Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3470933 times)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #45520 on: June 12, 2017, 10:41:19 am »
X Men Apocalypse - 7.5/10 - Hadn't got around to watching this. Really enjoyed it, possibly because my expectations were fairly low based on reviews and the lack of hype surrounding it. Thought the villain was actually quite a convincing one which makes a change for Marvel/DC films.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:51:38 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45521 on: June 12, 2017, 09:59:57 pm »
I enjoyed 11.55 which is a sort of modern urban High Noon. Set on the mean streets of Newburgh

like the review below mentions it has a great soundtrack too 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/H3WYse6XfCQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/H3WYse6XfCQ</a>

New York Times Review

Review: In ‘11:55,’ a Marine Returns Home to Another War
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/08/movies/1155-review.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:14:15 pm by kavah »

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #45522 on: June 12, 2017, 10:41:01 pm »
Power Rangers 2017 HDRip XviD AC3-EVO

Power Rangers 2017 720p WEB-DL X264 AC3-EVO

Power Rangers 2017 1080p WEB-DL H264 AC3-EVO

Chips 2017 720p BluRay x264-DRONES
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #45523 on: June 12, 2017, 11:07:18 pm »
Life was rather shit I reckon. You'd think Gylenhal would maybe save it but with such premise and plot...nope.
I kind of agree, I watched it last night & it felt like I'd seen it before! So predictable too.  :-\
Now I can't remember if it was recommended from here or not but Infini is a brilliant Sci-Fi & its a budget one at that, well worth a watch    ;)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45524 on: June 13, 2017, 09:24:38 am »
Batman v Superman - 7/10 - Again, like X Men, think my expectations were low going into it. I actually ended up watching the director's cut by accident I think, leaving me rather tired this morning as it was a whopping three hours long, but from what I've read the extra half hour makes a big difference in terms of the plot flowing better. Have to say it was incredibly long but it's an undoubtedly epic film, my main gripe being Jesse Eisenburg just does not make a convincing Lex Luthor but we'll see how he does in Justice League.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #45525 on: June 13, 2017, 09:32:30 am »
Life was rather shit I reckon. You'd think Gylenhal would maybe save it but with such premise and plot...nope.
I kind of agree, I watched it last night & it felt like I'd seen it before! So predictable too.  :-\
Now I can't remember if it was recommended from here or not but Infini is a brilliant Sci-Fi & its a budget one at that, well worth a watch    ;)
"Life's what you make it."  8)

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #45526 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:10 am »
I was looking at the top ten films in Japan yesterday and I saw that the remake of Confession of a Murder was number one. If you can find it the original Korean film is well worth a look. It's story is about a killer, Lee Du-seok who publishes an autobiography describing murders he committed after the statute of limitations expires. A detective and one of the victim's mothers search for the author while another killer begins a spree of murders.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SyjWMNzMUPw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SyjWMNzMUPw</a>

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #45527 on: June 13, 2017, 03:48:59 pm »
Sydney Film Festival time

Quick reviews of the 8 I've seen so far, 9 to go.

Ikiru: Has not aged well. I think Kurosawa was probably quite a bit more indulgent in the middle act than he could have been. Still a wonderful movie, but maybe hasn't stood the test of time as well as some of his others. 3.5/5

A Quiet Dream: A Chinese-Korean bar owner/caretaker of father in vegetative state engages in an hour and a half of shoegazing with her three lovable loser friends/admirers. I use the word 'lovable' loosely. Not so much pretentious as feeble in substance. 2/5

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail: As a Chinese-Australian, it was a special experience to see a documentary talk about discrimination against Chinese people, and Chinese people stand up for themselves. It's something that they don't do especially well or often, being all about avoiding confrontation and getting on with life. Steve James, who directed Hoop Dreams, delivers maybe the best movie about the overseas Chinese community yet. 4.5/5

