Author Topic: Scouse recipes.  (Read 44194 times)

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
Re: Scouse recipes.
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2008, 04:30:14 pm »
What is it with you?  First we move to an amicable agreement over cats and now you want to start an unfortunate exchange over peas.  Do you have a burning desire to bring untold wroth upon you.  Or are you possessed by demons? 

lol honestly Maggie, scouse is made with peas.  Thats how my Nan/Mother/Gran used to make it.  Its got peas in it.

Have even been stupid enough to buy scouse as a meal from a local chippy and that had peas in it too.  It also probably had botulism in it but that's my own fault from buying something edible out of a chippy in Kirkby.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2008, 04:44:19 pm »
lol honestly Maggie, scouse is made with peas.  Thats how my Nan/Mother/Gran used to make it.  Its got peas in it.

NO.  That is not so.  Look mate.  Your mother may well have been corrupted and misled into this peas business.  Fair enough.  It was likely not her fault.   But I am well old enough to be your Nan, and there was no fucking way Nans put peas into scouse. 

I shall have to consult with Danny Boy's Dad about this terrible abomination.   

Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2008, 12:05:54 pm »
I shall have to consult with Danny Boy's Dad about this terrible abomination.   

Peas don't belong in scouse. I have had scouse with peas in, at a do I went to last year. Tasted strange. They used new potatoes with their skins on as well.

I just use beef, potatoes, onions and carrots, no need for anything else.
Legacy fan

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2008, 01:17:18 pm »
Beef?

Beef isn't Scouse.

Offline LeHurricane

• Kemlynite
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2008, 02:01:56 pm »
got a big pot bubbling away right now, it's half beef half lamb and not a pea in sight.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
Beef?

Beef isn't Scouse.

Have you seen the price of lamb? They'll have beef and like it, which they do.

Legacy fan

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2008, 03:38:24 pm »
got a big pot bubbling away right now, it's half beef half lamb and not a pea in sight.

So have I - and no peas here either
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2008, 10:07:55 am »

Have even been stupid enough to buy scouse as a meal from a local chippy and that had peas in it too.  It also probably had botulism in it but that's my own fault from buying something edible out of a chippy in Kirkby.

You can actually buy something edible out of a chippy in Kirkby?   :o  That's one for the record books. 

Peas don't belong in scouse. I have had scouse with peas in, at a do I went to last year. Tasted strange. They used new potatoes with their skins on as well.

I just use beef, potatoes, onions and carrots, no need for anything else.

So have I - and no peas here either

The oracles have spoken.  You must henceforth and immediately renounce peas in scouse or suffer the terrible punishment and lingering pain reserved specifically for heretics.  It gives me no pleasure to say this, but it is for your own good. 

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline kingjari

• But you can call me Off the Pitch. Or donut.
  • Legacy Fan
  • It is our RIGHT, our DUTY to throw off such owners
« Reply #48 on: April 2, 2008, 02:18:16 am »
I'm a chef and a taff, we have our own version of scouse called Lobsgows: it contains Lamb(welsh obviously)  but sometimes mutton, stock, spuds, onion, carrots, swede (optional) and seasoning. and NO PEAS thats just odd !!

and it's fuckin lovely. mine's even better than me mam's  ;D
SIR Bill Shankly:
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Con el Socio, todo ; sin el socio, nada

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html-  join online

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #49 on: April 3, 2008, 08:41:43 pm »
Lamb, onion, spuds, carrots and stock. Anything else is just stew.
 ;D

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 3, 2008, 11:56:02 pm »
 ;D

Amen.

Offline sak0101

• Kemlynite
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2008, 05:52:33 pm »
I keep trying different things when I'm making scouse and I haven't poisoned anybody yet. My latest was adding leeks to it and it turned out fine.

Does anybody know of anywhere in Liverpool that you can go in and get scouse cause I've only ever found one place but can't remember now where that was !!
His Armband Proved He Was A Red, Torres, Torres !!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2008, 10:20:56 pm »

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2008, 06:41:51 pm »
 ;D

Scouse was supposed to be a meal made using the cheapest most basic ingredients, using lamb makes it an expensive.

