Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5730861 times)

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #41040 on: January 22, 2017, 12:01:50 pm »
Because Simeone will guarantee us the trophies we want to win? In the same way Guardiola, Klopp and Mourinho are doing at their clubs. The other great managers that
apparently would have guaranteed us success.
 I'm all for slaughtering Wenger, but none of his once potential replacements are delivering the trophies that he continues to fail to deliver. So the change would be more moral than factual. On the pitch, I expect over a season, very little may change, with a real possibility that things get worse.

Poor comparison. We don't yet know what Guardiola, Klopp and Mourinho's ceilings are at their respective clubs. None of them have had the chance to deliver success.

We do, however, know Wenger's ceiling in current football (football's moved on a lot since 2004 so success back then is not relevant). He does seem to make the same mistakes year on year and Arsenal dont seem to be pushing on.

BTW, you seem to have forgotten to mention Conte in your examples of changing manager  ;)

he's an absolute class act. Especially when compared to the other managers in the league over the latter two decades, both the successful ones and the rest.

Agree with this 100%, he's a brilliant man and will be sorely missed from the league when does leave. Such a classy guy, especially given the shit he's had to put up with from Ferguson, Mourinho and some dickhead fans with that disgusting chant.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41041 on: January 22, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
Klopp might stand a chance of having a long term career at Liverpool as Liverpool seem sensible. Mourinho will be gone within 2 years from now and Guardiola will too. Probably back to Barcelona, maybe even this summer when Luis Enrique is sacked.

Regarding us getting a new manager. A new manager at Arsenal will be given a large amount of time from the board, our board don't seem to panic about anything regardless of what happens. Simeone would be perfect for us, given plenty of time to implement his style of play and the sort of signings he wants and the guy would sell his granny to win.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41042 on: January 22, 2017, 03:02:03 pm »
Klopp might stand a chance of having a long term career at Liverpool as Liverpool seem sensible. Mourinho will be gone within 2 years from now and Guardiola will too. Probably back to Barcelona, maybe even this summer when Luis Enrique is sacked.

Regarding us getting a new manager. A new manager at Arsenal will be given a large amount of time from the board, our board don't seem to panic about anything regardless of what happens. Simeone would be perfect for us, given plenty of time to implement his style of play and the sort of signings he wants and the guy would sell his granny to win.

I think this is absolute pie in the sky thinking.  It is what every fan wants, a superstar manager with a robust style of football and a track record of being able to get to the biggest games in European football - but the board has consistently shown they value a different sort of leadership, somebody who is largely agreeable, and world class managers are 1. expensive, 2. risky, and 3. demand investment in the team which the board may not wish to prosecute.

The only upside I can see, is with Klopp, Conte and Guardiola joining the league, getting a top 4 place is harder, and remains as much if not more lucrative - this may make the board believe trying an 'untested' manager is a much greater risk and shall result in a Moyes-style transition, where the team doesn't have confidence in their manager.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #41043 on: January 22, 2017, 03:05:35 pm »
Sanchez looks like he'd rather be anywhere else
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41044 on: January 22, 2017, 03:14:25 pm »
Sanchez looks like he'd rather be anywhere else

Reckon he'll be off this summer, Juve maybe? and they will go all out for either Brandt/Pulisic knowing our luck.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #41045 on: January 22, 2017, 03:18:00 pm »

I'm interested, why do you think Simeone would be perfect for you?
He's a great manager, but why do you think he'd be perfect for Arsenal? It's not as if you're playing in a style remotely similar to his, and I'm not even sure you have the types of players that might fit into a Simeone machine.
Tell you what, when Rafa gets promoted with Newcastle and then quits when Ashley suddenly forgets his bank pin code, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Arsenal (if Wenger leaves). You've got the players that would fit in a little more easily under Rafa's system, and he's shown he's got an eye for a transfer if suitably backed.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41046 on: January 22, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »
He's a great manager, but why do you think he'd be perfect for Arsenal? It's not as if you're playing in a style remotely similar to his, and I'm not even sure you have the types of players that might fit into a Simeone machine.
Tell you what, when Rafa gets promoted with Newcastle and then quits when Ashley suddenly forgets his bank pin code, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Arsenal (if Wenger leaves). You've got the players that would fit in a little more easily under Rafa's system, and he's shown he's got an eye for a transfer if suitably backed.
I think Benetiez is enjoying life at Newcastle to leave so soon and plus I'm not sure he would be good enough to win the league for us. Simeone created a side to win the league ahead of Barcelona and Real Madrid. Given plenty of time he could easily do the same for us.

