Author Topic: The University of Liverpool  (Read 22168 times)

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The University of Liverpool
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2005, 09:14:23 pm »
Oh heck whats another 10K on the 13K debt I'll already have ::)

One thing that's confusing me at the moment though...my second Uni year starts now (Sept 2005) so my timetable is as follows -

05-06 2nd yr
06-07 3rd yr
07-08 LPC
08-09 - 1st yr training

So having had a quick look and not really understood what I'm reading...I have to apply for my LPC in this academic year and 2006 summer, right? So when do I apply for training for that - now? Or is that from September next year? I've had a look at a couple of firms' websites and they say that I have to apply now for TCs for 2007. That's not me, is it?

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 09:24:19 pm »
Oh heck whats another 10K on the 13K debt I'll already have ::)

One thing that's confusing me at the moment though...my second Uni year starts now (Sept 2005) so my timetable is as follows -

05-06 2nd yr
06-07 3rd yr
07-08 LPC
08-09 - 1st yr training

So having had a quick look and not really understood what I'm reading...I have to apply for my LPC in this academic year and 2006 summer, right? So when do I apply for training for that - now? Or is that from September next year? I've had a look at a couple of firms' websites and they say that I have to apply now for TCs for 2007. That's not me, is it?

No. You'll be doing the LPC that year. Wher I live most of the 2007 deadlines have passed but up north they may be a little more varied on the deadlines. You want one which starts in September 2008...which means that you may need to wait until January onwards to apply. Find experience now  for next summer if you can and apply next summer, before July 31 ideally, but there will probably be lots of firms in the North West whose 2008 starting deadline extends until the end of 2006 in to 2007. No real rush yet

For me, I will probably have to take a gap year next year. No other option really. However, the majority of people on my LPC course have not yet secured a contract so theres no real need to rush too much. An early start may help, though

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 09:28:10 pm »
There's a lot of local firms at the top end of Smithdown by the Tesco in Mossley Hill that I was going to write some polite begging letters to,

Pens at dawn then mate, let battle commence. I was going to do exactly the same thing ;) Even better as I can crawl out of my house and walk around the corner.
......and could he play!

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 09:29:53 pm »
What I'm planning to do is hopefully complete my GDL this year and pass, then do my LPC on a two-year basis, or take a year out and use that 1-2 years to get a decent job that'll pay well to fund some of the course, get some decent legal work experience and hopefully gives me a bit more time to apply to firms and sell myself in a better light than I can do now.
......and could he play!

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2005, 09:34:16 pm »
Be warned

The GDL is hellishly difficult. Somehow I got a Commendation but that's cos i'm clever ;). However, the end of year exams are amongst the most stressful I have ever experienced. A year off doing something else before the LPC is not a bad idea in theory, was thinking of doing that myself, but parental [and grandparental] pressures and the impression I gained that it might sound to a firm you might be uncommitted and hedging your bets a bit persuaded me otherwise :-\

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2005, 09:43:44 pm »
Be warned

The GDL is hellishly difficult. Somehow I got a Commendation but that's cos i'm clever ;). However, the end of year exams are amongst the most stressful I have ever experienced. A year off doing something else before the LPC is not a bad idea in theory, was thinking of doing that myself, but parental [and grandparental] pressures and the impression I gained that it might sound to a firm you might be uncommitted and hedging your bets a bit persuaded me otherwise :-\

Aye, already can see it'll be a bit of a beast getting through this GDL. Ah well, we'll see anyway! I think the main way I'd sell the two year LPC or the year break is through using the time wisely to gain legal work experience (the CAB are keen to take me on, so this is an option), stuff like that. It also helps to gain financial rewards, allowing me to be more independent and not relying on another big bank loan.
......and could he play!

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2005, 09:49:38 pm »
Aye, already can see it'll be a bit of a beast getting through this GDL. Ah well, we'll see anyway! I think the main way I'd sell the two year LPC or the year break is through using the time wisely to gain legal work experience (the CAB are keen to take me on, so this is an option), stuff like that. It also helps to gain financial rewards, allowing me to be more independent and not relying on another big bank loan.

