Author Topic: Legion  (Read 15159 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Legion
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:50:24 pm »
Legion IMDB Link
Legion, based on the Marvel Comics by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz, is the story of David Haller (Dan Stevens), a troubled young man who may be more than human. Diagnosed as schizophrenic as a child, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. Now in his early 20's and free once again, David loses himself in the rhythm of the structured regimen of daily life: breakfast, lunch, dinner, therapy, medications, sleep. David spends the rest of his time in companionable silence alongside his chatterbox friend Shannon (Aubrey Plaza), a fellow patient whose life-long drug and alcohol addiction has done nothing to quell her boundless optimism that her luck is about to change. The pleasant numbness of David's routine is completely upended with the arrival of a beautiful and troubled new patient named Syd (Rachel Keller). Inexplicably drawn to one another, David and Syd share a startling encounter, after which David must confront the shocking possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees may actually be real.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4SZ3rMMYBLY?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4SZ3rMMYBLY?fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9_e83uw38hs?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9_e83uw38hs?fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/toc9LGWgqJg?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/toc9LGWgqJg?fs=1</a>

RAWK Reaction

Legion...fuckin brilliant...easily one of the best curtain raiser's Ive seen in recent years
Strongest pilot/opener since Mr Robot imho
Belter of an episode.
First thing I thought of while watching was A Clockwork Orange and not just because of the Psychiatric Hospital name. :)

Just read on WIKI they used a 9.8 Kinoptik Lens which was also used by Kubrick in Clockwork Orange.

I need to re-watch the this again as I was more taken in by the visuals.
I was also reminded of Lynch...and especially Anderson....but mainly...the sets and dress of the show had me thinking of 60's Mods, Portmeirion and The Prisoner, probably just me like, but it did. The way it looked and the characters look too. Music as well, also reminded me of Wes Anderson films.

I loved it! It's not an atypical superheroes series/film,  and that made it new, interesting and mainly disconcerting - disorienting, in that I initially had little understanding of what is going on onscreen.....tv that makes you work can be frustrating, it was, it was also really rewarding.
Just watched episode 3 of Legion and its still a head fuck a brilliant head fuck.

And creepy as fuck.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Legion
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:57:09 pm »
My favorite new show at this time by miles.

In a time with so many super hero TV shows and films I thought it was getting all a bit boring this prove the genre is far from dead. with things like this, Deadpool and Guardians.

The last 20 minutes of episode 3 was more like a horror film totally brilliant.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:01:16 pm »
The pilot was one of the most refreshing, interesting things ive seen in ages, instantly hooked.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:34:53 pm »
I've only seen the first episode, but so far, it's so different that I wouldn't actually call it a superhero show at all. It feels as much like a superhero show as say, Watchmen feels like a superhero comic.

I understand the links to the broader X-Men/Marvel universe/universes are scant so far, and it's probably best kept that way. The fewer connections, the more freedom they have do what they like with it.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:10:46 pm »
I've only seen the first episode, but so far, it's so different that I wouldn't actually call it a superhero show at all.

It is a Super hero show its just they are looking longer at what is glossed over in the first 10 minutes of a super hero film.

When the person first learns he has super powers and learns how to control them.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 12:09:46 am »
Thought the pilot episode was a decent bit of television, have the next 2 episodes recorded to watch back to back over the weekend.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:52:01 am »
Episode 3 is very much inkeeping with the quality of the first 2. The narrative is becoming a bit more straight forward but as it's unfurls the story's becoming darker and more horror like.

Genuinely intruiging stuff and it still looks and sounds fantatic too.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 09:41:03 am »
I've only seen the first episode, but so far, it's so different that I wouldn't actually call it a superhero show at all. It feels as much like a superhero show as say, Watchmen feels like a superhero comic.

I understand the links to the broader X-Men/Marvel universe/universes are scant so far, and it's probably best kept that way. The fewer connections, the more freedom they have do what they like with it.

Noah Hawley has said its completely separate to anything else X-Men related, so he has the freedom to play around in whatever he wants to without having to worry.

Episode 3 was fantastic, the vibe of this show is really something special.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 01:35:41 pm »
Sounds like a decent watch to me.  I'll download tonight.  Are we talking a 15 rating?

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 01:42:12 pm »
Sounds like a decent watch to me.  I'll download tonight.  Are we talking a 15 rating?

Yeah I think its rated 15

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:16:47 am »
The girl that stars is the one who played in Fargo's second series, isn't she?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 10:27:32 am »
The girl that stars is the one who played in Fargo's second series, isn't she?
;)

And also Jean Smart. Floyd Gerhardt in Fargo and Dr Melanie Bird in Legion.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 10:28:06 am »
Don't be scared, la.... :P

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:43:35 pm »
Netflix or Amazon prime?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »
Awesome first three episodes.