Good win today, fully deserved. Should have had a penalty on Mustafi. No one is talking about it oddly enough.

Offline jimbo1962

• Anny Roader
« Reply #41047 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:30 pm »
Laughable..Mees boot just touches Koscielnys forehead and the bastard puts both hands to the sides of his head as if to hold it on

Offline Mackinaw Peach

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Wigan address
« Reply #41048 on: January 22, 2017, 06:01:41 pm »
I think Benetiez is enjoying life at Newcastle to leave so soon and plus I'm not sure he would be good enough to win the league for us. Simeone created a side to win the league ahead of Barcelona and Real Madrid. 

As did Benitez - twice. Agree that he is unlikely to leave NUFC, though.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41049 on: January 22, 2017, 06:06:57 pm »
Everyone has a better manager than us, even Newcastle. Yet only Chelsea are above us in the league, personally I put it down to our brilliant fans.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41050 on: January 22, 2017, 06:08:15 pm »
Laughable..Mees boot just touches Koscielnys forehead and the bastard puts both hands to the sides of his head as if to hold it on

In midfield thats a foul so in the area thats a pen, Coquelin hardly touched their player and he went flying too. We made it hard for ourselves and Xhaka was off his head again, but an important 3 points.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #41051 on: January 22, 2017, 06:21:01 pm »

Rafa is not getting one of the top jobs in England again, regardless of what he does at Newcastle. Unfortunately the English media have put such a negative spin on him that arsenal fans would turn their noses up at him.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41052 on: January 22, 2017, 06:22:15 pm »
Everyone has a better manager than us, even Newcastle. Yet only Chelsea are above us in the league, personally I put it down to our brilliant fans.

The ones you pay to wave flags?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41053 on: January 22, 2017, 06:25:06 pm »
The ones you pay to wave flags?

Not at full time, cant wave flags on packed trains.

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #41054 on: January 22, 2017, 06:52:02 pm »
You should really go for Mourinho this summer.But seriously you should get rid of likes of Ramsey,Ox,Coquelin,Walcott...Only someone like Alex Ferguson could win titles with similar garbage.There are clubs in this league who gonna pay a lot for that bunch.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:01:50 pm by kaiser franz »

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41055 on: January 22, 2017, 07:09:15 pm »
Go for Mourinho?

Mind is boggled.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41056 on: January 22, 2017, 07:24:46 pm »
You should really go for Mourinho this summer.But seriously you should get rid of likes of Ramsey,Ox,Coquelin,Walcott...Only someone like Alex Ferguson could win titles with similar garbage.There are clubs in this league who gonna pay a lot for that bunch.

Walcott was banging the goals in earlier this season prior to injury, Oxlade appears to be having one of his most productive seasons with Sanchez up front (though now Giroud is back, doubt he will get many minues), Coquelin is integral to how the side plays.  I do personally believe Ramsey could be sold, as I think it's either him or Wilshere, and I'd prefer Jack back at the club if he can maintain his fitness all season, especially with Xhaka looking like he didn't deserve those house keys after all.

But Mourinho? I assume you're trolling, want him nowhere near the club.

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #41057 on: January 22, 2017, 07:32:34 pm »
They are solid players but not game changing title winning players.Yes Ox bang goal and assist here and there but my god that guy is one of worst decision making footballer i ever seen.That Iwobi kid looks much better.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41058 on: January 22, 2017, 07:54:12 pm »
I'd get rid of everyone and give their wages to Sanchez, we have a huge squad but only a handful of players that have to make the difference every week.

