Author Topic: The knife edge  (Read 10515 times)

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
Re: The knife edge
« Reply #80 on: January 3, 2011, 02:05:21 pm »
Do you honestly think there is even the tiniest possibility that Rafa would hand back his pay-off to get the job? I'm more likely to sprout wings, but if it happens I'll take it all back, and admit the man is a saint.

As for my 'anti-rafa agenda', that is pretty much true in rawk terms.  I don't think he is or was the second coming of Shankly, I don't even think he did much more than Houlier.

Appointing Roy was the fuckup.  If we had gone with someone like Pellegrini in the first place we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Loved Houllier, still do. But to not see that Rafa wasat least a level up from Houllier is inconceivable to me!
Houllier had us playing ping-pong or poor counter attacking football. In many ways he was the uber Hodgson (no wonder Carra' loves him). Rafa took us further, we could play a pressing game, a counter attacking game and we could play a passing/possession game. We were more a better team, more versatile and deserved to win the league. Managers are not just their trophy counts.

Houllier had us playing ping-pong /counter attacking
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: January 3, 2011, 03:14:33 pm »
Loved Houllier, still do. But to not see that Rafa wasat least a level up from Houllier is inconceivable to me!
Houllier had us playing ping-pong or poor counter attacking football. In many ways he was the uber Hodgson (no wonder Carra' loves him). Rafa took us further, we could play a pressing game, a counter attacking game and we could play a passing/possession game. We were more a better team, more versatile and deserved to win the league. Managers are not just their trophy counts.

Houllier had us playing ping-pong /counter attacking

Well it's all a matter of opinion but apart from a handful of exceptions, I thought the style of football under Rafa was effective, but ugly.  In his final season it became even worse, as with the loss of Alonso we had no passing midfield and resorted to allardyce football.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #82 on: January 3, 2011, 03:53:54 pm »
Well it's all a matter of opinion but apart from a handful of exceptions, I thought the style of football under Rafa was effective, but ugly.  In his final season it became even worse, as with the loss of Alonso we had no passing midfield and resorted to allardyce football.
Ever see Rafa's Valencia?  I think we were a work in progress and Rafa was restricted by the owners. Rafa clearly wanted to use the transfer money and the money from the sale of Alonso to buy 2 midfield players. But was forced to settle for one, and went for Aquilani who is definitely a pass and move player. I think the other midfielder Rafa had in mind was Meireles.

Also note reports had it that Rafa's InterMilan was more attacking than Mourinho's.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 3, 2011, 06:29:30 pm »
Rafa's football was never ugly before Alonso left. Occasionally boring, when all we seemed to do was pass the ball about aimlessly without any tempo or cutting edge, but not ugly.

It was ugly last season though, although mixed in with some lovely football, Sunderland, Benfica, Utd at home.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 4, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »
By handful he means thrashing the mancs, real madrid, winning the champions league, getting to another final I guess.

Never mind exposing the owners long before anyone else bothered to call them out.

I can never figure out the sneering element of some of our suport; I actually think his popularity pisses some of our fans off.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #85 on: January 5, 2011, 11:45:23 am »
By handful he means thrashing the mancs, real madrid, winning the champions league, getting to another final I guess.

Never mind exposing the owners long before anyone else bothered to call them out.

I can never figure out the sneering element of some of our suport; I actually think his popularity pisses some of our fans off.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #86 on: January 5, 2011, 11:53:11 am »

At our best under Rafa we were an absolute machine, just took teams apart. If someone is talking about a handful of times then surely it's giant shovel handfuls.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #87 on: January 5, 2011, 12:26:01 pm »

This
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline DRice

• and DPeas
  • Anny Roader
  • Free to fly the Crimson Sky
« Reply #88 on: January 5, 2011, 12:50:47 pm »
just put kenny in and the fans will love you Nesv..simple as that..and it doesnt matter how he does either as long as we dont get relegated..nobody will judge until start of 2011-12 season

just put kenny in
Diego Maradona: "The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. You knew they could defend but the team showed they could play too and wrote a page in the history books. The match will last forever. "

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 5, 2011, 01:40:12 pm »

You're talking about results, not style of football.  One can excuse the other, Mourinho and Wenger being prime examples.  Rafa had some fine results, and a handful of  fine performances, but on a day to day basis, we were not an entertaining side.

He deserves great credit for exposing the owners.  God only knows where we would be now if they had been allowed to operate in secrecy.

His popularity doesnt bother me, it's deserved.  The worship and the brow beating mob mentality that prevents any objectivity regarding him on rawk, *that* bothers me.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 5, 2011, 01:47:33 pm »
If we get Kenny or Rafa in now then we might have half a chance of a top 6/7 finish so I'd make the change now.
Then what?
What happens next season and the 4 seasons after that?

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 5, 2011, 01:50:21 pm »
Then what?
What happens next season and the 4 seasons after that?

reward succesful miprovement with re-investment in the squad and  if his methods don't work change the manager ?  :o

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 5, 2011, 02:07:00 pm »
You're talking about results, not style of football.  One can excuse the other, Mourinho and Wenger being prime examples.  Rafa had some fine results, and a handful of  fine performances, but on a day to day basis, we were not an entertaining side.

He deserves great credit for exposing the owners.  God only knows where we would be now if they had been allowed to operate in secrecy.

His popularity doesnt bother me, it's deserved.  The worship and the brow beating mob mentality that prevents any objectivity regarding him on rawk, *that* bothers me.

I remember speaking to an arsenal ST holder mate, he was telling me he thought rafa should go because we had no particular "brand" of football, which a big club like liverpool needed. i tried to explain to him, our "brand" of football wasnt really a style of play, it was more the ability and application of absolutely shutting the oppo down as soon as the match kicked off- tactically, physically, positionally... however.

I lost count of the amount of times we beat a massive side up home or away, and the post match reaction would be along the lines of "Liverpool played well but  ___ were just not at the races. They can play much better than that"

it happened that many times it became obvious. our gameplan, our style of play, was to win the match, and it used to work well. It wasnt to have a style in posession that everyone would ooh and aah over, it was to win the match be it against real madrid, or bolton, by any means necessary.

I have no interest in how nice the football looks on the pitch unless the results are there first and foremost. a good display of football is mere consollation if we dont win the game. if we win it, i would prefer a decent performance but dont really care. i got my attractive football fix in the mid nineties. I want to win, not be entertained.

Offline M17ARFilms

• Main Stander
« Reply #93 on: January 5, 2011, 02:08:19 pm »
Last night I watched a program called " Final Score " its an Arabic program that talks about the Premier League and they had Kenny Dalglish as a guest , they then showed the latest news , and ofcourse the Hodgson leaving and Kenny taking his place came up , they then asked him what does he think about that , he said I am here and I have no Idea what they are talking about and that he thinks its just speculations .... and then they asked him if Roy got sacked would he take the place , he answered " Lets just hope there isnt any fire " and he kept on trying to skip the questions that spoke about Roy's season .

EDIT : the show was 3 days old , but i watched the replay , and just to let you guys know he was asked to cut his holiday in Dubai to get back to Liverpool .
« Last Edit: January 5, 2011, 02:09:59 pm by M17ARFilms »