Author Topic: Re: Manchester City 1 vs Liverpool 1 - (Milner (p) 50'; Aguero 69')  (Read 40825 times)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Re: Re: Manchester City 1 vs Liverpool 1 - (Milner (p) 50'; Aguero 69')
« Reply #760 on: March 20, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »
De Bruyne's pass to Silva and his cross, Coutinho's pass to Firmino. It was pretty amazing.

Which other team bar Chelsea can claim to reah the level of those two teams yesterday?

The side looking like finishing second in the league.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #761 on: March 20, 2017, 03:16:23 pm »
I kind of think some people who are being negative after yesterday's game dont even watch the game. Yesterday's match was one of the highest quality games you will see in this league. It was two of the best teams going at it.

I have never played football in my life and i have barely ever kicked a football but yesterday some of the things were magnificent. De Bruyne's pass to Silva to create the chance for Sterling and Coutinho's pass to Firminio came out of nowhere. I never had any idea that those passes would be played or were indeed on but it illustrated the level of the players on show.

If you need to console yourself with anything then do so with the fact that yesterday it was a level that Spurs, Arsenal and Utd can only wish to reach.
Absolutely. Reminded me of our games against Chelsea late last decade. Evenly matched games that were feisty but also high on quality from the players and the tactics.

Obviously I'm gutted we didn't get three points but it's probably the first game I've watched this season where I've got home and thought 'you know what, I can't split them'.

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #762 on: March 20, 2017, 03:22:38 pm »
The side looking like finishing second in the league.

If you mean Spurs, I think they're more consistent but have a lower ceiling. I also doubt they'll finish second. It's Spurs, they always fade twoards the end of a season.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #763 on: March 20, 2017, 03:23:50 pm »
Yesterday's match was one of the highest quality games you will see in this league. It was two of the best teams going at it.

It really wasn't.

The quality was very low.  Neither are the best two teams in the league as neither are good enough defensively.

Both teams could have and should have scored 4+ goals each.

That's not a high quality or high standard.  That is another example of why English teams get stuffed in Europe and until they are less naive defensively it will continue to be the case.

There were glimpses of some real quality attacking football.  But I thought the standard was very poor by both teams.

The pace of the game was good, it was entertaining - but little quality on show.  But as I said it's rare for us under Klopp as we usually play much better in these big games and our record under him in them is brilliant, overall.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:27:35 pm by Klippity Klopp »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #764 on: March 20, 2017, 03:24:40 pm »
Who cares? A point at Ettihad will ALWAYS be a good point. This is not where we failed, had we handled our business against the dross this point would have been colossal.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: March 20, 2017, 03:28:27 pm »
It really wasn't.

The quality was very low.  Neither are the best two teams in the league as neither are good enough defensively.

Both teams could have and should have scored 4+ goals each.

That's not a high quality or high standard.  That is another example of why English teams get stuffed in Europe and until they are less naive defensively it will continue to be the case.

The were glimpses of some real quality attacking football.  But I thought the standard was very poor by both teams.

The pace of the game was good, it was entertaining - but little quality on show.  But as I said it's rare for us under Klopp as we usually play much better in these big games and our record under him in them is brilliant, overall.
So like the low quality psg/barca matches?

The idea that for a game to be high quality you need super defensible showings is weird. Was the home game high quality then?

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #766 on: March 20, 2017, 03:44:54 pm »

Silva spends the entire game trying to draw fouls, screeches every time he is tackled and then rolls around appealing for a booking. We get fouled even in the penalty area and half the time we don't even appeal. The most annoying part for me yesterday though was the number of times City tried to kill our counter attacks with Oliver waving play on but not going back to book the player when play stopped.

Silva got Firmino booked, when he hooked the ball from him from behind. Clearly takes the ball with his heel, but the refs going to give a free kick 'cos its from behind and Silva makes certain and gets Firmino booked by rolling around holding his ankle. Really pissed me off that he bought that.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:59 pm »
So like the low quality psg/barca matches?

The idea that for a game to be high quality you need super defensible showings is weird. Was the home game high quality then?
Agree with you mate, was a very good game. Yes, the denfences could do better but when you have top class attacking talent there are bound to be defenders looking abit suspect.

