Author Topic: Liverpool vs Southampton, EFL Cup Semi-Final, 2nd Leg, 25 January, 8pm  (Read 40066 times)

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
Re: Liverpool vs Southampton, EFL Cup Semi-Final, 2nd Leg, 25 January, 8pm
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2017, 07:14:16 pm »
Strongest team possible I hope as we need to win a trophy and this is the best chance we have for one.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2017, 07:58:52 pm »
Are we welcoming the coach?

Offline Dan 7

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2017, 08:02:02 pm »
Apparently Virgil hasn't travelled with their squad, massive boost for us!

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2017, 08:12:46 pm »
Expect a massive reaction. Hopefully Sturridge will start and i'd play TAA for the next two games. If Clyne isn't fully right and we have a prospect like him waiting in the wings just play the lad, no point in playing Clyne who isn't 100% (and had an absolute stinker on saturday). Lallana will surely return to central midfield alongside Gini and Hendo. I'l be optimistic and go 3-0 reds.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »

it really is important for us.

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2017, 08:45:05 pm »

What about Scott, Alan, Gordon and John?

Offline mascherano20

• Main Stander
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2017, 08:58:31 pm »
Player 5 at the back to stop their speedy counter attacks, with Henderson holding. This would mean at any time we'd always have four in a defensive position - especially important as i believe they will play on the counter. Then when we are in a defensive mode, we have the standard back 5, with Henderson just infront.

I'd use Milner on the left side of central defense - knowing if we need to step up he can always push on into midfield.

Get Moreno back in and get him to stay high up on the wing when attacking. This in the knowledge that our third central defender will cover that side if he get's caught.

Coutinho and Lallana central midfield as offensive midfield options. I doubt Southampton will play across the midfield so i predict there won't be much of a midfield battle to be had. I'd accept Gini in there, if we are looking to be a tad more solid.

Sturridge and Firmino central. With Firmino given license to roam anywhere he wants along the front channel. Sturridge told to play on the last man and keep their central defenders occupied to give others space - not drop back into midfield and slow the game down.

This formation ensures we will always have cover when they break on us, it also ensures we have pace in the team with Moreno on the wing, and furthermore ensures  we have creativity in the midfield.

Minoglet

Clyne Lovren Matip Milner Moreno

Henderson
       Coutinho        Lallana
                Firmino
                Sturridge

Erm... I assume 5 at the back is a joke or you haven't heard of Juergen Klopp?! I won't believe the reports on Van Dijk being out until the teams are announced, but that's a massive blow for them if he is. Either way, Coutinho will be stronger again and I think Firmino might have turned the corner and back to scoring again? Our name is on this cup

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2017, 09:01:00 pm »
😂

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2017, 09:09:03 pm »

Anyone think that Oriol Romeu looks like the Hood?

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2017, 09:18:05 pm »
The past few weeks have been a shambles on and off the pitch. Fans in the ground have been poor and so have the team. It really needs to change for tomorrow. Get us back on the March, get us back into title talking contentions over the new few weeks too, starting by getting into a final.

Strong 11 tomorrow, weaker 11 Saturday and back to strong 11 for Chelsea.

Come on red men! The team needs us!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:42 pm »
2 cup games in quick succession. I hope we put out a very strong side for this one. Perhaps something like:

Karius Clyne Lovren Matip Milner Hendo Lallana Gini Sturridge Firmino Coutinho

For Wolves:
Mig TAA Gomez Klavan Moreno Lucas Can Smith Ojo Origi Woodburn

We'd still potentially have a strong side for the Wolves game and allow us to rest the top players for the Chelsea game, which we really need to get something from if we want to keep our title hopes alive.

Pretty much agree with this, except for a few differences in the team to play Wolves. Who's Smith? Did you mean Stewart? If so, I think I would want a more dynamic midfield than those three.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2017, 09:30:00 pm »
Pretty much agree with this, except for a few differences in the team to play Wolves. Who's Smith? Did you mean Stewart? If so, I think I would want a more dynamic midfield than those three.

Indeed Stewart. Although forgot that Ejaria is there as well. He might get a run.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2017, 09:47:42 pm »
Come on Redmen.
Three goals likely to be needed. Sturridge and Origi likely starters I think.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2017, 10:06:53 pm »
This is a semi under the lights at Anfield.  If we can't be up for this on and off the pitch then we might as well give up.  I expect a reaction from Saturday and Southampton to crumble.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2017, 10:18:33 pm »
The past few weeks have been a shambles on and off the pitch. Fans in the ground have been poor and so have the team. It really needs to change for tomorrow. Get us back on the March, get us back into title talking contentions over the new few weeks too, starting by getting into a final.

