Author Topic: FA wants to test video referees in third round of next season's FA Cup  (Read 4654 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Plus a few other changes, sounds like it could be very useful (edit - or maybe not!)

The Football Association wants to test a video assistant referee system from the third round of next year's FA Cup.

The announcement came at the annual meeting of the International Football Association Board (Ifab) on Friday.

The Ifab are also reviewing the order teams take penalty shoot-outs, as there is a "clear advantage" to going first.

The meeting also confirmed that clubs will be allowed to use a fourth substitute during extra time from the quarter-finals of this season's FA Cup.

Proposals for sin-bins for yellow-card offences and rolling substitutions at lower levels of football, to be introduced from June, were also approved at the Wembley meeting.

It is a move to "encourage more people to take part" in youth and amateur leagues.

Ifab is made up of Fifa and the four British home associations - the FAs of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - and is responsible for making the final decision on law changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39157887
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 07:54:42 pm by sms1986, please? Thanks! »

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
Sin bins can fuck off, as can rolling subs for any professional team. The rest I can abide.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Sin bins can fuck off, as can rolling subs for any professional team. The rest I can abide.

Totally agree.

Hate the idea of sin bins so fucking much.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Was in attendance when David Villa get sent-off via video replay a couple of weeks ago. Was a bit of a farce in the time it took but the right decision in the end.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The problem with the video system at the moment is the time it takes to get a decision.

Football is a sport played on passion. When Gerrard bangs in a goal in the top corner, and the crowd go crazy, Gerrard on his knees, us all jumping like crazy.

That sort of passion could be diluted, because as soon Coutinho bangs one in, we could be waiting a few minutes before they call the decision.

And trust me, just like in cricket, referee's will always cover their backs and go to the camera.

One way to get around this would be to perhaps allow teams 2 challenges a season - for the more extreme obvious decisions.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Being a big fan of hockey, and watching the NHL a lot, I have grown to hate the video reveiew in that sport. It's a pretty recent addition, and even though the theory of it is great, it's a pain in the arse, cos it takes so damn long, and they allow reviews of far too many things - so it becomes a farce. So I'd have to see what exactly they would be reviwing before deciding if I like the idea!

Sin bins can indeed do one.

Are they taking retrospective action on diving yet? I can't remember if that's a thing, maybe it's wishful thinking. Cos that's something I'd love to see, retrospective bans for players who dive.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
Fuck no, the time it takes in Rugby League is a joke. Would make footie unwatchable.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
All horrible ideas.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
I fucking hate modern football.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A lot depends on how the video is going to be used. If its refs asking for confirmation, then that can fuck off, seen far too many refs in Rugby League go to the video ref when they could have made the decision themselves. If its just an official watching fast replays and letting the ref know if there was a foul or offside in the build up to a goal, then it MIGHT be a good idea.

The rest are just stupid ideas.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
And a fourth substitute is an obvious advantage for bigger clubs.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
Video technology should only be available to determine whether a player is offside in the buildup to a goal. Anything else should be strictly off limits.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
And a fourth substitute is an obvious advantage for bigger clubs.

Yeah the fourth sub thing is the oddest of the lot for me.

And if a team is at a dissadvantage because they used all their subs, then get a player injured, then tough shit. Football is real life, not a video game, and it's a game of mistakes. This constant meddling to try and make it mistake free takes away from this imperfect game we love. And yep, I know it's frustrating when bad decisions happen for your team, but they do happen to everyone (well, apart from Man Utd apparently ;) ).

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
4th Sub only benefits the big boys - ridiculous.

I am willing to listen to the SIN BIN theory. My biggest bug bear in football is the cynical tackle. Players going through on attack and being bought down cynical to stop the advantage. You have many teams who have that cynical enforcer rotated to take a yellow and stop any counter attack - it's CHEATING. Somehow the yellow card doesn't seem enough of a punishment.