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #41059 on: January 22, 2017, 09:15:25 pm »
I'd get rid of everyone and give their wages to Sanchez, we have a huge squad but only a handful of players that have to make the difference every week.
Well if you sell few of them,and we all know that premier league clubs throwing money left and right you can certainly then invest properly.For example Nainggolan from Roma is certainly obtainable and he is really,really good player.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41060 on: January 22, 2017, 10:08:07 pm »

Ramsey's a brilliant number 10. Problem is, he's not as good as Ozil and he's not very good wide right or in center mid where he ends up getting shoved.

If Ozil doesn't get his pay rise and leaves, Arsenal could do a lot worse than giving Ramsey an extended run in the role.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:12:21 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41061 on: January 22, 2017, 10:25:23 pm »
Ramsey has only had one great season and even then he was injured in the middle of it. Still did more for us than many midfielders in recent times.

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #41062 on: January 22, 2017, 10:31:36 pm »
Ramsey looks brillant with Wales but every time i watch him at arsenal he is average at best.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41063 on: January 23, 2017, 11:19:04 am »
I think with Arsenal, Ramsey either plays in a position that isn't his best and perhaps lacks confidence as he knows Ozil or Iwobi (oth preferred there by Wenger) will take his place at number 10. At his best when making intelligent runs into the box and the confidence to get the final part right

Not happy with yet more idiocy from Xhaka undermining a good performance and the way we lost our heads with the penalty. We played pretty well, were handling the ten men situation comfortably enough but their penalty was our fault, we failed to clear our lines, we brought their player down without touching the ball, Cech yet to learn how to save a penalty. Our fault, take responsibility, don't throw hissy fits at the ref for doing his job. Happening a bit too often by the players, tends to be that it affects the performance for awhile though this time, the after-effects was unusually short. We need to keep our focus.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:40:54 am by MagicHat »

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41064 on: January 23, 2017, 11:48:36 am »
I think with Arsenal, Ramsey either plays in a position that isn't his best and perhaps lacks confidence as he knows Ozil or Iwobi (oth preferred there by Wenger) will take his place at number 10. At his best when making intelligent runs into the box and the confidence to get the final part right

Not happy with yet more idiocy from Xhaka undermining a good performance and the way we lost our heads with the penalty. We played pretty well, were handling the ten men situation comfortably enough but their penalty was our fault, we failed to clear our lines, we brought their player down without touching the ball, Cech yet to learn how to save a penalty. Our fault, take responsibility, don't throw hissy fits at the ref for doing his job. Happening a bit too often by the players, tends to be that it affects the performance for awhile though this time, the after-effects was unusually short. We need to keep our focus.

Besides your points which I agree with, I've got concerns that we seem to only start really playing the 2nd half, or even worse when we go behind. Too many sluggish first half performances for my liking. Defence needs to settle again as well, we are giving away too many chances & aren't playing as well in a unit back there as we did in the early part of the season.

Still, we've somehow manage to fluke our way up to 2nd it seems. It's a shame Chelsea had that good run & opened up that gap otherwise we could have had a very decent title race this year. It's quite exciting below them, you could be sitting 2nd & 1 bad result leaves you doubting a top 4 finish.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41065 on: January 23, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »
Besides your points which I agree with, I've got concerns that we seem to only start really playing the 2nd half, or even worse when we go behind. Too many sluggish first half performances for my liking. Defence needs to settle again as well, we are giving away too many chances & aren't playing as well in a unit back there as we did in the early part of the season.

Still, we've somehow manage to fluke our way up to 2nd it seems. It's a shame Chelsea had that good run & opened up that gap otherwise we could have had a very decent title race this year. It's quite exciting below them, you could be sitting 2nd & 1 bad result leaves you doubting a top 4 finish.