If you are going to follow one of these options, go for the year off then the full time LPC. The part time LPC is only on one day a week, you will probably work on the other days, but a firm may prefer it if you did the course full time in a year [as your potential grade could be inflated by the greater amount of time you may have to do the assignments], so if you can, get a law related job for a year and do the course in one go the next

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2005, 10:04:08 am »
No. You'll be doing the LPC that year. Wher I live most of the 2007 deadlines have passed but up north they may be a little more varied on the deadlines. You want one which starts in September 2008...which means that you may need to wait until January onwards to apply. Find experience now  for next summer if you can and apply next summer, before July 31 ideally, but there will probably be lots of firms in the North West whose 2008 starting deadline extends until the end of 2006 in to 2007. No real rush yet

For me, I will probably have to take a gap year next year. No other option really. However, the majority of people on my LPC course have not yet secured a contract so theres no real need to rush too much. An early start may help, though

Riiight thanks, that makes sense now! Yes northern firms seem to have later deadlines for candidates. I think they realise that a lot of people go down south, get rejected by all and sundry and then go back up north. I think that one of the areas I'm looking to go into might help me a bit as well. Am quite interested in the idea of Mental Health law, Sports law or at a push becoming a criminal solicitor advocate. Still, I've got until Xmas to find myself experience for Easter/Summer and until about July to soound out firms I'd like to work at and apply. I already know one - Hill Dickinson. They like local people, apparently.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2005, 09:05:43 am »
Sign up for tutorials online they say...sure we say...starts on Monday 26th they say, but do they give you a time? Do they bollocks. Gonna be sitting here until I can register and been up since 8 :(

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2005, 10:02:52 am »
Riiight thanks, that makes sense now! Yes northern firms seem to have later deadlines for candidates. I think they realise that a lot of people go down south, get rejected by all and sundry and then go back up north. I think that one of the areas I'm looking to go into might help me a bit as well. Am quite interested in the idea of Mental Health law, Sports law or at a push becoming a criminal solicitor advocate. Still, I've got until Xmas to find myself experience for Easter/Summer and until about July to soound out firms I'd like to work at and apply. I already know one - Hill Dickinson. They like local people, apparently.

Most local firms will prefer local candidates - beware the pretend local firms who are just national firms in Liverpool. They'll probably have a central recruitment approach.

My experience of recruiting (Mangaing Partner of 11 partner, 170 staff Merseyside practice) is to try and look behind the cv. 2:2s aren't discarded - the best lawyers are definitely not the best academics. Regularly it is the opposite.

Look to stand out - better work experience, varied interests, commitment to the law and most of all business acumen score heavily with me.

Good luck.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2005, 10:04:54 am »
I'm trying to further my commitment to the law by signing up for my tutorials...except that Liverpool Uni law dept are shite and want to play guessing games over when they will let us register, preferring to give us a date and not a time. Ive been sittin here for 2 hours waiting to sign up...I've got other things to do today and my bum is going numb :(

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2005, 10:06:41 am »
I'm trying to further my commitment to the law by signing up for my tutorials...except that Liverpool Uni law dept are shite and want to play guessing games over when they will let us register, preferring to give us a date and not a time. Ive been sittin here for 2 hours waiting to sign up...I've got other things to do today and my bum is going numb :(

Cushion?

Comfort eating?
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2005, 10:08:12 am »
lol yeah might go and get a pillow. I'm standing up for the time being...new perspective and all that. I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee trying to stay awake.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2005, 10:12:18 am »
lol yeah might go and get a pillow. I'm standing up for the time being...new perspective and all that. I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee trying to stay awake.

Another tip about training contracts is the local Liverpool Law Society. - Based in the basement of Castle Chambers on Castle Street.

They've got a website too.

http://www.liverpoollawsociety.org.uk/home/about.php
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2005, 10:23:14 am »
ooh thanks for that :)

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2005, 10:24:55 am »
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2005, 11:01:39 am »
3 fecking hours I've been waiting now...this is beyond a joke. Last year they screwed up so we could sign up 24hrs early, this year we can't sign up at all. I've got better things to do than sit around waiting for them to get their arses in gear and sort this out. I've books to buy, cheques to pay in, work to do and a job to find and yet I'm stuck here waiting for the Law IT department to pull its fucking finger out.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2005, 11:31:21 am »
3 1/2 hours and still nothing.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2005, 11:51:12 am »
If you fancy being a solicitor-advocate get used to the waiting round.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2005, 12:01:00 pm »
lol true...good point. It's not the waiting around that bothers me, it's the incompetence. "Tutorials will be availale for selection from Monday 26th" - well that's today, but when today? At least if I was sitting around as an SA I'd be getting paid for it.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2005, 12:04:05 pm »
About Ł40 per hour on CLS rates.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2005, 12:44:06 pm »
That's Ł40 more than I'm getting paid right now!

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2005, 12:46:42 pm »
You don't get that - the Ł40 goes to your firm to cover overheads - premises, secretarial staff, insurance, telephones, stationery etc

And of course, you.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2005, 02:13:20 pm »
Yes, but I'd still be getting paid! I'd have a salary! I'm getting all these emails from lecturers telling me that my tutorial sheets are ready for collection from such and such a place...well that's nice, but I've yet to be able to sign up to a tutorial to use them in!