Happy End: It's fairly standard Haneke fair, with the banality of evil lurking beneath the surface of everyday (albeit upper class) life. I didn't realise how far below the surface until after the movie though, because the person responsible for subtitles for the movie made the dreadful error of using white subtitles in a critical early scene, on a white background. I missed some important information which turned out to change the meaning of the whole movie. Isabelle Huppert is a tour de force. This wasn't her greatest role, but she's just in so many goddamn good movies seemingly every year. I've probably seen more quality movies with her than any other actress in the last few years, and she only appears in European movies. 4/5

The Hidden Fortress: Some of the set pieces in this Kurosawa samurai epic, famously an inspiration for Star Wars, were tremendous. One scene in particular, in which a horde of slaves pour down the stairs of a castle, is as perfectly conceived and executed as anything I've ever seen. I doubt if 9999 out of 10000 directors with the benefit of today's technology could create something half as good. But again, I think the film suffers from being a little too indulgent at various parts, including Return of the King Syndrome at the end, where it could have ended several scenes earlier. I can see why Kurosawa was famous for running over budget. 4/5

Yojimbo: Maybe the most fun I've had at a Kurosawa movie. Toshiro Mifune is so freakin cool. You can see the influence in Italian (A Fistful of Dollars and the whole trilogy really) and French (Le Samourai) movies later on in the decade. The opening scenes are almost uncharacteristically funky from Kurosawa, like he'd just traveled back from the near future and seen the age of disco. Very satisfying. 4.5/5

I Am Not Your Negro: Race relations in America, as narrated (by Samuel L Jackson) through James Baldwin's notes on an unfinished project about the lives and deaths of his three friends, Medgar Evers, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr. I'm reading Ta-Nehisi Coates's Between the World and Me at the same time, and this documentary seems to touch on some similar themes. It appears Coates has picked up the torch left by Baldwin, who challenged America to consider why the concept of the "negro" exists. It's a beautifully constructed film intercut with footage of Baldwin and other civil rights leaders, films as well as photos and footage from more recent racial conflagrations. Great, and timely. 4.5/5

A Ghost Story: At one point in this movie, a white sheet covered ghost, played by Casey Affleck, stands motionlessly watching his still living wife, Rooney Mara, eat a whole pie. The scene lasts about 5 minutes. A tenth of the nearly full cinema look their leave after 3. I think having seen other glacial paced films (I'm looking at you, Tsai Ming-Liang and Hou Hsiao-Hsien) prepared me well for the battle that was this film. In the end, the pacing was not so much the issue as was the fact that for all the tedium of the journey, A Ghost Story never had a destination it ultimately wanted to go. An exercise in indie indulgence. 2/5.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #45528 on: June 14, 2017, 12:27:53 am »
Theater watches in the past few weeks ;

Wonder Woman
Very entertaining, but definitely had some flaws. A few important plot points didn't really work or at least weren't explained well, no supporting characters were given any significant character development or even fleshed out at all, and Gal Gadot is a stunning woman but not a strong actress imo. Most of the action was shot well though and a couple of the fight scenes were brilliant. All in all a significant step up from the previous couple of DC films.
7/10

The Mummy
The most interesting scenes in this film were the ones setting up the "Dark Universe". The rest was just a half-assed Tom Cruise action flick with some undead folks and a completely forgettable love interest type character. Jake Johnson was slightly funny at times though, a bit like in Jurassic World.
Overall a lackluster action adventure which banked on having a couple of movie stars in it rather than a good and well executed story.
4/10

Pirates 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Jack Sparrow has become a run-of-the-mill drunkard. Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly makes an appearance. Gareth from The Office did not.
3/10

Alien: Covenant
Follow up to Prometheus (which I've liked more after a couple of rewatches). Spaceship crew in the future explores extrasolar planet. Meets alien. Liked it a bit, but wasn't a fan of one important plot point explained in the film. Michael Fassbender is pretty neat. Danny McBride was suprisingly good in it too. Overall I didn't like it as much as I now like Prometheus, but I suspect over time I will, like Prometheus, enjoy it more after a few rewatches.
6/10

