Author Topic: Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz - 17 goals & X assists worth of 'I told you so'  (Read 728665 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Luis Suarez - my flawed hero
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:48 pm »
Flawed Hero is spot on for the lad, you take one side you get the other as part of the glorious package
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:11 pm »
there are lots of players playing at the same level as suarez without this much baggage.

name names
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 09:25:59 pm »
There`s no need to get rid of Luis. Get him a head doctor to help him tone it down a peg or two with the added bonus of keeping the lunatic coming.

He`s an insane genius and our best player who would walk into any team on the planet. Love the lad.

Offline Tasunke Witko

• Boys Pen
  • As Emlyn Hughes lifts the European cup
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 09:53:36 pm »
The opening post sums it up, spot on Aristotle you know your stuff,

let he who has never sinned cast the first stone.
Tommy Smith rises above the monchengladbach defence to power an unstoppable header into the back of the net, no more than Liverpool deserve it has to be said now all around is red.

(Tasunke Witko) Lakota Sioux for crazy Horse

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 09:58:59 pm »
The weird thing about it for me is that Ivanovic wasn't really doing anything to him at the time, fair tackle ,no over man-handling by him , so not quite sure why that incident set him off ?
With regards to Luis ,yes I was pissed off he did it and still am a bit, but sell him because of it ....no fucking chance. I'd take his flaws all day long to keep his footballing genius at the club, simple as that really

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 10:00:26 pm »
He made a bad mistake, we know that, but if you asked me if I'd take that aggression away from him I'd say no a thousand times.

The guy is my personal favorite at the moment because of that passion he has, I haven't seen a single player in the prem who plays anywhere near the intensity the he exerts, with the passion that he bears on his sleeve for all to see. I am proud to have him playing for my club and will be for the entire time he is here.

Luis fucking Suarez in the famous red. I really cannot get enough.

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 10:11:53 pm »
Luis fucking Suarez in the famous red.

I like this middle name.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 10:27:54 pm »
I've stuck with Luis too much to throw him overboard now. The shit we have stuck with Luis through is the same shit that made him bite Ivanovic. I would feel hypocritical for drawing an imaginary line over something so daft as a nibble on an arm. It's disgusting and inexcusable but I have seen people accuse him of trying to deliberately injure players - that's much worse - I said "no - Luis plays on the edge, always harassing players, he is a winner". When he has been accused of diving, it's been the same "perhaps he goes down too easily sometimes - he plays on the edge, he wants to win".

For me to just say 'that's enough', I couldn't. Just could not. Ajax fans still adore him, despite him leaving on the back of biting someone, and despite him LEAVING. I will not be made to feel bad for still thinking as long as he has a contract here, I want him to complete it.

As long as he is having plenty more moments of genius than moments of madness  (and that's what it was a moment of madness, not a moment of pure evil, just a moment of immense silliness) quite simply I will accept him. He has to play for someone, and I would much rather he plays for us than anyone else. No?

Offline Supersuarez7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »
Not for me matey, not for me. I'll admit I had a chuckle to myself, but probably like Luis' mouth, I was left with a bad taste. I simply can't and won't condone what he did, the same if it was a two footed tackle etc etc. However beyond that, I will defend and support him as long as he's a Liverpool player. I take you back to the We're All Hypocrites thread I wrote years ago. If he'd been a Chelsea player or anyone else for that matter, we'd be up in arms. But he's not, and he's a brilliant player and he's giving his heart out for us. So in this case, these things aren't mitigation for what he did, but good enough reasons (if any true red needed more than the simple fact that's he's a Liverpool player) to support him and back him and protect him from the over hyped bellicose hypocrites that call themselved the media.

This.

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 10:43:44 pm »
Still a hero to my 7 year old son....

@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2013, 10:56:28 pm »
Can't defend the bite, but I think we can use it in a positive way. See the humour in it, rather than go nuts with the pitchforks. He is the bright light at the club, the one player who gives me some hope that we can actually battle for honours some time soon again. So what to do?

