 down I thought "oh dear, here we go again"....

At full time, very made up for Daniel,  he has settled very well.

Record scoreline against QPR next week please, followed by a strong start next season!

Offline zjim

• Kopite
« Reply #343 on: May 13, 2013, 02:32:17 am »
fantastic win and crawling to a tenth page

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: May 13, 2013, 02:57:10 am »
Here we are on high value entertainment again as we pulverised a team which have lost in 4 previous home games and managed to garner only 1 point in 7. It's not belittling our efforts or the opponent's apparent weakness or state of mind but it's the story of this season. We crush the minnows but struggle against top sides. Should this be a concern? Not really. I'd rather we learned to create and score goals first and then work on the defensive frailties. It seems the right thing to do after a 'disastrous' last season where we defended well but couldn't score to win games we should have won. Had BR done the same thing as Rafa when he took over the reigns i.e., build from the back, he wouldn't be as popular as he is now but that's not to say he's been accepted unanimously by the Liverpool supporters.

In terms of entertainment value, this was mostly all eye candy. I thought before Fulham scored, we actually played well - tight in midfield and defence and we passed crisply. When the sucker punch came (I felt sorry for Wisdom - he looked very nervous and played like a schoolboy but that's understandable), we deserted our passing game. Fortuitously, Wisdom's long punt found Sturridge and boy, he was just in the mood on the day. He could have easily scored a double hattrick with one or two assists. He didn't tuck away the easy ones but his finishing for the second and third goals was class. His control for a striker is excellent.

I thought our midfield did well without Gerrard. Shelvey is a long way off from being Gerrard's replacement but he showed some promise. He tends to dwell a couple of seconds too long when in a position to score. It was brave for BR to leave Enrique on the bench and he's equally brave and prudent to bring him on in the second half. When he came on, he was like a rock. The finest left back we have of recent memory. Lucas did a solid job as did Hendo. Carra was solid again. Coates was lucky to remain in the match. He still has much to learn and I hope he will 'get there'. Pepe pulled off another world class save to deny Fulham the equaliser at 2-1. I hope he stays. Downing put in a solid performance again. Nothing spectacular but just very solid. He put in a few very good crosses and could have scored one himself. Borini was unlucky not to score. Hope he can remain injury free.

The last praise goes to, IMO, joint MOTM, Coutinho. Give him space and he'll create something. He may not have Suarez's bag of tricks but his vision and quick thinking is second to none in the team. We will have a bright future if we can find someone to replace Gerrard and have Coutinho play between the new Gerrard and our frontline. 2 assists and he almost scored one.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #345 on: May 13, 2013, 02:58:21 am »
First half of the season: 19 games = 25 points (1.31 points per game)
Second half of the season: 18 games so far = 33 points (1.83 points per game)

The direction of travel is upwards - more points, more goals, more clean sheets in the second half.

Other factors that will make next season more interesting are:

1. Our newer players will be more settled and will have had a pre-season together.
2. We may get more reinforcements in the summer (bigger/better squad with potentially more cover in each position).
3. Three (possibly 4) of the current top 7 teams will have new managers next season

What we need now is a period of sustained stability, get off the media radar for a while, and plan for our assault on the top 4............and eventually the title.

A win in our final game gives us a 2nd half season total of 36points.........that's top 4 standard.
Onwards and upwards, especially with 2 good summer signings.

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: May 13, 2013, 03:00:11 am »
He had a bit of an out of body experience there in the first half when he thought he was Maradona  ;D

It's a regular feature of his game. He just hasn't been given the chance for anyone (from Liverpool) to know about it.
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #347 on: May 13, 2013, 03:01:49 am »
Was a good match, enjoyed this win immensely. Our front 3 today were a terrifying prospect.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:30:28 am by Historical Fool »
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: May 13, 2013, 04:23:17 am »
I think After watching that game that we have two sets of players one set being really special. Gerrard Suarez coutinho Sturbridge lucas. They are quality and then we are looking at another set which are not nor will be in their class needed to compete against the top 3.
The likes of shelvey Coates despite their age I just can't see them mentally getting there. Johnson and Enrique despite being marvellous athletes lack game IQ and we need a really solid central pairing at the back.
And even though Downing has had a decent season he is still lacks confidence.
We also need to bring in real competition for pepe.
Its BRs first season and he is getting us scoring but we have to now develop mentally at the back and become a really hard side to beat.
I sound pretty morbid I think but Fulham were just shite today as well.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: May 13, 2013, 05:18:16 am »
Commentator on SNS mentioned that we have now scored more away goals this season than in any previous Premier League campaign.