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Different. Entertaining. I liked that they went with an action/fantasy blend vibe, but the execution of it was a bit hit and miss for me (and I would prefer leaning even more towards the fantasy part). Mostly well acted, and the action looked mostly good. Overall not a bad way to spend 2 hours and a can of popcorn.
6/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Weaker story than the first, and altough there are more jokes (or at least it seemed that way) they were hit and miss and more misses than the first film. A few of the scenes in the third act were better than anything in the first film though, and some new characters makes for some interesting possibilities for the future of the cosmic MCU. The soundtrack was good, but again not as good as the one in the first film imo. Overall a funny, and at times emotionally satisfying film.
7.5/10

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #45529 on: June 14, 2017, 09:52:11 am »
After the shit storm following Neegan using "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" to select his victim in TWD, felt really odd to hear it being used in the children's film Power Rangers. Especially when the person "selected" by the rhyme was actually black.

Surprised this hasn't been picked up on/jumped on by the media.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #45530 on: June 14, 2017, 10:59:21 am »
I watched Chips remake/homage/reboot last night.  I really enjoyed it, yes it was stupid but a good cast and flimsy plot, perfect kind of turn off your brain and watch

Michael Pena acting as wise cracking Michael Pena is always good for me
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45531 on: June 15, 2017, 06:45:20 am »
Spotlight - It was a pretty solid film but it left me a bit underwhelmed. I get that the film was more about the role of the journos who broke the story. However, I think that this sort of story is best told in documentary feature film format. I watched a documentary a few years back called Deliver us from evil, which focuses more on the victims and the criminals involved. That was an incredibly intense film, hard to watch at times, and it had more of an impact in my opinion.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45532 on: June 17, 2017, 03:41:28 am »
Sydney Film Festival time

Quick reviews of the 8 I've seen so far, 9 to go.

They're doing the "Essential Kurosawa" there aren't they?

I found out about it halfway through when it was just here in Melbourne at ACMI. Missed 5 of the films. Still got to see Ran, Rashomon, and Kagemusha. But I was shattered I missed the chance to see Seven Samurai and Throne of Blood on the big screen.

I have heard about that scene in "A Ghost Story". God that sounds terrible.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline DadsRedArmy

• from Thetford
  • Anny Roader
  • Top 2 this season
« Reply #45533 on: June 17, 2017, 10:25:29 am »

I really enjoyed Life, yes it was predictable I agree, but one of the better films ive seen this year imo
now going to watch Infini  :D thanks for the heads up

Online DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45534 on: June 18, 2017, 01:00:57 am »
It Comes At Night is a fantastic suspense thriller/horror.

I haven't seen Joel Edgerton in many movies but he gets better every time I do.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #45535 on: June 18, 2017, 10:58:59 am »
Watched yesterday Contratiempo. Really, really good. Bit of a sucker for that kind of movie but on the other hand it could go easily south if the execution lacks. It didn't in this case. Far from it.

Keeps your interest about what is going to happen next and knows when to trick the viewer. Nice twists and not for the sake of them in order to lose their importance and gravitas. Nice balance struck between narration and real time dialogue and finally dig it for the tiny Prestige vibes it gave me.

Would definitely recommend it to those who haven't watched it yet.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #45536 on: June 18, 2017, 11:04:20 am »
I watched the new Power Ranger film last night thought I was going to hate it, but it was good fun and I enjoyed it.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45537 on: June 18, 2017, 02:24:19 pm »
It Comes At Night is a fantastic suspense thriller/horror.

I haven't seen Joel Edgerton in many movies but he gets better every time I do.

Is it available to watch online?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45538 on: June 18, 2017, 02:40:48 pm »
They're doing the "Essential Kurosawa" there aren't they?