Strong 11 tomorrow, weaker 11 Saturday and back to strong 11 for Chelsea.

Come on red men! The team needs us!
Nice to see people keeping perspective. ::)

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2017, 10:21:08 pm »
Southampton have sold 3200 tickets from their allocation before taking them off sale.   Hopefully the apathy of the fans is reflected in the performance on the pitch.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2017, 10:53:56 pm »
This is a semi under the lights at Anfield.  If we can't be up for this on and off the pitch then we might as well give up.  I expect a reaction from Saturday and Southampton to crumble.

Whenever Liverpool have needed a reaction after a bad result they have done so. I see no reason why we cannot do that tomorrow night as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2017, 10:57:28 pm »
Not sure why you're getting shit for this. Id nitpick your selection but we must do something different (than the 4 3 3) with the players we have right now. This is a reasonable alternative (through I doubt you've nailed the line up).  Would be madness to trot out the same formation and players  as Saturday.

:lmao he's got Milner playing as one of 3 centre backs. 1 proper midfielder. It's an absolutely terrible idea and laughable

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2017, 11:18:47 pm »
We need a shot in the arm.

We've had a bit of a lull over the Christmas/January period due to our high octane start and both supporters and players look a bit drained and hunkered down, jaded perhaps. Christmas does that to you. The lack of recovery time between drinking sessions/matches, the training or mince pies; the weight of expectation to deliver three points and a roast for the entire family, gifts for all aswell.  The similarities can be drawn as we drag ourselves through January, still having to work hard, but struggling to be productive, buoyant or have much fun. We need an injection of energy, that's payday if you're like me (tomorrow, it's all good). We've all been flagging, under performing and lacking that spring in our step as supporters and people, as have the players. Klopp himself has looked a little fatigued, but he's done extremely well to hold us up and keep our heads above water in this race. We're still with the pack, we are still in all cups.

But now he's given our rallying cry, and tomorrow is the perfect opportunity for that bouncebackability to bounce back. Seriously, a fixture under the Anfield lights, a semi final no less, with a 1-0 deficit to fight against the odds then go toe to with United in the mostly likely of hoods. You know as well as I do if we don't get there to beast the mancs, no matter how much we solemly cheer for Soton, it will be in vein and those pricks will win it. Fuck that. We are gunna have to beat Southampton so we can turn up at Wembley to make Mourinho cry in front of all those United fans and the media, blaming referees for giving nothing against Felliani and throwing all his players under the very buses he parked in front of De Gea (as we will be back in full flow come the end of Feb).

I wanna get there and I wanna beat them and beat him, and for Klopp to win his first final. If he gets there and doesn't win it then mathematicians and physicists world over are going to have to reconsider the very fundamentals of their fields in laws of averages. We get there, we win this I believe.

We need to do our part, Anfield needs to explode with noise the way it often has in circumstances like these. Get right behind the players. Like Klopp asks, I'll be sitting at home on my tablet singing our anthems, supporting and encouraging our players and driving them on to be the very best they can and I don't care that they can't hear me. Encourage them, sing of our glorious past and give them confidence to try everything they can. If Hendo passes sideways, clap, if Coutinho squares up his man, dare him to skin him; when Lallana losses possession, cheers his effort, tell him next time, just do every single thing you can think of to help these players. We're gunna score a 121st minute winner here, prepare yourself to be behind those men, for that long and longer if required. Get louder with every minute that ticks.

Those of you lucky enough to be going tomorrow, get ya selves home sharpish from work, have a glass whilst you change, get to your chosen boozer lively and a few pints down ya. Get into Anfield ready to bellow your lungs out and get behind these boys. They fucking need you.

We are all Liverpool.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:22:39 pm by -Daws- »
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2017, 11:28:05 pm »
Player 5 at the back to stop their speedy counter attacks, with Henderson holding. This would mean at any time we'd always have four in a defensive position - especially important as i believe they will play on the counter. Then when we are in a defensive mode, we have the standard back 5, with Henderson just infront.

I'd use Milner on the left side of central defense - knowing if we need to step up he can always push on into midfield.

Get Moreno back in and get him to stay high up on the wing when attacking. This in the knowledge that our third central defender will cover that side if he get's caught.

Coutinho and Lallana central midfield as offensive midfield options. I doubt Southampton will play across the midfield so i predict there won't be much of a midfield battle to be had. I'd accept Gini in there, if we are looking to be a tad more solid.

