Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 210098 times)

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #840 on: April 16, 2017, 05:38:29 pm »
Good for the constructors though. Thought Kimi might get Bottas today but alas for him

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #841 on: April 16, 2017, 05:38:51 pm »
Yeah, shot himself in the foot did Lewis. Such a silly penalty to commit.
Not sure it would have changed much as he'd have been sitting behind Bottas for longer than five seconds if he'd driven at normal speed in the pit lane.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #842 on: April 16, 2017, 06:08:37 pm »
Bull shit

Bet on vandoorne to be first retirement. And a McLaren to be first out. Pp only refunded it.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: April 16, 2017, 06:31:44 pm »
Bull shit

Bet on vandoorne to be first retirement. And a McLaren to be first out. Pp only refunded it.

He was out before the race started though. Same with Johnson last week at the masters with anyone betting on him being refunded.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: April 16, 2017, 07:36:10 pm »
McLaren have as many "DNS'" as they do race finishes.

Embarrassing.

Mercedes again a little weak on strategy and overall race management, along with things falling just nicely for Vettel who has basically been inch perfect so far on race days. Feels like another day where Merc should have come away with a win, and managed to let it slip through their fingers. Shame for Bottas that a tyre pressure issue stunted his early pace, but even after it was clear Hamilton was much quicker today. Theres a fairly large gap appearing at both Mercedes and Ferrari between their number 1 and number 2 drivers, both Hamilton and Vettel clearly superior but the one at Ferrari is the most surprising, Kimi hasnt looked near Seb so far, hopefully he will pick it up soon.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #845 on: April 16, 2017, 09:01:12 pm »
Only caught bits and pieces of the race so don't know how it happened, but Perez yet again with a great result. Would love to see him in a better car
YNWA

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #846 on: April 16, 2017, 10:41:44 pm »

Embarrassing.

Mercedes again a little weak on strategy and overall race management, along with things falling just nicely for Vettel who has basically been inch perfect so far on race days. Feels like another day where Merc should have come away with a win, and managed to let it slip through their fingers. Shame for Bottas that a tyre pressure issue stunted his early pace, but even after it was clear Hamilton was much quicker today. Theres a fairly large gap appearing at both Mercedes and Ferrari between their number 1 and number 2 drivers, both Hamilton and Vettel clearly superior but the one at Ferrari is the most surprising, Kimi hasnt looked near Seb so far, hopefully he will pick it up soon.

I think your being a bit unfair on Botas considering it's a new team for him, and his performances have not been bad by any standard- he's up against a 3 time world champion whose been at the team for years. Kimi definitely has to pick up the pace, right now he's getting his arse handed to him - but I would also argue with both Vettel and Hamilton they may not officially be Numbers 1's within their team but I would say that they are in reality and when the car is designed it is more with these guys in mind then Kimi and Botas.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: April 16, 2017, 10:59:24 pm »
This is the best season I can remember in ages! There's also the potential for the Red Bulls to catch up through development because as Pat Symonds has pointed out, theirs is the simplest design which theoretically has room for the most improvement. If Red Bull can close up to within a few tenths off the leaders then it could get even better.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: April 17, 2017, 02:41:37 am »

Embarrassing.

I don't think that Mercedes could have done much different on race strategy to be honest.  Ferrari - at least in Seb's case - simply had them covered off once he got past Hamilton in the first corner.  Not having a working backup generator to be able to bleed Bottas' tyres seems a bit 'amateur night' though. 

As for Vettel, I can't agree that things 'fell nicely for him'.  The timing of the safety car wasn't as catostrophic as last time out, but he'd still have been a lot further up the road without it, so it deffo aided Merc.  I think that he won despite the way things went rather than because of them.  I don't think that the 5 second penalty being mentioned in this thread would have made a difference to the result either. As you say though, Seb has been great on race days so far.  Had Lewis driven that race the sycophants at Sky would've been creaming themselves.