And has my favourite scene of the year so far:

https://vimeo.com/203409964
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 08:47:20 pm »
Do you need to be into Marvel comics and know the background etc to enjoy this?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 08:55:05 pm »

I knew nothing about show before watching just basic x-men knowledge really that the world is full of mutants with powers.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 09:40:26 am »
;)

And also Jean Smart. Floyd Gerhardt in Fargo and Dr Melanie Bird in Legion.

:thumbup

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 09:43:09 am »
Great start to this.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 10:31:59 am »
Don't be scared, la.... :P

Wondering about my eldest watching it.

Ill try not to be Dave, probably stick to Finding Nemo though.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 12:13:45 pm »
Wondering about my eldest watching it.

Ill try not to be Dave, probably stick to Finding Nemo though.
I gathered that, la. ;D

He might have to explain it to you. It's alright for  a lad his age....it's an atypical super hero series, and all the better for it.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 12:14:19 pm »
I don't read comics, I loved the opener...

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 12:21:36 pm »
I don't read comics, I loved the opener...

Watched the opener, intriguing stuff and beautifully shot. Her off Fargo is a treat and all. ;)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 12:36:25 pm »
Watched the opener, intriguing stuff and beautifully shot. Her off Fargo is a treat and all. ;)
She is...... :P

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 01:00:58 pm »
She is...... :P

Each to their own mate. ;)

Online Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 04:22:38 pm »
I knew nothing about this other then its a Marvel thing & Noah Hawley of the Fargo TV series wrote it, just finished the 3rd episode and I'm hooked loving it so far. The visuals are just stunning, Noah is a bit of a genius.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »
Watched the first episode, all rather strange but decent. Rachel Keller is something else...

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 10:50:41 am »
Enjoyed all 3 episodes so far. Nicely confusing, and looks great. Whens ep. 4 due?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 11:05:11 am »
Enjoyed all 3 episodes so far. Nicely confusing, and looks great. Whens ep. 4 due?
It airs on Wednesday nights so should be available Thursdays in most cases.

Initial run is 8 episodes.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #30 on: March 2, 2017, 08:12:07 pm »
Episode 4 it must be the weirdest thing I have ever seen of anything.

Nice.

Up there with Twin Peaks type weird.

A total head fuck!!
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 08:36:17 pm by Trada »

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: March 2, 2017, 09:25:19 pm »
I love it. It's somewhere between The Prisoner and Tarsem's The Cell.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #32 on: March 2, 2017, 11:48:40 pm »
Just watched it. Plot wise was really good but good lord, what a drug induced episode that was. Great viewing.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 3, 2017, 03:07:40 am »
The way that this show has been written and directed, even though it's 'another super-hero Marvel tv show' it is absolutely fantastic. I like my marvel thingy ma bobs (except agents of shield and agent carter) but the fact that this has gone with a more Kubrick mental institute don't know what is real and what isn't (I mean is even the girlfriend real?) has made this tv show stand above the rest atm. And I am not just talking super hero stuff, I am saying the majority of TV right now.

Also that David has to deal with split personalities and psychosis he has a apparition who desperately wants David's power for himself and is happy to alter memories to acquire what David has, is chilling and really well directed.

Really looking forward to episode 5.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #34 on: March 4, 2017, 08:36:46 am »
currently my TV highlight of the week....looks great...bends your brain.....The Prisoner meets Mr Robot...but with less of the latter's po-faced earnestness......I like Dan Stevens as the lead too....gives off a pleasing young Tom Courtney vibe....really looking forward to seeing where it goes
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #35 on: March 4, 2017, 01:13:48 pm »
This is a really great show. It's using the Marvel universe to be wildly inventive. The Kerry / Carey thing is a brilliant concept, and a total headfuck. At times I have little idea about what's happening, but I'm never totally lost and always engaged.

I was so into the episode that it was only when he did the dance to the jazz record (about 20 mins in) that I went 'It's Jemaine!!'
(Apparently he was also the voice of the coffee machine telling the story of the woodcutter last week).

Rachel Keller is very lovely too.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 4, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »
Very good show so far.

Kerry/Carey style mutation must be one of the worst to have.

Does Jean Smart (Melanie Bird) remind anyone else of Judi Dench? Can't get that resemblance out of my head since I watched Fargo!

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 4, 2017, 10:57:31 pm »
Episode 4 it must be the weirdest thing I have ever seen of anything.

Nice.

Up there with Twin Peaks type weird.

A total head fuck!!

Loved it, one of the best standalone episodes I think I've seen. Funny, trippy, sad, emotional, scary, technically great - everything was perfect.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 9, 2017, 04:46:20 pm »
Another smashing episode. Only 3 more to go this season, hopefully they can maintain the same quality.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #39 on: March 9, 2017, 06:46:52 pm »
Just one word WOW!!