What annoyed me about yesterday was we had that 10/15 minute period where we battered them but didnt manage to kill the game off, Pep made the changes and they got back into it. Other than that it was back and forth and we didnt lose the game which is not too bad if you look at the bigger picture such as our direct rivals play eachother and will take points off one another whereas we have teams that have nothing to play for and are hopefully already on holiday.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #768 on: March 20, 2017, 03:54:13 pm »
Thought we could've targeted Silva a bit more after his booking, there were a couple of instances where he had a nibble at players who'd gone past him but we seem to be too honest a team at the moment and were staying on our feet.  It's commendable, but if Can reacts to Toure like Aguero did to Matip then they're a man down.

When you look at the yellows Matip & Bob got..compare them to Toure's he really should have bee sent off.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: March 20, 2017, 03:56:15 pm »
The idea that for a game to be high quality you need super defensible showings is weird.

I don't think the attacking play was very good by either team in this game, so I am not just judging it on the defending.

Chelsea would have smashed either team yesterday had we played against them like that. 

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: March 20, 2017, 03:58:22 pm »
Not just the Ref, our players should of been getting in to Toure as well.

Teams that win the title in this Country have to stand up for themselves and their team mates.

You look at our team and who would you want to be in the trenches with. When you look at it our most aggressive player is our 5ft 9 Winger.  Can, Hendo and Lovren can hold their own but all three are pretty quiet.

agree

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: March 20, 2017, 03:58:36 pm »
I don't think the attacking play was very good by either team in this game, so I am not just judging it on the defending.

Chelsea would have smashed either team yesterday had we played against them like that. 

Fucking hell you are hard to please. Please give me examples of attacking play that satisfies your palette.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #772 on: March 20, 2017, 04:01:40 pm »
Who cares? A point at Ettihad will ALWAYS be a good point. This is not where we failed, had we handled our business against the dross this point would have been colossal.

Our biggest problem this season came at the turn of the year when the games came thick and fast. We had a week off and played a team who went out of the CL in mid week. At 1-0 with just over twenty minutes left we should be winning that game.Klopp said it himself.

The worst aspect was running out of steam against a team we should of been much fresher than.

As I said I would of taken a point at the start of the game but in the end for me it was two points lost simply because we should of been more clinical and finished them off.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:03:24 pm by Al 555 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #773 on: March 20, 2017, 04:02:51 pm »
When you look at the yellows Matip & Bob got..compare them to Toure's he really should have bee sent off.

+1.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: March 20, 2017, 04:03:38 pm »
Fucking hell you are hard to please. Please give me examples of attacking play that satisfies your palette.

When we played City last season away.  Our decision making and application was far better.

We are capable of doing much better, we have proved it plenty of times before.  That's why I am disappointed.

As I said a point away to City should be a good result.  But it doesn't feel like it.

Anyway I'm in the minority, that's fine.  Let's just hope we can hit top gear to beat the weaker teams.  We're capable of going on a run, like we did earlier in the season, I just hope we can do it.  :)

Offline Jayworden99

• Kemlynite
  • Up The Reds
« Reply #775 on: March 20, 2017, 04:03:39 pm »

Can't compare every game we play to what would happen against Chelsea, was just one of those games where the ball didn't go in.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: March 20, 2017, 04:05:05 pm »

That Toure challenge was very dangerous.  Lucky it didn't hit Emre in the face then everyone would be certain it was a red.

The ref bottled that and he had the perfect view.

I don't think Toure was malicious, but it was dangerous and he should have gone.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: March 20, 2017, 04:05:49 pm »
If you mean Spurs, I think they're more consistent but have a lower ceiling. I also doubt they'll finish second. It's Spurs, they always fade twoards the end of a season.

People underestimate them every season because "it's Spurs". In the same way City or Chelsea are arrogant towards us because they have more money and have won more in recent years, a serious majority of our fanbase seem to treat Spurs in the exact same way. It's bullshit. They've finished above us in 6 of the last 7 seasons and are probably going to make it 7 out of 8.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:04 pm »
Can't compare every game we play to what would happen against Chelsea, was just one of those games where the ball didn't go in.

I think we should given they are top of the league and the team we should be aspiring to topple.

The reason they are top of the league is because they defend well, they aren't naive, they punish teams.  All thinks we didn't demonstrate yesterday.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: March 20, 2017, 04:09:59 pm »
People underestimate them every season because "it's Spurs". In the same way City or Chelsea are arrogant towards us because they have more money and have won more in recent years, a serious majority of our fanbase seem to treat Spurs in the exact same way. It's bullshit. They've finished above us in 6 of the last 7 seasons and are probably going to make it 7 out of 8.