We seem to have stumbled our way up the table past much more celebrated teams.
Very much hit and miss but we definitely don't give up, coming back from 3-0 down, then scoring so many late goals. We are forcing the issue more with character than ability at the moment.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41066 on: January 23, 2017, 12:19:42 pm »
We seem to have stumbled our way up the table past much more celebrated teams.
Very much hit and miss but we definitely don't give up, coming back from 3-0 down, then scoring so many late goals. We are forcing the issue more with character than ability at the moment.

That can't be, we have no character or bottle!

Here's an open question, what do we think the most frustrating? Having a great record against the lesser teams but constantly struggle & under perform against the 'top' teams, or having a great record vs the top teams but come undone all too often against the lesser teams?

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41067 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:07 pm »
I am surprised we are 2nd given the performances we have put in. We will probably finish ahead of Tottenham and Liverpool again. If only we had played well this season, we might have done better.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41068 on: January 23, 2017, 12:35:19 pm »
That can't be, we have no character or bottle!

To be fair, a team with real character would have been 2 points closer to Chelsea as they would have prioritised going for the win over Bournemouth over doing a Morcombe and Wise dance routine.

Here's an open question, what do we think the most frustrating? Having a great record against the lesser teams but constantly struggle & under perform against the 'top' teams, or having a great record vs the top teams but come undone all too often against the lesser teams?

Given neither are likely to deliver real success you'd have to say the 2nd scenario is most frustrating. For starters, there's more "lesser" teams than "top" teams, so the first scenario gives you more points. But also it's really frustrating knowing you're capable of beating the dross but not being able to get motivated enough to actually do so.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41069 on: January 23, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »
Not a chance Wenger would have apologised to the 4th official if they hadn't won that game.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41070 on: January 23, 2017, 03:01:23 pm »
To be fair, a team with real character would have been 2 points closer to Chelsea as they would have prioritised going for the win over Bournemouth over doing a Morcombe and Wise dance routine.

I dont know if those 8 seconds lost made that big a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, i talk slightly tongue in cheek as there does seem to be some sort of mentality issues at times. I just hate whenever a team gets beat (especially Arsenal, but yourselves & Spurs get it a lot to), it's automatic "bottlers"!
No matter the circumstances, its just that they bottled it. Too simplistic a view if you ask me, but hey ho.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41071 on: January 23, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
I am surprised we are 2nd given the performances we have put in. We will probably finish ahead of Tottenham and Liverpool again. If only we had played well this season, we might have done better.

You Arsenal fans sure like celebrating your 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed finishes.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41072 on: January 23, 2017, 03:12:37 pm »
Why are the Arsenal fans so giddy in this thread?  :lmao

You're not too far from joining us in the '20 years without a title' club, but instead you're all jumping for joy at proving the 'doubters' wrong by being above ourselves and Spurs. Get your priorities straight. You're 8 points off Chelsea and set to be going 13 years without the league.

If i were you lot, i'd still be livid about letting Leicester bloody City win the title last season. 85 points was gettable last season with someone of the quality of Sanchez up top, instead you end up underachieving as you so often have of late.

And that's all on Wenger.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:16:35 pm by Kals »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41073 on: January 23, 2017, 03:24:12 pm »
I dont know if those 8 seconds lost made that big a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, i talk slightly tongue in cheek as there does seem to be some sort of mentality issues at times. I just hate whenever a team gets beat (especially Arsenal, but yourselves & Spurs get it a lot to), it's automatic "bottlers"!
No matter the circumstances, its just that they bottled it. Too simplistic a view if you ask me, but hey ho.

It was longer than 8 seconds, what with him needing to get his hugs from the crowd as well as needing to do his dance. Certainly long enough to piss off the players with better mentalities in your team who thought winning was more important. It's great for Liverpool that he did it but I do feel a bit for Sanchez having to put up with characters like that!