Offline lloydiethe1st

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2005, 09:41:38 pm »
I'm going on the open day tomorrow. It seems to be a pain in the arse as there's loads of different talks going on about various things which I need to go to because I haven't got a clue about any of this University shit.

Anybody got any tips about Uni related things?
"Djimi gives us another dimension, we're just not sure of what that dimension is!"

"If some laboratory ever tried to invent the perfect football fan, they'd struggle to better what I've seen at Liverpool."

http://HDTV.Giveaway.co.uk/index.php?referral=204117

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2005, 10:26:42 pm »
We're having an open day tomorrow? Didn't know about that one!

Go to the talks held by the department you want to study in.
Go to a finance talk about tuition fees, loans and payment because all that is changing as of next years entry.
Go on a Halls tour.

Offline Boston_Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2005, 02:00:53 am »
I asked for information sent to my house  in the states, I can't wait for it to come.  Any informaton about the MBA School is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2005, 06:05:20 pm »
I asked for information sent to my house  in the states, I can't wait for it to come.  Any informaton about the MBA School is much appreciated.  Thanks!

What's an MBA?

Offline Mark.

• Kopite
  • Robbie is God
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2005, 07:08:48 pm »
I went to the Open Day today and I was really impressed. Courses i'm looking at are a combined honours science degree, doing both business studies and geography. Other possible degree would be Geography for management, which again, really appeals.

The accomodation looks great, set in really nice locations of Liverpool and the ease with which you can get around is impressive. People were really great today too.

What are the sort of good student bars in the area? Are they in the city centre?

Offline Boston_Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2005, 01:57:25 am »
What's an MBA?
Masters of Business

MArk, good to know you were impressed; I wish it was easy for me to get person/person information like you! Hopefully when I catch a match soon Ill be able to meet someone.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2005, 05:12:23 pm »
I went to the Open Day today and I was really impressed. Courses i'm looking at are a combined honours science degree, doing both business studies and geography. Other possible degree would be Geography for management, which again, really appeals.

The accomodation looks great, set in really nice locations of Liverpool and the ease with which you can get around is impressive. People were really great today too.

What are the sort of good student bars in the area? Are they in the city centre?

Did they show you the lovely, wooden floored, big rooms in Greenbank or did they actually take you to Carnatic and show you the room you'll most likely get?

There's a bar each at Greenbank and Carnatic, and other than the ones in the guild there are no "student only" bars, but most places in Liverpool have student only nights.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2005, 05:15:17 pm »
Geography for management, which again, really appeals.

That's what I do. :wave

At Liverpool. Need anything, give us a shout.

Offline Mark.

• Kopite
  • Robbie is God
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2005, 06:57:37 pm »
Masters of Business

MArk, good to know you were impressed; I wish it was easy for me to get person/person information like you! Hopefully when I catch a match soon Ill be able to meet someone.

If you ever need any information on what it's like just give us a shout. When you're next up you could probably be able to organise a campus tour of the University, which I hear are very useful also.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2005, 11:39:36 pm »
English course, if anyone does it. Good? :)
My mate is on it and says its good - he's thought of stuff in different ways than earlier apparently

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2005, 11:40:40 pm »

http://www.liv.ac.uk/management/postgraduate/postgraduate.htm - some info there for ya

Offline Boston_Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2005, 05:54:30 pm »
http://www.liv.ac.uk/management/postgraduate/postgraduate.htm - some info there for ya
Thanks a lot...I hope to apply soon.  Any more information is much appreciated, especially male/female ratio!

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2005, 07:55:38 pm »
Thanks a lot...I hope to apply soon.  Any more information is much appreciated, especially male/female ratio!

doing economics undergrad degree here - in 3 years I can count the number of 7+ out of 10s I have seen in my lectures on two hands!

Offline Boston_Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2005, 02:45:51 am »
doing economics undergrad degree here - in 3 years I can count the number of 7+ out of 10s I have seen in my lectures on two hands!
That is not good however I shall seek them out.  I'll attend some women study classes!  Are you in with me?

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2005, 08:14:47 pm »
That is not good however I shall seek them out.  I'll attend some women study classes!  Are you in with me?

you doing it next year? I maybe doing a masters, depends on whether I can get a job or not!

Offline Boston_Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2005, 11:26:43 pm »
you doing it next year? I maybe doing a masters, depends on whether I can get a job or not!
Not sure yet, it depends if I can get my act together quickly and if I can save up enough money!