I found out about it halfway through when it was just here in Melbourne at ACMI. Missed 5 of the films. Still got to see Ran, Rashomon, and Kagemusha. But I was shattered I missed the chance to see Seven Samurai and Throne of Blood on the big screen.

I have heard about that scene in "A Ghost Story". God that sounds terrible.

Yup, that's the one.

I'll also be seeing Seven Samurai, Kagemusha and Rashomon, but the only one I desperately want to see is Ran, and I've missed out on it. Don't know when I'll get another chance :(

In other news, quick rundown of the rest of my festival:

Brilliant: On Body and Soul,
Very good: The Party, In the Fade, Wind River
Good: Ingrid Goes West, The Beguiled
Mediocre: Maliglutit, Pop Aye, Risk

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45539 on: June 19, 2017, 06:36:04 am »
Yup, that's the one.

I'll also be seeing Seven Samurai, Kagemusha and Rashomon, but the only one I desperately want to see is Ran, and I've missed out on it. Don't know when I'll get another chance :(

In other news, quick rundown of the rest of my festival:

Brilliant: On Body and Soul,
Very good: The Party, In the Fade, Wind River
Good: Ingrid Goes West, The Beguiled
Mediocre: Maliglutit, Pop Aye, Risk

Ran is really incredible. Below might be slight spolers...

Spoiler
The first hour is a drag, but once Lady Kaede really enters the show, it finds its rhythm and really is a captivating spectacle. I suffered a bit from the marketing I think - there's a trailer for it which portrays it as an action packed epic. There is some action, but far more of the runtime is a character study and a story of power and revenge than an action epic.
[close]
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #45540 on: June 19, 2017, 06:16:07 pm »
Watched CHIPS lat night...fuckin loved it!!!

Online DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45541 on: June 20, 2017, 02:36:41 am »
Is it available to watch online?

Not that I know of. I saw it in the cinema, but looks like it's not out in the UK til the start of July.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45542 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:50 am »
Watched Free Fire last night, thought it was a decent flick, funnier than I thought it would be. I couldn't stop thinking of Larry David's mob boss in that Curb episode everytime Vern was on the screen though ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:21:35 am by Bunter »

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #45543 on: June 20, 2017, 09:05:05 am »
Watched CHIPS lat night...fuckin loved it!!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #45544 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:07 am »
Watched Free Fire last night, thought it was a decent flick, funnier than I thought it would be. I couldn't stop thinking of Larry David's mob boss in that Curb episode everytime Vern was on the screen though ;D

Thought it would be better after reading a couple of posts here and elsewhere. Wasn't bad though and I liked the ending and the bad marksmanship  :) . The whole humor element that was inserted in the film thought it was a bit shoehorned.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45545 on: June 20, 2017, 11:31:38 am »
X Men Apocalypse - 7.5/10 - Hadn't got around to watching this. Really enjoyed it, possibly because my expectations were fairly low based on reviews and the lack of hype surrounding it. Thought the villain was actually quite a convincing one which makes a change for Marvel/DC films.

Might give this a whirl then, just noticed it on my Now TV free month list.

X Men has generally been the only Marvel films I can be be bothered with, but like you the bad reviews put me off going to the flicks to watch it.

p.s How can you say say DC films don't have convincing villains?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45546 on: June 20, 2017, 12:56:32 pm »

p.s How can you say say DC films don't have convincing villains?

Batman aside I should have said  :)

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45547 on: June 20, 2017, 12:59:30 pm »
Batman aside I should have said  :)

That's better  ;)

Offline emrolfc

• Kemlynite
  • i have a good mentality
« Reply #45548 on: June 20, 2017, 02:18:07 pm »
Highly recommend watching Neil Blomkamp's latest sci-fi project. It's a three-volume story by his OATS studio, and the first part's just been released on Youtube. It's called Rakka!

