Author Topic: Call of Duty WWII - Released November 2017  (Read 34749 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Call of Duty WWII - Released November 2017
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 11:05:17 pm »
MOHAA was better.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2017, 06:09:10 am »

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2017, 03:42:21 pm »
Got so many good memories of playing World At War with my mates. Hopefully this has a similar feel to it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:48:00 pm by bailey90 »
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 04:15:02 pm »
My favourite has always been Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I'd played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare but only the single player campaign. The sequel is where MP kicked off for me and I went crackers for it.

I'm sure technically there have been better COD games but I've never had so much fun with FPS MP games!

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 05:03:07 pm »
I'm hoping for some classic maps from the original CoD. Dawnville/Carentan/Brecourt, yes please. Foy from UO would be incredible too.

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2017, 05:21:09 pm »
Apparently you don't regenerate health in the single player and have to call for a medic, call for ammo e.t.c

That will be a nice touch.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2017, 05:29:02 pm »
MOHAA was better.

Going in on the beach on the hardest difficulty was the best bit

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2017, 06:45:46 pm »
Apparently you don't regenerate health in the single player and have to call for a medic, call for ammo e.t.c

That will be a nice touch.

Just about to say that just been watching this video, He said one of the MP parts is called war with rumors of up to 48 players.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O91NZtalJTw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O91NZtalJTw</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2017, 02:47:08 am »
I was reading that the game will not shy away from the horrors of the Holocaust.

Now we have Call of Duty: WWII coming in November. Sledgehammer Games is taking the blockbuster series back to its roots in this year's release. But can the studio realistically do so without touching on Nazi atrocities? Would it even want to?

"We didn't want to shy away from history. We wanted to be very respectful of it," senior creative director Bret Robbins said during a recent interview.

"Some very, very dark things happened during this conflict and it felt wrong for us to ignore that."

It's not just a matter of accepting the reality of the Holocaust. The game's 1940s setting is rife with intolerance, from the open hostility of Nazi atrocities to the more insidious reality of living in the "free world" before the Civil Rights movements of the '60s.

"Unfortunately, there was anti-Semitism," Robbins said. "There was racism. It's actually a very big part of our story, the fact that that stuff existed, it was real, and our characters deal with it."

It's even there in your own platoon. The main character's best friend is a fellow rookie soldier named Zussman; he's a Jew from the south side of Chicago and someone Robbins describes as a "fun" character.

"Right out of the gate we tackle the fact head-on that not everyone in the squad is comfortable with the fact that he's Jewish. And that was just a reality of the time. This is something this character has had to deal with his entire life," Robbins said.

That squad-level intolerance comes up again at a later point in the story, after you link up with a group of black American soldiers. As is the case with Zussman, the game doesn't gloss over the fact that some of your fellow soldiers aren't OK with this.

"We make it a story piece. It sort of elevates [the characters], in a way, to overcome this institutional thinking."

Against a narrative backdrop like this, the Holocaust becomes impossible to ignore.

"We absolutely show atrocities," Robbins said. "It's an unfortunate part of the history, but ... you can't tell an authentic, truthful story without going there. So we went there."

Robbins referenced the Band of Brothers episode "Why We Fight" here. American soldiers during WWII arrived in Europe without knowing the extent of Nazi atrocities. The episode in question follows one such squad as they discover their first concentration camp.

There are some thematic parallels here with what we do know of Call of Duty: WWII. Ronald "Red" Daniels heads off to Europe as a starry-eyed private who hopes to come home a war hero. It's only after he's confronted with the grim reality of war that that perspective changes.

One question lingers: why now? If World War II-set games have traditionally shied away from heavier topics, what makes it OK for Call of Duty — a series that is known for its gratuitous action — to now go there?

"I think video games are growing up," Robbins said. "15 years ago, there wasn't that expectation that you could tell a mature story. And in fact, there wasn't even a motivation to do that, really. It was much more about gameplay and new graphics and everything else."

There's been a shift in recent years, however. There's a bigger appetite for mature stories. It's partially a product of technology: performance capture allows for a more nuanced range of emotions from virtual actors. But that's not all.

"I just feel like the audience expectations and the maturity have changed," Robbins said. "I know when I ... play a great single player game and I want a great story, it's no longer enough just to have it be very surface-level and simple. I want something deeper and more complex, just like I do out of the movies I watch.

