Author Topic: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')  (Read 31854 times)

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
Re: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:57 pm »
The Can and Sturridge threads have been locked! Says it all really

A second leg at anfield...can't wait still! We can have these, I'll be shouting my head off in support for the players on the pitch!

Everyone deserves a bit of a moan though in these threads to vent their frustrations

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:00 pm »
Squads paper thin and we get too many injuries to get away with it.

Mental if we don't sign a winger and a centre half if both Sakho and Lucas leave, but these are just empty words because we all know we won't.

Sort of agree.

I admired Klopp's conscious decision to keep a small squad this season. It made sense. He was very anxious not to write certain players off, and give them a proper chance.

In the event, some of those players have been found out. Chief among these is Can. I'm hoping it's a serious lack of form - he certainly doesn't lack effort. But tonight he was very poor.

In any event that was a lucky escape. Nathan Redmond admitted afterwards that he's never worked harder in a game. For the first time this season we were second - to everything. Headers, tackles, 50/50s. The Saints team were far and away the hungrier team on that pitch. And they deserved their win.

We were lacking in every department. We looked like a team lacking energy. Which in January, given Klopp's regime and philosophy, is worrying in the extreme.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:16 pm »
Can people stop saying it feels like a win, it doesn't.

Have people been saying that?

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:21 pm »
What has happened in your life re Germany mate? All I've ever seen you post is Karius and Can criticism, nothing else on any other player ever!
Like I told you the other day read my posts I pass an opinion on any player. It is obvious you have it in for me do me a favour please.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:06:40 pm by gatcliffe »
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:29 pm »
Not a disastrous result in itself, but what's really worrying is that our performances are getting worse and worse. Can't remember the last time we actually played really well. We showed resilience against Everton and Man City, but when was the last really good performance where we played with energy, dominated and created chances?

The Middlesbrough game is the last game when we really dominated & were at the peak of our powers. Been a while now worryingly.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:00 pm »
Sorry mate, you're probably in the minority there.
But not wrong

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:06 pm »
What a drap game of football.

No energy. Slow transition play.
What's happened to the press?
No creativity.
This after a week off.
Very disappointing.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:11 pm »
We have been quite the same since we switched Firmino out of the middle. Put him back in the centre with Coutinho on his left and whoever on the right.

No player deserves any credit tonight but I thought Lucas and Can were shockingly bad.

Not even our goalkeeper who kept who in this game overall?  :o
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:14 pm »
Two banks of five at Anfield in two weeks?

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:17 pm »
Fairly shit performance. Only half time so who gives a fuck.

The big game is on Sunday. I'd have thought we'd have brought a few players in by now with our obvious shortcomings in the squad. If the suits are struggling yet again to bring players in, give the checkbook to the football people and we'll have all the players we need in by the weekend.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:24 pm »
Miller struggles under pressure as well, I'm surprised more teams haven't targeted him.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:59 pm »
Up there with our worse performance this season. The only positive was Karius. Play like this on Sunday and we'll get our pants pulled down and done from the back even though the Mancs are nothing special.

The fact we ended the game with can and Lucas still on the pitch and we still kept giving away so many chances.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:08 pm »
Are our players feeling fatigued after an intense first 5 months of the season without much rotation? Or is it just a psychological thing? I am honestly starting to wonder.

It was pretty obvious tonight that our players weren't focused. Like they already had one eye on the Sunday game against the Mancs. That is pretty worrying. Winning teams don't care who the opponent is. They simply do the job and win. We are still not that team. Hopefully, Klopp will sign someone in January, to increase the competition for places and give a kick in the backside to some of our "stars".

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:13 pm »
I just got in the door from work

What happened with Sturridge?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:24 pm »
How did they park the bus?
They played 6-3-1 for most of the match. They were very good at finding the 1 to hold the ball up and run nice transition/counters.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:25 pm »
But not wrong

Matter of opinion. As poor as the rest imo.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:29 pm »
Miller struggles under pressure as well, I'm surprised more teams haven't targeted him.

City tried and give up after 10mins as they were getting nothing. You are an odd one. You go mental if I call Boro or someone shit in the general forum yet in here hammer everyone of our players and write off our top 4 hopes every 2 seconds. Strange old world!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:40 pm »
What a drap game of football.

Is that between drab and crap?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2017, 10:06:02 pm »
I just got in the door from work

What happened with Sturridge?

Fined for littering

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2017, 10:06:08 pm »
Are our players feeling fatigued after an intense first 5 months of the season without much rotation? Or is it just a psychological thing? I am honestly starting to wonder.

It looks like fatigue to me. i don't think we can maintain what we do on the pitch without rotation, Klopp is used to a winter break too. We desperately need to sign some good players to help the squad or i can see it being a very tough rest of the season.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2017, 10:06:18 pm »
Poor performance by everyone. Just one of those to write off.

We will batter them in the 2nd leg, no problem.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2017, 10:06:23 pm »
My first post.

The lack of cutting edge reminded me the year when we sold Suarez. Nothing clicks.  It is just amazing how the loss of Coutinho and Henderson affects the form of all players. There were no mazy runs from midfielders that were so synonymous with our early form. Can and Sturridge were so static and that prevented Lallana from working his magic. Our play became a game of sideways meaningless passes it was so predictable. Why was Can doing just making short passes to Coutinho and then stood his ground? That really got my blood boiling.