Scouse with lamb is just wrong at today's prices.
Legacy fan

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2008, 08:35:07 pm »
Scouse has always been a dish to be made with whatever comes to hand vegetable-wise. Celery, leeks etc are all quite common variants, and I've had it with both before. My mum normally does it with spuds, carrots, swede and onions, but I am an advocate of basically sticking whatever veggies you've got in it.

My mum's tip is always to stick some mince in there as well as the stewing steak, as this helps to get a thicker stew going. I guess everybody has a reason to love their mum's scouse best!
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2008, 08:36:41 pm »
 ;D

You're eating Lancashire Hotpot, I'm afraid. Scouse MUST contain stewing steak.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2008, 08:38:26 pm »
Beef?

Beef isn't Scouse.

Yes it is. It's supposed to be half and half.

Personally, I'm not a lamb fan, so I just have it with beef.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2008, 08:51:12 pm »
Then YOU are eating Lancashire hotpot.

:D

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2008, 08:58:57 pm »
Then YOU are eating Lancashire hotpot.

:D

Hotpot is ALWAYS neck of lamb.

Offline sak0101

• Kemlynite
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2008, 07:23:46 pm »
£10.95 !!! I'd like a bucket of it for that price!!
His Armband Proved He Was A Red, Torres, Torres !!

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:20 pm »
Hotpot is ALWAYS neck of lamb.

Scouse is any cheap lamb.

Hotpot is an entirely different thing. Hotpot is layers of meat potatos & carrots cooked in the oven.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2008, 11:36:42 pm »
Scouse is any cheap lamb.

No such thing as cheap lamb anymore.
Legacy fan

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2008, 11:40:52 pm »
Is right.

Annie, if you don't stick beef in your scouse as well as lamb, then what is the difference between that and irish stew?

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2008, 10:51:20 am »
Is right.

Annie, if you don't stick beef in your scouse as well as lamb, then what is the difference between that and irish stew?

we cook our Irish stew in the oven ( unlike scouse which we do on the top ) and use some Pearl Barley to add a little something - where as with scouse it's the starch in the spuds that give the unctuousness ( as nigela would say )

I agree scouse is a much better dish with beef and lamb. ( although we have blind scouse  now and again and it is surprisingly good).

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2008, 01:05:09 pm »
we cook our Irish stew in the oven ( unlike scouse which we do on the top ) and use some Pearl Barley to add a little something - where as with scouse it's the starch in the spuds that give the unctuousness ( as nigela would say )

I agree scouse is a much better dish with beef and lamb. ( although we have blind scouse  now and again and it is surprisingly good).

Every time I buy the stuff for the scouse I go and have a look at the lamb but I just can't get my head round paying that much for it. Not when I can get really nice lean stewing steak for half the price.

My nan (from Wicklow I think) used to put barley in her stew, absolutely lovely it was. She used to put whole onions in as well.

I might start putting whole onions in my scouse, those little ones about the size of tomatoes. It would be a pain to peel them all but I think it would be nice.
Legacy fan

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2008, 01:31:05 pm »
No such thing as cheap lamb anymore.

Well that depends how bad your driving is and how good you are at skinning them..........

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2008, 01:44:04 pm »
I Cook it over night in a slow cooker then add brown sauce to it to eat.

i sometimes add sweed or Turnip, basically whatever root vedgtable is at hand.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Offline TonyTheRed

• NosedReindeer has a very qwertycock....
  • Legacy Fan
  • I've got a little black book with my poems in
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2008, 01:57:08 pm »
Scouse = Lamb, onion, spuds, carrots and stock. The longer you leave it, the better it gets.
No lamb = Blind Scouse

There is only one way to eat Scouse - pour onto plate/large bowl and serve with beetroot & brown sauce. Crusty bread is optional - that is all

Leeks and peas my fuckin' arse. You ever heard the likes? Fuckin' wools  ;D
like one day u will find out im not female :)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2008, 10:34:14 am »
I might start putting whole onions in my scouse, those little ones about the size of tomatoes. It would be a pain to peel them all but I think it would be nice.