Sturridge and Firmino central. With Firmino given license to roam anywhere he wants along the front channel. Sturridge told to play on the last man and keep their central defenders occupied to give others space - not drop back into midfield and slow the game down.

This formation ensures we will always have cover when they break on us, it also ensures we have pace in the team with Moreno on the wing, and furthermore ensures  we have creativity in the midfield.

Minoglet

Clyne Lovren Matip Milner Moreno

Henderson
       Coutinho        Lallana
                Firmino
                Sturridge

fishing surely?? In the words of McEnroe, you cannot be serious
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2017, 12:10:09 am »

Indeed, will mean nothing if we don't take advantage.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2017, 02:03:12 am »
We really need to win by 2 goals unless we want a nervy 1 - 0 extra time and penalties.

So we need to attack with some Heavy Metal Football and descend upon them like a Red Mist !
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:39:26 am by KopThat »

Online Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2017, 04:19:58 am »
We need a shot in the arm.

We've had a bit of a lull over the Christmas/January period due to our high octane start and both supporters and players look a bit drained and hunkered down, jaded perhaps. Christmas does that to you. The lack of recovery time between drinking sessions/matches, the training or mince pies; the weight of expectation to deliver three points and a roast for the entire family, gifts for all aswell.  The similarities can be drawn as we drag ourselves through January, still having to work hard, but struggling to be productive, buoyant or have much fun. We need an injection of energy, that's payday if you're like me (tomorrow, it's all good). We've all been flagging, under performing and lacking that spring in our step as supporters and people, as have the players. Klopp himself has looked a little fatigued, but he's done extremely well to hold us up and keep our heads above water in this race. We're still with the pack, we are still in all cups.

But now he's given our rallying cry, and tomorrow is the perfect opportunity for that bouncebackability to bounce back. Seriously, a fixture under the Anfield lights, a semi final no less, with a 1-0 deficit to fight against the odds then go toe to with United in the mostly likely of hoods. You know as well as I do if we don't get there to beast the mancs, no matter how much we solemly cheer for Soton, it will be in vein and those pricks will win it. Fuck that. We are gunna have to beat Southampton so we can turn up at Wembley to make Mourinho cry in front of all those United fans and the media, blaming referees for giving nothing against Felliani and throwing all his players under the very buses he parked in front of De Gea (as we will be back in full flow come the end of Feb).

I wanna get there and I wanna beat them and beat him, and for Klopp to win his first final. If he gets there and doesn't win it then mathematicians and physicists world over are going to have to reconsider the very fundamentals of their fields in laws of averages. We get there, we win this I believe.

We need to do our part, Anfield needs to explode with noise the way it often has in circumstances like these. Get right behind the players. Like Klopp asks, I'll be sitting at home on my tablet singing our anthems, supporting and encouraging our players and driving them on to be the very best they can and I don't care that they can't hear me. Encourage them, sing of our glorious past and give them confidence to try everything they can. If Hendo passes sideways, clap, if Coutinho squares up his man, dare him to skin him; when Lallana losses possession, cheers his effort, tell him next time, just do every single thing you can think of to help these players. We're gunna score a 121st minute winner here, prepare yourself to be behind those men, for that long and longer if required. Get louder with every minute that ticks.

Those of you lucky enough to be going tomorrow, get ya selves home sharpish from work, have a glass whilst you change, get to your chosen boozer lively and a few pints down ya. Get into Anfield ready to bellow your lungs out and get behind these boys. They fucking need you.

We are all Liverpool.

Nice post.

Yes. The crowd need to get behind the team from the off. It's a semi final with a chance to go to Wembley. The players need explode out of blocks.
YWNA

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2017, 04:29:45 am »
Big game and competition I'm stinging to win. If we can get over the line tomorrow and get some momentum going I'm confident we'll do over United, presuming they themselves win, of course.

Full strength team and go full throttle from he opening whistle.

Offline BabsLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2017, 05:46:35 am »
Australia day tomorrow, public holiday and 7AM kickoff.. what a great way to start a day off work :D lets just hope we win

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:58 am »
Read that Joel Matip is set to make his return to for the semi second leg... Great news!!
But he was injured for six weeks, and Im not sure a heavy 90 minutes will be tasked to him.
We have yet to score against Saints in two meetings this season and Im really really confident
this time we can do it. Believe!!! We can do it!!
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2017, 07:11:18 am »
Ergghhh!!

Redcafe.net
----------------------------

Akash: "Matip is clearly the next Lucas in minds of the deranged scousers. One more injury or layoff and he'll be world class."

