Author Topic: Liverpool, Gazza and the bizarre mid-season six-a-side tournament of 97  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
Liverpool, Gazza and the bizarre mid-season six-a-side tournament of 97

Imagine the uproar if UEFA announced tomorrow they were to launch a mid-season six-a-side tournament involving four major European teams.

Well, bizarrely, that’s exactly what happened 20 years ago when Ajax, AC Milan, Liverpool and Glasgow Rangers took part in the 1997 Euro Sixes at the Amsterdam Arena.

The two-day tournament was the brainchild of Johan Cruyff and consisted of six round-robin games, divided into four eight-minute quarters, plus a final and third-place play-off. Squads were made up of 11 players per game, with substitutions allowed at any point.

You could be forgiven for assuming the line-ups consisted of barely-head-of reserve players, but you’d be wrong. Each club received £120,000 for taking part in the Sony MiniDisc-sponsored tournament and, presumably as part of the deal, all took strong squads.

Remarkably, the opening round of fixtures took place on a Monday, just one day after Milan and Liverpool had played competitive games. Perhaps the tournament had been on the minds of the Reds’ players – they surrendered a 2-0 lead at Chelsea to lose 4-2 in an FA Cup fourth-round tie at Stamford Bridge on the Sunday. It was the first time since 1964 they had lost a game after being two up.

Rangers at least had one day off following their fixture on the Saturday, while Ajax, the hosts and club where Cruyff made his name, were conveniently on a winter break.

The first of the games, in front of more than 21,000 fans under the arena’s retractable roof, saw Rangers thrashed 6-2 by Ajax, with Patrick Kluivert and Kiki Musampa both scoring twice. Jari Litmanen and Marc Overmars were also on target, with Jorg Albertz and Gordon Durie grabbing the Scottish champions’ consolations.

If Gers boss Walter Smith was not already questioning the merits of the competition, he undoubtedly would have been when Paul Gascoigne hurt his ankle in a collision with Ajax goalkeeper Fred Grim. He later left the stadium on crutches.

The below GIF shows the newly-laid pitch was hardly in the best of condition, and also that huge penalty areas, full-size goals and linesmen were in operation. The whole event was bizarre in the extreme.

As it turns out, Gascoigne’s injury was so serious that he missed England’s World Cup qualifier against Italy at Wembley 16 days later. With Gascoigne absent, Glenn Hoddle’s side were beaten 1-0, courtesy of a goal from Gianfranco Zola.

In fact, Gascoigne did not return for around three months and never really recaptured his form once fit again, leading to him famously missing out on a place in Hoddle’s squad for the 1998 World Cup. It was a hell of a price to pay for an exhibition game.

Back to the Euro Sixes, things did not get any better for the British clubs when Liverpool were trounced 5-0 by Milan in the second game of the day, with a brilliant Edgar Davids goal the highlight. Again, the state of the pitch is clearly shown to be far from perfect.

Things got worse for Liverpool in their second game as they lost 7-3 to Rangers. Dominic Matteo (2) and John Barnes were on target for Roy Evans’ side, but Ally McCoist (2), Albertz (2), Derek McInnes, Greg Shields and Peter van Vossen ensured a comfortable win for the Gers.

Milan went on to beat Ajax 6-2 in the final with Roberto Baggio, who scored directly from a corner, named Player of the Tournament, but they were beaten 3-2 at home by Sampdoria the following Sunday and finished down in 11th in Serie A that season.