We could have a song a la 'Breakfast Ivanovic' or 'Luis Suarez, he's hungry for more' or 'Another one bites the Serb'. Anything to take the edge of this madness. No need to find excuses. Just have a laugh. It's the only way we can win this one.

I really feel we have an almost unique opportunity here. We have a great player and we 'just' need to direct his genious. If we can do that, he may be ours for life and he can become a real legend.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline masterbaker

• kneads a good rise.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 12:21:52 am »
agree with everything but he's not flawed, he's ours and yes he wants to win at any cost. if there is one flaw he wants it too much. i'd love another 10 like that in the side!
fuck, i'd like another 10 like him just working at the club!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:40:54 am by masterbaker »

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 12:31:48 am »
Luis Suarez is the Andy Kaufman of football. Most people don't get him but those that do, they love him

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 03:53:51 am »
I bloody love Suarez. The bite..to me was hilarious-only drag is the ban attached to it. Football is entertainment people, get off your high horses. Life's to short for righteous indignation from the chattering classless (see what I did there?).

He should get a 3 game "rest" as far as I'm concerned. The last guy that bit someone in the premier league got 1/5 of a 1 game suspension for it. Zenophobic British bollocky righteous lice the FA will certainly want to make an example but I'd love to see their lives from 27 angles-all the affairs, tax cheating and whatever other "indiscretions" they indulge....
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 08:35:08 am »
The issue of affairs and dogs who don't pay tax isn't actually relevant, here. They don't fall within the FA's remit. Though you'd have to say the FA has a distaste for those who indulge because it was well-known the FA were never keen on Capello's choice of Terry as captain, even before the Ferdinand incident. They found him sleazy; the men in suits always preferred Gerrard.
I am at a loss to understand how the FA justify banning Suarez for the same or likely more than they banned John Terry for racism. One causes a day or two's worth of bruise on one individual and has absolutely no impact on his psyche, his career, or even his ability to play the next match. The other is an invidious cancer within the fabric of our society.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:38:14 am by No666 »

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 09:03:01 am »
Any condemnation of the bite that comes with a 'but' is nonsense. There is no but, it was fucking stupid and the punishment should be taken with grace. It's crazy to see the obfuscation, the sidetracks and excuses offered for him. He's reckless, he's a great player but he's reckless. He has made strides this season, less diving, less backchat to the ref but there's obviously room for a lot more. No ifs or buts, that has to happen.

There is no denying the FA are incoherent on punishment, they seem to make it up as they go along. But that's ultimately a separate matter to be argued over separately, it can't be used to mitigate Suarez' action and I've seen that happen countless times on here.

Offline Aaron Rattray1

• Almost a new record in rEceiving the pOsting bEfore tHinking aWard. needs to get a shift on.
  • Anny Roader
  • Grimsby town and Liverpool fan
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 09:03:16 am »
He did wrong but he apologized

Offline Mystri

• Kemlynite
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 09:11:52 am »
Just need to calm the storm, then get back to the football next season.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 10:41:20 am »
You can stick yer hopeless FA up yer arse
You can stick yer Media shitstorm up yer arse
You can stick yer bandwagon jumping
Yer xenophobic mouthing
You can stick yer faux outrage up yer arse .... SIDEWAYS!

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 11:10:14 am »
My missus pissed herself when she finally saw it.
After all the furore she was expecting claret and gore everywhere.

I'm not excusing him. It was stupid and he deserves a ban. Anything longer than 3 games is a witch hunt (again) though and another example of the FA's disdain and dislike of our club.