Why all this interfering anyways ? The Euros and World Cup being diluted, the kick off, etc

Just leave it be.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
Video technology should only be available to determine whether a player is offside in the buildup to a goal. Anything else should be strictly off limits.

Once you start down that road it will go for everything. It was like that for cricket. First just run outs, then a few years laters for catches, then it went full on to LBW. Then pretty much everything. Now you have players wanting a video review even when they are obviously out.

Most of the crowd at cricket don't bother celebrating anymore - you have to wait 5 minutes for an Umpire to go check the shit on video, over and over. But cricket is a slow sport anyways, with a lot of stops.

This will kill the passion and pace in football.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
To be fair, the proposals for sin-bins for yellow-card offences and rolling substitutions are for lower league teams rather than the Premier League etc. I agree with video referees being limited to offside/onside calls, though, it would help a lot.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
I fucking hate modern football.

I miss your common sense on the football board.  :(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
Once you start down that road it will go for everything. It was like that for cricket. First just run outs, then a few years laters for catches, then it went full on to LBW. Then pretty much everything. Now you have players wanting a video review even when they are obviously out.

Most of the crowd at cricket don't bother celebrating anymore - you have to wait 5 minutes for an Umpire to go check the shit on video, over and over. But cricket is a slow sport anyways, with a lot of stops.

This will kill the passion and pace in football.

I don't think there should be further use of technology in football but I could kind of see the case for offside decisions because it can provide a definitive answer one way or the other. Most decisions in the game are subjective though; I don't see how it would work appealing a handball for example because refs see the game in different ways and what's handball to one might not be to another. It would just cause even more controversy.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
If this helps us I'm all for it.  If not, I'll be moaning like fuck.

Think that covers most of the internet.

I'm all for giving referee's help.  When the game started teams weren't full of lads trying to con the ref and TV analysts slating the poor fucker, what with TV being decades away from being invented.

Ref's have one job:  Ensure the game is played according to the rules.  That's it. Give me a robot lino over some bloke from Chelmsford any day.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
I want to know what they plan on doing about the order penalties are taken.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
I want to know what they plan on doing about the order penalties are taken.

Have to agree on this. Why they don't alternate is beyond me.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Maybe the FA should test existing referee's and linesmen for competency.

As many calls that are wrong. As many offside goals allowed or a good goal not given.

Somewhere there needs to be accountability.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
I'd rather see IFAB want to video-mic the refs, assistants and 4th official up so we can hear the decisions made and what is going on (rugby style) - as well as being interviewed by the press afterwards. They have been professionals for a while now - and deserve not only the chance to put forward to fan/public how they arrived at their decisions - but also to defend themselves from some fairly moronic claims by commentators and analysts (who seem to have never read the 'laws of the game') - and maybe some managers too ;)

You know, in the interests of openness, honesty and transparency etc.

It could also help with the consistency amongst officials too...

It may also help eliminate some of the abuse the officials get from players up in their faces screaming obscenities at them - as to why didn't you card this player for calling you a cheat, or swearing at you, or asking for that fellow player to be sent off, or for unsporting behaviour etc. Hopefully it'd trickle down to Sunday leagues to over time - a bit more respect for the refs at the pub levels and the youth game.

But yeah, make it so that bigger clubs can bring on an another experienced international player from the bench vs some non-leaguers/ league 1/2 instead...
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 08:43:00 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
 Can't stand the thought of a sin bin if your on a yellow but then do something else like kick the ball away or swear at the ref you only have yourself to blame for going off and getting a suspension.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan

Agreed, video refs for certain situations should have happened long ago
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan

And what about offsides that are given incorrectly that stop a potential goal being scored?

Technology (other than goal line decisions) cannot work in football. It is too free-flowing and too subjective.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
And what about offsides that are given incorrectly that stop a potential goal being scored?

Technology (other than goal line decisions) cannot work in football. It is too free-flowing and too subjective.