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #350 on: May 13, 2013, 05:22:56 am »
No, you are certainly taking something away from the win, it couldn't be clearer in your second sentence. You should know, you wrote it.

Whats this? Are you not allowed a fucking opinion on here anymore? What I said was reasonable. I gave credit to the manager for making the team play competitively even though there was nothing resting on the outcome.

You'd think what I think was the most obvious thing in the world. We were playing without the pressure of having to get a win to qualify for something.

This place is getting harder to post every day, used to be a time when you could actually put forward an opinion as long as it was reasonable and not made in a derogatory way.

Fuck it, enjoy the "we were fantastic, we were brilliant" type posts. I am not going to lower myself to that level. I will try not to post in the football section anymore,its fucking pointless.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:25:46 am by MassDriver »
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #351 on: May 13, 2013, 05:24:28 am »

I didnt see enough because the stream kept cutting off .. But Shelvey I feel isnt good enough. He will score goals wherever he plays in his career but starting centre mid he doesnt offer enough. Maybe let him off on loan for the full season or sell him but currently we could do with a more dominant clinical player playing there as 4th/5th choice centre mid.

Didnt see enough of Coates but its cool to have a centre back that is an aerial threatl Yeah skrtel and agger have scored from corners in the last year or two but Coates is a threat every corner.

Offline Carrafan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #352 on: May 13, 2013, 05:27:11 am »
All these scorelines - newcastle and fulham - count for nothing unfortunately, great as they are. The same way as Reading's 4-2 win at Fulham last week meant fuckall.

We'll need to do it all over again next season.. when the pressure is on... when the points actually mean something. Then I can really thump my fist.

Thump your fist? Don't hurt yourself.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: May 13, 2013, 05:49:58 am »
Getting into a habit of winning can only bode well for the future.

Sturridge is class - another 20+ goal a season man for us next year I hope and Coutinho is just a joy to watch.

royhendo

« Reply #354 on: May 13, 2013, 06:31:59 am »

Other people have a right to reasonably challenge your views. If you can't take that with any grace, then you won't have to actively decide not to post, because you'll get binned off the site. Go and have a coke and a smile and browse some pornography for a bit is my advice.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: May 13, 2013, 06:51:46 am »
Glad we won and even more so that we turned around the result.
Strange feeling of calm confidence when thinking about the next season.

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #356 on: May 13, 2013, 06:53:00 am »
Other people have a right to reasonably challenge your views. If you can't take that with any grace, then you won't have to actively decide not to post, because you'll get binned off the site. Go and have a coke and a smile and browse some pornography for a bit is my advice.

I made a simple point that we were playing without the pressure of NEEDING to get a result as our season is pretty much decided. There was nothing banking on a win. I credited the manager for getting the players up for a dead rubber game, something that we failed to do last season towards the end.  I made my point in a clear but polite manner. A very obvious point that I reiterated to give some perspective to the win. Its a proven fact that players playing withoutb pressure tend to play freely and with less nervousness and consequently perform better.

I always try to contribute in a meaningful, abstaining from one line two line inanities which contribute nothing in my opinion. You can check my post history for that. I don't need to justify myself.  The rules of 'engagement' should apply equally across the board and not to specific posters making points which are unpalatable to many.

But you are a mod so its not my business to tell you what to do. As I said, since my contributions are obviously deemed to be offensive, i will restrict myself to the other sections. The threat of 'binning' is unwarranted and unnecessary.

Controversial?

Then I get accused of taking something away from the win.  This extremely defensive stance against anything which is perceived to be even slightly against Rodgers is not conducive to debate. Anything contrary to popular opinion is immediately dismissed with derision. At least PoP and the likes attemtp to engage in good discussion and you elarn from them, even though agreement is not always there.

And talking about "grace", this reply was very graceful and encouraging debate?

Yes you are.
God alone knows why you feel the need to share your amazing insights.

This is what I am talking about. 

I have amde my point.
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #357 on: May 13, 2013, 07:02:42 am »
Playing Suarez as a winger? Seriously?
Well, it might work in fifa or football manager but in real life I don't think it works like that  ;)

Why?
Simply beacause Suarez is a player who, if we want to get the best out of him, must not play in a discipline, rigid role like left or right winger.
The same applies to Sturridge here. That's why we must find a system to adapt both of them in the middle, and getting Coutinho feeding them.
That means, that both Suarez and Sturridge could move freely wherever they feel appropriate, giving Coutinho options for a through ball.
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:22 am »
Next season I think it's best to move Suarez (if he's still here) to accommodate Sturridge. A bit harsh on our best player but it's because he is our best player the move hopefully wont effect him too much where as I think Daniel's effectiveness will be lessened as a wide forward.