And it was fucking funny! Like a jack russel with pigs ear

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 01:17:01 pm »
If it's longer than 4 games we should loan him to Tranmere for a week or two at the start of the season :)
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »
If it's longer than 4 games we should loan him to Tranmere for a week or two at the start of the season :)

Oh my god can you imagine....simply brilliant.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 02:05:34 pm »

ha ha... ;D
Meanwhile lets try and keep this thread alive and not a repetition of the locked FA Charge Thread ta :wave
Yep.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 02:10:03 pm »
Luis Suarez is the Andy Kaufman of football. Most people don't get him but those that do, they love him

Now there is a signature if ever I saw one, do you mind if I steal it?

Offline Urugol

• Kemlynite
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
I agree with the OP, there is no player in our team or in any team I have watched for that matter that compares with Luis' will to win.  The only thing I can liken it to is a fighter that keeps getting up when knocked down he won't be beaten, he refuses to be beaten and does not stop believing from the first minute to possibly well after the final whistle.  I love the guy, he did the wrong thing maybe his wires got too crossed who knows.  He apologized I believe it to be genuine, he just can't control his emotions at times I get that.  What we need to realize is that we have an absolute gem on our hands, and if we can use whatever resources necessary to help him channel those feelings on the pitch into what he can already do with his feet then we have a world beater on our hands.  We cannot replace a player like this, we have to help him overcome whatever it is that makes him snap without affecting his drive.  Just like the club would help a problem drinker or gambler, we gotta help Luis identify the signs that he is about to go "thermo nuclear" and turn it into something positive.  Most exciting player in the world for mine, no one else stirs the passions like him!!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 02:45:56 pm »
Zinedine Zidane, one of the greatest of all time, chose the biggest stage a player can play on in his final game as a footballer to pull an absolute brainfart of a rabbit from his hat.

It happens. We all do things we regret the second after we've done it, its human nature.

Luis is ridiculous. We either accept his baggage, or we don't. If we don't, we lose easily our best player and easily one of the best in the world. Incidentally, do people really think we'd have got him for £22 million if he wasn't a bit of a nutcase?

I don't think its a will to win, I think he's been bought up on street football where anything goes. I don't just love him because he 'gets it' and clearly loves the club, the fans and the city. I love him because everyone else hates him.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2013, 02:48:57 pm »
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez - an ideal pantomime villain for the age of outrage

The nation is not so consumed by apocalyptic horror at his bite as we'd like to think

Ian Herbert

Just follow the headlines for a real sense of how the nation feels about Luis Suarez. "Same old Suarez, always eating!" "Gnash of the Day". The Sun were more than matched by The Guardian's rather good "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves?" before our "Morning after the bite before". The tone pretty much reflects the tenor of Twitter since Suarez got his teeth into Branislav Ivanovic's shirt – though possibly not into his skin, because that's not been broken, but that's another story.

There's been a #suarezhungry hashtag on Twitter, and a few "Best Luis Suarez bites Ivanovic" on some of those football-themed website repositories. "Eat Ivanovic then ask for Cech" and "All Bran(ovic)". Nice. Even Patrice Evra joined the party with an inflatable arm that he bit into at Old Trafford on Monday.

All of which tells you that the nation is not quite so consumed by apocalyptic horror about all this as we'd like to think. Horror is a sensation provoked by replaying the Roy Keane "tackle" on Alf-Inge Haaland in 1997 and no one was suggesting that he should have played his last game for Manchester United. Let's be honest – this is not so much collective horror as a vicarious pleasure in a perfectly formed pantomime plot, with a clearly defined villain.

Outrage is great for filling up the vast black holes of space in the rolling news era. We're in an age of national outrage, when one footballer can feel another one make to bite him and find police officers waiting for him to disembark from a coach in the middle of the Surrey night, to check his skin for marks. There were none, actually. Suarez did not break the Chelsea defender's skin and we can take Merseyside Police's word for this.

Ivanovic had "no apparent physical injuries", they said in a statement on Monday. What have we actually seen, then? Something encapsulated by Alan Smith's remarks on the Sky Sports commentary: "He must have sunk his teeth in there I think. That's what it looks like. Oh my word." And that really was the most Smith could have said, because the only evidence we have is 44 seconds of inconclusive footage, followed by Ivanovic pointing to his arm.