The last few matches has really highlighted the short-comings of our squad depth. We are just not ready to play 2 matches in a week with this squad. I have no doubt that we have the best 11 when everyone is fit but we won't be able to cope next season when we play midweek games in Europe.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:30 pm »
They played 6-3-1 for most of the match. They were very good at finding the 1 to hold the ball up and run nice transition/counters.

they played well. out thought us, out fought us and deserved to win by 3 or 4...

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:46 pm »
The only posotiveus we see a reaction on Sunday
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:47 pm »
A shocking 2nd half and the only 2 positives were Karius and tge fact we are still only 1 goal down. 3rd straight poor performance since the City game and whats worse is that we have not improved we just dont seem to be playing our game.

Soton outpressed us and broke at speed, we really didnt know what to do and kept giving the ball away cheaply. Not sure how we will approach Sunday but everyone seems to have lost their positioning and strategy.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:48 pm »
Two banks of five at Anfield in two weeks?

Probably which should make it an easy night if we're patient and prepare a plan for it. If weveryone continue with this minimum 10 passes before we cross the halfway line and try to pass through the middle of them then we likely struggle again.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:49 pm »
Didn't want it enough, didn't ever really look threatening.

Coutinho looked head and shoulders above every player tonight when he came on

Still think we will do them at Anfield.

If we turn up and play like that Sunday we'll get murdered.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:03 pm »
Not sure why Lucas is getting such a hard time? I felt his passing was actually the most ambitious out of the three in midfield, especially in first half and he also made some important interceptions.

Gini on the other hand was really poor in possession, which is very unlike him. Emre's second touch was usually a tackle and even when he had space he was so ponderous on the ball he made Trigger look sharp. Lallana couldn't seem to get hold of the ball between his feet like he usually does and looked clumsy in possession.

Contrary to belief, Bobby and Sturridge worked very hard to move off the ball but often their runs were ignored and the ball passed sideways. The midfield lacked bollocks today and we looked more concerned with keeping the ball than playing it forward most the time.

On the plus side, Phil is back and we looked better with him in the side, and Karius was excellent.

PS: We will beat United this weekend and get to the final after the return leg of this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:09:51 pm by -Daws- »
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:06 pm »
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:07 pm »
Hopefully they'll regret those chances they missed in a couple of weeks.

Not on our game tonight. Roll on Sunday!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:09 pm »
forget about winning anything with Can and Lucas together in midfield. absolutely abysmal

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:43 pm »
It was pretty obvious tonight that our players weren't focused. Like they already had one eye on the Sunday game against the Mancs. That is pretty worrying. Winning teams don't care who the opponent is. They simply do the job and win. We are still not that team. Hopefully, Klopp will sign someone in January, to increase the competition for places and give a kick in the backside to some of our "stars".

It looks like fatigue to me. i don't think we can maintain what we do on the pitch without rotation, Klopp is used to a winter break too. We desperately need to sign some good players to help the squad or i can see it being a very tough rest of the season.

I think it's a bit of both. We are tired physically, which means we are less focused. A fresh body is just as important as a fresh mind. Agreed that we need some fresh blood.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:47 pm »
Not too bothered about today's result. But last few games have kinda left me dreading Sunday  :-\

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:16 pm »
they played well. out thought us, out fought us and deserved to win by 3 or 4...

Nah, we were just really shit and the usual scapegoats were shit and Klopp was shit, everything is just shit right now. /s

Southampton did well, and it's not like they're divisions below us. We're still very much in this tie.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:20 pm »
We struggle against sides that sit deep and refuse to give us any space. Hopefully with Coutinho now back, we'll rediscover that cutting edge.

Lucas and Can weren't up to it. We badly missed Henderson there tonight.

Ah, fuck it, it's one goal. We can easily pull that back at Anfield. I'm more concerned about the performance than the result.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:25 pm »
What a crap game. Southampton did a number on us tactically. Closed down the width our full backs usually give and Klopp took way too long to change it. The only players who had a decent performance were Karius and Lucas. Everybody else had a worse game than their opposite number. Can was diabolical in that second half - worst I've seen a Liverpool player play in some time. Sturridge is too selfish to play in a Klopp team. He not only doesn't support on attack or hold the ball up for half a second (think about it, did he even win 1 duel?) but when we are pressing instead of supporting Firmino, Lallana, etc, on the press...he is always gambling for the pass back so he can intercept it and score. It did my fucking head in.

The only silver lining is that it is only 1-0.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:38 pm »
Matter of opinion. As poor as the rest imo.
Not really poor. (the result was...)
Firmino, Lucas, Lallana, Wiijnaldum, Lovren, Clyne, Karius, Milner and Klavan (apart from the mistake) all played well or at least ok.

We were toothless and somewhat unbalanced. That doesn't happen in the return leg.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:49 pm »
A rusty Phil with a couple of 'hope' shots..... still looked a different class.

Enjoy him while we can, he is way too good this lot.

Maybe a Chinese punter will buy the club...Yuan never walk alone...otherwise same old shite
Hahaha fucking hell give over you clown.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:55 pm »
The fact they had 5 clear cut goalscoring opportunities doesn't worry you?!
The fact they only scored one, meaning we are only 1-0 down at the halfway point with the home leg to come, is the reason I'm not worried.

Coutinho back too, so yay :)

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2017, 10:10:58 pm »
Not too bothered about today's result. But last few games have kinda left me dreading Sunday  :-\

Not too bothered about today's result? Fucking oddball. 😕
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.