"So it's just maturity, I think. People are ready for it. They want it."

http://mashable.com/2017/04/26/call-of-duty-wwii-holocaust-interview/#ad3VJDIL6iq1

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2017, 08:03:59 am »
I wonder how they will deal with the Holocaust, maybe when you liberate a town its has a concentration  camp near by  and then you get a cut scene of real footage of the camp being  liberated during the war, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2017, 08:10:37 am »
I wonder how they will deal with the Holocaust, maybe when you liberate a town its has a concentration  camp near by  and then you get a cut scene of real footage of the camp being  liberated during the war, I guess we will have to wait and see.
I highly doubt it. They have been making these games for kids for the last couple of years. It's all about money and if 12-16 year olds can't play the game, they lose money.
Would have been nice, though! I loved the dark and gritty atmosphere in COD WAW.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2017, 08:17:21 am »
I highly doubt it. They have been making these games for kids for the last couple of years. It's all about money and if 12-16 year olds can't play the game, they lose money.
Would have been nice, though! I loved the dark and gritty atmosphere in COD WAW.

The game has a 18 rating.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 10:07:41 am »
Has the engine been updated since Modern Warfare?

Personally just prefer Battlefield, destructible environments just makes every MP match feel unique.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2017, 10:17:33 am »
The game has a 18 rating.
Sure. But it's obvious that they have been targeting kids/youth the last couple of years. Less or no gore, bright colours, over the top killstreaks, character customization, callsigns/calling cards, supply drops etc...From my point of view.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2017, 11:42:12 am »

Personally just prefer Battlefield, destructible environments just makes every MP match feel unique.
They must of updated it mate, they can't keep rolling out the same non destructible 30fps one from before. I don't know which one they used for the modern warfare update but even that wasn't cut it when u see how well the battlefield1 engine worked.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 12:11:33 pm »
They must of updated it mate, they can't keep rolling out the same non destructible 30fps one from before. I don't know which one they used for the modern warfare update but even that wasn't cut it when u see how well the battlefield1 engine worked.

Cod has never been 30fps afaik

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2017, 10:13:34 am »

Me too. Downloaded the COD remaster and loved it as my first FPS experience. But then realised it was a very limited game.

Picked up BF4 on the cheap and haven't played COD since. Prefer the bigger maps, destructible environments and the fact that even though I can't shoot for shit there's reward in helping your team.

Offline Chronic

• Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be heroes.
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2017, 06:59:54 am »
Sure. But it's obvious that they have been targeting kids/youth the last couple of years. Less or no gore, bright colours, over the top killstreaks, character customization, callsigns/calling cards, supply drops etc...From my point of view.

I learnt about and was shown videos of the ww2 camps in year 7, so age 11/12 and that was 20 years ago.

Kids these days are much more desensitised to stuff like that.
Loves getting pissed and shagging brasses

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2017, 07:46:27 am »
...the irritating way they make the game harder on higher difficulties...

???

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2017, 01:34:10 pm »
???

Haha, I can see why that might sound daft when read back, what I meant is the approach they take to the higher difficulties. They could make the AI more tactical, larger in number, have better weapons, etc. Instead they really lazily give them inhuman shooting accuracy and the ability to toss grenades from cover and have them land at your feet, to the point where they often explode almost as soon as they land. The awful hit feedback means that the game becomes really frustrating to play on the harder difficulties, as you're forced to just sit in cover, pop out and fire, wait to heal, fire, wait to heal, fire, and on and on. They haven't really moved forwards since the earlier games and feel really dated now, unlike Battlefield which is constantly being iterated on.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2017, 02:45:17 pm »
No swastikas in this one apparently, why are some people so concerned with censoring history? Don't they realise how dangerous that is?
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2017, 03:13:26 pm »
No swastikas in this one apparently, why are some people so concerned with censoring history? Don't they realise how dangerous that is?

Don't think Wolfenstein will follow that approach.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2017, 04:09:55 pm »
That's not even trying to be factually accurate so they'd have an excuse for doing that. Sets a precedent stuff like that though, if you censor it people will forget about it, if they forget about it then it can happen again.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2017, 05:09:43 pm »
Looks like they are using the Iron cross or maybe thats in some countries.

Beta starts on 25th August for PS4.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4md9QzoNfZc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4md9QzoNfZc</a>
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:19:18 pm by Trada »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2017, 09:54:30 pm »
Do away with perks and killstreaks and just go back to good maps and guns

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2017, 09:58:19 pm »
Lots of MP gameplay floating about now. Looks unsurprisingly like World At War to me, which is no bad thing, I loved that.

Looks like they've ripped off an Operations mode from BF and I heard someone mention something about the end of game killcam being replaced by something different. Dunno what it is, but it'll most likely be an Overwatch Play Of The Game rip off.
AHA!