I cannot belieeeeeeeve you've just said that.  Defiler.  Have you run mad?

Oooooh.  Little dinky whole onions.  Oooooooh.  How twee.  Ooooooooh.  They're "a pain to peel".  Well I'm sure there's a ladyboy gadget you can buy from Lakeland Plastics so you don't soil your delicate lilywhite hands - oh hang on - they're far too grand these days and have banned the common word "plastic" - now they're "Lakeland Limited" aren't they?  Pretentious poofs.

The old ways are assailed from all sides.  But I never thought that you .......  Dinky onions in scouse.  Whoever imagined such a dark day would come.  This is Armaggeddon.  The end of civilisation as we know it.  Oh woe.  And thrice woe........   

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2008, 11:02:23 am »
I cannot belieeeeeeeve you've just said that.  Defiler.  Have you run mad?

Oooooh.  Little dinky whole onions.  Oooooooh.  How twee.  Ooooooooh.  They're "a pain to peel".  Well I'm sure there's a ladyboy gadget you can buy from Lakeland Plastics so you don't soil your delicate lilywhite hands - oh hang on - they're far too grand these days and have banned the common word "plastic" - now they're "Lakeland Limited" aren't they?  Pretentious poofs.

The old ways are assailed from all sides.  But I never thought that you .......  Dinky onions in scouse.  Whoever imagined such a dark day would come.  This is Armaggeddon.  The end of civilisation as we know it.  Oh woe.  And thrice woe........  

I've been thinking of putting beer or red wine in it too. End of season this saturday so I think I might do something a bit different.
Legacy fan

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2008, 12:45:21 pm »
I've been thinking of putting beer or red wine in it too. End of season this saturday so I think I might do something a bit different.

Oh well that just tears it.  The barbarians have got thorough the gate.  And all is lost.

I thought something strange was going on this morning when I put the suitably sorted rubbish out (sturdy black plastic sacks (provided by me at my own personal expense I may add) and those shitty pink things provided by the council), there was this skinny horse munching on my fuchsias if you please.  "Oi you.  Bollix"  Says I to the rider.  "Get your nag the fuck off.  And try feeding the poor bleeder while you're at it."

"We are Plague, Pestilence and Death" says he.  "Oh.  And I'm Famine - as well - sorry - forgot about that". 

"Gerraway" says I.  And "Erm.  What's with the "we" business then on account of there's only one of you?" says I again. 

"Well we all set off together at Ealing but got split up.  That tube's a fucking nightmare in the morning."

"Tell me about it son.  Come and have a cuppa tea.  Kathy'll take care of the horse.  And a few bacon butties for you I think.  You need fattening up.  Look at you, not a pick on you. "

"Oh cheers Mags.  Erm.  Could I have some eggs with that?"  "And extra sugar in the tea?"

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 09:35:20 pm »
Is right.

Scouse isn't thickened with  a roux making it like a proper brown gravy. Irish stew is & cooked in the oven.

Scouse is thickened by the spuds.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2008, 06:37:10 am »
Irish stew is & cooked in the oven.

My mother in law doesn't cook it in the oven  ???
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 10:09:03 am »
Irish stew isn't cooked in the oven, hotpot is cooked in the oven because it's got layer of sliced potato on the top and you need to get them crispy.

What's a "roux"?
Legacy fan

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 12:39:35 pm »
Irish stew isn't cooked in the oven, hotpot is cooked in the oven because it's got layer of sliced potato on the top and you need to get them crispy.

What's a "roux"?

Is not a rue?

I have just been whoosed havent I :P

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 02:06:38 pm »
Is not a rue?

I have just been whoosed havent I :P

Ahem.  You'll rue the day you posted that Lo.   ;D

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 11:20:58 pm »
oh dear oh dear oh dear!!!!

a roux is fat & flour which is what thickens stock to make lovely lovely gravy!!

Always ready to instruct!!!!

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 11:22:03 pm »
my irish stew is cooked in the oven

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2008, 06:31:46 pm »

me too, nigella's recipe

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2008, 10:22:27 pm »

me too, nigella's recipe

Like that phoney fat twat would know about Irish stew ......   ::)