Yeah, on reflection it might not work  ;D

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They should maybe look at binning off the away goals rule in extra time before an extra sub. Clear advantage to an away team in a 2 legged tie.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Have to agree on this. Why they don't alternate is beyond me.
;D

Did you read the article?

"The Ifab are also reviewing the order teams take penalty shoot-outs, as there is a "clear advantage" to going first"
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
;D

Did you read the article?

"The Ifab are also reviewing the order teams take penalty shoot-outs, as there is a "clear advantage" to going first"

Ah, went right over my head did that  ;D

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
Make no mistake, if it starts it will expand until it covers almost everything. If Liverpool had had our offside Zlatan goal chalked off earlier this season we'd have raised hell about the corner they got resulting in their penalty in which Firmino was incorrectly ruled onside. Fouls further and further back in the build up will be complained about until the whole game is on video call. I for one don't want it.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
I'd rather see IFAB want to video-mic the refs, assistants and 4th official up so we can hear the decisions made and what is going on (rugby style) - as well as being interviewed by the press afterwards. They have been professionals for a while now - and deserve not only the chance to put forward to fan/public how they arrived at their decisions - but also to defend themselves from some fairly moronic claims by commentators and analysts (who seem to have never read the 'laws of the game') - and maybe some managers too ;)

You know, in the interests of openness, honesty and transparency etc.

It could also help with the consistency amongst officials too...

It may also help eliminate some of the abuse the officials get from players up in their faces screaming obscenities at them - as to why didn't you card this player for calling you a cheat, or swearing at you, or asking for that fellow player to be sent off, or for unsporting behaviour etc. Hopefully it'd trickle down to Sunday leagues to over time - a bit more respect for the refs at the pub levels and the youth game.

But yeah, make it so that bigger clubs can bring on an another experienced international player from the bench vs some non-leaguers/ league 1/2 instead...

I think this is a superb idea and should actually be strongly considered. Would help the game no end and wouldn't slow it down one bit.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They should really be looking at reducing the game to roughly 30 minute halves but the ref (or another official) controls the clock and it stops every time the ball goes dead. Eliminating time wasting in one fell swoop.

The tennis tie break style penalties sounds an interesting idea though, imagine the pundits in the studio would get awfully confused though.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
I think this is a superb idea and should actually be strongly considered. Would help the game no end and wouldn't slow it down one bit.
I agree too, I always notice in rugby union and NFL the referee is much more respected than in football, where there's basically zero from fans and players.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I miss your common sense on the football board.  :(

I need to get back on it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
They should really be looking at reducing the game to roughly 30 minute halves but the ref (or another official) controls the clock and it stops every time the ball goes dead. Eliminating time wasting in one fell swoop.

The tennis tie break style penalties sounds an interesting idea though, imagine the pundits in the studio would get awfully confused though.

Not sure if serious...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
They should maybe look at binning off the away goals rule in extra time before an extra sub. Clear advantage to an away team in a 2 legged tie.

Being at home in the second leg is a clear advantage to the home team.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

If it can be done like goal line technology - instantaneous and signalled to the ref - then technological assistance for offside could be useful. Anything that stops the game can fuck off.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Two video review calls per game for each manager, no more. It'll work well imo.

If it's something the ref can lean on for every little thing it'll destroy the game.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2017, 12:20:20 am by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
I agree too, I always notice in rugby union and NFL the referee is much more respected than in football, where there's basically zero from fans and players.

Because they're shit scared of being heard on the mic and loosing sponsorship/fans. Nivea aren't going to want to do an ad with Jordan Henderson if he can be heard screaming and telling refs to fuck off every weekend. Might help calm all the shite from modern footballers if they knew they could be clearly heard and what they said was broadcast.

It would also help the standard of refereeing as referees wouldn't have anywhere to hide and you could clearly make out who the good officials  are from the bad. How they react in certain situations and can they deal with the pressure effectively.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2017, 12:23:59 am by Red85 »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.