As for Mclaren, yeah I agree, it's embarrasing.  They need to find a way out of the mess with Honda.  Alonso?... I think that he'll move to indy next year unless the unlikely happens and he gets a seat with a front-running team in F1.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:43:19 am by Darren G »

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: April 17, 2017, 08:28:47 am »
I think your being a bit unfair on Botas considering it's a new team for him, and his performances have not been bad by any standard- he's up against a 3 time world champion whose been at the team for years. Kimi definitely has to pick up the pace, right now he's getting his arse handed to him - but I would also argue with both Vettel and Hamilton they may not officially be Numbers 1's within their team but I would say that they are in reality and when the car is designed it is more with these guys in mind then Kimi and Botas.

Was I? I just said he wasnt on Hamiltons pace, I dont think thats overly harsh, the gap between Seb and Kimi is larger so I'd say Bottas has done pretty well for himself so far.

I don't think that Mercedes could have done much different on race strategy to be honest.  Ferrari - at least in Seb's case - simply had them covered off once he got past Hamilton in the first corner.  Not having a working backup generator to be able to bleed Bottas' tyres seems a bit 'amateur night' though. 

As for Vettel, I can't agree that things 'fell nicely for him'.  The timing of the safety car wasn't as catostrophic as last time out, but he'd still have been a lot further up the road without it, so it deffo aided Merc.  I think that he won despite the way things went rather than because of them.  I don't think that the 5 second penalty being mentioned in this thread would have made a difference to the result either. As you say though, Seb has been great on race days so far.  Had Lewis driven that race the sycophants at Sky would've been creaming themselves.

Once it was clear Bottas was slowing the pack with his pressure issue, Merc couldve been as bold as Ferrari to find a gap and undercut Hamilton, but it wouldve been a gamble. The safety car worked out for him mainly because it meant Merc had to stack. He'd already got Bottas on the undercut, but stacking meant Hamilton got caught up behind, and he then compounded his mistake trying to get a gap and earning himself a penalty. Effectively it kept his one real challenger a few cars behind, when there couldve been an opportunity for Hamilton to challenge him.

I think it was a perfect race from Vettels perspective, and Merc not having a great day at the office meant he could snatch a win he probably shouldnt have done. Merc will be kicking themselves.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: April 17, 2017, 09:33:26 am »
Was I? I just said he wasnt on Hamiltons pace, I dont think thats overly harsh, the gap between Seb and Kimi is larger so I'd say Bottas has done pretty well for himself so far.

Once it was clear Bottas was slowing the pack with his pressure issue, Merc couldve been as bold as Ferrari to find a gap and undercut Hamilton, but it wouldve been a gamble. The safety car worked out for him mainly because it meant Merc had to stack. He'd already got Bottas on the undercut, but stacking meant Hamilton got caught up behind, and he then compounded his mistake trying to get a gap and earning himself a penalty. Effectively it kept his one real challenger a few cars behind, when there couldve been an opportunity for Hamilton to challenge him.

I think it was a perfect race from Vettels perspective, and Merc not having a great day at the office meant he could snatch a win he probably shouldnt have done. Merc will be kicking themselves.

I don't believe Vettel snatched anything though. Vettel was faster the whole race, even on the start he was closer to bottas than hamilton was closer to vettel. Hamilton might of been catching seb in the latter stages but Vettel was simply managing the pace.

For me Mercedes don't know how to react with a real competitor that isn't one of their own. They are so used to calling strategies between there own drivers that they don't know what to do to counter or stay one step ahead of the opposition because they've been so use to having no competition bar inter-team stuff.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #851 on: April 17, 2017, 07:01:34 pm »
Sainz pinged for that crash.  Had to be, could have had the book thrown at him for that attempt, far too far back.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129023/sainz-gets-grid-penalty-for-stroll-clash

Carlos Sainz has been handed a three-place grid penalty for the Russian Grand Prix for his accident with Lance Stroll in the Bahrain Formula 1 race.

