Author Topic: Dejan Lovren  (Read 503287 times)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dejan Lovren signs new long-term Liverpool contract
« Reply #960 on: April 28, 2017, 05:15:37 pm »
I don't think he's good enough, maybe as a squad player, maybe, but he's too rash and commits himself far too often, resulting in chances or goals for the opposition, pity the club couldn't just bung Southampton him and Sakho for van Dijk.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #961 on: April 28, 2017, 05:47:55 pm »
Think Lovren's agent is going to be in massive demand soon.

Talk from the journalists on twitter is that he walked away from contract talks at one point. It obviously worked!  :lmao 

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #962 on: April 28, 2017, 05:48:13 pm »
He'd be the best paid defender in Serie A. Laughable

Think Lovren's agent is going to be in massive demand soon.

Talk from the journalists on twitter is that he walked away from contract talks at one point. It obviously worked!  :lmao 

He'd be lucky to get anywhere near £100k at any other club in the world.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #963 on: April 28, 2017, 05:49:06 pm »
In terms of finance, Serie A as a league is nowhere near the PL
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #964 on: April 28, 2017, 05:50:20 pm »

You're comparing different leagues, cultures and countries.

He'd be lucky to get anywhere near £100k at any other club in the world.

A statement based on fuck all.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #965 on: April 28, 2017, 05:55:07 pm »

For the sake of comparison, Sergio Ramos earns £160k and Raphael Varane £80k per week, at one of the richest clubs on Earth, is Lovren close to providing nearly as much value for money as Ramos?, or more value for money than Varane?, is he fuck, it's a mind boggling salary for such an inconsistent footballer.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #966 on: April 28, 2017, 05:55:56 pm »

What is wrong with comparing different leagues? Not like there is a ban on signing any of those players.

If there are better players, earning less money somewhere else, it might behoove us to look more closely at that and use it to our advantage.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:59:12 pm by BER »

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: April 28, 2017, 05:58:33 pm »

Can we not sign players from Europe? So the comparison is valid.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: April 28, 2017, 05:58:49 pm »
For the sake of comparison, Sergio Ramos earns £160k and Raphael Varane £80k per week, at one of the richest clubs on Earth, is Lovren close to providing nearly as much value for money as Ramos?, or more value for money than Varane?, is he fuck, it's a mind boggling salary for such an inconsistent footballer.
We don't know the specifics, maybe Varane gets more than Lovren overall due to sponsorships etc, or maybe he's just not that arsed about earning more. He can't be that bothered if he's happy with that wage there.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: April 28, 2017, 06:00:51 pm »
What is wrong with comparing different leagues? Not like there is a ban on signing any of those players.

If there are better players, earning less money somewhere else, isn't the whole idea to go try and sign them?

Can we not sign players from Europe? So the comparison is valid.

For a start, you're not taking into account the financial differences, the tax differences, the cultural differences. English football has the richest league in the world as well.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #970 on: April 28, 2017, 06:01:04 pm »

What's wrong with comparing leagues? Clutching at straws now mate. We pay our average players the same as city and utd do theirs. Difference they can afford to do it and offer new players just as much. We reward mediocrity and try sign better players by offering less.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #971 on: April 28, 2017, 06:01:29 pm »
I'm okay with this, he's an option and we will need plenty of those. The money yes its a lot, but these days youner players who have done little are earning crazy amounts of money. This presumably will be his last contract from the club, if the manager is happy with it, I'm okay with it. We just need to make sure we sign another CB in the summer.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: April 28, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »
For a start, you're not taking into account the financial differences, the tax differences, the cultural differences. English football has the richest league in the world as well.

Yes, but we are able to sign these players from these so called 'poorer leagues'. So it's valid to compare salaries.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #973 on: April 28, 2017, 06:05:41 pm »
As long as he is not a starter too often next season then nothing wrong with tying him up.

Replacing him would probably cost over £20M + the wages, so in effect giving him a new deal is the cheaper option.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: April 28, 2017, 06:09:54 pm »
As long as he is not a starter too often next season then nothing wrong with tying him up.

Replacing him would probably cost over £20M + the wages, so in effect giving him a new deal is the cheaper option.

That in itself is a damming indictment of FSG. Happy to put up with mediocrity as it's the cheaper option.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: April 28, 2017, 06:12:50 pm »

If scouts couldn't find a better player than Lovren for £20m in the world we may as well just get rid of them. Absolutely pointless.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #976 on: April 28, 2017, 06:13:07 pm »
That in itself is a damming indictment of FSG. Happy to put up with mediocrity as it's the cheaper option.

Yes, because no other owners would do that, would they? ::)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #977 on: April 28, 2017, 06:21:13 pm »
People are going to be in for shock next season if they're expecting a new central defender to come in and all our defensive woes will be solved.

