Author Topic: 62 Not Out!  (Read 945 times)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
62 Not Out!
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:31:20 am »
A cricket score in News & Affairs?

Certainly looks like but this is the staggering amount of points racked up by a motorist who is still driving on our roads!

At what point do you draw the line?

12 points & no excuses,banned..fuck off?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658

Flabbergasted how this can happen.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
Re: 62 Not Out!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:21:35 am »
It seems crazy at first glance but apparently there are some ways that this can happen which are a bit more reasonable. Say for example there's a stretch of road on your way to work with a temporary speed limit due to roadworks (60 down to 40), and lets assume that every day you go with the traffic flow and break that limit by 10mph. That's twice a day for 2 weeks until you get your first penalty notice through the post, and you've racked up 60 points in that time. Go to court, make a reasonable case for mitigating circumstances and you might get your license back.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:44:27 am »
It seems crazy at first glance but apparently there are some ways that this can happen which are a bit more reasonable. Say for example there's a stretch of road on your way to work with a temporary speed limit due to roadworks (60 down to 40), and lets assume that every day you go with the traffic flow and break that limit by 10mph. That's twice a day for 2 weeks until you get your first penalty notice through the post, and you've racked up 60 points in that time. Go to court, make a reasonable case for mitigating circumstances and you might get your license back.
That's got to be a 1/1000000 shot though?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:33 am »

And they were still speeding putting the road workers at risk.

Online Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:53:44 am »
And they were still speeding putting the road workers at risk.

Yes absolutely. I'm not justifying it, just a quick thought experiment to show a less extreme example. Seems plausible to me, but I can't find the real details of the cases online so it may be as crazy as it sounds.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:30:46 pm »

Not really. All it takes is for someone to be unaware of a new camera, or a change in speed limit, or most likely that an existing camera is now working (given that a lot do not work) and they would be fucked.

Alternatively, with smart motorways now in existence, you can clock up multiple speeding fines on one stretch of road within minutes.

I actually think both examples do provide mitigating circumstances and should not result in a ban. If the driver is unaware that they have broken the law before breaking the law again and again and again, is it fair that they are punished for all offences? Especially if they are driving 34 mph in a 30 zone or something. Their argument will be that if they were made aware after the first offence, they wouldn't have repeat offended.

Even if they intentionally drove over the limit on those occasions (not knowing a camera was there or working) I think they should be allowed a second chance provided they show they have learnt a lesson and won't do it again. I was caught speeding in my younger days travelling in a part of the country I did not know. If I had the same journey multiple times before my notification came through, I probably would have been caught multiple times. It wouldn't have been because I was an unsafe driver, I was just an ignorant one.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:39:19 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.