JustFootballFan: "If Trump is on a mission to make America great again, Can must be on a mission to make English football great again, cause he makes Lallana look like a mix of Messi and Alonso. "

AndyJ1985: "Liverpool fans find themselves in a situation that I was worried we'd be in with Giggs. Thankfully we've avoided it and he decided to leave. It'll be interesting to see how Gerrard fares when he inevitably replaces Klopp in a few years."
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2017, 07:55:36 am »
Anfield needs to be bouncing tonight...if fans don't get in the mood for this nothing will!! We need an early goal to release the tension. Doesn't feel as though we've done that in a while

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2017, 07:56:39 am »
Ergghhh!!

Redcafe.net

Akash: "Matip is clearly the next Lucas in minds of the deranged scousers. One more injury or layoff and he'll be world class."

JustFootballFan: "If Trump is on a mission to make America great again, Can must be on a mission to make English football great again, cause he makes Lallana look like a mix of Messi and Alonso. "

AndyJ1985: "Liverpool fans find themselves in a situation that I was worried we'd be in with Giggs. Thankfully we've avoided it and he decided to leave. It'll be interesting to see how Gerrard fares when he inevitably replaces Klopp in a few years."

How and why is this relevant to tonight's fixture?
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #229 on: January 25, 2017, 07:57:53 am »
Ergghhh!!

Redcafe.net

Let's concentrate on ourselves eh. If them sad lot want to trawl through our quotes on here, which they frequently do then whatever.
We are better than that!
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2017, 08:02:05 am »
We need at least a 2 goal win by 120 minutes as pretty sure the away goal rule is followed in this competition only a 1-0 win will take it to pens

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2017, 08:05:04 am »
With virgil Van Dijk out for 3 months I am slightly more confident we will win this.  Best player on the park in the last game,  will be a long night for their young center back.

Online bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2017, 08:20:07 am »
Thought for a moment that was who Southampton had left to play in the backs.

Fab. 😃

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 25, 2017, 08:22:27 am »
Villarreal second leg performance please. We were great that night chasing a 1-0 aggregate.

Offline Smurfite

• Main Stander
« Reply #234 on: January 25, 2017, 08:35:07 am »
Read that Joel Matip is set to make his return to for the semi second leg... Great news!!
But he was injured for six weeks, and Im not sure a heavy 90 minutes will be tasked to him.

He did 60 mins at Prenton Park with the U23s on Sunday. He looked fine then and looked like he could easily have kept going the whole game. I reckon he'll be fine if he starts.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #235 on: January 25, 2017, 08:36:30 am »
With virgil Van Dijk out for 3 months I am slightly more confident we will win this.  Best player on the park in the last game,  will be a long night for their young center back.

Especially because he absolutely bossed their defence and Sturridge didn't get a sniff. With Van Dijk and Fonté gone, Southampton will play Maya Yoshida and ...? I think our chances of going through have improved significantly by Van Dijk's injury.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Smurfite

• Main Stander
« Reply #236 on: January 25, 2017, 08:39:46 am »
Are we welcoming the coach?

Yeah there is. It's done the rounds on twitter and theres gonna be a fair few people who turn up to do it. I know some people don't reckon its that big a game (I dissagree with that myself) but there is gonna be something. I reckon everyone who can, needs to get down there cos the worst thing would be if we tried it and it was shit.

It's happening, so get down there and support the lads.

https://twitter.com/WeRLFC/status/822550136308039680

Online Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2017, 08:54:15 am »
Can see a lot of goals tonight because I can't see us keeping a clean sheet.

3-1 reds

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2017, 09:00:13 am »
We need a big atmosphere tonight

we need to bounce back. start it tonight!

treat it like a european night

TEAR INTO THEM

Frighten the bejesus out of them and that kid stephens

they are coming into this thinking now
"van dijk is out"
"we always fuck up semis"

WELL LETS FUCK IT UP EVEN MORE FOR THEM

CMON RED MEN
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:40 am »
We need a big atmosphere tonight

we need to bounce back. start it tonight!

treat it like a european night

TEAR INTO THEM

Frighten the bejesus out of them and that kid stephens

they are coming into this thinking now
"van dijk is out"
"we always fuck up semis"

WELL LETS FUCK IT UP EVEN MORE FOR THEM

CMON RED MEN

Absofuckinglutely. We have been the most entertaining team bar none this season. The team has had us right up for it.  We aint been great lately and that's been reflected in the atmosphere I feel. What a chance to get the oomph back. Coutinho signing that deal miht just be a wee spark to step it up again