The Spaniard and the Canadian made contact at Turn 1 on lap 13 of the race as Sainz emerged from the pits, forcing both cars to retire and triggering a safety car period.

Both drivers blamed each other for the crash and were summoned to see the stewards after the race.

The stewards found Sainz was at fault for what they labelled a "very optimistic attempt" at passing Stroll and the Spanish driver will drop three places on the grid in the next race in Russia.

He was also awarded two penalty points for a total of seven over the past 12 months.

"The stewards heard from Carlos Sainz, the driver of car 55, Lance Stroll, the driver of car 18 and the team representatives, reviewed the video evidence which showed that car 18 was on the normal racing line, car 55 left the pitlane and made a very optimistic attempt to pass car 18 into the corner," said the verdict on the incident.

"The stewards decided that the driver of car 55 was predominately to blame for causing the collision in violation of Article 27.4 of the FIA Formula 1 Sporting Regulations.

"The competitor is reminded that, in accordance with Article 12.2.4 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Article 38.3 g) of the FIA Formula 1 Sporting regulations, the above penalty is not susceptible to appeal."
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: April 18, 2017, 05:44:56 am »

There was no gap at that point though to undercut Hamilton.  He would've come out in heavy traffic and had his race completely compromised.  True Merc had to stack because of the safety car, but without it Seb would have been much further up the road.  I don't think that the safety car was a major factor either way, but do feel that Mercedes benefited more than Ferrari. 

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: April 18, 2017, 08:41:49 am »
I don't believe Vettel snatched anything though. Vettel was faster the whole race, even on the start he was closer to bottas than hamilton was closer to vettel. Hamilton might of been catching seb in the latter stages but Vettel was simply managing the pace.

He snatched it away in the sense that Mercedes shouldn't have lost that race. 1-2 on the grid with the race pace to win from there, Vettel stole it from them with impeccable driving. to be honest I dont think the latter stages he was managing anything other than trying to go as consistently fast as possible, Hamilton on much fresher rubber wouldve had him on toast if the gap hadnt been 19 seconds or whatever it was.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: April 19, 2017, 07:18:55 pm »
There was a young lad called billy monger had a dreadful accident in formula 4

He's had to have both legs amputated. Not posting a link to the crash but you can donate here to fund his treatment.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/billymonger23

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: April 19, 2017, 07:32:09 pm »
There was a young lad called billy monger had a dreadful accident in formula 4

He's had to have both legs amputated. Not posting a link to the crash but you can donate here to fund his treatment.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/billymonger23

I saw that crash the other day, it's a miracle he's alive to be honest. Best wishes to him.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: April 19, 2017, 07:34:59 pm »
I saw that crash the other day, it's a miracle he's alive to be honest. Best wishes to him.
I saw it too. No way he could avoid it

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #857 on: April 19, 2017, 10:32:40 pm »
I saw it too. No way he could avoid it

Devastating accident.  All things considered, absolutely wonderful news that he's alive - there was barely a moment to react and the force was massive.

No doubt a talented young man.  Here's hoping he can channel that talent and drive into his other - and new - dreams.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #858 on: April 28, 2017, 03:01:40 pm »
Ferrari looking good in practice, in a race experts thought Mercedes would dominate

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: April 29, 2017, 01:13:43 pm »
Ferrari look on it alright.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: April 29, 2017, 01:39:48 pm »
Never seen much in Jolyon Palmer. Looked a poor mistake in Q1. Worry I might be a little overly harsh on him, to offset the ridiculous overrating he gets in coverage as he's British, but really can't see much.

Having said that, his last quali was the best driving I remember seeing from him - so I'm being uber critical! Will find out more tomorrow

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #861 on: April 29, 2017, 01:50:20 pm »
Never seen much in Jolyon Palmer. Looked a poor mistake in Q1. Worry I might be a little overly harsh on him, to offset the ridiculous overrating he gets in coverage as he's British, but really can't see much.