Yes they might finish second, but they dont have a higher level of ability than us. They are very strong at the back, have a top striker and are generally attritional and solid. Overall they probably are a better side currently.

But they do not have a higher level of ability than us. They cannot keep in touch with our best level and that has been illustrated in many of our matches against each other in the past few years. We absolutely destroyed them this season whilst they were at their top level. They tried to take us on and they got smashed.

Next season if we get into the CL, we will go further than them.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #780 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:56 pm »
I wonder if since the 08/09 we were ever this good in big games?

In Top 7 mini-league we are convincingly best at everything - points, goals scored, goals conceded. (Arsenal and Utd have 4-5 games left but the way they performed in these games doubt they'll get anywhere near us) Nobody is even close.

And it goes for two full years now , you can't really ask more from the team than what they showed in these games over the last 24 fixtures. Great stuff, if nothing else this predisposition to perform consistently well in big games will be very, very handy if we qualify for CL next season.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: March 20, 2017, 04:19:02 pm »

And yet, City should have smashed Chelsea at the Etihad but (like yesterday) missed a few sitters and got hit on the break later in the game. Plus, Chelsea haven't looked brilliant defensively in games against the top teams- their title challenge is based on not conceding against the shite teams (something both us and City still have to learn and our rebalance our gameplan to at times).

I agree with Killer Heels, I think its only us, City and Chelsea that can play to that top level and I cannot see Spurs, United or Arsenal living with either team yesterday. I think potentially us and City have a higher ceiling then others in the league (if we get things right). Our job is to improve to get closer to that level of competitiveness and energy week in week out by improving the first 11 and squad.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #782 on: March 20, 2017, 04:19:36 pm »
Yes they might finish second, but they dont have a higher level of ability than us. They are very strong at the back, have a top striker and are generally attritional and solid. Overall they probably are a better side currently.

But they do not have a higher level of ability than us. They cannot keep in touch with our best level and that has been illustrated in many of our matches against each other in the past few years. We absolutely destroyed them this season whilst they were at their top level. They tried to take us on and they got smashed.

Next season if we get into the CL, we will go further than them.

so what you're saying is they're better than us in all departments and are a better side than us....but they're still not as good as us?.......Blue Kipper eat yer heart out!  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:25 pm »
so what you're saying is they're better than us in all departments and are a better side than us....but they're still not as good as us?.......Blue Kipper eat yer heart out!  ;D

Exactly. It's arrogant tosh!

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: March 20, 2017, 04:24:41 pm »

I agree with Killer, I think Spurs have a ceiling of about 80 points. I just don't think they win enough matches to win a title and its a stylistic problem (Chelsea avoid this by having some world class individual attacking players meaning they can win more matches). Maybe I'm too much of an optimist but I think we will consistently be challenging under this manager for the next few years.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: March 20, 2017, 04:24:44 pm »
It really wasn't.

Yet with their dodgy defences, they both finished 1st and 2nd a couple of seasons ago.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:45 pm »
I think Spurs have a ceiling of about 80 points. I just don't think they win enough matches to win a title and its a stylistic problem (Chelsea avoid this by having some world class individual attacking players meaning they can win more matches).

Don't necessarily disagree with this but then Spurs are probably only a player away from being what's within those brackets. Kane, Eriksen and Alli is a front three which rivals anything in the league.

Do you really think our ceiling is higher than 80 points as things stand?!

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: March 20, 2017, 04:28:05 pm »
I agree with Killer Heels, I think its only us, City and Chelsea that can play to that top level

I don't disagree with that.  At our best we are brilliant.

In the majority of the games against the top sides this season we have been really good.

But I'm talking about yesterday and I thought we were very poor, by our standards that we have set in these big games under Klopp.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: March 20, 2017, 04:29:33 pm »
Yet with their dodgy defences, they both finished 1st and 2nd a couple of seasons ago.

So we should just forget about defending then.