Re: Arsenal being bottlers, maybe it is a bit harsh. I think there are a few high profile instances of bottling and it just stuck. The blowing an 8pt lead in March 2003, never being able to recreate your undoubted 98-04 brilliance when that team played in the highest pressure European matches and, of course, this image;

I dont think Arsenal have had a particularly great record against the top clubs either over the years if I'm not wrong? Happy to be corrected on that.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41074 on: January 23, 2017, 03:45:07 pm »

It's mid-winter, what else did you expect?  ;)

https://vine.co/v/it3nbMOajln

If i were you lot, i'd still be livid about letting Leicester bloody City win the title last season. 85 points was gettable last season with someone of the quality of Sanchez up top, instead you end up underachieving as you so often have of late.

I agree with this. It's understandable finishing below a much richer club who are also going through a period of stability, which is what normally happens. But not capitalising when you're the only "big" club that season not going through a period of massive change is unforgivable. Same as the time they lost to Monaco in the CL knock outs. Fair enough losing to Barca or Munich, but blowing it against Monaco isn't good enough for a club of Arsenal's resources and stability.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41075 on: January 23, 2017, 04:10:06 pm »

You're not too far from joining us in the '20 years without a title' club, but instead you're all jumping for joy at proving the 'doubters' wrong by being above ourselves and Spurs. Get your priorities straight. You're 8 points off Chelsea and set to be going 13 years without the league.

Don't think anyone is giddy. It's just with the way the likes of Spurs have been praised recently, you would think they were well clear of us. It still hurts being so far behind Chelsea, but when someone goes on a 12 match winning run, you have to grudgingly admire them.

As for letting Leicester win the league last season...were u lot not in the same league? They beat 19 other teams remember, not just us.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41076 on: January 23, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »
It was longer than 8 seconds, what with him needing to get his hugs from the crowd as well as needing to do his dance. Certainly long enough to piss off the players with better mentalities in your team who thought winning was more important. It's great for Liverpool that he did it but I do feel a bit for Sanchez having to put up with characters like that!

Re: Arsenal being bottlers, maybe it is a bit harsh. I think there are a few high profile instances of bottling and it just stuck. The blowing an 8pt lead in March 2003, never being able to recreate your undoubted 98-04 brilliance when that team played in the highest pressure European matches and, of course, this image;

I dont think Arsenal have had a particularly great record against the top clubs either over the years if I'm not wrong? Happy to be corrected on that.

Sorry, it was closer to 15secs. Anyway, he might have helped stop Bournemouth from scoring, if I remember right they played better after the restart.

Just a question, would you call your team bottlers the last 10-15 years?

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #41077 on: January 23, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »
Should ask Gerrard  thing or two about bottling ;)

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41078 on: January 23, 2017, 04:36:22 pm »
Just a question, would you call your team bottlers the last 10-15 years?

I'd have to break that down into different periods as we've had so many incarnations as a club in that time. So going back 15 years to 2002;

2002-2009: If anything, we were the opposite of bottlers in this period (overachievers? Big game players?). In the league I'd have to hold my hands up and say first Arsenal, then Chelsea, then Man Utd were just better than us. There's a good argument to say that Arsenal 2002-2004, Chelsea 2004-2006 and Man Utd 2006-2009 were the best teams in their respective club's histories. So I'd put not winning the league in that period to just not being as good as them, rather than bottling it at any point. We did however dominate Europe, hence overachieving and being the opposite of bottlers.

2009-12 (the Hicks and Gillette fallout & rebuild): We were just crap. We weren't good enough to be in a position to bottle anything.

2012-15 (the Rodgers years): We probably finished each of Rodger's seasons where we deserved to. I guess you could say throwing away a two point lead in 2014 is bottling it if you were being particularly weird, but truth is Man City were the better team and deservedly won.

2015- (the Klopp years): Who knows, way too early to say. Losing 2 finals in his first year is very bad final form (11 finals short of being Henry-esque you could say). If this keeps happening and we keep getting to, and losing, finals then yeah, I'd say we're bottlers. Ask again in a few years.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:43:11 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41079 on: January 23, 2017, 04:36:46 pm »

Have you not read the last few pages of this thread? No Arsenal fan is celebrating 2nd. It does seem the other teams have been overrated this season as we have been underwhelming and are above them right now.