Having said that, his last quali was the best driving I remember seeing from him - so I'm being uber critical! Will find out more tomorrow
He is nowhere near f1 standard, apart from his excuses
YNWA

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #862 on: April 29, 2017, 01:50:35 pm »

from what I've seen and read, he's not a fast learner. it takes him a while to get to grips with changes but to his credit he does get there.

he got stronger as the year went on last year and I think it took him a few years to win gp2 as well.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #863 on: April 29, 2017, 02:03:44 pm »
Can't even remember the last time there was no Mercedes on the front row of the grid.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #864 on: April 29, 2017, 02:04:55 pm »
proof if any more were needed that ferrari are for real

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: April 29, 2017, 02:07:37 pm »
Woohoo!!  Seb pole, Ferrari front row. 

October 2016...

"'I'm beginning to think Sebastian Vettel won't be in Formula 1 for the long haul, sooner or later into his early 30s', Brundle told Sky Sports.

'He came so young, he broke so many records. I just watch him at work and he's lost his mojo. That's the beginning of a problem.
"

Eat it Brundle!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #866 on: April 29, 2017, 02:08:51 pm »
15th and 17th pathetic McLaren.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: April 29, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »
I can't stand Ferrari but F1 needs someone pushing the Mercs so i can't begrudge their turn around this season as the sport needs it.

Be interesting to see how Mercedes react now as they are in new territory now being under pressure as it looks like Ferrari have the full package for qualy and race trim.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: April 29, 2017, 02:15:31 pm »
Yeah boi!!!

Bottas put Hamilton in the shade again there in quali

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: April 29, 2017, 02:17:22 pm »
Gutted for Raikkonen, looked set to improve on his fastest lap. Would have loved a Finn on pole in Russia. Still, glad he's performed well as he'd been under a bit of pressure.

Third sectors from Mercedes looked pretty ugly, surely Vettel wins tomorrow. For the spectacle, Vettel staying 3rd to fight with Hamilton in 4th might have made the race a bit better tomorrow. Still, can't wait. Loving this season
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:19:54 pm by Classycara »

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: April 29, 2017, 02:18:50 pm »
Bottas put Hamilton in the shade again there in quali

Was watching C4 today, so a bit less extreme than Sky, but I'm enjoying this. At Bahrain the commentators were saying "at what point does Bottas start to feel demoralised about never getting close to Hamilton". That's two races in a row Bottas has beaten him ha

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: April 29, 2017, 02:19:33 pm »
Those last laps. Not a single error-free S3 between the four of them.

Sad for Kimi though. So close!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: April 29, 2017, 02:27:58 pm »
Gutted for Raikkonen, looked set to improve on his fastest lap. Would have loved a Finn on pole in Russia. Still, glad he's performed well as he'd been under a bit of pressure.

Third sectors from Mercedes looked pretty ugly, surely Vettel wins tomorrow. For the spectacle, Vettel staying 3rd to fight with Hamilton in 4th might have made the race a bit better tomorrow. Still, can't wait. Loving this season

Karun mentioned in comms about the Mercedes having a longer wheelbase and therefor those trickier final corners might suit ferrari a bit more as opposed to Mercedes, I also think the tyres operate better for Ferrari and maybe the Mercedes can't string a consistent whole lap together here.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #873 on: April 30, 2017, 12:28:52 pm »
Eddie Jordan - Hamilton is bigger then Senna and Schumacher

The hyperbole knows no end when there is a decent British driver
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #874 on: April 30, 2017, 12:30:04 pm »
Eddie Jordan - Hamilton is bigger then Senna and Schumacher

The hyperbole knows no end when there is a decent British driver

:butt
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #875 on: April 30, 2017, 01:03:34 pm »
:lmao

McLaren breaks down on the formation lap
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: April 30, 2017, 01:03:44 pm »
Alonso doesn't even get to start

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: April 30, 2017, 01:03:52 pm »
Just fuck off McLaren

Your even ruining other people's races now as well as your own