The Football Association said in its own statement a few hours after Merseyside Police's that "the standard punishment of three matches that would otherwise apply is clearly insufficient in these circumstances". Simply to make to bite someone is disgraceful and today's FA three-man independent regulatory commission must act swiftly and comprehensively when they see today that Suarez has. But "clearly insufficient" in what way? On the basis of a case which is not exactly overwhelmed with evidence, the FA seems to have made its minds up already. The governing body has issued a statement that prejudices the outcome of the tribunal, having ensured, to the point of extreme and understandable secrecy, that last year's tribunal governing Suarez's racist abuse of Patrice Evra was not similarly prejudiced.

It's a cultural thing that has helped inflate this perfect storm. The English football spirit tells us that our national game is a physical game and that to stamp is lower down the scale of the intolerable than the spiteful act of biting or spitting. It's a media thing. Biting is new. It's news, in a way that England hooker Dylan Hartley biting the finger of Ireland's Stephen Ferris last March was not. (A decade has passed since Aussie rules player Peter Filandia's 10-game suspension for biting an opponent's testicles during a game, so don't let's conjure the thought.) It's a Suarez thing. Any other player and it is only news for a few days.

The subplot that links Suarez with Mike Tyson, who we're told has started following the player on Twitter, really is the most incredible part of all. As if there is actually any parallel between Tyson chewing off part of Evander Holyfield's ear and Ivanovic feeling Suarez make to bite him. All part of the pantomime, as is the so-called involvement of "Number 10". David Cameron's spokesman has said: "It is rightly a matter for the football authorities to consider."

Scandal doesn't look like this. Scandal is a Crown Court judge, Lord Justice Stuart-Smith, meeting Hillsborough families whose case he was about to consider, in October 1997, and when some of the families did not turn up, making a joke about the Disaster. "Have you got a few of your people or are they like Liverpool fans, turning up at the last minute?" the judge asked Phil Hammond, who lost his 14-year-old son at Hillsborough. The day of reckoning for years of obfuscation, deceit and institutional failings will come a step nearer, with a preliminary inquest hearing in London tomorrow. You can bet the coverage won't hold a candle to the Suarez storm.

source

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2013, 02:51:53 pm »
Just calm yourselves, its not been announced anywhere yet.

too late...riots have started, windows are being shattered, vegans are being targeted :D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2013, 03:01:24 pm »
You know what? I think Ivanovic deserves some credit in this.

If I was playing and someone bit me, I'd fucking muller them. As would 90% of lads I've ever played with.

It's a disgraceful thing to do, in the same way that two-footing someone in the shin or elbowing them in the jaw is. He'll get his punishment, and rightly so. What the extent of it is, nobody knows - he's easy to make an example of, is Luis.

The club should see to it that he gets some professional help. He seems to struggle to see where the line between competetiveness and absurdity lies. It all goes a little blurry for him when he gets wound up. Many of the greatest are the same - Shearer was a dick half the time, you could faesibly spend an entire afternoon playing solely against Dennis Bergkamp's elbows, and Zidane... well, we all know what happened there.

If he could reign in that final 5%, it wouldn't take anything away from his game. He'd still be the best player in the league.

If we don't, there's always the risk that something bad - really bad - might happen in the heat of battle.

As a player, he's imperious. His desire and will to win is second to none. His self-control, however, clearly needs work. Nobody can try and find excuse for what he did there, the same way we would never excuse Roy Keane for his assault on Alfe-Inge Haaland, or Huth for stamping on whoever it is he's stamped on most recently. The other side of it that someone could very well go out with the sole intention of ending his career.

It needs to be dealt with.
Yes it does, but it's worth pointing out that, Unlike Keane or Huth, or countless others, Luis has no history of serious violent play on a football pitch. He has never been sent off in England, and almost all of his discplinary issues are for petulance.