Sakho, Lovren, Matip, Lucas, Klavan and Toure etc have all played and looked poor at times. Is it because they're all bad players or because we leave them exposed and unprotected.

Our problems are due to the system, until we balance the style of play our defence will continue to look poor.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #978 on: April 28, 2017, 06:31:34 pm »
Some of the social media moaners ffs what is wrong with some of our fans

We need depth we moan of lack of it. Of course we look to buy a CB but surely we dont sell the current one half?? any other top club would be adding a plus 1 hopefully a better plus 1 to really push them all for places in the first team.

Sometimes i think were happy just to be moaning.

Im happy with the news. I remember centre halfs getting 100k a week 15yrs ago. Crack on

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #979 on: April 28, 2017, 06:32:33 pm »
People are going to be in for shock next season if they're expecting a new central defender to come in and all our defensive woes will be solved.

Sakho, Lovren, Matip, Lucas, Klavan and Toure etc have all played and looked poor at times. Is it because they're all bad players or because we leave them exposed and unprotected.

Our problems are due to the system, until we balance the style of play our defence will continue to look poor.

Because none maybe matip and Sakho aside are good enough to be at a club who don't site deep and protect the back 4.

What about the set piece goals we conceded the last few years?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: April 28, 2017, 06:33:58 pm »
Absolutely okay with this.

It doesn't mean that he's now first choice. As others have pointed out, £100k p/w is the new £50-60k p/w in the current footballing landscape.

What he is though, is a perfectly adequate option, and we need more of those.

I agree.  Improving the overall quality of the squad means retaining decent players like Lovren.  Mass clear outs are counter productive.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #981 on: April 28, 2017, 06:35:17 pm »
Because none maybe matip and Sakho aside are good enough to be at a club who don't site deep and protect the back 4.

That's rubbish, Matip and Sakho (especially) have also made errors, rash decisions, poor decision making, they just don't get as much of a hard time about it.

What about set-piece goals, they're all Lovren are they?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: April 28, 2017, 06:35:35 pm »

About five or six people have already tried to explain that on here mate. But it's falling on deaf ears for those who want to moan about a player they've never liked and never wanted here in the first place.

Lovren isn't without his faults. He has cost us goals through lack of concentration or individual errors. I don't think anyone can deny that. He isn't the sole reason why we're so poor defensively though. None of our CB's are. The reason so many mistakes are made is because of like you said, the system we play. It asks a lot of our defenders. It's a difficult, thankless task being a defender in this Liverpool side that get's so little protection from their midfield. Especially on the counter.

You could put Tottenham's whole back four in our side and even though I believe it would be an improvement, I still think we'd concede more than what the current Spurs side have done at this point of the season.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #983 on: April 28, 2017, 06:36:43 pm »
Im happy with the news. I remember centre halfs getting 100k a week 15yrs ago. Crack on
Point is, club has calculated that they can afford 3 CBs on 100k+, so it's happy days. As far as 3rd CBs go Lovren will probably be as good as most of our rivals' 3rd CBs. Good stuff.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #984 on: April 28, 2017, 06:38:50 pm »
Point is, club has calculated that they can afford 3 CBs on 100k+, so it's happy days. As far as 3rd CBs go Lovren will probably be as good as most of our rivals' 3rd CBs. Good stuff.
Exactly. Hes improved alot. Ok had a bad game last week fresh in the memory but i really dont think he is as bad a defender as people think.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #985 on: April 28, 2017, 06:41:19 pm »
About five or six people have already tried to explain that on here mate. But it's falling on deaf ears for those who want to moan about a player they've never liked and never wanted here in the first place.

Lovren isn't without his faults. He has cost us goals through lack of concentration or individual errors. I don't think anyone can deny that. He isn't the sole reason why we're so poor defensively though. None of our CB's are. The reason so many mistakes are made is because of like you said, the system we play. It asks a lot of our defenders. It's a difficult, thankless task being a defender in this Liverpool side that get's so little protection from their midfield. Especially on the counter.

You could put Tottenham's whole back four in our side and even though I believe it would be an improvement, I still think we'd concede more than what the current Spurs side have done at this point of the season.
Spot on, especially the last bit. It's no coincidence Lovren's form at Southampton that prompted us to buy him was under Pochettino, a manager who sets his teams up well and gives his back four protection, that's why the Spurs centre backs looks so good. As you say, drop them into our defence and they be a nervous wreck too.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: April 28, 2017, 06:43:01 pm »

Both Matip and Sakho have been error prone themselves. Especially the latter when he was here. Funny how he's starting to look rock solid now he's in a side that is set-up not to get beat first and foremost though eh...