Rangers drew 0-0 that weekend at home against Hearts but went on to win the Scottish Premiership despite the prolonged absence of Gascoigne, while Liverpool, who were top of the Premier League at the time of the tournament, eventually finished down in fourth.

http://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/liverpool-gazza-bizarre-mid-season-six-side-tournament-97/

Does anyone remember this??
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool, Gazza and the bizarre mid-season six-a-side tournament of 97
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:38:27 pm »
Pics or it never happened

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 09:42:01 pm »
It is vaguely ringing a bell.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:45:10 pm »
Remember the loss to Ajax clearly.  Think it was on a foreign channel in the days when you got them on your Astra satellite.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:32:31 pm »
Pics or it never happened

Pics and gifs in the linked article
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 10:48:06 pm »
Look at that Milan line-up: Pagotto, Coco, Costacurta, Ambrosini, Davids, Baggio.  That's what it took to finish 11th in Serie A in the golden years.  Maybe they only played with six actually.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:54:35 pm »
Ah, so that's why we threw away the title that year. Makes sense now...

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:11:35 pm »
Remarkably, the opening round of fixtures took place on a Monday, just one day after Milan and Liverpool had played competitive games. Perhaps the tournament had been on the minds of the Reds’ players – they surrendered a 2-0 lead at Chelsea to lose 4-2 in an FA Cup fourth-round tie at Stamford Bridge on the Sunday. It was the first time since 1964 they had lost a game after being two up.

I don't remember the 5-aside tournament but I do remember the Chelsea match. If I remember correctly the first half was one of the most one-sided matches that I had seen. Liverpool should have been 4 up. There was no way that they were going to lose as I had not seen them lose a 2-0 lead. In the 2nd half they just fell apart. I felt sick after the match as it was the first time that I had seen us beaten after being so much on top.
#JFT97

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:27:17 pm »
I don't remember the 5-aside tournament but I do remember the Chelsea match. If I remember correctly the first half was one of the most one-sided matches that I had seen. Liverpool should have been 4 up. There was no way that they were going to lose as I had not seen them lose a 2-0 lead. In the 2nd half they just fell apart. I felt sick after the match as it was the first time that I had seen us beaten after being so much on top.

McManaman missed a sitter to make it 3-0 before half time then Zola absolutely destoryed us second half.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 12:15:53 am »
McManaman missed a sitter to make it 3-0 before half time then Zola absolutely destoryed us second half.

Think they brought Mark Hughes on ar half time amd he bullied Kvarme and the rest. Kvarme had made a half decent start to his Liverpool career up til that point.  Alas, this was the first warning sign that he was fairly crap.

Watched at uni with a random bunch who couldn't understand my foul mood afterwards, think I had to go to bed and sulk after that game!

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 12:33:03 am »
Do not remember the 5 aside tournament at all, I remember clearly though Mark fucking Hughes tearing us a new one in that second half. Welsh twat.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 01:07:20 am »
Watched at uni with a random bunch who couldn't understand my foul mood afterwards, think I had to go to bed and sulk after that game!

I think that game was the one that I remember most for the wrong reasons.......I was so annoyed and angry afterwards.
#JFT97

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 01:23:20 am »
I remember it, I would live breathe and sleep football in those days along with my friends and remember seeing some of it, and definitely reading about it in the official Liverpool FC magazine (who remembers that?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/babb/11669915/Babb-vs-Baggio-the-six-a-side-tournament-that-time-forgot.html

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 05:47:39 am »
Don't recall it, which is quite poor on a personal level as I used to obsessively follow everything liverpool / football back then. Somehow missed it :(

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 11:09:53 am »
Don't remember this one but can remember other 6 a side stuff being played in Manchester, vaguely remember beating charlton 6-3 in a final or something, could be wrong

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 11:12:18 am »
Don't remember this one but can remember other 6 a side stuff being played in Manchester, vaguely remember beating charlton 6-3 in a final or something, could be wrong

Soccer 6 at rhe GMEX!  Used to love that. Think we actually lost to Charlton in a final when they were perennial relegation scrappers and it felt like the end of the world, even though it was pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things!

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 11:32:55 am »
Soccer 6 at rhe GMEX!  Used to love that. Think we actually lost to Charlton in a final when they were perennial relegation scrappers and it felt like the end of the world, even though it was pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things!
That's it, we did lose didn't we, couldn't get my head around it. Must of been on sportsnight or something :)