Offline emrolfc

• Kemlynite
  • i have a good mentality
« Reply #45549 on: June 20, 2017, 02:47:58 pm »
Theater watches in the past few weeks ;

Wonder Woman
Very entertaining, but definitely had some flaws. A few important plot points didn't really work or at least weren't explained well, no supporting characters were given any significant character development or even fleshed out at all, and Gal Gadot is a stunning woman but not a strong actress imo. Most of the action was shot well though and a couple of the fight scenes were brilliant. All in all a significant step up from the previous couple of DC films.
7/10

The Mummy
The most interesting scenes in this film were the ones setting up the "Dark Universe". The rest was just a half-assed Tom Cruise action flick with some undead folks and a completely forgettable love interest type character. Jake Johnson was slightly funny at times though, a bit like in Jurassic World.
Overall a lackluster action adventure which banked on having a couple of movie stars in it rather than a good and well executed story.
4/10

Pirates 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Jack Sparrow has become a run-of-the-mill drunkard. Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly makes an appearance. Gareth from The Office did not.
3/10

Alien: Covenant
Follow up to Prometheus (which I've liked more after a couple of rewatches). Spaceship crew in the future explores extrasolar planet. Meets alien. Liked it a bit, but wasn't a fan of one important plot point explained in the film. Michael Fassbender is pretty neat. Danny McBride was suprisingly good in it too. Overall I didn't like it as much as I now like Prometheus, but I suspect over time I will, like Prometheus, enjoy it more after a few rewatches.
6/10

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Different. Entertaining. I liked that they went with an action/fantasy blend vibe, but the execution of it was a bit hit and miss for me (and I would prefer leaning even more towards the fantasy part). Mostly well acted, and the action looked mostly good. Overall not a bad way to spend 2 hours and a can of popcorn.
6/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Weaker story than the first, and altough there are more jokes (or at least it seemed that way) they were hit and miss and more misses than the first film. A few of the scenes in the third act were better than anything in the first film though, and some new characters makes for some interesting possibilities for the future of the cosmic MCU. The soundtrack was good, but again not as good as the one in the first film imo. Overall a funny, and at times emotionally satisfying film.
7.5/10
That's pretty much everything I've seen too. Got to say I mostly agree with you on everything. I also found The Prometheus better on second watching and I'm sure that's gonna be the case with the Covenant as well
Gal Gadot was gorgeous as a WW but the film had some serious flaws as you put it but purely because of her stuningness gets that 7/10.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #45550 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:33 pm »
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa?
Oh yeah. I dug the....childish humour. The dynamic between the two leads was spot on..really funny. It can't always be Giallo, foreign films...Blaxploitation, little indies...sometimes the lowest common denominator works just as well.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #45551 on: June 20, 2017, 09:22:47 pm »
Variety is reporting that Daniel Day Lewis is retiring from acting. His last role is in the Paul Thomas Anderson movie out this Christmas.

Three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis, widely considered one of the preeminent actors of his generation, is retiring from acting, Variety has learned.

The 60-year-old star, who has played presidents, writers, and gang leaders in a career that has spanned four decades, has one final film awaiting release, an untitled drama set in the world of high fashion. It is scheduled to hit theaters on December 25, 2017 and reunites him with Paul Thomas Anderson, who directed Day-Lewis to a best actor Oscar in 2007’s “There Will Be Blood.” Day-Lewis intends to help promote the movie, according to a person familiar with his plans.

He did not give a reason for his retirement. In a statement, Day-Lewis’ spokeswoman, Leslee Dart, confirmed the news: “Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor. He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject. ”

Day-Lewis is the only performer to ever win three best actor Oscars. They came for the title role in Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln,” for his turn as a rapacious oil man in “There Will Be Blood,” and for his performance as writer and artist Christy Brown in “My Left Foot.” He earned two other Academy Award nominations for “Gangs of New York” and “In the Name of the Father.”