That's what needs dealing with, not a violent streak. But also worth remembering, because, really, that's what this is - petulance, not violence.

Luis Suarez has never tried to finish someone's career, and, unless you had a serious communicable disease, you would struggle to even finish someone's match with a bite to the forearm. Comparing it to deliberately, and admittedly deliberately, trying to finish someone's career, and being successful at it, is utterly ludicrous and there is no way the ban should be anything close to the 8 matches (total) Keane was given.

It is bizarre, puerile and petulant, true. It is ugly and not a good advert for football, true. A ban, within the confines of the FA's own laws, taking into account precedent, previous non-violent character and guilty plea, is completely appropriate.

All I want is the punishment to fit the crime, not the reputation of the perpetrator.
That is all
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2013, 03:12:17 pm »
I swear to god if the club take this lying down I just might pack it in. Fucking disgusted.

Attempting to bite someone is worse than deliberately trying to end someones career with a two footed lunge, racially abusing someone, and god knows all the other shit footballers get up to both on and off the field is it? Ok then.

Staggered, and I demand the club actually show some balls, for once in the last 20 years, show some fucking balls, because I am not going to put up with gutless cowards running this club allowing this shit to go on, abso-fucking-lutely not.

Just to be clear, I am not saying he should have gotten away with it, I think 6-8 would have been about right, but 10 is just ludicrous, and highlights that the circus runs the show now, that reputation is given priority over evidence, and that they want this bloke gone. This is what football is about now ladies and gentlemen. Panto theatre.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2013, 04:20:35 pm »
He has been banned close to 20 matches so far, if you include suspensions.  That's half a season gone.  As good as he is, he really needs to grow up and stay out of trouble.  It's no use having one the best players on the planet when he is not in the squad half the season.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »
He has been banned close to 20 matches so far, if you include suspensions.  That's half a season gone.  As good as he is, he really needs to grow up and stay out of trouble.  It's no use having one the best players on the planet when he is not in the squad half the season.

That's over three seasons though isn't it?

Also not a red card in sight.....

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »
That's over three seasons though isn't it?

Also not a red card in sight.....
Does anyone else think that if Luis got a red card in a game, it would be a 18 game suspension?
The FA would probably give him 3 games for farting.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2013, 08:21:07 pm »
Now there is a signature if ever I saw one, do you mind if I steal it?

work away, I was just glad someone else got it ;)

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:44 pm »
Does anyone else think that if Luis got a red card in a game, it would be a 18 game suspension?
The FA would probably give him 3 games for farting.

Fuck knows what would happen if he was actually red carded. Banned for life? Deported with Abu Qatada at Camerons request?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2013, 08:27:05 pm »

I was tucking in my kid last night, he's eleven. We relived the day Suarez had and we both chuckled. He knows biting people is wrong, and he also knows Suarez is a little nuts but then he's entertaining. These ideas sit quite comfortably together in his head and in mine.
This is one of the most poignant statements I've read over the last few days about the incident.

I feel precisely the same with my 11-year old girl and would have done when my other girl and lad were 11 - I'd have had the exact same chuckle.

Good OP. Luis doesn't have to have brought any trophies to Anfield for me to elevate him to hero status, his efforts and determination to make us win are beyond anything most of the 100 or so players we've witness turned over in the last 10 years have done.

He remains my hero, he's not my reluctant hero at all, I love the man.

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2013, 12:57:31 am »

Are you having a fucking laugh? He's missed out 20 games or as you say, half a season. Yet since his debut he's played 96 games, featuring 13 times in his first season. For the ones signed in the summer of 2011 just deduct 13 games from the ones signed before that.