As for being shit at defending set-pieces, both Matip and Sakho have been part of those teams that have been so woeful at dealing with them as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:50:31 pm by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #987 on: April 28, 2017, 06:44:40 pm »
I'm not too arsed. As long as we sign a new CB that can partner Matip, then Lovren would make a good third choice. The money's a bit too high though, and as others have expressed I'm not too fond of our club rewarding players based on fuck all. But hey, if they can afford it... I just don't want to see us being tightarses in the transfer market come summer when we're so generous with extending existing contracts.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: April 28, 2017, 06:48:11 pm »
Spot on, especially the last bit. It's no coincidence Lovren's form at Southampton that prompted us to buy him was under Pochettino, a manager who sets his teams up well and gives his back four protection, that's why the Spurs centre backs looks so good. As you say, drop them into our defence and they be a nervous wreck too.

Perhaps true.

But there are times Spurs, Chelsea and co chasing games - leaving the defenders exposed. And they still look more assured than our lot.

Matip whilst i believe isn't in great form is going to be afforded time. I've seen Lovren here now for 3 years, and whilst he has improved marginally under Klopp - he still far from the level we require. The sheer volume of mistakes he makes, erratic defending is endemic in his game.

Sure no problem having him as a squad player - but to upgrade his contract by almost 50% is utterly insane. The length of the contract is utterly baffling too.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #989 on: April 28, 2017, 06:51:03 pm »
I guess the hope is that we are def signing a top level CB to partner Matip? With Gomez as 4th choice (who I would loan so he can play and keep Klavan as 4th choice).

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: April 28, 2017, 06:51:40 pm »
It would be stupid to sell him. Then we'd need his replacement and another CB for depth. So yeah, I don't see how this strategy is cheaper
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #991 on: April 28, 2017, 06:55:48 pm »
Perhaps true.

But there are times Spurs, Chelsea and co chasing games - leaving the defenders exposed. And they still look more assured than our lot.

Matip whilst i believe isn't in great form is going to be afforded time. I've seen Lovren here now for 3 years, and whilst he has improved marginally under Klopp - he still far from the level we require. The sheer volume of mistakes he makes, erratic defending is endemic in his game.

Sure no problem having him as a squad player - but to upgrade his contract by almost 50% is utterly insane. The length of the contract is utterly baffling too.
I'd be interested in seeing how often Chelsea and Spurs have been chasing games this season, they always offer their defence protection. You put Cahill (pace) and Luiz (take your pick) in our team do you honestly believe they'd be an improvements? I reckon Lovren in their team doesn't affect results too demonstrably.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: April 28, 2017, 06:56:40 pm »
Personally, I don't think Lovren is good enough to be a first team player for Liverpool. He would be ok as a backup I suppose, but can't see why we would think paying 100k a week for a backup is a good idea. Unless he is seen as a first choice of course, but then that raises big questions for our upcoming window as we need to massively improve our defence.

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #993 on: April 28, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »

Ok then our system is great for attackers. If we have Redmond or Grosicki etc they will have the same impact as Mane ?.. why not ?..

And if our system leave the defenders exposed as you say why the club is paying £100k a week to a defender who is poor in 1v1 situations?..

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #994 on: April 28, 2017, 07:04:18 pm »
Ok then our system is great for attackers. If we have Redmond or Grosicki etc they will have the same impact as Mane ?.. why not ?..

And if our system leave the defenders exposed as you say why the club is paying £100k a week to a defender who is poor in 1v1 situations?..
What the fuck does that first line mean?

You could easily ask why play a system that doesn't suit any of our defenders, in that case ask the manager.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: April 28, 2017, 07:06:34 pm »

That makes no sense at all.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #996 on: April 28, 2017, 07:11:15 pm »
That makes no sense at all.

The point is the quality of the defender is being pushing to one side as the reasoning is, any defender, whether it's Lovren or Hummels, would struggle in Klopps system.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: April 28, 2017, 07:11:43 pm »
Why does anything critical always have to be agenda driven? If he consistently performed to a high standard, I'd be fucking thrilled, he doesn't though. That's mine and others view, it's a simply as that, nothing to do with who signed him, or from where.

If the club and Klopp are happy to pay him that, fine, but I'm praying he's not first choice next season.

Offline Beard

• Main Stander
« Reply #998 on: April 28, 2017, 07:13:33 pm »
No problem with this if he's starting on the bench next season. If he is a starter on the other hand then we are seriously lacking any ambition.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #999 on: April 28, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »
The point is the quality of the defender is being pushing to one side as the reasoning is, any defender, whether it's Lovren or Hummels, would struggle in Klopps system.
I don't think Matip is struggling in Klopp's system - nor Clyne, nor Milner. Matip's number of errors that led to shots or goals is negligible this season. And his defensive record in games he played is more than ok considering how much he played with the likes of Lucas and Klavan.

System can only do so much. Spurs conceded 53 goals before Alderweireld joined them. Same system.

The reality is that last season with having Skrtel and Lovren we needed two CBs not one.