Looks like that was the game plan yesterday to be fair.  ;D

Not sure why two years ago is relevant to now.  Our team were capable of destroying the weaker teams then.  City had Kompany in his prime and a better keeper in Hart.  It's very different now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:34:25 pm by Klippity Klopp »

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #789 on: March 20, 2017, 04:32:29 pm »
and its a stylistic problem

Betchabygollywow it isn't...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline cdav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: March 20, 2017, 04:35:30 pm »
Don't necessarily disagree with this but then Spurs are probably only a player away from being what's within those brackets. Kane, Eriksen and Alli is a front three which rivals anything in the league.

Do you really think our ceiling is higher than 80 points as things stand?!

First 11 on the pitch with no injuries for a majority of the season (i.e. what Chelsea have had this season since September), yes I think we would be looking at above 80 points.

Our issue isn't quality as such but depth- even yesterday I think we win the game at with a better sub than Origi on for Coutinho.

Betchabygollywow it isn't...

I don't think its controversial to say Spurs playing with such a solid team means they will struggle to win enough matches to win a league without some more individually talented attacking players who can win matches on their own (and I can't see them buying them). Kane and Alli are very good, not sure beyond that and they also have a new stadium millstone to hang around their neck so won't be spending much going forward.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:40:46 pm by cdav »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: March 20, 2017, 05:42:35 pm »
Exactly. It's arrogant tosh!

Spurs have won 2 out of 8 games against the top 6. How is arrogant to suggest their top level isnt as good as ours?

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: March 20, 2017, 05:51:38 pm »
It was a scrappy 1 - 1 with the odd stupid missed chances.

It really wasn't.

God knows why you would think that.

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
Re: Manchester City 1 vs Liverpool 1 - (Milner (p) 50'; Aguero 69')
« Reply #793 on: March 20, 2017, 06:06:11 pm »
Beating Spurs 1-0 at White Hart Lane - missed loads of chances to make it 2-0. Game ended 1-1.

Beating United 1-0 At Old Trafford - didn't make good decisions on the break. Game ended 1-1.

Beating City 1-0 At The Etihad - didn't make enough good decisions on the break - missed chances. Game ended 1-1.

Is this just a coincidence or is there more to it?

I'm not making any conclusion. But it's a pattern. They're decent points. But could so easily have been 3 wins.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #794 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:46 pm »
what do we win for being the best in the top 7 mini league?

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #795 on: March 20, 2017, 06:17:46 pm »
And yet, City should have smashed Chelsea at the Etihad but (like yesterday) missed a few sitters and got hit on the break later in the game. Plus, Chelsea haven't looked brilliant defensively in games against the top teams- their title challenge is based on not conceding against the shite teams (something both us and City still have to learn and our rebalance our gameplan to at times).

I agree with Killer Heels, I think its only us, City and Chelsea that can play to that top level and I cannot see Spurs, United or Arsenal living with either team yesterday. I think potentially us and City have a higher ceiling then others in the league (if we get things right). Our job is to improve to get closer to that level of competitiveness and energy week in week out by improving the first 11 and squad.

We are no where near top level/title contender.   We cannot control the tempo of a game nor the midfield since the time of Gerrard & Alonso.  Yesterday was a great match to watch but we play like Newcastle under Keegan.
City will get back there as soon they spend their billions this summer.  We'll under bid everyone in the summer.
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #796 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:38 pm »
what do we win for being the best in the top 7 mini league?

A place in the Champions League.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: March 20, 2017, 06:27:31 pm »
Beating Spurs 1-0 at White Hart Lane - missed loads of chances to make it 2-0. Game ended 1-1.

Beating United 1-0 At Old Trafford - didn't make good decisions on the break. Game ended 1-1.

Beating City 1-0 At The Etihad - didn't make enough good decisions on the break - missed chances. Game ended 1-1.

Is this just a coincidence or is there more to it?

I'm not making any conclusion. But it's a pattern. They're decent points. But could so easily have been 3 wins.
Yes, we're playing good teams, they score goals and get points, shocking.

Beating Arsenal at home and close the game out and score on the counter, beating Chelsea away and close the game out, beating Spurs at home and close the game out, beating City at home and close the game out.

Now there's a pattern there.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #798 on: March 20, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »
Yes, we're playing good teams, they score goals and get points, shocking.

Beating Arsenal at home and close the game out and score on the counter, beating Chelsea away and close the game out, beating Spurs at home and close the game out, beating City at home and close the game out.

Now there's a pattern there.

Not a whingey, whiney pattern though is it? Boring.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...