Day-Lewis has been praised for his shape-shifting acting and versatility. He is known for going to extreme lengths for his performances, frequently remaining in character off-screen. He has also starred in musicals (“Nine”), adventure epics (“The Last of the Mohicans“), and period dramas (“The Age of Innocence”).

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #45552 on: June 20, 2017, 09:55:52 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_9k6Mf-FfXQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_9k6Mf-FfXQ</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UdddIJd3bLc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UdddIJd3bLc</a>

Great man in a penalty shoot out too

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6ptHxStQJyg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6ptHxStQJyg</a>

But the Last of the Mohicans is as perfect a film as you're likely to see. Acting, directing, story, cinematography, score, editing - all incredible. Well worth living in the mountains for a year for that performance

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SQc7C4Ug96M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SQc7C4Ug96M</a>
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:07:21 pm by Ray K »

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45553 on: June 20, 2017, 11:12:33 pm »
Short Sci fi film by Neil Blomkamp,starring Sigourney Weaver.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VjQ2t_yNHQs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VjQ2t_yNHQs</a>
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:19:08 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #45554 on: June 20, 2017, 11:33:01 pm »
Did the New Power Rangers film have the first openly gay super hero?
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45555 on: June 21, 2017, 02:13:36 am »
Variety is reporting that Daniel Day Lewis is retiring from acting. His last role is in the Paul Thomas Anderson movie out this Christmas.

I seriously doubt it'll be his last role.

All these movie industry types retire for a few years and then come back.

Woody Allen retired from acting in Scoop and came back in To Rome with Love and Fading Gigolo. Steven Soderbergh retired from directing for a whopping 4 years after Side Effects before returning for Logan Lucky. Miyazaki retired after Spirited Away, then made three more movies before retiring again. He's now coming out of retirement to make yet another movie.

There are some exceptions but I think so long as they remain alive healthy they'll come back. Hopefully Daniel is healthy and has many films left to come.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #45556 on: June 21, 2017, 06:41:49 am »
Did the New Power Rangers film have the first openly gay super hero?
Depends on your interpretation of Joel Schumacher's Batman.  ;D

Finally watched Frankenhooker. I had only heard good things and known about it forever, but never got around to it until I saw it was on TV this week. Loved it.

With a completely different tone, saw Billy Wilder's Lost Weekend recently. Incredibly depressing and still felt hopeless for Milland at the end.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #45557 on: June 21, 2017, 09:06:57 am »
Oh yeah. I dug the....childish humour. The dynamic between the two leads was spot on..really funny. It can't always be Giallo, foreign films...Blaxploitation, little indies...sometimes the lowest common denominator works just as well.

ok, will give it a go lol

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #45558 on: June 21, 2017, 09:21:02 am »
ok, will give it a go lol
I'll also admit to wanting to see Baywatch. ;D

I did re-watch Colossal and I Am A Hero last night. Both are worth a watch...Colossal is a clever little film that I'm still impressed by. It's fun and horrific..and the horror comes not from the monster but from the human protagonists in this indie. I think that this is head and shoulders above any of the monster films released this year...yes King Kong, you. ;D But, it's not really monster film....it's a bizarre Kaiju Film that is about a persons fears and worries rather than an eco take.

IAAH is a decent take on the Zombie genre. I've not read the Manga it is based on but I thought the film was really good...way over the top and fun too....with an ending that John Woo would be proud of.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #45559 on: June 21, 2017, 10:55:50 am »
I seriously doubt it'll be his last role.

I think he's serious about it.  He never really struck me as a 'jobbing' actor (only 6 films this century), and after he had a near-breakdown playing Hamlet on stage he swore he'd never do theatre again, and he's stuck to it.
I think he'd make an exception if his wife wanted him in one of her films though.

Fair play to him if he just wants to kick back and enjoy life. I think he loves the quiet life in County Wicklow and he's done a lot of work for the community there.