Let's put that "half a season gone" into perspective.*

Pepe Reina - First choice goalkeeper: 99 games
Steven Gerrard - Captain: 78 games
Jamie Carragher - Vice-captain: 82
Lucas Leiva - Midfield lynchpin: 60 games
Jose Enrique - First choice leftback: 74 games
Daniel Agger - First choice centerback: 76 games
Glen Johnson - First choice rightback: 81 games
Martin Skrtel - (former) First choice centerback: 92 games
Stewart Downing - First choice (?) winger: 87 games
Jordan Henderson - Enigma: 88 games

So out of all of those players only Pepe Reina has more games (3) and theoretically had they been available, Downing and Henderson could then have more. But of the players we have in our squad there is one. A single, motherfucking entity that has featured more than Luis Suarez, and he's a goalkeeper. When he has served his additional 10 (or less, depending on the astronomical chances of it being reduced) there can in theory be 4 players who have featured more than he has for Liverpool Football Club. Skrtel is most likely on his way out, so that leaves only Downing and Henderson, and they would have to play a minimum of 10 and 9 games respectively to surpass him.

Luis Suarez is a bloody crushing machine. Despite losing this dreadful "half a season" through suspension he has never missed a game through injury and never been dropped for playing bad. So if your argument is to get rid of players who have lost "half a season" you would have to go through a hell of a lot of names before you find yourself with Luis Suarez.

*games since Suarez made his debut against Stoke - appearance figures courtesy of LFChistory.net
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2013, 06:03:00 am »

work away, I was just glad someone else got it ;)

Cheers fella  :wave

Offline mingun119

• Kemlynite
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2013, 06:43:16 am »
Here is what I feel about Suarez right now. Is my head just messed up or what but for some reason, I've actually fallen in love with our Luis more after this incident. Is anybody with me here? Obviously it was the wrong thing to do and deserves to be punished. But for all the emotional roller coaster he's put himself and the supporters through in such short period of time by being the best, most passionate yet craziest and nastiest little fighter we've ever seen in a red shirt, revealing everything about himself on the football field, the genius, the devil. I don't think I've become so emotionally attached to a footballer before, even more so than Gerrard in the sense that we actually know who this guy is for real. Yes, he's crazy. Not just crazy but crazy genius who is so flawed and vulnerable to his own crazy passion that it is inevitable he will attract haters. yeh I probably would've hated him to death had he been playing for anyone else, and I'm biased and crazy myself to be liking this guy more after the biting, but i don't care; he's ours love every side of him. It's like a mother will never give up on her son no matter how messed up a criminal he turns out to be. He's made me blind; we all know he will be back stronger from this the kind of fighter he is. By then, it would be too late for the FA to realize the kind of monster they've created themselves. Can't wait!

Offline Aristotle

• is a bugger for the bottle. Apache tool wielder extraordinaire - especially in wardrobes. The 'Oral B' Specialist.....brushes his cavities vigorously outdoors.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Happiness depends upon ourselves
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2013, 11:48:39 pm »
RE: Suarez's booing tonight. Although an isolated incident perfectly sums up the attitude of the English game and why they will never succeed at any level other than selling their soul to the highest bidder.

Since the Euro 2000 just look at the polar opposites of England and Germany. In group A the English came 3rd with 3 points and the Germans dead last with a single point. At that point German football as a whole went through drastic change. They looked at themselves and saw they weren't good enough and took action to change that.

Since then the Germans have made it to the semi-finals at the 2002, 2006 & 2010 World Cup. And the semi-finals at the 2008 & 2012 Euros. That's 5/6 tournaments they've taken part in since then. They made it to the final in 2002 and 2008, for those of you at home keeping score.

The English have in their efforts to improve their game, from the grass roots to the first team in the same time period made it into an impressive 0/6. Regressed dramatically, employeed Roy Hodgson and Stuart Pearce to change their fortunes. Yet THESE people have the audacity to boo Luis Suarez at an event that claims to celebrate those who excel at the game.

Hardy fucking har har.
My twitter
If Harry can get Spurs to the CL 1/4 final then he could get England to the World Cup final.