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2017, 10:22:42 pm »
Looks fun can't wait until the Beta.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2017, 09:27:51 am »

The reason to leave the swastika out of COD would be legal/censorship concerns, with it being banned from being shown in certain countries such as - unsuprisingly - Germany.  Wolfenstein actually has two trailers and -one would assume - versions of the game.  One with and one without the swastika for the different markets.  Compare at 3:20...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHht8480cEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edxvYKW7TtA

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2017, 01:44:21 pm »

Looks like they've ripped off an Operations mode from BF

That won't work well as COD doesn't really reward or encourage teamwork.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2017, 04:56:51 pm »
There's just something about the Sledgehammer / Raven / new Infinity Ward engine and game mechanics that feels....off.  I can't put my finger on what it is - whether it's the movement, the graphics, the sound (they're reusing the same horrible loud hitmarker sound in COD WW2 that they've used in Advanced Warfare, Infinite Warfare MW Remastered games!  :no)

It just doesn't "feel" like COD to me, unlike the older CODs and Treyarch's CODs.  I can't explain it!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2017, 05:45:21 pm »
MP-40 to be the best gun again like World At War?
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Kuks

• ugare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2017, 05:13:11 am »
There's just something about the Sledgehammer / Raven / new Infinity Ward engine and game mechanics that feels....off.  I can't put my finger on what it is - whether it's the movement, the graphics, the sound (they're reusing the same horrible loud hitmarker sound in COD WW2 that they've used in Advanced Warfare, Infinite Warfare MW Remastered games!  :no)

It just doesn't "feel" like COD to me, unlike the older CODs and Treyarch's CODs.  I can't explain it!

They changed the netcode somewhere around MW3 which changed hit detection and it made a big difference. Also they changed their map design / spawn point system massively the same time. Instead of channel maps where it's a rectangle with 3 distinct channels running through and points overlooking them, they made them way more clusterfucky. It encouraged more fast paced play but it meant that you couldn't have those mad games where you went 70-5 on demolition/ domination just getting your kill streaks over and over again. It fundamentally changed the way COD worked for many people

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2017, 04:59:46 pm »
Sounds like there might be gun variants in multiplayer. Stop the hype train.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2017, 10:53:32 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CSYUQDRTQ6s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CSYUQDRTQ6s</a>

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2017, 11:38:00 am »
I wonder if they really have the balls to do a boots on the ground, simplistic style like they're indicating. How will the kids react to that I wonder? No pink skins and dabbing, no flying around. I will definitely buy it if they follow through. Can't beat the feeling when you get a headshot with a KAR98 with iron sights!

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2017, 12:12:03 am »
Cannot wait for this. Like many I jibbed off COD when all the daft stuff happened. Plus I LOVE WWII things, the history, films, documentaries, games etc. By no means am I a ghoul, it just fascinates me.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »
I don't think it makes you a ghoul; it's an endlessly fascinating period in human history, however dark it gets (and boy, does it get dark). Shaped the modern world.

And also, it's undeniably full of cool shit, very easy to mythologise. Even the villains are, in their way, incredibly stylish and distinctive, iconic. Fashion, attitude, courage, stoicism, honour, hardboiled deceptive complexity... it had everything, dahlink.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2017, 03:16:41 pm »
I don't think it makes you a ghoul; it's an endlessly fascinating period in human history, however dark it gets (and boy, does it get dark). Shaped the modern world.

And also, it's undeniably full of cool shit, very easy to mythologise. Even the villains are, in their way, incredibly stylish and distinctive, iconic. Fashion, attitude, courage, stoicism, honour, hardboiled deceptive complexity... it had everything, dahlink.

Phew! Haha cheers. Agree with all of that mate. It really is a fascinating period of history.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #78 on: August 1, 2017, 01:03:11 pm »
They changed the netcode somewhere around MW3 which changed hit detection and it made a big difference. Also they changed their map design / spawn point system massively the same time. Instead of channel maps where it's a rectangle with 3 distinct channels running through and points overlooking them, they made them way more clusterfucky. It encouraged more fast paced play but it meant that you couldn't have those mad games where you went 70-5 on demolition/ domination just getting your kill streaks over and over again. It fundamentally changed the way COD worked for many people

This is a real worry I have with this game.  In theory, this should be everything I want in an FPS game - no jetpacks, no ridiculous characters in MP, endlessly interesting historical context, no futuristic implausibility but with enough technology to provide enough variability (unlike BF1 which I found limiting).  I just can't help being terrified that they will fuck it up.  The last Sledgehammer effort was (in my opinion) a marginal improvement on the appalling Ghosts, but I still couldn't get on with it.

I think what you have explained above might be the route of it, nothing felt right and the maps were almost universally poor (Oh how I hated Greenband!).  The three channel maps were designed that way for a reason and to just forgo the experience that made them work so well was not smart.

I'll pick this up and hope they have learnt from their mis-steps last time out.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2017, 11:35:37 pm »
Two weeks to go looking forward to the Beta.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m0lfMM5e6x4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m0lfMM5e6x4</a>